• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New video shows how much more data Windows 11 sends compared to older versions

Unknown?

And you know the crazy part? As per the YouTube comment from the person who made it: that’s Windows 11 with telemetry set to off already.

twilo99

Google showed everyone the way. They’ve been doing this for decades now, we all know about it, but we keep using it, so everyone else wants piece of the pie now, since there is no real pushback. Sure, they lost a few eyes to DuckDuckGo or whatever, but overall.. no one cares.

Same here, they will loose some numbers to Linux, but overall… no one cares.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You know how in the video, the guy tries going to that "research" site, and it's blocked by uBlock Origin?

If you install either Pihole or AdGuard Home on your network, this telemetry data isn't going to resolve anywhere and therefore won't be able to send any of this junk out from your machine.

The Stig

mild-shock.gif

I'm currently reading this book by Oxford professor Carissa Veliz which talks about the data economy of user information and what steps can be taken to reduce your digital footprint. It's a little overwhelming with it's message of how large tech companies are bad for hoarding large amounts of personal data for nefarious purposes, but I would recommend that everybody should cut down if possible.

41Vvww4ChdL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I would also highly recommend anyone interested in data privacy run their devices through a service like Proton VPN. They even have a "netshield" option, that will block ads and things similar to Pihole or AdGuard.

The reason I mention Proton VPN specifically, is that they are 100% funded by users paying for their services. A lot of VPN companies are just as bad (or worse) than Microsoft is and will capture and sell your browsing habits.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I'm currently reading this book by Oxford professor Carissa Veliz which talks about the data economy of user information and what steps can be taken to reduce your digital footprint. It's a little overwhelming with it's message of how large tech companies are bad for hoarding large amounts of personal data for nefarious purposes, but I would recommend that everybody should cut down if possible.

41Vvww4ChdL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg
That's a good book, read it myself as well!

jshackles

If it is sending out data on a fresh install what info are they really getting?
Microsoft's telemetry data has information about the device itself and how it's configured - CPU, memory, storage, GPU, etc. This is pretty similar to Steam's hardware survey, but the data is black boxed at Microsoft and not released publicly. So, at the very least, Microsoft is compiling data on which components are the most prevalent. The data also sends them info like system uptime, sleep settings and timings, etc.

Nothing world shattering if you don't have any documents stored on that PC, but still maybe data you wouldn't want to give to Microsoft.

Gp1

So much hardware data shared with Ms...
And the damn MS Store sucks, the MS Defender lags pretty hard on your HDD/SSD and the windows update crashes now an then.

jason10mm

I just booted up an ebay refurb pc and it sucked up a few gigs worth of downloads and I never even completed the set up. I figure most of it was updates. Very little uploads though.

ManaByte

Huuuuhhh?
Microsoft's telemetry data has information about the device itself and how it's configured - CPU, memory, storage, GPU, etc. This is pretty similar to Steam's hardware survey, but the data is black boxed at Microsoft and not released publicly. So, at the very least, Microsoft is compiling data on which components are the most prevalent. The data also sends them info like system uptime, sleep settings and timings, etc.

Nothing world shattering if you don't have any documents stored on that PC, but still maybe data you wouldn't want to give to Microsoft.

BlackTron

So when I got a new laptop that came with Windows 11 and decided to make it a dedicated gaming device and continue to do all my normal browsing and file management on my old Win7 machine, I was on the right track? TBH I still haven't even logged into my Google account on it.

I'm not fully versed in the current state of this stuff but it's been in the back of my mind lately. I was considering obliterating Windows completely except for the one gaming laptop. If I'm gonna take the shift seriously though I wanna do my research and do the whole job in a swift coordinated fashion. And not like protect my privacy one way while blatantly giving it away the very next breath lol

winjer

How to disable?

There isn't really a way to disable everything. But you can use Chris Titus Debloat tool, to limit most of it.

Just open Powershell and run tis comand:

iwr -useb https://christitus.com/win | iex

This will open a program with several Windows 10/11 tweaks. One of them is to disable telemetry.

This is the Github page, with the source code, where people contribute to this tool. And where other people can see what it does and if it's safe.

CGNoire

There isn't really a way to disable everything. But you can use Chris Titus Debloat tool, to limit most of it.

[/URL]

This will open a program with several Windows 10/11 tweaks. One of them is to disable telemetry.

This is the Github page, with the source code, where people contribute to this tool. And where other people can see what it does and if it's safe.

[/URL]
Thanks.

LordOfChaos

If you don't pay for a product you are the product

I really wish I could pay a hundo or something for a Windows version without any of the freemium nightmare in it, no advertising services, no trying to default me to saving on their services rather than my local desktop, no telemetry using energy and battery life except where diagnostically necessary, an OS built for the user again.

Anyways I have NextDNS set up at my router level and it's eye opening how much is being sent out. Especially my Roku TV even while it's off. You can also block platform level tracking like Microsoft, Apple, Google, Roku etc.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I really wish I could pay a hundo or something for a Windows version without any of the freemium nightmare in it, no advertising services, no trying to default me to saving on their services rather than my local desktop, no telemetry using energy and battery life except where diagnostically necessary, an OS built for the user again.

Anyways I have NextDNS set up at my router level and it's eye opening how much is being sent out. Especially my Roku TV even while it's off. You can also block platform level tracking like Microsoft, Apple, Google, Roku etc.
NextDNS is great! I have a VPN service that does DNS blocking as well, otherwise I'd use NextDNS.

MrSinoox

Neo Member
Were they not honest about their business model? Windows has been free since 10. What was their explanation for that? I thought it was pretty obvious that Windows was spyware at that point. Fortunately there are tools to get around it in some part, but you never really know for sure when they're constantly making updates. This is why I'm rooting for Steam OS and for Valve to make their Linux distro into a viable product outside of just being used for the Deck. We need to get away from this BS.

Irobot82

Use a PiHole to block all that.

Filth

this is amazing thank you. :D

Mistake

Be careful of any windows debloaters you guys use. I didn’t keep a restore point before using it on 10, and eventually I couldn’t do security updates. My only option is a fresh install. My system still works fine otherwise

Top Bottom