• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For August 2016

Couple things stand out to me..

Madden sold well as the top game this month but sales were actually down 3% compared to its 2016 counterpart.

Then, Destiny: TTK is still in the Top 10 a year after release.

Could Rise of Iron be the top-selling game in September? I wouldn't be surprised if this happens, especially as FIFA 17 releases right at the end of the month. Edit: NBA2K 17 releases the same day as Rise of Iron on the 20th, so those two sports games might sell more but still it could be close.

Oh, and GTA V will be among the Top 10 until GTA VI comes out. I'm convinced of that now.

Happy to see NMS up there at #2, but NPD has lost its luster lately. It was much more informative when we were comparing apples to apples. Now, we are comparing apples + digital grapes to oranges. 1-10 has no meaning anymore when some count digital sales, some don't and we are talking revenue, not quantity sold.

Curufinwe

Those hardware year on year numbers are depressing. These console makers are going to see what happens when you don't ever reduce the price of your hardware and instead try to offer "improved" versions instead at the same price point.

Fucking ridiculous that they dont have $199 MSRP consoles ready to go this year.

At this point the only reason the ps4 slim isn't $199/249 is because it makes the ps4 pro look bad in comparison.

Actually, the cost of hard drives is a major reason console prices don't drop like they used to.

Look how long it took the PS3 and 360 to get down to $200.

Kill3r7

Couple things stand out to me..

Madden sold well as the top game this month but sales were actually down 3% compared to its 2016 counterpart.

Then, Destiny: TTK is still in the Top 10 a year after release.

Could Rise of Iron be the top-selling game in September? I wouldn't be surprised if this happens, especially as FIFA 17 releases right at the end of the month. Edit: NBA2K 17 releases the same day as Rise of Iron on the 20th, so those two sports games might sell more but still it could be close.

Oh, and GTA V will be among the Top 10 until GTA VI comes out. I'm convinced of that now.

Nope, NBA and Madden will both sell well over a million this month. Doubt ROI comes close to that. It could be top 3 if it sells better than FIFA but FIFA has been growing and last year it outsold TTK. So, I doubt that happens plus the bulk of the sales for ROI will be from digital downloads.

StereoVsn

I don't think that either of the titles listed in Guymelef's post "bombed", they just underperformed compared to expectations. I fully expect the same to happen with CoD now after Ghosts and BlOps3 even though IW seems to be a really interesting take on the series.
I think revenue wise it's going to do well simply because of the higher prices MW4 bundle which a lot of people are going to buy vs standard. So while overall number of sales maybe lower, revenue is unlikely to take a hit, IMO.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Nope, NBA and Madden will both sell well over a million this month. Doubt ROI comes close to that. It could be top 3 if it sells better than FIFA but FIFA has been growing and last year it outsold TTK. So, I doubt that happens plus the bulk of the sales for ROI will be from digital downloads.

Madden won't sell over a million.

Madden 15 first NPD was 1.1 million, second NPD was 900k.
Madden 17 first NPD is 933k, so looks unlucky a bigger second NPD.

NBA 2K17, in others hands, i can see it selling over 1.5 million. last year NBA 2K16 sold over 1.1 million in only one week, the series is bigger than what was years ago, so we can expect big numbers this September for NBA.

Kill3r7

Madden won't sell over a million.

Madden 15 first NPD was 1.1 million, second NPD was 900k.
Madden 17 first NPD is 933k, so looks unlucky a bigger second NPD.

NBA 2K17, in others hands, i can see it selling over 1.5 million. last year NBA 2K16 sold over 1.1 million in only one week, the series is bigger than what was years ago, so we can expect big numbers this September for NBA.

