• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

probably uncharted 3, unless europe really really likes the series.

Country to country europe can have pretty different tastes but it is still charting (badum tish) in some markets. We've got full 2011 results for UK and Germany, it was 17th in all format charts for UK 2011 and it sold 200k+ in Germany.

Road

Estimated from Nintendo reports:

Dec, 2011:

360 - 1.73m
3DS - 1.60m
Wii - 1.06m
PS3 - 0.95m
DS - 0.63m
PSP - 0.26m

Rounded to the nearest ten thousand.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Looking ahead to January 2012 software sales, based on Rentrak charts...
  • Just Dance 3 for Wii has been #1 for three straight weeks
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Xbox 360 has been #2 for three straight weeks (PS3 has been #3, #6, and #8, resp.)
  • Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land have been in top 7 for three straight weeks
  • Zumba Fitness and Zumba Fitness 2, both for Wii, are charting in top 10
  • Kinect Sports Season 2 has been #9 for last two weeks.
Will be interesting to see if these translate into the chart NPD puts out in a few weeks.

Charts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdEpqZ24teUl0ZzFwYmZuSlF4dEN0Qnc

PSP managing around 70k in October is really bad, Sony needed to replace it sooner for the Vita to succeed more easily. Very little mindshare for Sony handhelds right now.

Jokeropia

From Iwata's presentation:
"Pointing to declining sales of the PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 in the US in December, Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata said "the market is now waiting for a new proposal for home consoles".

In the US in 2011, Microsoft's Xbox 360 enjoyed "large momentum", Iwata said. The Wii edged out Sony's PS3 in terms of sales, but Nintendo did not see the console sell as well in December as it usually does.

"Usually, the Wii enjoys high sales in December, but last year, even though 'The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword' was highly acclaimed, we were not able to expand it sufficiently to our target audience, and although the Wii was the platform which sold the most software in December, we were not able to propose new Nintendo titles to our broad audience," Iwata said. "
Not bad for a dead system!

Hero

From Iwata's presentation:Not bad for a dead system!

Yeah, I think this really shines light on the fact that we really don't see the big picture at all when it comes to NPD anymore. Only seeing the top ten and even then having to figure out ('guesstimate') the sales figures for those games isn't a whole lot telling of the entire industry. I would suspect based on that information that the 360 and PS3 are more front loaded with the fact that they sell a lot of the hot games but not much for anything else.

I really miss the old NPD days from last gen.

Looking ahead to January 2012 software sales, based on Rentrak charts...
  • Just Dance 3 for Wii has been #1 for three straight weeks
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Xbox 360 has been #2 for three straight weeks (PS3 has been #3, #6, and #8, resp.)
  • Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land have been in top 7 for three straight weeks
  • Zumba Fitness and Zumba Fitness 2, both for Wii, are charting in top 10
  • Kinect Sports Season 2 has been #9 for last two weeks.
Will be interesting to see if these translate into the chart NPD puts out in a few weeks.

Charts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdEpqZ24teUl0ZzFwYmZuSlF4dEN0Qnc

Last week is up on Rentrak. I think the key thing to watch for will be Microsoft PR. They usually give out their games that are in the top 10 individual sku chart, so we should see KS2 in that for sure if these Rentrak charts match up with NPD as it made the top 10 each of the last 3 weeks.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Last week is up on Rentrak. I think the key thing to watch for will be Microsoft PR. They usually give out their games that are in the top 10 individual sku chart, so we should see KS2 in that for sure if these Rentrak charts match up with NPD as it made the top 10 each of the last 3 weeks.
Thanks, dude. I've been waiting, but today was super-super-busy and I missed it. :)

Putting these results into the Google sheet.

Good points about MS PR. By the way, I've tried to prod MS to release some software unit sales, but they say they're not allowed to. Seems really weird to me, but hey...

Edit: Two Kinect-required titles in weekly top 10? Gonna be interesting this month.

I am not sure if it has been pointed out before or not, sorry if old:

3DS ~ 16000K :((

Sorry, just saw the Road's post; whelp, can say he has been correct. lol

Top Bottom