• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Streets of Rage 4 screenshots. Looks like signature Streets of Rage.

SALMORE

loving the the teaser track ! it's very Genesis inspired

i think we will have two brand new characters ( Guitar girl & Cyborg ) and one returning ( above axel & blaze ) which i think it will be Adam

Orta

Banned
Look out Blaze! :messenger_beaming:

daBuYJ.jpg

kevm3

Game is looking nice, but the rihanna villain looks wack. Make a main villain that actually looks dangerous and not part of some girllzz are tough too agenda.

Soodanim

There are a number of reasons I very much enjoy SoR1-3 and SoRR, and this seems to include very little of it.

Reminds me of when Rocket Knight came back. Back then I bought it blindly, hoping it would live up to its origins. It didn't, and it looks like this won't either.

Kazza

I really feel sorry for Ben Fiquet (the animator/artist at Lizardcube). He is a bona fide artist who studied fine arts and animation, and he still gets people saying how his creations looks like flash games. Come on, this is some nice animation:

BlazeIdle_03.gif

Axel_Idle03_4.gif

He also did the graphics for the Dragon Traps remake, which looked absolutely gorgeous:

r2etzxqrlu65a8wmuxyd.gif

While looking on his website, I also discovered some concept art for a potential Kid Chameleon remake. I think it looks really good:

Character02.jpg

Mockup01-2.jpg

Mockup01-3.jpg

The SoR4 characters already look like they blend in with the backgrounds much better than in the previous trailer, and I'm confident that this will look great once it's finished.

Maguro

I'm a big SoR Fan but i don't like this Browser-Game Artstyle at all. In any of these new "old" games. I just think it looks cheap. Why not make it a 16 bit pixel game ? Why does the world hate 16 bit games nowadays?

radewagon

I really feel sorry for Ben Fiquet (the animator/artist at Lizardcube). He is a bona fide artist who studied fine arts and animation, and he still gets people saying how his creations looks like flash games. Come on, this is some nice animation:

And yet it does look like Flash. I don't know why, but it does.

That said, I loved Wonder Boy's look and I am very much impressed with what I'm seeing from SOR4.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Double Post. Sorry.

I do not think it is an issue with the artist not being able to draw or anything of course, the outlines, shapes in general, are just too perfect and precisely cut as if it was using vector graphics tools (which would also help make it more resolution independent if it were) to draw it all. Look at the Kid Chameleon screenshot comparisons posted above for an example...

Kazza

And yet it does look like Flash. I don't know why, but it does.

That said, I loved Wonder Boy's look and I am very much impressed with what I'm seeing from SOR4.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it when people say it looks like a flash game, but I always get the feeling that it is meant in a derogatory way. I'm a big pixel art fan myself (I even backed this kickstarter, in part because of its gorgeous NeoGeo-like pixel graphics), and initially wasn't too keen on the presentation, but I've gown to appreciate it, especially now that the characters seem to mesh with the background much better than before.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I just feel sorry for the guy, who probably spends a lot of time and effort painstakingly drawing and animating the graphics, only for them to be dismissed as reminiscent of a cheap mobile game.

Enjay

Banned
Maybe I'm reading too much into it when people say it looks like a flash game, but I always get the feeling that it is meant in a derogatory way. I'm a big pixel art fan myself (I even backed this kickstarter, in part because of its gorgeous NeoGeo-like pixel graphics), and initially wasn't too keen on the presentation, but I've gown to appreciate it, especially now that the characters seem to mesh with the background much better than before.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I just feel sorry for the guy, who probably spends a lot of time and effort painstakingly drawing and animating the graphics, only for them to be dismissed as reminiscent of a cheap mobile game.
Cheap internet browser game.* And I would definitely feel for that person if they weren't working a paying job on a classic IP.

Enjay

Banned
I'm a big SoR Fan but i don't like this Browser-Game Artstyle at all. In any of these new "old" games. I just think it looks cheap. Why not make it a 16 bit pixel game ? Why does the world hate 16 bit games nowadays?
It takes a lot more talent to make a good game out of only 16-bits,almost a lost art. They went the quick and easy route of a modern engine.

Kazza

Thanks to early flash games, when I see Sprite scaling or rotation without pixelization, I think it looks cheap. My first introduction to sprite scaling / rotation was the SNES so that's what I consider real video game graphics
It's crazy what a stigma it is. Like, playing Monster Boy, my mind flickers between "mind-blowing hand crafted 2D" and "up-jumped Newgrounds Flash game", basically on the super clean rotations and segmented animations.

