• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| #4TheDiabloPlayers

cormack12

MMqcTV8.png

Path of Exile is a free-to-play Action RPG set in the dark world of Wraeclast. As an Exile, you'll explore deep character customization, visceral combat, powerful item crafting and endless replayability. It finally arrives on PS4 from 26.03.19

Release Date: Out Now
Platforms: PC/Xbox/PS4
Genre: Action / Role Playing Game (RPG)
Developer: Grinding Gear Games
Publisher: Grinding Gear Games

R4ar3mM.png

YObO291.png

wPCVSxZ.png

KZrWS7m.png

What version released on the PS4?
The release version is 3.6.1. Check out the patch notes for more info. The Betrayal content is currently disabled. We intend to update it to 3.6.3 (with Synthesis League improvements) as soon as we can // https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2473876

It's free to play, so pay to win?
Nope, The business model is based on microtransactions, but the only thing that players can purchase are cosmetics, stash tabs, and character slots (the default limit is a massive 24, though). This means the only in game benefits you can purchase is storage space and extra character slots. The developers of Path of Exile stress that one of their core goals is to provide a genuinely free-to-play game financed only by "ethical micro-transactions". Players can create multiple accounts and even have more than one logged in at a time. Path of Exile mainly offers cosmetic item skins for players willing to spend money on the game, but it does also gate specific account features such as semi-automated public trading inventories or additional character slots behind a paywall. It is also possible for players to pay to create private, invite-only leagues, each secluded in its own economy.

This is all so new to me?!?!

The diablo players guide to Path of Exile (text)
Dedicated PoE Wiki
Offline build planner
Loot filter
Labyrinth layouts

GIFs
VerifiableSoftBlackfish-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

ForthrightAgreeableKangaroo-size_restricted.gif

GrossDenseLemur-max-1mb.gif

nowhat

So I'm like four hours in. Against my best judgment, I haven't followed any guides online, so my build probably is way off. That skill tree is seriously intimidating, will probably have to roll a new character or do a serious respec at some point.

But I'm liking it so far. Light on the story, heavy on the grind/loot; but as it is a F2P game, I really can't complain. The controls are quite fiddly for a controller, but I suppose that's given.

You can use build guides off the start but dont be afraid to experiment a little on your own. Lot of flexibility here you might not be used to.

Whole thing is a fun grind. I love fun grinds.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can use build guides off the start but dont be afraid to experiment a little on your own. Lot of flexibility here you might not be used to.

Whole thing is a fun grind. I love fun grinds.

Do you have any recommended links for some guides? I have not played an RPG dungeon looter hardcore since Diablo 2, others like Titan Quest could not hold my interest back in the day.

I have been craving that style again recently, so I am going to dive right in.

bati

Do you have any recommended links for some guides? I have not played an RPG dungeon looter hardcore since Diablo 2, others like Titan Quest could not hold my interest back in the day.

Check the shadow section on the official forum and look for a soulrend trickster build. It's very cheap to get started, can lvl as itself (you'll use contagion + essence drain before you get soulrend) and the mechanics of soulrend make it very well suited for gamepad because it has built in auto tracking and pierce, meaning you'll cast once and then chase the spell for two screens or so while it obliterates everything.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Check the shadow section on the official forum and look for a soulrend trickster build. It's very cheap to get started, can lvl as itself (you'll use contagion + essence drain before you get soulrend) and the mechanics of soulrend make it very well suited for gamepad because it has built in auto tracking and pierce, meaning you'll cast once and then chase the spell for two screens or so while it obliterates everything.

I assume you mean this one?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2333153

If so, thank you! I'll give it a shot for my first run with the game. Templar builds sound cool too.

Edit: It seems there are various versions within that build, which one would you recommend?

Last edited:

nowhat

https://sites.google.com/view/thetwilightstrand/home

Seems like quite a comprehensive guide. But FWIW - currently at level 12, and have been able to get through without going reading much of that, apart from a few pointers regarding the beginning. Will surely have my ass handed to me soon enough, but so far I've been able to manage.

Winter John

Been playing this with a buddy. I looked on YouTube for some starter tips. Saving orbs and using the filter options so you don't waste time picking up junk items seems to be the main ones. Decided to go with the Winter Orb build and so far I ain't had any trouble.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How does the loot filters work? Are they built within the game or is it a mod/script that can still be used on consoles?

Moneal

How does the loot filters work? Are they built within the game or is it a mod/script that can still be used on consoles?
seem to be built in. what i have seen from xbox, and vids about xbox, there is no custom loot filters. also built in isn't that great it seems. strict blocks scrolls and the one before that doesn't block out enough trash when you get higher level.

bati

I assume you mean this one?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2333153

If so, thank you! I'll give it a shot for my first run with the game. Templar builds sound cool too.

Edit: It seems there are various versions within that build, which one would you recommend?

Yup, that one. Version 2, MoM + EB. This allows you to reserve entire mana pool - I used Malediction and Blashphemy+Temp Chains as active auras but you can add another aura and run temp chains linked in Bane along with Enfeeble or something. The build allows for many variations which are probably obscured to you as a new player, but this version he posted is pretty good overall so it won't hurt to follow the guide verbatim.

Duallusion

Anyone else experiencing (obnoxious levels of) lag? Played an hour or two on PS4 (solo) and it wasn't a pleasant experience; jerkiness, character freezing and then "catching-up" etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone else experiencing (obnoxious levels of) lag? Played an hour or two on PS4 (solo) and it wasn't a pleasant experience; jerkiness, character freezing and then "catching-up" etc.

I have not, but I am just starting out to get a feel for it, so I may be very early still.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup, that one. Version 2, MoM + EB. This allows you to reserve entire mana pool - I used Malediction and Blashphemy+Temp Chains as active auras but you can add another aura and run temp chains linked in Bane along with Enfeeble or something. The build allows for many variations which are probably obscured to you as a new player, but this version he posted is pretty good overall so it won't hurt to follow the guide verbatim.

I'm trying to understand how to use the build guide, but I think I figured it out.

The top colored ones seem to have a link to some code I assume that's for the PC version to install? The ones that say "Ready To Use"?

So I went under 'Leveling guide - ...' > 'Leveling trees' > '14 points' link to start off.

I like this character's voice, reminds me of the first Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

Last edited:

bati

Yes you can use leveling trees, just make sure your final version matches with the lvl 90 or 91 he posted for MoM+EB.

When you make the switch to EB you should have about 1500 energy shield which is quite easy to hit even without a shield. I used Cospri's Will chest for my ED character because it has higher base evasion which meant more ES because of trickster ascendancy, and it saved me a few points on the passive tree because I didn't have to get Whispers of Doom node.

Generally speaking with MoM your life to mana or es (if using EB) should be as close to 70:30 as possible.

Traianvs

I started my first game of PoE yesterday as a Summoner Witch, at least that's what I'm trying to do.
I decided for my first character to NOT follow guides. I know I won't be able to do the endgame but this time I only want to complete the story and learn the mechanics without help. For the next characters I'll roll I'll use some guides

Mista

Banned
I found this game on my ready to install games on Xbox and remembered that my friend I’m sharing with downloaded it before. I love Diablo and will definitely give this a try

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Saw a message pop up saying free mystery box now available (I was on the PS4) but I had to go to website. How do I claim this? Do I need to create an account on the website, and do I link PSN account after?

I only see a Steam sign in option and account creation.

klosos

Quick question to the guys who are playing this i haven't got around to playing this on PS4 yet , Is anyone playing this over Wifi ? if yes how is the Lag / micro stutter? i ask because i had a go on xbox about a year ago over wifi and the lag/micro stutter was horrendous.

Winter John

Saw a message pop up saying free mystery box now available (I was on the PS4) but I had to go to website. How do I claim this? Do I need to create an account on the website, and do I link PSN account after?

I only see a Steam sign in option and account creation.

I think you just go into the options and click on the store tab. I ain't looked yet but I'm pretty sure that's how it was done on the Xbox

Last edited:
Played a bit last night, felt pretty good to play (learning the UI is a bit painful though). I could see this bring great to play long term, but I don't think I want to dedicate that much time to answer single game right now. I'm definitely going to play here and there though, at least to complete and act or two.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think you just go into the options and click on the store tab. I ain't looked yet but I'm pretty sure that's how it was done on the Xbox

I found this for the account thing.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2296100#p16187634

I guess they are still in the process of working on it for both consoles.

