• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall:

Overall retail sales are up 18% year over year.

Hardware sales were up 8% year over year.

Retail software sales were up 21% year over year.

Software:

1.) Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
2.) The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
3.) Lego: Jurassic World (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita)
4.) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
5.) Splatoon (Wii U)
6.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
7.) Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
8.) Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
9.) NBA 2K15 (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
10.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Notes:
-PlayStation 4 software sales lead June.
-Batman: Arkham Knight's sales slightly exceeded Arkham City, and if you count bundles, it's the best selling games so far this year. Arkham City sold over 1.5 million copies.
-Warner's sales are up 217% year over year for the first six months, and has the number 1 corporate publisher position so far.
-Splatoon sold 290K for a total of 455K.
-Mario Kart 8 has surpassed 2 million.

Hardware:

PlayStation 4: Top selling
Xbox One: Up 51% year over year.

Xbox One 2014 June = 197k

Up 51% = 297k

Notes:
-Combined Wii U/3DS sales up 20% for the first six months of the year.
-3DS sales alone up 40% year over year for the first six months of the year.

Other Information:

VB Sony said:
“PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in the United States in June due to the overwhelming popularity of the Batman: Arkham Knight PS4 bundles,” a Sony spokesperson told GamesBeat. “PlayStation 4 also led software sales in June.”

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/16/p...-in-the-u-s-last-month-according-to-npd-data/
VB Nintendo said:
When we asked Nintendo for a comment, it provided the following statement:

“Through the first six months of 2015, combined sales of Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems have increased by more than 20 percent over the same time frame in 2014. Much of this growth can be attributed to Nintendo 3DS and the new momentum created by the launch of New Nintendo 3DS XL on Feb. 13. So far this year, sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware have increased by more than 40 percent over sales at the same point last year.”

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/16/june-2015-npd-ps4-beats-xbox/
VB Microsoft said:
Likewise, Microsoft provided a statement of its own:

“Xbox One and Xbox Live continue to see strong growth in sales and engagement. Xbox One sales in the U.S. were up 51 percent over June 2014 and active global Xbox Live users (Xbox One and Xbox 360) grew 22 percent.”

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/16/june-2015-npd-ps4-beats-xbox/
"The report revealed that Arkham Knight is the second best-selling game of 2015 behind Mortal Kombat X, and first if hardware bundles are included. Arkham Knight exceeded sales of 2011's Batman: Arkham City. Additionally, the NPD report notes that the PlayStation 4 version of Arkham Knight "had the highest sales for a single SKU across any Batman game since NPD has been tracking the industry."

In a statement to GameSpot, Nintendo reported that Mario Kart 8 has continued to do well, selling over 2 million units in the United States since its release last year. Splatoon sold 290,000 copies in June in the U.S. and 455,000 units total since it launched in May.

NPD reported that physical game sales were up year-over-year, too, with June 2015 having 18 percent higher sales than June 2014.

Warner Bros. Interactive remains the top publisher in 2015, with 217 percent greater sales this year than in the first half of 2014. It has published Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat X, and Batman: Arkham Knight so far this year.

NPD also revealed that the PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console of the month, due in large part to the PS4's Arkham Knight bundle.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-the-elder-scrolls-online-top-/1100-6428962/

Flarin

Splatoon in the Top 5!

iLFIF98.gif

No surprise for #1.

Notes:
-PlayStation 4 software sales lead June.

Hardware:

PlayStation 4: Top selling

3rHyueH.gif

Batman had a strong debut. It had a huge hand in the industry’s strong comparison to last June. At the same time, Arkham Knight had an especially strong showing on PlayStation 4.

Sony has already said that the Batman bundle helped sell PS4 hardware, but despite this, the game still sold better on PS4 than Xbox One on this chart. That’s noteworthy because this NPD list does not include bundled games. So it sounds like Sony made a wise investment when it decided to help co-market Arkham Knight.
Very nice!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm actually surprised Nintendo issued a PR/kind-of-PR considering Iwata's passing.

I've been playing Arkham Knight and it's fucking brilliant, so congrats to Rocksteady for the major sale numbers. It deserves to come out on top.

SeanR1221

I'd say the most impressive one is splatoon at 5.

A single sku game on a dead system. Damn.

It's very good. I'm glad it's doing so well.

sense

"Sony has already said that the Batman bundle helped sell PS4 hardware, but despite this, the game still sold better on PS4 than Xbox One on this chart. That’s noteworthy because this NPD list does not include bundled games. So it sounds like Sony made a wise investment when it decided to help co-market Arkham Knight."

so not a destiny like situation where standalone sold more on xb1 but with bundles included ps4 version sold more

HMD

Surprised to see the sales are up from last year for Xbone and PS4, I guess consoles aren't dying after all.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I mean I knew PS4 was going to be #1 because of Batman, but those bundles did work. September might see the return of crazy Destiny sales due to the bundles.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Xbox One 2014 June = 197k

Up 51% = 297k

That's...much better than what I was expecting for One.

Also, guys...3DS over 200k? It's 40% over the first six months, not just this month.

GalvoAg

Banned
Happy for Splatoon and Nintendo, the game is great. My ten year old cousin just had a Splatoon themed birthday party and they were loving it. Game will have good legs I think.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Healthy performance for console gaming as a whole there which is great to see. I can see Witcher 3 having long legs.

HonMirin

For some reason I honestly thought MS would take it this month for hardware. Seen an awful lot of deals about really pushing the system. Anyways, well done Sony again for taking June.

And well done Nintendo for Splatoon! Still hitting the top 5.

Top Bottom