• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS (Dual Screen), Platinum $199.82 11/30/2004 @ Walmart.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

WordofGod

Banned
Razoric said:
Go ahead and spend $200 bucks on a damn portable that will have minimal games for the next few months. I'll enjoy the Fall hits on the console systems.

I will sell some games and get a DS for about $120. That seems cheap to me! :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Not to mention there's no possible way Nintendo won't be dropping the DS before Black Friday.

Alcibiades

I think I predicted this price point quite a while back, it makes perfect sense.

They are going to sell out no matter what price for Christmas. They are running low are Sharp LCD's, and who knows how many they can allocate to US/Japan for this year.

Whatever the price and whatever the shipment numbers, you'll see this fly off the shelves. I'm sure even non-Nintendo fans are going to take a look, this is going to target people looking for the "new" gadget in gaming.

Then, once they've sold a good 3-4 million at this amount in US/Japan, they can afford a $20 price drop right around the time PSP launches (probably next March, but who knows about a delay maybe).

Nintendo wants to make a profit on hardware, that was no secret. If people go back to old posts (don't know if it was GAF or neo-GAF) I remember saying the $199 price point was the probably route.

+1 my analysis and prediction, even though I was off initially on the upcoming pricecut for GBA:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=5755&highlight=$199

efralope said:
$149 for DS is too low considering the $99 SP currently in the market (which doesn't need a price drop anytime soon, considering the brisk sales)...

$199 sounds just about right for the DS, I'd be surprised if they launched at $180 considering the price of the two screens and how much more it packs than SP (also, my bet is Nintendo wants to make good money off the hardware anyway)...

In fact, I wouldn't expect a price drop for either when PSP launches unless it significantly affects sales...

Either way, expect launch quantities to sell out if there is a November launch...

Also, expect a successful run for DS no matter what the price, this thing, if it launches in Christmas, will have a lot of momentum going in the new year...

bow.gif

hmm, another prophetic post:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=5798&highlight=$199

efralope said:
$129 GBA vs. $69 GBC

is very different from

$99 SP. (maybe even $79) vs. $199 DS/PSP...

plus, a little jab at PSP: http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=7938&page=2&pp=50&highlight=$199

BeOnEdge said:
you wanna pay $180 for a GBA with a scratch pad be my guest.

efralope said:
I'll pay $199 if it's that price, and looking at GBA vs. XBox sales, it's going to be interesting how DS does against PSP and Xenon in '05...

that said, it could all be placeholder data, in fact, considering the surprise (to me at least, considering they would have sold a ton at $100 anyway) GBA price-cut, I wouldn't be surprised now at a last-minute lowering of DS price if Nintendo manufactures more than they expect. In fact, maybe they are just lowering expectations so that gamers can say they'll wait till it's cheaper, then drop the price before it launches, rather than starting at $150 and have people say they'll wait till it's $120, start at $200 and have people say they'll wait till it's $180 or $150. Clever idea if true, but they really don't need to do that. If their upper price range is $200, they'll sell what they need to at that price...

Insertia

$149 would have been somewhat understandable, $129 would have been even better. $199 is just wrong.

Maybe the GBA sheep will eat it up?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
DSN2K said:
you guys really think Nintendo are going to release this at 199 ? :lol

I care more about the game msrp, thats what would cost you more in the long run.

teiresias

you guys really think Nintendo are going to release this at 199 ?

This is Nintendo. They'd charge $200 for a repackaged Commodore64 running a 4-color Zelda game if they thought they could trot out Miyamoto, have him say it is "teh innovative," convince all the Nbots of such, and have it sell to the sheep.

Insertia said:
Maybe the GBA sheep will eat it up?

GBA and Nintendo fanboy sheep, yes. Or, it could actually turn into another Virtual Boy fiasco. Could, Could! DON'T BAN ME (DJ) AGAIN PLEEZ KTHYXBYE! :( *sob*

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
doomed.

and i don't think this tells us anything about what the psp will cost -- if the ds costs $200, it's because nintendo is gouging, not because of the technology. if the psp comes in at $200-$250, you can capitalize that "doomed" and perhaps put it in bold as well.

teiresias

I don't think Nintendo has much to worry about in terms of the PSP price. There will be enough of difference in launch window that they can get away with a price-drop around that time without looking very bad. But it's obvious, if it does launch at $200, that they're gouging in order to pick up more profit prior to the PSP launch when they'll have to more appropriately price the unit for its technology.

LukeSmith

WordofGod said:
Are u really a gamer, because if you are price would not be an issue. Sell some games and save up for it. There are going to be some amazing games that you cannot play anywhere else and that is why I play games. For great games….

I better see your receipt from purchasing the Phantom this year, because if you are REALLY a gamer...

Hero

Nintendo would be retarded to sell it for 199.99. This would put it at above what an Xbox/PS2 costs.

I'm going to say that the system will launch at 129.99, making a nice, comfortable 50 dollar difference between it and the GBASP. Nintendo knows that one of the reasons the GB line has done so well is becaues it's affordable.

The DS for 200 bucks?

Gaming consoles never looked so good. Especially with their represented games releasing this year. Either this Walmart thing is a fake or the DS is going to be released in short supplies this year.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Has everyone got me blocked or something?