I see the boxes, but nothing free. Odd. Not gonna worry about it. Next time I will try and remember the web address it told me, since I could not find it on the site itself.

Last edited:

bati

Quick question to the guys who are playing this i haven't got around to playing this on PS4 yet , Is anyone playing this over Wifi ? if yes how is the Lag / micro stutter? i ask because i had a go on xbox about a year ago over wifi and the lag/micro stutter was horrendous.

I'm not sure how it is on consoles but on PC lockstep is enabled by default. If you're suffering from network induced stutter try turning on predictive mode.

Bolivar687

Banned
This game is the real Diablo III.

I strongly recommend new players just enjoy the experience and build any kind of interesting character they want. The starting characters only determine starting placement on the skill tree - any character can become anything, but the goal should always be to get to the large modes at the end, which really shift the rules of the game. The game is not stingy with resets, so if you get to the endgame and want to follow a guide, it's relatively painless.

My other recommendation if you're completely new is to keep a lookout for vanilla equipment with better stats or ideal socket colors and connections. Then boost it up a little bit with your armorerxs scrap or blacksmith's whetstone and convert it to a magic or rare item with the orbs. There's so much flexibility with the orb and gem system and the sooner you start messing with the basics, the better.

Hit me up on Steam! (no 687)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I misunderstood the message since I caught the tail end of it the first time. It was not a free box, it was just saying it was available on the shop, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
3.6.3 is now live on the PS4.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2475740

Console Specific
  • Betrayal encounters can now spawn. As a reminder, as previously stated, when an area contains Betrayal, it will have a single encounter which will give the following tripled rewards (only in areas 68 and higher): the amount of experience received when you make a decision, the amount of items dropped from Bargain decisions, the amount of veiled items dropped by Syndicate members, Safehouse leaders contribution of intelligence towards the Mastermind and most Safehouse rewards.
  • You can now toggle the visibility of area modifiers on or off in the Options menu.
  • You can now press Square when interacting with Zana in the Memory Nexus to open the "Sell Items" window.
  • Fixed a bug which could cause some users to crash during the game client's startup.
  • Fixed some cases of missing shaders which would have resulted in temporarily strange-looking cosmetics, skills, locations and monsters.
  • Reduced the distance with which you can zoom-out the Subterranean Chart. This fixes an associated crash.
  • You can now switch between the Unveiling user-interface and the Inventory Panel using R1.

Includes the massive list of fixes to Synthesis, Betrayal and Misc at the link above as well.

Last edited:
I’m rolling with a summoner witch right now too. I’ll worry about rolling/grinding an elite build later, just having fun right now. It’s good on console and completely viable F2P

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m rolling with a summoner witch right now too. I’ll worry about rolling/grinding an elite build later, just having fun right now. It’s good on console and completely viable F2P

I am definitely impressed at the wealth of content in this game, especially F2P. I have not played a Diablo like looter in quite some time, this almost feels overwhelming, lol.

The passive trees are insane! Not sure fully how I feel about skills mainly being relegated to gems, etc., but it is starting slowly to grow on me, and is an intelligent design.

Duallusion

I'm playing over Wi-Fi (PS4) and had a terrible experience in this regard. :messenger_confused:

GenericUser

I know certain publishers that would sell a game with this scope for 60 bucks AND include gameplay altering microtransactions. Game is by far the best f2p title I know and could easily be sold at full price.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
My only problem with this game is that if you fucked your spec up then you have to pay or wait to next patch to reapec.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You "pay" with the in-game currency. Just to be clear.

What? All my friends say if you want to reapec you have to pay. You could also grind endlessly for orbs (their words).

So it's a big fat lie?

bati

What? All my friends say if you want to reapec you have to pay. You could also grind endlessly for orbs (their words).

So it's a big fat lie?

You can buy orbs from other players, using other in-game currency.

What platform do your friends play on?

Top Bottom