Just read these from earlier in the thread. I had a long period of quite a few years where I didn't play any games, so seem to have missed the whole "cheap 2D flash game" phenomenon. Maybe that's why I don't have the same negative reaction as some folks.

The first two 2D games I played after my long absence from gaming were Rayman Origins and Muramusa: The Demon Blade

giphy.gif

tumblr_ojbscdQQSL1tt3wuco1_500.gif

igf7cvxzxxbtl.gif

I was absolutely blown away by both. Does anyone consider these to be cheap/flash looking? I think they look amazing!

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

BlazeIdle_03.gif

Axel_Idle03_4.gif

He also did the graphics for the Dragon Traps remake, which looked absolutely gorgeous:

r2etzxqrlu65a8wmuxyd.gif

While looking on his website, I also discovered some concept art for a potential Kid Chameleon remake. I think it looks really good:

Character02.jpg

Mockup01-2.jpg

Mockup01-3.jpg

The SoR4 characters already look like they blend in with the backgrounds much better than in the previous trailer, and I'm confident that this will look great once it's finished.
This Kid Chameleon works very well, even better than the original game whose graphics were very bland, generic.
But i'm still not a big fan of the new style for SOR4. (Needs more details, animations, i don't know. Like many said, it feels a little cheap). Not saying the original Streets of Rage were magnificent like Golden Axe RODA, but it worked.

This concept art get me hyped for a Lizardcube KC, Pulseman, or Alex Kid though.

Kazza

This concept art get me hyped for a Lizardcube KC, Pulseman, or Alex Kid though.

Since they will have already created a beat'em up engine with SoR4, I would like to see them try their hand at a new Alien Storm game. While Golden Axe is the more well known game, I feel that a Golden Axe game with the SoR4 graphical style would attract the same criticism as SoR4, whereas Alien Storm had a more cartoony presentation to begin with, and so would be more suited to Lizardcube's style.

alienstorm12mb.gif

SegaShack

BlazeIdle_03.gif

Axel_Idle03_4.gif

r2etzxqrlu65a8wmuxyd.gif

Character02.jpg

Mockup01-2.jpg

Mockup01-3.jpg

Has nothing to do with the animator but I do not like this art style for Streets of Rage but it does actually look cool for Kid Chameleon. But, why does all this company's games look the same?

zenspider

Just read these from earlier in the thread. I had a long period of quite a few years where I didn't play any games, so seem to have missed the whole "cheap 2D flash game" phenomenon. Maybe that's why I don't have the same negative reaction as some folks.

The first two 2D games I played after my long absence from gaming were Rayman Origins and Muramusa: The Demon Blade

giphy.gif

tumblr_ojbscdQQSL1tt3wuco1_500.gif

igf7cvxzxxbtl.gif

I was absolutely blown away by both. Does anyone consider these to be cheap/flash looking? I think they look amazing!

The UbiArt can trigger the reaction for me - what it really comes down to is sprite rotation without pixel artifacts (ala 16-bit consoles) or new blit animations - just literally rotating a sprite cleanly in a 'segmented' animation. Hard to see in the gif, but Rayman's feet just sort of move in space - the pixels don't change. There looks like there's some sort of blur effect in post, but it can just look like high-busget Flash animation with a video process on it to me.

Vanillaware has beautiful animations and deformations operating on all thier 3D "sprites", so it never looks reminiscent of the Flash/Director web look.

Anyone who thinks Vanillaware games look cheap doesn't deserve eyes.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Has nothing to do with the animator but I do not like this art style for Streets of Rage but it does actually look cool for Kid Chameleon. But, why does all this company's games look the same?
1 artist with 1 style. Kid Chameleon pic looks like a newgrounds game too. It just doesn't look right for a Streets of Rage remake.

Kazza

New interview with tssznews. Some interesting titbits:

We also evolved the gameplay, so we looked at the previous games and looked into what doesn’t work – for example, if you do your special, you lose life, and it doesn’t feel that good. Now, you can regain the life you lost from your special by hitting enemies. Also, enemies used to fly off the screen, so now we’ve added “walls” to the left and right of the screen, and enemies can bounce off of them. We’ve added new moves too, like air specials and Star Moves, and we made the weapon system more robust. You can pick up and throw weapons, and you can catch them in the air. It’s part refinement, and part adding new stuff.

