• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares rise (again) - their biggest gain since July 2003

ziran

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&sid=aWsyxGNM.MjU

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of handheld video game players, had their biggest gain since July 2003 on a report its Revolution console will sell for less than $300, undercutting Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360.

Reggie Fils-Aime, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Nintendo America, told Cnet News.com this week that the company's next console "will cost less than $300,'' and will go on sale before Thanksgiving in November.

Tsutomu Enoki, a spokesman at Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters, declined to elaborate on the report, saying "We have not disclosed any specifics on the price.'' He reiterated the company's plan to sell the Revolution "some time in 2006.''

Nintendo's market share has narrowed to about 14 percent for its existing GameCube console as Microsoft and Sony Corp. introduced products with a hard drive, DVD player and Internet connection. Microsoft started sales of its Xbox 360 in November for between $299 and $399. Sony plans to sell its PlayStation 3 device around the second quarter, and hasn't given a price.

"I guess it has been a buzz of expectations,'' said Hiroshi Kamide, an analyst at KBC Securities in Tokyo. He has a "buy'' rating on Nintendo.

Shares of Nintendo rose 6.2 percent to 16,070 yen as of 1:35 p.m. on the Osaka Securities Exchange today.

"We want the game console to appeal to as many people as possible, and we have said that it won't be that expensive,'' said Enoki, without elaborating.
I think DS's success, especially in Japan, is making Revolution more and more anticipated.

Great news for Nintendo.

Xellotah

DS has an outstanding lineup of games ( at least in japan ) for 2006. Not so much for the rest of the world tho.

E3 will be interesting, last year the DS had so many new games announced for it, hopefully it will be the same this year.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A new 2D Mario Bros, Metroïd Prime Online, Tetris Online, Resident Evil, a Pokemon spin off and Brain Training may not be enough indeed to guarantee success in the West for the next 6 months.

AniHawk

Xellotah said:
DS has an outstanding lineup of games ( at least in japan ) for 2006. Not so much for the rest of the world tho.

E3 will be interesting, last year the DS had so many new games announced for it, hopefully it will be the same this year.

There's Zelda, Pokemon, Castlevaniads 2, and Sonic Rush 2, aside from whatever else is coming out.

Oh, a real Metroid game would be neat too. Maybe they could also throw in Fire Emblem DS while they're at it. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Jeez. The stock has risen by like 40-50 thousand yen in the last 6 months I think.

jarosh

hawt5ku8xb.jpg

SantaCruZer said:
No he is not serious. I can't believe that there are people who don't see his sarcasm yet :/
I guess some haven't been here long enoughto know Ani. I never would've read that as serious.

argon

Larry Bird said:
Really? Or are you joking?

Yes seriously.. I decided to buy some Japanese stocks right after the Nikkei's drop this week.. (Sega Sammy Holdings, Matsushita and Kirin Brewery as well), guess I got lucky.

argon said:
Yes seriously.. I decided to buy some Japanese stocks right after the Nikkei's drop this week.. (Sega Sammy Holdings, Matsushita and Kirin Brewery as well), guess I got lucky.
Depositary Receipts? Or do you live in Japan? I want to buy Nintendo shares, trying to figure out exactly how I would do that. Any advice?

littlewig

Banned
Man, just wait until the end of the fiscal year when they report they have sold more DS than they expected and made more profits than they expected, their shares are going to increase a lot.

You guys with Nintendo shares should be happy.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Larry Bird said:
How did you go about it? Bank of NY? E*Trade? I could really use some help.
Dunno, they are being traded at various stock exchanges here in germany, although sometimes without any trades going for days. Called my bank and they bought them in frankfurt.

elostyle said:
Dunno, they are being traded at various stock exchanges here in germany, although sometimes without any trades going for days. Called my bank and they bought them in frankfurt.
Thank you.

Top Bottom