• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

A_Gorilla

Banned
MarchNPD is gonna break NeoGaf. PS4 is still in stock at Amazon, and at least in my area, every single Gamestop had PS4s in stock, with none of them saying "Low Stock" yet.

Either demand has fallen of a cliff or Sony finally released the floodgates...

MarchNPD is gonna break NeoGaf. PS4 is still in stock at Amazon, and at least in my area, every single Gamestop had PS4s in stock, with none of them saying "Low Stock" yet.

PS4 was out of stock on Amazon as recently as two days ago.

Well we don't know how much was allocated to Amazon in the latest shipment. If it's a small number there may be cause for concern, if it's large then we haven't really learned anything new.

Just came in stock on Amazon yesterday. 2nd restock this month. Each time it comes back in stock it is in for 3 or 4 days then disappears. Dunno about Gamestop but I thought they got stock day before. It definitely won't be another Wii, but I wouldn't say demand has fallen off a cliff.

March should be veeerrry interesting. Both consoles have big titles coming their way. MS with TF and Sony with SS and to a lesser extent MG. Has MS said anything about TF sales? Sony about SS preorders?

Guymelef

So what I find an interesting comparison

Code:
Platform: Jan Results -> Feb Results | Percentage Change MOM

PS4: 271K -> ~269K | [-.7%]
XB1: 141K -> 258K | [+83%]
3DS: ~97K -> ~151K - 156K | [+56% - +61%]
PS3: ~53.5K -> ~103K | [+92.5%]
Wii U: 49K -> 82.5K | [+68%]
360: ~48.5K -> 114K | [+135%]
Vita: <17K -> ~24K | [+41%]

Average Percentage Change MOM is +68% up from January, median is also +68% oddly enough

What in gods name happened in January? The numbers make it look like sales collapsed only for that month at this point. It's really odd.

From where are those numbers?

Which console is selling more by volume?

I mean, just because the numbers say the PS4 is selling more, that doesn't mean that the XBone can't be selling more, y'know what I mean?

Someone needs to calculate the cubic inches at play because I have a feeling that MS might be the real winners here.

nah
Xbox One is heavier, therefore the total mass of consoles sold is greater than PS4!

I don't know, it is heavier right

What in gods name happened in January? The numbers make it look like sales collapsed only for that month at this point. It's really odd.

1.) Deals everywhere: Newegg free games with purchases that I kept posting, Target $50 gift card with purchase, etc

2.) People getting their tax return, PS4 is out of stock pick up an Xbox One instead. Compulsive shoppers.

3.) Gears of War Exclusive Announcement

4.) Plants VS Zombies was actually good

5.) The Titanfall beta was super hyped

Pick one?

Edit: Now fixed...

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
1.) Deals everywhere: Newegg free games with purchases that I kept posting, Target $50 gift card with purchase, etc

2.) People getting their tax return, PS4 is out of stock pick up an Xbox One instead. Compulsive shoppers.

3.) Gears of War Exclusive Announcement

4.) Plants VS Zombies was actually good

5.) The Titanfall beta was super hyped

Pick one?

I think he's asking where they originated from, not how.

EDIT: Aha, you edit, I edit. We shall all edit.

I mean, just because the numbers say the PS4 is selling more, that doesn't mean that the XBone can't be selling more, y'know what I mean?

Someone needs to calculate the cubic inches at play because I have a feeling that MS might be the real winners here.

Major Nelson Facts material right there.

Mrbob

You can use Kinect as a lethal weapon. Playstation Camera is too small to do real damage. Plus Kinect is included in so I guess this guarantees MS victory.

ascii42

Vita is ~24k

It's a sad state of affairs when I see that number and think "not bad"

My standards for Vita sales have fallen that low. I guess the next thing to look to is the Vita 2000/Borderlands bundle and see if that can make any difference at all.

From where are those numbers?

We already have January numbers

We've basically officially gotten XB1, X360 and Wii U numbers

Aqua helped us get PS3 numbers which in turn allowed us to correct PS4 numbers

The great lord cream gave us Vita + 3DS numbers in a range

Cosmic Cheesiest granted us a look into Vita numbers which helped get 3DS numbers

I'm not 100% on handhelds though but they are fairly close I would imagine

Percentage stuff is me having #funwithnumbers

Summary.

