• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North American heatwave discussion.

FunkMiller

Actually, they have, and beyond that they're predicted to be the first country to experience a deadly temperature event, during which heat and humidity are at such high levels that people cannot regulate their body heat and anyone not in air-conditioning will die…

So, an average afternoon in Darwin then?

StormCell

An endless circle of blaming. The rich always have been very good at riling up the poorer part of the population against each other.

I don't disagree with you regarding the corporations, but they won't change and give up profits if they aren't being forced or put in a position to do so and even though one person (like me) doesn't instantaneously have the power to change the world it does have to start somewhere.

I am far from perfect, but I try my best to self reflect, improve, vote for what I think is right and the change has to start somewhere. I can understand shifting the blame from myself and blaming bigger players, because it is much easier to soothe my brain, but that would also mean lying to myself and I have never been a fan of that.

To each their own. Sadly we all have to pay the price since we share the same single one earth.

I'm a competitor in a sport that could really do a lot more to save or improve the environment. One, I'm not going to stop competing because of F-150 pickups and nasty outboard boat motors. To do so would only impact me while nasty coal-burning plants are still in operation up and down the continent and 50,000 passenger jets fly over head every day. If there were an all-electric pickup truck and all-electric outboard motor available on the market and with good reliable reputation, I would make the switch. It seems only too reasonable.

Of course, at the same time, switching to electric does not solve the issue. It's a step that can get us to a solution at some point, but for the moment it's only one step. As windmills have shown as a case study, sometimes the steps we make are more costly (CO2) than the present problem (power plants). Just building windmill can release more CO2 than the windmill will ever help us conserve in CO2 emissions. Switching to electric can have the undesirable effect of pushing coal burning power plants back into operation as electricity demand soars.

Were it up to me, f'ing coal burning would be out of the question for industry and commercial. We'd have nuclear power plants in every state and twice as many for California. The nuclear waste is another matter, of course.

Corporations did a fantastic job of convincing a lot of younger impressionable people that fighting climate change was an equal parts responsibility, and then they promptly began packaging their consumer goods in green and charging a higher price while still wrecking our environment. You joined their climate change army while they found a way to profit from the war. lol

The way I view it is as such: we in the US have curbed our carbon emissions. We have reduced our emissions. We are a leading world economy, so there are going to be emissions. Still, no one else has reduced their emissions by the amount we have. In that same span of time, China's developing industry and economy has more than offset our reductions pushing world CO2 levels even higher. Where we stopped emitting, those CO2 heavy operations apparently moved overseas where pollution laws are more lax.

Now what is there to be done? China talks a good game about meeting emissions requirements, but if they don't are the rest of us still to blame? My gut says they will half way meet them in order to avoid sanctions and embargoes, and that's how that will go.

Ellery

I'm a competitor in a sport that could really do a lot more to save or improve the environment. One, I'm not going to stop competing because of F-150 pickups and nasty outboard boat motors. To do so would only impact me while nasty coal-burning plants are still in operation up and down the continent and 50,000 passenger jets fly over head every day. If there were an all-electric pickup truck and all-electric outboard motor available on the market and with good reliable reputation, I would make the switch. It seems only too reasonable.

Of course, at the same time, switching to electric does not solve the issue. It's a step that can get us to a solution at some point, but for the moment it's only one step. As windmills have shown as a case study, sometimes the steps we make are more costly (CO2) than the present problem (power plants). Just building windmill can release more CO2 than the windmill will ever help us conserve in CO2 emissions. Switching to electric can have the undesirable effect of pushing coal burning power plants back into operation as electricity demand soars.

Were it up to me, f'ing coal burning would be out of the question for industry and commercial. We'd have nuclear power plants in every state and twice as many for California. The nuclear waste is another matter, of course.

Corporations did a fantastic job of convincing a lot of younger impressionable people that fighting climate change was an equal parts responsibility, and then they promptly began packaging their consumer goods in green and charging a higher price while still wrecking our environment. You joined their climate change army while they found a way to profit from the war. lol

The way I view it is as such: we in the US have curbed our carbon emissions. We have reduced our emissions. We are a leading world economy, so there are going to be emissions. Still, no one else has reduced their emissions by the amount we have. In that same span of time, China's developing industry and economy has more than offset our reductions pushing world CO2 levels even higher. Where we stopped emitting, those CO2 heavy operations apparently moved overseas where pollution laws are more lax.

Now what is there to be done? China talks a good game about meeting emissions requirements, but if they don't are the rest of us still to blame? My gut says they will half way meet them in order to avoid sanctions and embargoes, and that's how that will go.

Extremely disappointing post, sorry mate.

StormCell

Extremely disappointing post, sorry mate.

There's a lot more I'd like to say as well. I would love for trains to come back in the US. I think that Europe's public transportation offerings are the gold standard we should all strive for. Having said that, riding trains in the US is just miserable. It was the most awful experience of my life. Train departed at like 3:30 AM. Seats were almost deliberately uncomfortable. Sleeper cars cost extra. The ride was slow. To make this even more hopeless, I lived in Spokane for like 12 years where there has been constant chatter about building a light rail since I moved there in 2001. It's the dream: 45 minutes to Seattle. It has firmly remained a dream as the cost to build that project seems unattainable from either end. SMH...

It's another one of those no-brainers that were it up to me, it'd be there. You could go Portland to Coeur D'Alene in like 2.5 hours and it would be awesome.

NoviDon

I wonder if things will get to a point in the next 40-50 years or so, where things are at such a tipping point and people are dying in mass of extreme temperatures and constant hurricanes year round and tsunami, that they have to take drastic measures to get things stable. Lets say carbon capture takes far too long to see a noticeable affect, so they decide to artificially alter the atmospherics. Like the humans did in The Matrix, but instead of fighting the machines its the weather. Like pumping tons of super light weight ashen like material into the air that has a concentration of reflective properties that will reflect back a calculated percentage of the solar rays.

Maestr0

North Of France here, weather in may and june was mostly rain, temp around 20-24°C outside of a week or two in june, where we hit around 30°C . Unlike the 2 last year, this summer is not that hot but humid, that's strange for sure. I was expecting like the two last year to hit 40°C, I'm not complaining, I hate heat, i prefer cold.

Last edited:

StormCell

I wonder if things will get to a point in the next 40-50 years or so, where things are at such a tipping point and people are dying in mass of extreme temperatures and constant hurricanes year round and tsunami, that they have to take drastic measures to get things stable. Lets say carbon capture takes far too long to see a noticeable affect, so they decide to artificially alter the atmospherics. Like the humans did in The Matrix, but instead of fighting the machines its the weather. Like pumping tons of super light weight ashen like material into the air that has a concentration of reflective properties that will reflect back a calculated percentage of the solar rays.

I suspect we will see a variety of these technologies employed. They're already conducting small scale experiments and studying the impacts to gauge what a larger scale operation might be able to produce. A few of these I've heard about involves spraying ocean water into the air to assist with cloud development to enhance atmospheric albeto. Another approach involves mixing grains of glass with polar ice to enhance surface albeto and potentially help polar ice rebound (by allowing thicker ice to form year after year because one-year old ice is very thin and doesn't stick around through the summer).

I anticipate this becoming a profitable market in the near future.

Ownage

Question, has or is China seeing any heatwaves?
Definitely. Shanghai hits high 30s or low 40s with easy 80% humidity all summer long. Been this way for years, getting warmer. Beijing is even worse as the dirt from the deserts blow into the region and cause some gnarly dust storms.

Ikutachi

I don't get it, with heat you can't do anything at some point (other than ac i guess but not outside) but with cold you can always wear more clothes or warm yourself with devices.
A cold drink becomes much more refreshing (ice the drink in a water bottle if you're going out?), it cools up at night, and a cold shower has a longer effect to help you than a hot one would for you in the fucking cold.

rofif

That's because you're a dingus
part visiteurs GIF

Top Bottom