• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Edge Scores

Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox, THQ): 8
Syphon Filter: Omega Strain (PS2, Sony): 3
Pikmin 2 (GC, Nintendo): 8
Thief: Deadly Shadows (Xbox, Eidos): 7
Onimusha 3 (PS2, Capcom) 7
Samurai Warriors (PS2, Koei): 5
Way of the Samurai 2 (PS2, Capcom):- 6
La Pucelle: Tactics (PS2, Nippon Ichi Software): 7
Custom Robo Battle Revolution (GC, Nintendo): 5
Van Helsing (Xbox / PS2, Vivendi): 5
Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2 (PS2, Namco): 6
Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA, Nintendo): 6

http://www.gamefront.de/

Mashing

How does an euro publication get a Pikmin review before us publications, especially considering the US gets the game first right?

8bit

Knows the Score
They might be a bit pissed that Advance Tour might be released before Mario Golf makes it's debut in Euroland.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
WTF? A score of 5 for Samurai Warriors? 6 for Mario Golf? Even Syphon Filter wasn't THAT bad (not great, either, but not bad).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
8bit said:
They might be a bit pissed that Advance Tour might be released before Mario Golf makes it's debut in Euroland.

They shouldn't be since it was mediocre and Advance Tour looks to be as good as Mario Golf on GBC which ruled. Eh.

I'm not sure what to make of Syphon Filter. It seems like an arcade shooter in some ways, with wacky controls and mission elements. The unlockables and score whoring is sort of cool. I haven't tried online yet.

I can't believe Custom Robo got a 5! That's generous by their strange standards.

Pikmin/Full Spectrum ---- Yay!!!

Soul4ger

Culex said:
X Play loved Syphon Filter OS. I wonder what Edge disliked about it.

Yes, X-Play is the paragon of fine opinion! Whatever could Edge dislike about it, if it has the X-Play seal of approval?!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Barring Gerstmann/X-Play/Edge etc...

Syphon Filter is a really damned enjoyable online action game rooted from similar greats of the yesteryear. Rebuilt for great 4-player co-operative matches, it doesn't deserve the joykill pissfest it is earning.

stonedwal

Didn't they give Toadstool Tour a similar mark? Can't remember. Nothing really surprising amongst the other scores.

cja

Lyte Edge said:
WTF? A score of 5 for Samurai Warriors? 6 for Mario Golf? Even Syphon Filter wasn't THAT bad (not great, either, but not bad).

CVXFREAK said:
Crappy score for Onimusha 3.

Guys, guys, this is Edge we're talking about here. They've only handed out two nines so far this year (6 issues) to Ninja Gaiden and Zelda: Four Swords. Getting a seven is not a crappy score. I add two to every Edge score to get a US style rating :)

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
cja said:
Guys, guys, this is Edge we're talking about here. They've only handed out two nines so far this year (6 issues) to Ninja Gaiden and Zelda: Four Swords. Getting a seven is not a crappy score. I add two to every Edge score to get a US style rating :)

So yours go up to 11?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The Mario Golf score is not exactly what I expected. The game was really really good at E3, and no one has really had anything negative to say about it.

pilonv1

Nothing to see here. Although its interesting to see La Pucelle get 7 when Disgaea recieved a 9. I'm dying to read the review text for Syphon Filter now.

Yep, they always review Japanese and US imports.

Unless they're heavily story focused (ie Wind Waker).

belgurdo

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Nothing to see here. Although its interesting to see La Pucelle get 7 when Disgaea recieved a 9.

Not enough pyramid killing and outdated anime humor for their tastes, I guess

cja

Agent Dormer said:
So yours go up to 11?
12 silly :p. If Edge give a nine or ten of course its of more importance than an EGM or Game Informer giving out the same score, it's a scarcer occurance. Compare gamerankings averages with Edge scores to see most of the games that get a 5 or 6 in Edge average 70 to 80 percent in the rest of the gaming press.

pilonv1

Every month....

Time for the monthly Edge scores* explantation:

0 - Nothing
1 - Disasterous
2 - Appaling
3 - Severly flawed
4 - Disappointing
5 - Average
6 - Competent
7 - Distinguished
8 - Excellent
9 - Astounding
10 - Revolutionary.

* - scores meaningless without text.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
cja said:
12 silly :p. If Edge give a nine or ten of course its of more importance than an EGM or Game Informer giving out the same score, it's a scarcer occurance. Compare gamerankings averages with Edge scores to see most of the games that get a 5 or 6 in Edge average 70 to 80 percent in the rest of the gaming press.

I was trying to make a Spinal Tap joke and obviously failed. :(

Egde's rating system is so much better than other magazines. I see too many near-perfect scores on magazines like EGM and Gamepro that it doesn't even mean anything any more.

Top Bottom