Hardware
PS4 ~269K
XB1 - 258K
3DS ~151-155K
360 - 114K
PS3 ~102K
WIU ~82.5K
WII ~39K
PSV ~24K

Software

Tie ratios/total LTD software:
PS4 = 2.18 = 5.53M
XB1 = 2.75 = 6.09M

February:

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) - 42K
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/360/PC) < 55K; 360 SKU 62% < 34K
Bravely Default physical retail - 160K-165K
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) < 111K
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (360) < 54K
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSV) ~13.5K

LTD:
Tearaway (PSV) LTD ~56K
Rayman Legends (WIU) ~99k
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WIU) ~97k
Sonic: Lost World (WIU) ~94k
The Wonderful 101 (WIU) ~65k
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) ~240K

Sales splits:
Thief - PS4 56%, XBO 44%
Rayman Legends - PS4 58%, XBO 42%
The LEGO Movie Videogame - WiiU 41%, XBO 33%, PS4 26%

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I have a question about the Danganronpa numbers.

Would they count sales that were directly from the NISA store?

I was over 300k units off this month, and what's sad is I'm still probably one of the closer guesses overall.

XB1 and last gen slaughtered everyone this month, lol

I was over 300k units off this month, and what's sad is I'm still probably one of the closer guesses overall.

XB1 and last gen slaughtered everyone this month, lol

hey guys
Wii U will totally outsell Xbox One in May /Apophiswhatever

edit: hey shinra-bansho Bravely Default physical is >160k not <160k

Sorry if this is off topic, but how can Sony continue to run the playstation the way they are? They're selling a lot of PS4's but correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't make a huge profit on the hardware and they give out swaths of free games each month across multiple platforms. From my end it looks like the Michael Scott Paper Company.

Also please don't read this negatively. I really want a PS4 someday.

Guymelef

We already have January numbers

We've basically officially gotten XB1, X360 and Wii U numbers

Aqua helped us get PS3 numbers which in turn allowed us to correct PS4 numbers

The great lord cream gave us Vita + 3DS numbers in a range

Cosmic Cheesiest granted us a look into Vita numbers which helped get 3DS numbers

I'm not 100% on handhelds though but they are fairly close I would imagine

Percentage stuff is me having #funwithnumbers

I missed the Cosmic Cheesiest post with cup half empty ^^u

ascii42

Sorry if this is off topic, but how can Sony continue to run the playstation the way they are? They're selling a lot of PS4's but correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't make a huge profit on the hardware and they give out swaths of free games each month across multiple platforms. From my end it looks like the Michael Scott Paper Company.

The "free" games are financed through PlayStation Plus subscriptions. Sony sells the PS4 at a bit of a loss, but they make money on software. They receive royalties from every third party game sold.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Manabyte's twitter meltdown is a sight to behold. He says NPD's don't matter because it's US only, says that Amazon charts are all that matter, says that Gamestop's layaway program goosed X1 sales, and insists that Infamous will outsell Titanfall by a significant margin (it will be successful, but Titanfall will sell more, IMHO.)

Oh, and he firmly believes that MS will sell the Xbox division to Amazon any moment now.

He's making PS4 partisans look horrible, and that's an understatement.

But they give out multiple free games each month for the year with a $50 (price?) PS+ subscription. Some of the games they give away are $50 on their own. I don't see how that once a year payment can subsidize the cost of all that.

gtj1092

Manabyte's twitter meltdown is a sight to behold. He says NPD's don't matter because it's US only, says that Amazon charts are all that matter, says that Gamestop's layaway program goosed X1 sales, and insists that Infamous will outsell Titanfall by a significant margin (it will be successful, but Titanfall will sell more, IMHO.)

Oh, and he firmly believes that MS will sell the Xbox division to Amazon any moment now.

He's making PS4 partisans look horrible, and that's an understatement.

Are we suppose to know who this manabyte is?

Top Bottom