You might be right but the reason why I think Madden might do better this September as compared to last year is because the game has been on sale for $40 almost all of this month. This is a slightly different strategy from previous years. Admittedly it could also mean that the game is not selling that well but I suspect it is a planned strategy to maybe steal some of 2K's momentum. We will find out soon enough.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
You might be right but the reason why I think Madden might do better this September as compared to last year is because the game has been on sale for $40 almost all of this month. This is a slightly different strategy from previous years. Admittedly it could also mean that the game is not selling that well but I suspect it is a planned strategy to maybe steal some of 2K's momentum. We will find out soon enough.

Fair point, didn't thought about this.

...We will see i guess. :p

Sad to see Deus ex not selling as well. Imo it's one of the best game out this year.i returned no man sky and bought Deus ex with that money. One of the best gaming choices I have made.

Geeun

I'm so glad rainbow six siege charted. It's my favorite multiplayer FPS of this gen by far. Such a great game.

I have to bring it up almost every time Siege sales get discussed on this board but Siege started big and has legged great. It did almost a million in its 1st NPD (over 800k if I'm remembering correctly).

However it didn't start off well in the UK charts and I think that's where this weird narrative has formed around it that it wasn't a big seller from the start since those were released prior to its 1st NPD.

Yeah, I guess it was the narrative surrounding the game prior to, and just after launch, that fed that perception. Thanks for clearing that up!

Jeels

In regards to Deus Ex, 100k in the US for PS4 and 300K on steam WW means it will hit 1 million at least WW....shouldn't that at least cover costs?

Welfare

In regards to Deus Ex, 100k in the US for PS4 and 300K on steam WW means it will hit 1 million at least WW....shouldn't that at least cover costs?

Isn't the break even sales number 3 million? Looks like this will be another Tomb Raider 2013 where Square will see this as a failure, and unlike TR2013 Deus Ex won't have a next gen port to fall back on next year.

Happy to see NMS up there at #2, but NPD has lost its luster lately. It was much more informative when we were comparing apples to apples. Now, we are comparing apples + digital grapes to oranges. 1-10 has no meaning anymore when some count digital sales, some don't and we are talking revenue, not quantity sold.

Agreed, but it does give us a good point of reference, and as long as we know the limitations of the NPD data, then we can adjust accordingly.

And if anything, it's still a good indicator of hardware sales data. Really interesting that the XB1S drove sales like it did.

UBISOFT TOPS YEAR-TO-DATE SALES AGAIN IN LATEST NPD AND GFK REPORTS

WHAT - In the most recent monthly sales report from market research firm the NPD Group in North American and in cumulated reports from GfK in Europe and NPD in Australia, Ubisoft again ranked first among all publishers in year-to-date sales. August is the sixth month in a row that Ubisoft has held the year-to-date sales lead in the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia. Ubisoft’s market share in Europe and Australia year-to-date is 14.9%, according to GfK and NPD1, and is 16% in the U.S. and 13% in Canada2.

HOW / WHY - The continued traction of Tom Clancy’s The Division, which is the top selling title year-to-date (1) (2); Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege, which ranks among the top 10 games in August sales (2); and, Far Cry Primal, which is in the top ten year-to-date in sales (1) (2), helped Ubisoft retain its pole position. Ubisoft is delivering on its strategy of creating games with robust post-launch content, services and support.

WHEN - Rainbow Six Siege continues to engage players with a nearly 40% increase in active players since its latest update, Skull Rain. Players can look forward to more content from Tom Clancy’s The Division with the upcoming Expansion II: Survival and Expansion III: Last Stand. Additionally, Just Dance 2017 will launch on October 28 and Watch_Dogs 2 will launch on November 15. They will be followed by For Honor, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon and South Park: The Fractured But Whole in early 2017.

(1) Based on retail sales only in Europe (France, Germany, UK, Benelux, Spain, Italy, Austria, Switzerland), and Australia

(2) According to NPD Group's retail and digital games tracking services for the U.S.

dr_rus

I'm sure that it will sell more than 1M eventually but even at 5M it would still somewhat underperform for a modern AAA console franchise.

Top Bottom