The has been speculation on whether or not they would add RPG elements in order to add more depth to the gameplay, but it seems they are sticking to arcade style gameplay:

We’re not going to put RPG elements in or anything like that. It’s going to be an arcade experience, with game modes that will allow you to get better at the game and enjoy the challenge.

With regards to the the art style:

From the start, we wanted to do something that felt fresh, and that meant using a brand-new art style. If we did it retro, it could be done really well, but it wouldn’t be as fresh. The new art style is really integral to it. Personally, what I like about it is that it’s very precise. It is a new art style, but the size of the character relative to the screen is the same as in the old games. You have so much detail, and it’s very clear where everyone is, so I think it serves the game well. We also think that is the game’s creators were making this game as a new game and a new IP, they would want to make it in this art style and not use pixel art.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
While you are waiting for SoR4 release, check out the last demonstration of "Legend of the Double Dragon".

Last edited:

Hudo

The real important question is: Who's the composer for Streets of Rage 4? Is it the magnificent Yuzo Koshiro? I surely hope so...

molasar

Banned
The real important question is: Who's the composer for Streets of Rage 4? Is it the magnificent Yuzo Koshiro? I surely hope so...

No information was released about it yet. Hopefully he still has what it takes to make great music.

Last edited:

Kazza

FYI, I saw the publisher state a little while back on Twitter that they won't be showing anything new during E3, so that footage is all we're likely to get for a while.

Also, would anyone like to take a guess on a release date? I would say around spring of 2020. The gameplay mechanics seem to all be there in working order, but we've haven't seen anything past the first level. I wonder how much level design work has been done already. I'm tempted to avoid looking at any footage past level 1 to keep everything a surprise.

molasar

Banned

"Cherry Hunter is the daughter of Adam Hunter from the original Streets of Rage. Her interest in following in her father’s footsteps and becoming a cop soon faded out, replaced by her love of music. Nowadays, she plays with her electro progressive rock band."

Last edited:

Klart

Not bad, but not my thing. Looks like the 4th character will be a Max (maybe even Max?) style cyborg.

Wonko_C

Female Sammy Hunter but the gimmick is guitar instead of skates? Give it to me nao!

Could the 4th character be related to Dr. Zan?

dirthead

Banned
Female Sammy Hunter but the gimmick is guitar instead of skates? Give it to me nao!

Could the 4th character be related to Dr. Zan?

At least you could kind of buy a kid wearing skates on the street, but carrying around a guitar is just bizarre and dumb. What is this, Guilty Gear?

Wonko_C

At least you could kind of buy a kid wearing skates on the street, but carrying around a guitar is just bizarre and dumb. What is this, Guilty Gear?

it's a video game series where one of the characters was 60 year old scientist who turned himself into a bad-ass cyborg. Not the usual thing you see on the streets.

dirthead

Banned
it's a video game series where one of the characters was 60 year old scientist who turned himself into a bad-ass cyborg. Not the usual thing you see on the streets.

No, that's just one of the reasons that SOR3 was a step down. Everything about it was too weird from the characters to the music. You can kind of get away with enemies/bosses as bizarre freaks, but old dude cyborgs was stupid in SOR3 just like this character is stupid now.

Wonko_C

No, that's just one of the reasons that SOR3 was a step down. Everything about it was too weird from the characters to the music. You can kind of get away with enemies/bosses as bizarre freaks, but old dude cyborgs was stupid in SOR3 just like this character is stupid now.

SOR 3 is still canon, so it already set the precedent to making crazy things in the sequel, wheter you like it or not.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
StreetsofRage4.png

While the lack of Blaze is upsetting the other characters and Axel (Jr. in this case) don't look like shit. I'd rather have 4 good looking characters to play as instead of only 1 (maybe 2 if the last guy doesn't look like ass).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are overdoing the shading on the sprites, they don't stand out as much as they did in the old games. Also, the punches don't seem to land very hard, almost as if the characters punched in the air.

dirthead

Banned
SOR 3 is still canon, so it already set the precedent to making crazy things in the sequel, wheter you like it or not.

It's not like there's any real need to have a beat 'em up cinematic universe. You can do basically anything and no one will care as long as it "feels" right. People don't even like older/fatter Axel even though it's more world building if time actually passed between the games. The point is that SOR3 was obviously the wrong direction.

I think they are overdoing the shading on the sprites, they don't stand out as much as they did in the old games. Also, the punches don't seem to land very hard, almost as if the characters punched in the air.

One week after release and people will only care about SOR2 again. Painfully obvious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom