• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

donny2112

Depends on Donny, sometimes he likes to make them earlier so as to give people plenty of time, other times they're made later as I'm sure he has other things that keep him busy and so on

Used to try to do it on last Saturday of the NPD period, but as Saturdays have been more hectic in real life lately, have been going with Fridays for the last few to make sure it's in on time. Should be up tomorrow. Interesting month with the XB1 free game sale earlier in Sept., Destiny/White PS4 bundle, SSB 3DSXL, and then SSB. Plus it's a 5-week month, so numbers will already be up compared to August on a monthly basis. Did Phil Spencer say that Microsoft really started caring in September or was that October?

Amazon update cause why not (yearly ranking):
#13 - Destiny (PS4)
#14 - Destiny (XB1)
#29 - Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
#34 - PS4 Destiny bundle
#59 - Destiny (360)
#67 - Hyrule Warriors

Used to try to do it on last Saturday of the NPD period, but as Saturdays have been more hectic in real life lately, have been going with Fridays for the last few to make sure it's in on time. Should be up tomorrow.

Thanks as always Donny for the effort. It's much appreciated :)

Interesting month with the XB1 free game sale earlier in Sept., Destiny/White PS4 bundle, SSB 3DSXL, and then SSB. Plus it's a 5-week month, so numbers will already be up compared to August on a monthly basis.

Yeah September should be fairly large number relative to previous months. Not sure gen on gen comparisons will paint it in a good light though with the track record in that so far

Did Phil Spencer say that Microsoft really started caring in September or was that October?

I distinctly remember Aaron Greenberg calling the summer months "pre-season" on twitter and I guess Spencer did say something to that effect on gameinformer

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...s-generation-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx

He acknowledges that his team is building its momentum against a Sony that currently is rolling forward. "They beat us in June. They beat us in May," Spencer says. "These months are small if you look at the sales. I think the whole month of June is about one week in November. They're winning, and they'll do their PR around it, and that makes sense. The battle is really September, October, November, and December."

Phil should've just said Oct., Nov., and Dec. considering the most likely scenario for September

RE_Player

Apart from Halo, which is just a collection of old games and multiplayer from those games, I don't see a big sales driver for the Xbox One this holiday. Phil Spencer is talking about how the real battle is September all the way to December but what is the main draw for the Xbox One?

Even games with co-marketing deals with Xbox are seeing more sales on PS4, like with UFC and Madden.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Apart from Halo, which is just a collection of old games and multiplayer from those games, I don't see a big sales driver for the Xbox One this holiday. Phil Spencer is talking about how the real battle is September all the way to December but what is the main draw for the Xbox One?

Even games with co-marketing deals with Xbox are seeing more sales on PS4, like with UFC and Madden.

Halo will be a pretty big driver.

October 16, two weeks.

oh thanks.i just want to see destiny. it was heavily marketed towards sony's favor. see if it was worth it in the end. also want to see how well the white was received. regardless of the destiny bundle i just hope they see that colored systems are hot. I WANT RED DAMMIT.

Krakn3Dfx

Wouldn't surprise me to see the XB1 sell better at least 1 of the last 3 months of 2014, maybe 2, not a Halo guy myself, but that franchise has a pretty strong following and if I was a Halo guy, that's a hell of a package you're getting for $60.

November NPD OT | There's No Crying In Console Sales

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I thought Ghosts sold very slightly better on XB1 over PS4 (51% to 49%) in the US. Any reason AW would be in favor of the PS4 even though XB1 is getting the marketing deal? Seems a bit odd, especially also when the XB1 has Sunset & Halo: MCC as exclusive shooters in the same timeframe that would appeal to the CoD crowd.

ascii42

I thought Ghosts sold very slightly better on XB1 over PS4 (51% to 49%) in the US. Any reason AW would be in favor of the PS4 even though XB1 is getting the marketing deal? Seems a bit odd, especially also when the XB1 has Sunset & Halo: MCC as exclusive shooters in the same timeframe that would appeal to the CoD crowd.

The PS4's lead over the XB1 has been steadily increasing, so it has a chance of selling better due to sheer marketshare. With that being said, the XB1 version of Ghosts still outsold the PS4 version in August, so...who knows. Also, I'm inclined to think that Killzone had an impact of CoD and BF4 sales on PS4 (anecdotally, I know I would have at least bought BF4 if I hadn't bought Killzone). This year, CoD will be competing with the MCC on XB1.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The PS4's lead over the XB1 has been steadily increasing, so it has a chance of selling better due to sheer marketshare. With that being said, the XB1 version of Ghosts still outsold the PS4 version in August, so...who knows. Also, I'm inclined to think that Killzone had an impact of CoD and BF4 sales on PS4 (anecdotally, I know I would have at least bought BF4 if I hadn't bought Killzone). This year, CoD will be competing with the MCC on XB1.

