• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

My anecdotal story is kind of the same. I went to BB to pick up some speakers at the online pickup and saw that area behind the employees where the hold stuff for people. Saw about 8 Batman LE and non LE PS4s combined. 0 Xboxes. Did see a copy of AK behind held for Xbone though. Could be that Xbox purchasers like to head to the stores themselves to buy it rather than hold for pickup though.
It's because the Xboxes were flying off the shelves.

I can't see that, you have The Witcher 3, lingering MKX, Lego, Still charting GTA V, and Elder Scrolls.

Those games will be fighting for the next 5 after Batman. If Splatoon charts, as I said before, i expect it to be from 6 at highest, 9 at lowest. I think due to the slow month it'll prevent being 10, but that could happen.

Lol banned, but still I feel like he's underestimating the effect of CONSTANTLY advertising something colorful and hyperactive/frantic on Nickelodeon and the like

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ZhugeEX said:
Btw, I know it wasn't the point of your huge post a few pages back - but mobile competitiveness isn't exactly a plus. Hardware numbers aside, the sky rocketing user acquisition costs make that market as big of a risk as any other (if not worse, given the lower user-monetization potential of most regions).
'Mobile' technically threatens (windows)PC-online as well (arguably more so given the business models), although at current rate of hw-advancement we may all have Steam tablets in a few years so that may be moot.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Btw, I know it wasn't the point of your huge post a few pages back - but mobile competitiveness isn't exactly a plus. Hardware numbers aside, the sky rocketing user acquisition costs make that market as big of a risk as any other (if not worse, given the lower user-monetization potential of most regions).
'Mobile' technically threatens (windows)PC-online as well (arguably more so given the business models), although at current rate of hw-advancement we may all have Steam tablets in a few years so that may be moot.

Convergence in mobile "threatens" everything.

Mobile isn't a 100% replacement for all these industries but it can be for some people and won't ever be for others and will sometimes be for the majority.

Each industry will converge with mobile in some way or another and the impact that has on the traditional industry will vary a lot. The traditional camera industry for example has been greatly affected by mobile where as banking hasn't seen a huge impact for mobile and ultimately is benefiting from it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ZhugeEX said:
Convergence in mobile "threatens" everything.
I was referring to 'mobile' in context of phones and existing market/business model for games - which isn't going to be easily disrupted and is, as you noted extremely tempting for potential gains, no matter the risks. Stationary devices giving way to portable were always a given, even if there was no apple or google around.

That said - e-Sports is relatively safe from convergence because it exists on its specialization, so control schemes etc. are quite slow to change. Even if mobile devices eventually offer an alternative that isn't terrible, it won't be any guarantee for a change.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I was referring to 'mobile' in context of phones and existing market/business model for games - which isn't going to be easily disrupted and is, as you noted extremely tempting for potential gains, no matter the risks. Stationary devices giving way to portable were always a given, even if there was no apple or google around.

That said - e-Sports is relatively safe from convergence because it exists on its specialization, so control schemes etc. are quite slow to change. Even if mobile devices eventually offer an alternative that isn't terrible, it won't be any guarantee for a change.

Oh yeh, I would agree with that. When talking about the overall gaming market.

Abdiel

So I know you all have been curious, figured I'd give some impressions of stuff over the month.

Arkham did very well. In line with that, the ps4 bundles have done very well also. Not as amazing as Destiny, but I don't think anyone was expecting that anyway. Surprising number of people talking about the final fantasy vii remake too.

Saw a few people coming in to ask about the backwards compatibility for the xb1, but it was kind of a split for who bought one when it was determined it wouldn't be officially out til later this year, and it's not universal. We also had a dad return an mcc bundle because he found out halo 5 wouldn't support split screen at all, and he had only intended to do so with his son. His disappointment was really distinct.

Splatoon has been hit or miss, some of our stores sold out entirely, others haven't moved much over the month. Probably did well though.

