• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans Are Remaking Zelda: Link's Awakening In The Style Of Link To The Past

Bullet Club

Fans Are Remaking Zelda: Link's Awakening In The Style Of Link To The Past

How long until Nintendo’s lawyers step in?

DyVTgBP.jpg

A fansite called ZeldaForce is currently hard at work on a remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, swapping its visual style to suit that of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES.

The project is called 'A Link to the Dream' and is planned to be released on platforms like AmigaOS, Windows, and MacOS in 2020. It's still very much a work in progress, but the project's website has shared several images and videos showing how it's all coming together. And it's looking lovely.

bQGE40j.png

The site has hours and hours' worth of footage showing the project's creators doing their thing; most are spoken entirely in French, but this one below has been presented in English. You can get a good look at the game running here and even check out how it all comes together.

If you're interested in keeping an eye on the project's progress, you can check out the website here. Of course, Nintendo has its very own official rerelease of the game coming this year for the Switch, too - it's definitely not a bad time to be a fan of Link's Awakening.

Source: Nintendo Life

Last edited:

Shifty

Hmm. Respect to them for putting in the work, but the LTTP style has never done it for me.

I have zero nostalgia for that game, so I'll stick with the GBC version.

Looks fantastic, but surely Nintendo will be closing this down? Particularly since the remake is imminent.
If the AM2R situation is anything to go by, expect stormy seas :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:
Interesting idea and impressive work, but I strongly prefer the Game Boy visuals.

The design of the original Link's Awakening surpasses LTTP in every way for me, particularly in the sense of very tight, uncluttered layout and controls.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
"planned to be released on platforms like AmigaOS, Windows, and MacOS "
I thought this would be an actual SNES hack. Don't really care now.

Playing it on a real SNES system would have been cooler.

Fbh

Why would they announce this now when they seem to be a year away from release and Nintendo just announced a remake of their own???
It's like they are asking to get a cease and desist letter

iconmaster

Banned
The last time this happened -- with AM2R -- fans got upset when Nintendo revealed it was remaking (and probably had been for a while) the same game as the fans. As if Nintendo would be ripping anyone off by remaking a game Nintendo itself produced. And a really tremendous Metroid game ended up somewhat tarnished by the reaction.

Since we already know about the Nintendo remake this time, that's unlikely to happen again. But after that debacle, I'd honestly rather fans just not tackle these projects.

Pejo

I don't understand these guys. Anyone with the interest and knowledge of how to actually accomplish this must already know about the Nintendo lawyers. Why would you release info before it's done, you're just going to get the ol' C&D. If it were me doing this, I'd just finish it and then release it all at once.

Ah well, looks neat.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
While the effort and technical expertise that went into this is cool, I wish they had either tried an original art style or even just do something completely original in the first place.

One of the things that makes Nintendo so cool is they are not afraid to shake things up. ALTTP was cool but the art style was a bit dull. So this is not enticing to me

Codes 208

I loved LttP, it’s one of my favorites but seeing another game using the exact assets looks off, it’s links awakening but all I see is LttP.

They could’ve atleast changed his hair color.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I might try it if something like this did release, I strongly prefer LttP’s art style to the handheld ones.

ExpandKong

Banned
Did they wait until after nintendo announced their own remake before announcing their fan project remake, which they have slated to release the year after Nintendo’s remake?

This thing will never see release.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why do people waste time doing this? It's 100% guaranteed to get shut down.

Create somthing similar, in the spirit of what came before.

iconmaster

Banned
Create somthing similar, in the spirit of what came before.

Right. They could pour all this effort into an original IP that they would then own.

They'd attract less initial attention, sure. But they'd also attract less legal action; and there are no shortage of breakout indie success stories.

ultrazilla

Welp, that's a wrap on that.

How many times do modders need to be given cease and desist notices before other modders they realize they should keep their mouths shut until
their work is finished and released?!!

Whitesnake

Banned
Why do the people behind nintendo fan-projects have a chronic inability to learn from the past mistakes of others. If you’re gonna make a fan game, especially a nintendo fan game, shut the fuck up about it.

This hack getting articles written about is literally the worst thing that could possibly hapoen to it. It's now gauranteed to be C&D’d by nintendo.

Relevant:
D2q7HaOU0AANI7k

Ballthyrm

It make me sad that these talented people need a Nintendo crutch to make their game.
The US legal system don't really give Nintendo a choice, either protect your IP or lose it.

Remaking a game from one of the most valuable video game franchise of old time is guaranteed trouble.

If you are really passionate about remaking old game, better take your chance with Sega (Wonder boy and Sonic mania are perfect examples)

Bakkus

Ugh. take inspiration in the art department from the Quintent games. Not something which was developed before SNES even game out and looks very primitive even for SNES standards because of it.

Tesseract

Banned
it doesn't work imo, link's awakening style is absolutely nothing like past

still, i'll prolly play the shit outta this

avalonzero

I will never understand why these things get announced before they are finished. Nintendo will definitely shut this down and all this great work will be for nothing. Better to quietly finish it, then release it, and when you inevitably get the cease and desist, it's already all over the place so it will survive the lawyers.

Top Bottom