CoD also competed with Titanfall. While it dropped those months, it went back up with no issue.

Also seems like Skylanders Wii is also coming with a Wii U code (Disney Infinity 2.0 does that too). Did this happen for Skylanders/Disney last year too?

Raonak

Hows a good way to find numbers that are often posted in this thread? is there a keyword or something I should seach for?

GhaleonEB

Hows a good way to find numbers that are often posted in this thread? is there a keyword or something I should seach for?

Generally only a few folks post the numbers.

From the main page click on the # of posts in the thread. That pulls up the list of posters and how many posts they've made in the thread. Click on the # of posts they've made, and you get a search of only their posts in the thread.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PS4 dominance continues, it must be doing fantastic here in the UK too
I had a alert this week at work and I was like WTF?! it was telling us that from November we will be selling the Sony Playstation 4 including bundles and games but it will be through online and in-store ordering though, but that's complete madness
Why?
I work at Boots, yeah the pharmaceutical store.

Raonak

Generally only a few folks post the numbers.

From the main page click on the # of posts in the thread. That pulls up the list of posters and how many posts they've made in the thread. Click on the # of posts they've made, and you get a search of only their posts in the thread.

thanks, found it :)

Megatron

I think you can turn that around though. What's Sony's must have title for 2014? DriveClub? Probably not as big as Forza 2. Lbp3? Its a ps3 port and not made by Media Molecule. The MCC and sunset overdrive appear to be the best console exclusives for the rest of the year.

I bet it will sell better on PS4.

Based on the PS4 selling noticeably better than the XB1, it is thoroughly conceivable that the PS4 version manages to eck out the XB1 in terms of sheer sales. Either way, it will likely be close. We may very well see a situation where AW sells overall better on PS4 due to sheer install base margins, but has a better attach rate on the XB1 considering the usual demographics.

Also not sure about MCC or SO being big movers/shakers for MS. These games will likely sell very well to the XB1 install base, but are there really a large contingent of people looking to shell out $400 or $500 for the privilege of replaying the Halo series? It's a great tide over until next fall if you're both a Halo junkie and an XB1 owner, but it doesn't seem like something that would drive hardware sales beyond the PS4. Not when the PS4 sells consistently better without any significant software push (basically the entirety of this summer before Destiny). Perfectly willing to say I was wrong if I indeed turn out to be wrong, but it's just my two cents.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the XB1 sell better at least 1 of the last 3 months of 2014, maybe 2, not a Halo guy myself, but that franchise has a pretty strong following and if I was a Halo guy, that's a hell of a package you're getting for $60.

November NPD OT | There's No Crying In Console Sales

I could see MS take November or rather November will most likely be the strongest chance for MS to take a month before 2015

Previously I thought they might have a decent chance in October with Sunset Overdrive, the bundle for it, evolve co-marketing etc. but Evolve was delayed and I have come to realize that Sunset Overdrive may not be a large driving force for adoption on top of 3rd party games of course

It'll be interesting to see in November if Sony really does have some type of co-marketing deal with GTAV and especially if they have a bundle, how the PS4 does that month

I could see MS take November or rather November will most likely be the strongest chance for MS to take a month before 2015

Previously I thought they might have a decent chance in October with Sunset Overdrive, the bundle for it, evolve co-marketing etc. but Evolve was delayed and I have come to realize that Sunset Overdrive may not be a large driving force for adoption on top of 3rd party games of course

It'll be interesting to see in November if Sony really does have some type of co-marketing deal with GTAV and especially if they have a bundle, how the PS4 does that month

Yeah, October got a lot harder with Evolve's delay, but it will help out come february when X1 will need a lot of help.

RE_Player

I think you can turn that around though. What's Sony's must have title for 2014? DriveClub? Probably not as big as Forza 2. Lbp3? Its a ps3 port and not made by Media Molecule. The MCC and sunset overdrive appear to be the best console exclusives for the rest of the year.
LBP has tons of fans and just like Forza Horizon 2 a lot of those fans will move to the new hardware instead of sticking with he PS3 and 360.

I'm purely talking about the games being system movers. In that respect I agree DriveClub is a gamble. Halo MCC and Sunset Overdrive appear to be quality titles but I don't see Sunset Overdrive moving units and I don't see people other than diehard Halo fans jumping for joy and picking up Xbox Ones for a collection of older titles. No doubt Halo MCC will move units but not as much as a brand new Halo title.

Like others have said the real interesting data will be third party sales. PS4 is quickly becoming the 360 of this generation, the preferred third party console platform. In the current console climate PS4 has a legit shot at selling more copies of Call of Duty Advanced Warfare for example, something that was unheard of last generation as that franchise has always been associated with Xbox both in marketshare and public mindshare.

If that were the case, we'd have tons of Wii U ports of pretty much all third-party games.

Look at the industry. Think about how EA, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Activision, etc. come to decide their future plans.

If there isn't a Wii U port, there is a very good reason why there isn't a Wii U port. Companies don't make these kinds of decisions lightly.

I suspect packaging and distribution (and potentially unsold units) are a bigger cost than the actual porting of the game. Maybe if WiiU's digital sales were bigger we'd see more digital releases.

RE_Player

I suspect packaging and distribution (and potentially unsold units) are a bigger cost than the actual porting of the game. Maybe if WiiU's digital sales were bigger we'd see more digital releases.
Its also about the cost of time to publishers. Why give a team a couple months to port a game for Wii U with the slim possibility of even breaking even when you can have that team be a support studio and make dlc for big titles that are selling well on other platforms?

Opt1kon_

do any of you think GTA 5 and the combination of AC: Unity & The likes of Far cry 4 Will move some type of hardware this November because I'm sure sony will think of making another bundle especially around Far Cry 4 And GTA 5

RE_Player

do any of you think GTA 5 and the combination of AC: Unity & The likes of Far cry 4 Will move some type of hardware this November because I'm sure sony will think of making another bundle especially around Far Cry 4 And GTA 5
It's entirely possible with Far Cry 4 as it appears Sony has a marketing deal with Ubisoft for it. Same goes with GTA5 as they did have a PS3 bundle last year.

I could also see an AC: Unity Xbox One bundle.

Hardware will move this November though because of what is hard to say because of Black Friday and all. Every platform holder is going to have new bundles of some sort around then

Opt1kon_

It's entirely possible with Far Cry 4 as it appears Sony has a marketing deal with Ubisoft for it. Same goes with GTA5 as they did have a PS3 bundle last year.

I could also see an AC: Unity Xbox One bundle.

Yeah i almost forgot the Marketing with Xbox one, but theres so many variables this holidays season i actually wish them all the best of Luck Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo this will be a most interesting years end

Opt1kon_

Hardware will move this November though because of what is hard to say because of Black Friday and all. Every platform holder is going to have new bundles of some sort around then

Yeah this^^ as much, this may be the first time we see so many bundles I'm sure Consumers won't have much of a problem picking up what bundle suits their needs

Amazon update cause why not (yearly ranking):
#13 - Destiny (PS4)
#14 - Destiny (XB1)
#29 - Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
#34 - PS4 Destiny bundle
#59 - Destiny (360)
#67 - Hyrule Warriors

So Super Smash bros 3DS is now at #24 for the year on Amazon. Curious if it will pass Watch Dogs PS4 as it looks like it probably will

The Wii has been dead for three years and its successor still has a baseline under 100k. What a fucking embarrassment. The Wii U will struggle to reach 10 million at this rate.

Nah it will do 10 million just fine. It's probably at 6.5-7 million.
It will do a million or two just this holiday season.

We can expect Nintendo to do a bigger holiday season than last.
They can do another million just this year in the US I bet.

Well Sony did respond to all the X1 deals in the UK. Considering the US is the biggest market, it looks like they will have something up their sleeves to counteract the Halo effect. Whether it will be effective to still allow them to outsell the X1 remains to be seen. November is going to be very difficult to predict.

AniHawk

Nah it will do 10 million just fine. It's probably at 6.5-7 million.
It will do a million or two just this holiday season.

We can expect Nintendo to do a bigger holiday season than last.
They can do another million just this year in the US I bet.

if they didn't it would be a surprise. outside of a few months, they've been doing better year over year, and have much more appealing software at the end of this year than they did at the end of 2013, even if it's just smash bros.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well at least Sep-Dec will be interesting just in terms of # of releases... (listing US dates)... and I'm still probably missing a lot.

9/9 - Destiny
9/9 - NHL 15
9/16 - Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
9/20 - Disney Infinity 2.0
9/23 - FIFA 15
9/26 - Hyrule Warriors
9/30 - Shadows of Mordor
9/30 - Forza Horizon 2
10/3 - Smash Bros. 3DS
10/5 - Skylanders Trap Team
10/7 - NBA 2K15
10/7 - DriveClub
10/7 - Alien Isolation
10/14 - Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
10/14 - Evil Within
10/21 - Just Dance 2015
10/24 - Bayonetta 2
10/28 - Sunset Overdrive
11/3 - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
11/11 - Halo: Master Chief Collection
11/11 - Sonic Boom (Wii U / 3DS)
11/11 - Assassin's Creed Unity / Rogue / Watch Dogs Wii U
11/18 - Little Big Planet 3
11/18 - GTAV PS4/XB1
11/21 - Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire
11/21 - Smash Wii U?
11/25 - Persona Q

Edit:
For fun - Smash 3DS = #18 on Amazon best sellers of the year, just passed Minecraft 360 and Watch Dogs PS4 among others.

Top Bottom