Is this new or not? WordofGod clearly doesn't know (he probably just took it from a different messageboard), be nice if he'd actually say either way though rather than ignoring it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mama Smurf said:
Has everyone got me blocked or something?

Is this new or not? WordofGod clearly doesn't know (he probably just took it from a different messageboard), be nice if he'd actually say either way though rather than ignoring it.

Not to mention we had the same exact thread, same exact arguments when EB and GS put up the same fucking info.
Here's a hint, we don't know. Nintendo will tell us eventually, and then we'll know.
Jumping Jesus on a horesefly's ass.
You're all going nuts over the price, but you don't see how its fundamentally wrong because Nintendo will not release this on NOVEMBER THIRTIETH.
Even if they put it out at $199 they would not miss the biggest shopping day of the fucking year.
Its placeholder data. Just fucking wait.

Che

Banned
Nintendo can't be so extremely retarded. Well if they really want to screw their chances to keep being #1 in the handheld market let them do it. It'll be a suicide that's for sure.

You guys do realize that EBgames and Gamestop both listed the DS months ago at $200. What did everybody say? "Oh, that's just them speculating."

SAME THING HERE, DUH.

They have to release the launch info soon. Next week is the middel of Spetember for crying out load. I'll assume they want to launch in the middle of November, so that leaves just 9 weeks until launch with no idea of price on hardware/games or launch line up. Surely we'll have confirmation soon enough, I'd presonally expect a $150 for the DS and $40 for the games.

RevenantKioku

Chibbi Brady said:
Surely we'll have confirmation soon enough, I'd presonally expect a $150 for the DS and $40 for the games.

What makes you think $40 for the games? Even assuming an increase in game development cost, I think the cheaper technology of the carts will keep the price floating around $30, $35 max.

RevenantKioku said:
What makes you think $40 for the games? Even assuming an increase in game development cost, I think the cheaper technology of the carts will keep the price floating around $30, $35 max.

I think it has something to do with the fact that people are retarded and will pay more for a game simply because it's in 3D.

Honestly, $35 sounds about right to me.

Just trying to keep expectations low. If I expect $40 and we get $40 then I'm ok with it, if we get around $30 then obviously I'm delighted.

Kai

Well, there goes the forum. Honestly, if Nintendo was going for the cheaper alternative to the PSP and continue its line of "cheaper" hardware, I don't know that many people that will jump on this as an early adopter especially with the lack of quality software announced thus far. I hate to say it but I think this will bomb.

Then again, they may open with this price and then drop it as soon as the PSP hits the market when the DS is more established and has more games. Interesting to say the least but I always buy Nintendo consoles on launch day and imported the SP early, but I think I may wait a while to see how this pans out.

RevenantKioku

Kai said:
Well, there goes the forum. Honestly, if Nintendo was going for the cheaper alternative to the PSP and continue its line of "cheaper" hardware, I don't know that many people that will jump on this as an early adopter especially with the lack of quality software announced thus far. I hate to say it but I think this will bomb.

Then again, they may open with this price and then drop it as soon as the PSP hits the market when the DS is more established and has more games. Interesting to say the least but I always buy Nintendo consoles on launch day and imported the SP early, but I think I may wait a while to see how this pans out.

Talk to a few parents whose kids have GBAs.
Trust me, the fact that this plays GBA games and is a Nintendo handheld guarantees its success.

SyNapSe

Ok, I don't watch a lot of mainstream TV. I mainly only watch sports, so maybe I have missed the commercials. Have they had DS commercials yet? If they seriously intend to launch for this Xmas, isn't the beginning of November the latest you would want to launch?

If so, that's 6 weeks away. It seems like their should be commercials by now, and the pricing has to come out reasonably soon, I'd think.

PSP will sell at a significant premium to this, so if it's true, I think it's bad news for both camps. I'll probably still get one at launch, but I'm willing to pay quite a lot to experience this first.. I'm just like that. Do they just want to sell to people like me, or do they want to sell as many as possible?

My feeling is it's probably the latter, and this price is an estimate that's a little off.

UbiSoftologist said:
If console prices are cut to $99 in 2005, a PS 2 plus an Xbox will only cost $198.
But considering how slowly Sony has dropped prices, what are the odds of that? At E3s of the past few years they've dropped 0, 100, 20, and 30 respectively. Doubt the next will be a 50. Xbox has basically followed the same pattern, except they skipped that first year of no drop.

And to be picky, since $99 really means something like $99.99, they wouldnt' cost a combined $198.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
seismologist said:
I'll take one for $199 if it comes with a free game.

Do you consider Picto-chat a "game"?

Anyway, I don't care what pricetag is on the DS when it hits. No Advance Wars Online, no purchase.

Mustang

Banned
Hell, I will buy a DS at $199 and I am not even a real huge Nintendo nut.

Some of you all are cheapo bastards. ;)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
200, 100, whatever, I'll still buy it. It can sit next to all those games I buy and never play and those DVD's that never get opened.

Mrbob

xsarien said:
It's portable, you know...

And here I thought I would have to lug around two 27" screens with an atteched catridge slot controller! This deal is worse than I thought! Damn you Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom