• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS (Dual Screen), Platinum $199.82 11/30/2004 @ Walmart.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Link316 said:
it doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo will pass on the savings to the 3rd party publishers, and besides DS game development is most likely more expensive than GBA game development
It has already been reported that Nintendo HAS passed the savings onto 3rd parties. But DS development will probably be more expensive then GBA development, so it should balance out rather nicely.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
explodet said:
I think the lack of solid DS info is starting to cause some anxiety.
Exactly, that and some from the penut gallery want to see it fail.

About the game prices, I've already expressed myself in the past. I'm worried that portable prices are going to exceed the $30 mark. With DS cartridge prices and UMD's (almost positive but I could be wrong) already cheaper than the GBA carts, developers have a huge incentive to keep the software prices at that level. However both systems offer tangible benefits for consumers to "understand" a $10 increase in price. The PSP offers the possibility of identicle ports from the PS2 (I'd be blown away if Gran Turismo PSP is cheaper than $40 considering that it's the exact same as the console version) so even pricing them at $50 wouldn't be out of the question.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Who the fuck makes judgments on whether or not to buy something because of Walmart?

Pimpwerx

At $200, the DS will fail. I think Nintendo is trying desperately to refute the fanboy claims that Sony only won out b/c they outsmarted Nintendo. I think Nintendo is trying to outstupid the N64 and Virtual Bomb. PEACE.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can I ask a simple question? considering Nintendo hasn't announced pricing, how have people on here worked out exactly how much the cost of goods is, and therefore expected MSRP?

Are you just making shit up?

Comparing prices to a 4 year old PS2 price isn't exactly a level playing field is it?

Che

Banned
Prine said:
N GAGE 2

How much for the games? $50 :rolleyes

Fuck off Nintendo

It's funny, but every time xbox fanboys hear a bad rumor for Nintendo they want it so much to be true, that they take it for certain and celebrate without any particular reason.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
While you idiots were speculating out of your ass, I emailed Wal-Mart:
some rep who doesn't know anything most likely said:
Dear Super Cool Dude,

Thank you for contacting us at Walmart.com. The information on the
Nintendo DS (Dual Screen), Platinum for $199.82 is correct. However with
preorder items that information can sometimes change based on the
manufacturer.
We do update our website daily so our information is
accurate. Thank you your comments and questions are very important to us
as we strive to meet your needs.

So what does that mean? Nothing we didn't already know.
Wait for Nintendo's announcement.

lordmrw

RevenantKioku said:
While you idiots were speculating out of your ass, I emailed Wal-Mart:

So what does that mean? [/b]

It means there are alot of dumb motherfuckers here. Plain and simple.

andthebeatgoeson

No matter what, I'd have problems buying any portable above $150. I just don't play them as often. They can easily be lost. Fuck Nintendo and Sony if the new ones will come out above $150 (even though it's more than likely one or both will). That's my reasons and I'm sticking with it. I don't want to leave $200 of tech on the plane. I don't care what they put in it. I just don't want to pay that much for handhelds that I barely put 5 hours a month into.

skinnyrattler said:
No matter what, I'd have problems buying any portable above $150. I just don't play them as often. They can easily be lost. Fuck Nintendo and Sony if the new ones will come out above $150 (even though it's more than likely one or both will). That's my reasons and I'm sticking with it. I don't want to leave $200 of tech on the plane. I don't care what they put in it. I just don't want to pay that much for handhelds that I barely put 5 hours a month into.

then why are you partaking in this discussion, bitch. Don't buy it. If you can't even put in 5 hours; then you couldn't haven't played any of the class titles of the SP/GBA. Now piss off and let the speculation/frenzy continue.

jarrod

Banned
Che said:
It's funny, but every time xbox fanboys hear a bad rumor for Nintendo they want it so much to be true, that they take it for certain and celebrate without any particular reason.
Strange considering Microsoft supports Nintendo handhelds. :/

puck1337

Prospero said:
I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes at $200, but I most likely won't be buying one at that price, since I already own an SP.

Plus I'm inclined to wait and see if the machine has any design flaws--$200 is too much to pay for a device with paint that wears off, or one that gets dust under its screen.
If you can't count on excited messageboard users to buy a new handheld, who can you count on? $200 USD is $50 too much, IMO, and price will be a major dealbreaker for a lot of people IF it actually launches at this price.

skinnyrattler said:

I'm guessing you don't own a palm pilot.

Alcibiades

DarienA said:
Not the same type of purchase IMO.

but he same fallacies, you could easily leave one on a plane, or lose it.

Anyway, it's going to be fun to see DS be so popular no matter what the launch price. Launching for Christmas is basically the reason DS is going to have an easy leg up on PSP.

Triumph

Banned
efralope said:
those 17 cents aren't worth the left-out count on NPD...
You are the dumbest, most outrageously ignorant and obnoxious person EVER.

When your "favorite video game company" "winning" the "sales war" is this important to you, you need to be taken out back and shot. And then maybe run over with a car a few times. I mean, sure the .17 isn't that big a deal. But saying that you have to get it where it will count in the sales charts? Well, I didn't really have any respect for you to begin with, so I can't say I lost it all. I suppose it's in the negative now.

Jesus. Some fuckin people.

Triumph

Banned
Okay, so what have we learned from this thread, if anything?

1. This is a placeholder price. Nintendo has not announced the final MSRP of the DS yet.

2. $199 for the DS is too much for the general public(Efralope's jizz drenched "analysis" aside).

3. People who think that Nintendo can't possibly be dumb enough to release the DS for two hundred smackers AFTER Black Friday need to go back and learn some history. I assure you, they are.

4. Efralope rides the short bus.

I think that about covers it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Raoul Duke said:
Okay, so what have we learned from this thread, if anything?

1. This is a placeholder price. Nintendo has not announced the final MSRP of the DS yet.

2. $199 for the DS is too much for the general public(Efralope's jizz drenched "analysis" aside).

3. People who think that Nintendo can't possibly be dumb enough to release the DS for two hundred smackers AFTER Black Friday need to go back and learn some history. I assure you, they are.

4. Efralope rides the short bus.

I think that about covers it.
Thread over, Raoul Duke winnar, GAFFERS and efralope cry.

Deg

Banned
I will love to see the people crying after they realize DS and PSP wont sell anywhere near the amount GBA does. DS and PSP as mass market devices are nothing for GBA.

RevenantKioku

Raoul Duke said:

I'm not going to argue whether or not Nintendo has done stupid shit in the past, the definitely have.
If Nintendo is releasing a system this year, its coming before Black Friday. Lets just open the old history book up eh?
Cube - November 5th
N64 - September 29th
SNES - September 9th
I'll ignore the NES because it was a special case.
GBA - June 11th
Gameboy - August (Can't find the exact date)
Game Boy Color was the closest, November 23rd, 1998 which, if memory about Thanksgiving serves me right, would still place it before Black Friday.
Fuck even the Virtual Boy came out August 14th, so I don't see a Nintendo console coming out in the states in the time between Black Friday and Christmas.

Alcibiades

while I wouldn't buy something at Wal-Mart given the choice (NPD reason + not favorite retailer + no pre-order bonuses + etc.), that comment was tongue-in-cheeck...

aoi tsuki

i spent $700 on a PDA last year. There's no way i'm not getting a DS.

And to those who worry about losing things like this, that's why you get a case with a belt loop. Not only does it protect your portable from scratches, bumps, and pocket debris, but it also keeps it with you at all times. The detachable belt clips work too, but they always come off my belt, and it wouldn't be hard for someone to casually walk by, snatch my case and run off with a costly investment.

andthebeatgoeson

TheGreenGiant said:
then why are you partaking in this discussion, bitch. Don't buy it. If you can't even put in 5 hours; then you couldn't haven't played any of the class titles of the SP/GBA. Now piss off and let the speculation/frenzy continue.

Wow, is that your loud voice? Nancy, watch your mouth. I've definitely put in enough time for quite a few titles. But as someone interested in all the handhelds, I'm not interested in >$150 price point. That's why I'm in the discussion. When I want your opinion about which threads I can post in, I'll give it to ya.

Does it upset you so much that I'm not will to pay $150? What's it matter to ya? Why are you being so defensive over the price point? Imagine, a speculation thread with a negative opinion? Shock and/or awe? My opinion is a legitimate one. Not all of us have 14 hours and $200 to spend a week. Being over 18 kinda has that effect. Welcome to the real world. You are definitely showing your ass on this assumption that I haven't played any quality titles.

Protip: You are looking like an ass.

Raoul Duke said:
They can do dumb things, but rarely have we counted launching expensive hardware among them.

efralope said:
while I wouldn't buy something at Wal-Mart given the choice (NPD reason + not favorite retailer + no pre-order bonuses + etc.), that comment was tongue-in-cheeck...
Wal-Mart is the devil. Now if only they weren't the only option within 30 miles for video games and cheapo DVDs. >_<

andthebeatgoeson

Diomedeskun said:
I'm guessing you don't own a palm pilot.

Uh, I do and it was a required purchase for other things (job). Either way, I look at the fucker everyday and wonder why I have a $200 datebook/phonebook but dope wars makes $10 worth it.

Hmm. 3 GBA SPs = $240 dollars, or Nintendo DS = $200

There's no way this system will be that much, especially after they just dropped the price of the SP. At the very most I think it'll be $179.

But I think it'll be $149. I would buy it at that price, and I think Nintendo thinks a lot of people would too. They would be very foolish to think anybody outside of the hardcore croud will pay more than that.

Alex

$200 is pretty ridiculous. I'd never drop that much on a handheld machine, screw PSP altogether. $150 would be solid, but honest $100 would be best for capturing my attention.

Although, I'm more concerned about the abysmal game lineup and demo reels I've seen thus far. Almost everything looks more like a silly tech demo than a game. I'm interested in a few things, like a new Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles both of which haven't had so much as a screen released, what else is there?

I'd be pretty worried about the lack of avalible game information for a machine that launches in mere months. Espically when it's set to take over the job of a very competent handheld (GBA:SP)

I should've paid more attention, but meh. Until the last month or two I've been pretty caught up. :(

GDGF

Soothsayer
Alex said:
I'm interested in a few things, like a new Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles both of which haven't had so much as a screen released, what else is there?

You really haven't seen the announced games list for Japan or the States?

Alex

I'm not really concerned with the announced list, I've glanced over it in the past, which is where I dug New Four Swords and FF:CC2 out of. I'm wanting to see some actual media, hands-on stuff. Etc. Tangible stuff that we KNOW is coming within a decent period of time.

The concept of a PSX-looking multiplayer Metroid game and a picture chat game leading up the bulk of impressions is pretty scary to me.

GDGF

Soothsayer
:) True that. Well, we've been getting new NDS media every day for a few days now, and it seems that things have ramped up over the last few weeks. The Nintendo World Touch show is announced (should call it Touch World) and the launch is close, so not too long to wait. The games being shown lately look much better than the E3 demos (as would be expected) so...not too much longer.

Alex

Well, while I'm not happy with the graphics capabilities they've swapped too, I had a serious thing for the GBA, and I like the new interface controls of DS. So I'm certainly interested.

I'm simply getting nervous GBA rocked. And DS....not very much yet. Simply being honest in this case, not ready to bash it yet. :p

And although I never thought I'd say this: If there's anything Nintendo needs to do, it's to kidnap someone at Blizzard and get me handheld, wireless multiplayer ports of StarCraft and Diablo 1/2. Same room multiplayer versions of those without the PC hassle would prompt me to buy at launch for certain.

If you buy a DS; you are getting a SP + bonus really. So that

100 bucks will be for

the extra screen
ability to play DS games
wifi
touch screen
4 buttons
the chance to stop any kid with a SP dead in his/her track
and new teh innovative gameplay.

(did I missing something)

I say DS has a chance at that price point if marketed well - and it will be the NEW fangled Nintendo toy that parents will have to contend from screaming kids for Xmas. It will probably sell like Hotcakes and then when PSP hits; Nintendo will just slash prices and give them a good run.

A winner is DS. IMO

I just hope they don't stop making GBA games. I'm sure the DS will be a fine system, but it won't be anywhere near as comfortable(read: Portable) as the sleek SP.

jarrod

Banned
Who said list?

Announced
-Air Assault 2 (SummitSoft)
-Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
-Asphalt GT (UbiSoft)
-Atari Classics (Atari)
-Boktai (Konami/KCEJ)
-Bomberman DS (Hudson)
-Bust-A-Move (Taito)
-Caduceus Surgical Operation (Atlus)
-Castlevania (Konami/KCET)
-Cerulean Dreams (Mezco)
-Chobi Island 3 (Rocket Company)
-Choro Q DS (Atlus/Takara)
-Dark Reflections (Mezco)
-Dragon Ball Z (Atari)
-Dragon Ball Z (Banpresto)
-Dragon Booster (Konami)
-Dragon Quest Monsters (Square Enix/Tose)
-Dragon Quest Slime Morimori (Square Enix/Tose)
-Dynasty Warriors DS (Koei/Omega Force)
-Egg Monster Heroes (Square Enix)
-Everybody's Mah-jongg (MTO)
-Far East of Eden (Hudson/Red)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)
-Frogger 2005 (Konami/KCEH)
-Goemon (Konami)
-GoldenEye (Electronic Arts)
-GT DS (MTO)
-Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom)
-Harvest Moon DS (Natsume/Marvelous/Marucome)
-Jinsei Game DS (Atlus/Takara)
-Jissen Pachislo Hisshopou! Fist of the North Star (Sammy)
-Kaido Racing Battle (Genki)
-Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta (Spike)
-Legend of the River King (Natsume/Marvelous)
-Living High&#8593;Killing Low&#8595; (Genki)
-Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
-Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
-Megaman Battle Network (Capcom)
-Meteos (Bandai)
-Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo/NST)
-Mikke! (Aki)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Bandai)
-Monster Rancher (Tecmo)
-Moonlight Fables (Majesco)
-Mr Driller (Namco/Driller Project)
-Mysterious Dungeon (ChunSoft)
-Nanostray (Majesco)
-Naruto (Tomy)
-Need for Speed (Electronic Arts)
-New Secret of Mana (Square Enix)
-New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)
-NintenDogs (Nintendo)
-One Piece (Bandai)
-Organizer Plus (SummitSoft)
-Pac n' Roll (Namco)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Picto-Chat (Nintendo)
-Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami/KCES)
-Professional Wrestling (Yukes)
-Project DA (NeoPong)
-Project Rub/I Would Die for You (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Rayman (UbiSoft)
-Rakugaki Kingdom (Taito/Rakaguta Studio)
-Robots (VU Games)
-Shin Megami Tensei DS (Atlus)
-Showboard Kids DS (Atlus/Racdym)
-Sonic DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Spectral Force (Idea Factory/Neverland)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
-SpongeBob SquarePants (THQ)
-Super Mario 64x4 (Nintendo)
-Super Robot Taisen (Banpresto)
-Survival Kids (Konami)
-Tiger Woords PGA Tour (EAlectronic Arts)
-Tounou Ni Asekaku Game Series: Volume 1 Cool 104 Joker & Setline (Aruze)
-Trouballs (Paragon 5)
-Ubukawa Detective Case-Books (Genki)
-Ultimate Brain Games (TeleGames/Cosmigo)
-Ultimate Card Games (TeleGames/Cosmigo)
-Ultimate Pocket Games (TeleGames/Cosmigo)
-Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts/Griptonite)
-Urusei Yatsura (Marvelous)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami/KCEJ)
-Vandal Hearts (Konami)
-Viewtiful Joe DS (Capcom/Clover Studio)
-Wario Ware, Inc. DS (Nintendo)
-WiNX (Konami)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven (Konami/KCET)
-ZOIDS (Tomy)

-tba action (D3)
-tba action (Epoch)
-tba board game (Jams Works)
-tba family (Orbital Media)
-tba historical simulation (Koei)
-tba mah-jongg (Koei)
-tba movie license (UbiSoft)
-tba platform (Orbital Media)
-tba project (Argonaut)
-tba project (Box Clever)
-tba project (Engine)
-tba project (Majesco)
-tba project (Raylight Studios)
-tba project (Shin'en)
-tba project (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-tba project (Vivendi Universal)
-tba projects (Atari)
-tba projects (Bandai)
-tba projects (Electronic Arts)
-tba projects (From Software)
-tba projects (Hudson)
-tba projects (Majesco)
-tba projects (THQ)
-tba projects (UbiSoft)
-tba projects (Visual Impact)
-tba racing (Orbital Media)
-tba RPG (GameArts)
-tba RPG (Marvelous)
-tba RPG (Namco)
-tba simulation (Sunrise)
-tba soccer (Dino Dini/DC Studios)
-tba strategy RPG (Orbital Media)

Unofficial/Rumored
-Armored Core Series (From Software)
-Chu Chu Rocket! DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Legend of Zelda: Four Swords DS (Nintendo)
-Phantasy Star Online DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Pikachu DS (Nintendo/Ambrella)
-Puyo Puyo Fever (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Super Smash Bros DS (Nintendo/HAL)
-Tony Hawk DS (Activision)
-X-Men Legends (Activision)

-tba project (Skip)
-tba projects (Rare)
tba puzzle (Nintendo)
-tba RPG (Nintendo/Brownie Brown)
-tba RPG (Square Enix/Matsuno)

Status
Not open for further replies.