• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, did I just get called out by Microsoft's JEFF BELL?!

fernoca

Yixian said:
boutmycontr.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mentalfloss said:
Dismantling the communal virtues of both 1up and Microsoft in the stroke of a thread. For once, it pays to be late on the action, eh IGN?

:lol :lol

FrankT

BLOG - So a guy going by the name of “a Master Ninja” over at NeoGaf poked fun at Microsoft exec Jeff Bell for his rather stiff performance during Microsoft’s E3 press conference. While his performance was admittedly not exactly… Shakespearean… his presentation was pretty much on par with all of the other execs’ appearances, who all sounded like they were reading directly from press releases (essentially they were). At NeoGaf, the Jeff Bell hilarity came to a head, when a user named bell801 private messaged a Master Ninja, who was ridiculing Bell. The message read: Subject: And your contribution to society is….what? Message body: ?
A mod confirmed that it is in fact is registered to Jeff Bell’s Microsoft e-mail addy.

NeoGaf went into a subsequent meltdown over this, as it is pretty hilarious and unusual to have a corporate VP—particularly one who is employed by the software giant that is Microsoft—call out a mouthy message board poster.

We should have more execs do this type of thing in regular intervals. I’d love to see some of these high level people really let their feelings show. Let it out. You’ll feel better. Bell did it, and he went from a wooden dummy reading a teleprompter to a guy with some kind of fire kindling in his belly. Let it out… Let it out.

To an extent, the way these execs trip over their words in their public speaking appearances is a good thing. It gives them more of an “every day guy” component. Jack Tretton in particular came right out and said that he was really nervous when he spoke at E3. I like that. Don’t come out and try to be a slick dude if you’re not at all charismatic or if you failed the Toastmasters course in junior high. People will see through that. Crazily enough, Peter Moore can somehow be charismatic while being awkward (see his Rock Band performance), and that’s a big compliment. Fils-Aime’s was a bit stiff in his presentation, but once he starts interacting with other people on stage he loosens up.

At this point, we don’t know what a Master Ninja’s answer to Bell’s question will be. What is his contribution to society? It could very well be his interchange with Bell. Hell if I know.

Bell came to Microsoft a little bit over a year ago from DaimlerChrysler, where I’m sure this type of thing is a regular occurrence (pause—NOT). Welcome to the gaming industry, Jeff. You’ve been mocked by message board posters and are now officially “in

Next-Gen's Blog is reserved for opinion pieces, quirky news stories and general news detritus. We welcome your comments on this article.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6489&Itemid=9

Sage00

Once And Future Member
crazyscreenwriter said:
If Bell didn't send the PM and if NeoGaf Mods didn't confirm his identity then Patrick would had no story. But they did...Its not Patrick fault. Its the fault of a V.P. of a major U.S. corporation acting like a 13 year old, and the fault of a Mod with not a lot of sense (or his/her own agenda).

Blaming a journalist because he reported on something stupid that happened right in front of him is ridiculous. Blame the people that did something stupid.

Its like blaming the failure of the Iraq War on the the Reporter's that report the news from Iraq, and not the premise of the entire thing to begin with!
Reporting on the Iraq war has no consequences, does it?
It's not the same thing at all.

And we know multiple journalists from other sites read gaf. Why didn't IGN report on it?

crazyscreenwriter said:
If Bell didn't send the PM and if NeoGaf Mods didn't confirm his identity then Patrick would had no story. But they did...Its not Patrick fault. Its the fault of a V.P. of a major U.S. corporation acting like a 13 year old, and the fault of a Mod with not a lot of sense (or his/her own agenda).

Blaming a journalist because he reported on something stupid that happened right in front of him is ridiculous. Blame the people that did something stupid.

Its like blaming the failure of the Iraq War on the the Reporter's that report the news from Iraq, and not the premise of the entire thing to begin with!

Ok, you're getting way out of context with the Iraq thing. That just doesn't apply here at all. Anyways, it IS Patrick's fault for blowing something so minuscule to HUGE proportions. Some of the media often does that and it's not a good thing, but it makes them a profit so they don't care what they mess up career-wise or whatnot.

Reilly

I think the fact that Jeff Bell owned a GAF poster is more newsworthy than the actual sending of the PM.

Don't **** with Jeff Bell. He'll call you out.

besada

Banned
bishoptl said:
What rule would that be, exactly?

Sorry for the slow response, I was driving home from work.

The one where you don't out industry people without their say so.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7056933&postcount=132
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7094749&postcount=901

Maybe it's not a rule, maybe it's just a recommendation. I suppose you could take that up with EvilLore and WasabiKing. But some mod clearly did out Bell, both in the thread and then later to a journalist.

Oh, and of course the TOS says not to directly insult people and you entered the thread by insulting a whole group of people, but hey, we'd all be banned if you ever enforced that rule.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
besada said:

Maybe it's not a rule, maybe it's just a recommendation. I suppose you could take that up with EvilLore and WasabiKing. But some mod clearly did out Bell, both in the thread and then later to a journalist.

Oh, and of course the TOS says not to directly insult people and you entered the thread by insulting a whole group of people, but hey, we'd all be banned if you ever enforced that rule.
Taken from the second link...
" Unless a user opts to use their real name (Jaffe, Dyack, Pachter), as a fellow user, we should always respect their privacy." -WasabiKing

Bell801.

besada said:

So I guess that mod might get in trouble? He took one for the team. Good Night sweet prince

Sage00 said:
Reporting on the Iraq war has no consequences, does it?

In the sense it enlightens people to the dire situation there yeah. In the sense (as some NeoCon's believe) that reporting what happens on the ground somehow causes "us" to "lose" no.

And we know multiple journalists from other sites read gaf. Why didn't IGN report on it?

They didn't want, or they didn't feel it was news worthy. Somebody did.

Why doesn't Keith Olbermann spend an entire show talking about Paris Hilton when Joe Scarborough does? Well, editorial decisions and taste. Still does not moderate their right to report what they want to report.

And it still does not change the fact that a reporter has a right to report what he wants to report, and that he doesn't cause the incident he is reporting on to happen.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Sage00 said:
That seemed unusual for a next-gen editor to me.

It is a blog post though I guess.

lol I see what you mean, I forgot when I actually picked that abbreviation up. :lol I still use it, I guess it's because I "forgot" how ot spell Address over the years ..

LOL...

itsgreen

besada said:

Bell moore or less (you see what I did there?) used his own name as his nick. It is a variation of his name + his regular nick.

Anyhow. Mucho respect to him, thinking everything might be ok with xbox afterall!

besada

Banned
DeathNote said:
" Unless a user opts to use their real name (Jaffe, Dyack, Pachter), as a fellow user, we should always respect their privacy." -WasabiKing

Bell801.

Nice disingenuous hair splitting. Oh, and nice how you cut out the apology on behalf on the mods that comes a sentence or two later. Dishonest much?

besada said:

err...bell used his real name and also that "801" thingy so this went to the other category i.e Is a person using a tag from the industry real or a faker.

DeathNote said:

Bell801.

Well, "Bell" is a common enough name that saying Jeff Bell used his real name is a bit of a stretch. Could've been the friggin' President of Bell Helicopter for all we knew. Of course it fit with the circumstances so...

itsgreen

MercuryLS said:
I really don't understand all the Jeff Bell hate, he seemed to be perfectly fine on stage at MS's press conference.

He is a little slimey... funny way of talking...

He is no Peter Moore, but if he remains himself everything should be ok...

itsgreen

RyltarX said:
That's what makes it so damn funny!

We should have a Neogaf calender, so everybody knows who we are bashing this week...

I vote Miyamoto for not innovating enough! or J Allard for dissapearing!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Soooo many people breaking rules #1 & 2... oh well this has been an awesome thread. This may be tabloid news but it's still news somewhat related to gaming so the outcry against 1up is pretty dumb. The true winner is AMN. Great job!

itsgreen said:
We should have a Neogaf calender, so everybody knows who we are bashing this week...

I vote Miyamoto for not innovating enough! or J Allard for dissapearing!

He didn't disappear, he went to develope the Zune which is equal grounds.

Top Bottom