Obviously this is all best buy impressions, so I have no idea how the larger trends in gamestop or Wal-Mart will be. I'm really interested though. If arkham did asas well there as with us, this will be a big month for the ps4.

Ps, zhuge, your new avi is just fine. Haha

Loris146

So I know you all have been curious, figured I'd give some impressions of stuff over the month.

Arkham did very well. In line with that, the ps4 bundles have done very well also. Not as amazing as Destiny, but I don't think anyone was expecting that anyway. Surprising number of people talking about the final fantasy vii remake too.

Saw a few people coming in to ask about the backwards compatibility for the xb1, but it was kind of a split for who bought one when it was determined it wouldn't be officially out til later this year, and it's not universal. We also had a dad return an mcc bundle because he found out halo 5 wouldn't support split screen at all, and he had only intended to do so with his son. His disappointment was really distinct.

Splatoon has been hit or miss, some of our stores sold out entirely, others haven't moved much over the month. Probably did well though.

Obviously this is all best buy impressions, so I have no idea how the larger trends in gamestop or Wal-Mart will be. I'm really interested though. If arkham did asas well there as with us, this will be a big month for the ps4.

Thanks as usual Abdiel

Finally some insight!!!

I have to ask whether or not you think the XBO gained ground with the free game bundles. And also was there an noticeable E3 bump or just business as usual?

Thanks for giving us inside info man.

Abdiel

Finally some insight!!!

I have to ask whether or not you think the XBO gained ground with the free game bundles. And also was there an noticeable E3 bump or just business as usual?

As to the free game promo, eh. People took advantage of it, but it didn't have the star power awareness of even just the standard ps4 bundle, which I saw advertised a lot. It felt like no contest this month for us.

For e3, it's not usually a big thing, because many games are awhile out. We'll see more of a rush of preorders for games, instead of a big push of new hardware. But there was a bunch of people talking about ffvii, which I'll admit, made me smile.

Javin98

Banned

Once again, thanks a lot for your insight, Abdiel. Really helps me with my predictions. Just for further information, you said the PS4 bundle did very well and I'm guessing it cannibalized sales of the other SKU's. Anyway, how well did the XB1 do overall? Significantly behind the PS4 or slightly? How did the 1TB bundle sell?

As to the free game promo, eh. People took advantage of it, but it didn't have the star power awareness of even just the standard ps4 bundle, which I saw advertised a lot. It felt like no contest this month for us.

For e3, it's not usually a big thing, because many games are awhile out. We'll see more of a rush of preorders for games, instead of a big push of new hardware. But there was a bunch of people talking about ffvii, which I'll admit, made me smile.

As I say every year, e3 doesn't do much for console sales. People over hype the effect e3 has on immediate console sales.

Javin98

Banned
Yup. Hope Abdiel stays at best buy forever so he can provide us with these updates.
tumblr_mcrevledOr1qcyr71.gif

Still giving 'dem insight!

Javin98

Banned
I'm flattered you guys appreciate my info so much. Haha.
Haha, of course. Imagine how much harder it is to make predictions in the NPD thread with no help from inside sources. Anyway, since you're here now, can you please give a little insight on my questions from earlier?

Once again, thanks a lot for your insight, Abdiel. Really helps me with my predictions. Just for further information, you said the PS4 bundle did very well and I'm guessing it cannibalized sales of the other SKU's. Anyway, how well did the XB1 do overall? Significantly behind the PS4 or slightly? How did the 1TB bundle sell?

Abdiel

Haha, of course. Imagine how much harder it is to make predictions in the NPD thread with no help from inside sources. Anyway, since you're here now, can you please give a little insight on my questions from earlier?

Well, I kinda answered that a few posts up. The ps4 won handily in all ofof our stores. There were still sales leading into the arkham launch, and then that burst out with great numbers.

The 1tb bundles aren't really doing a whole lot yet. It's more expensive and the value of the storage is lost on a lot of people. I've got no idea outside of best buy, but the gap was significant.

Well, I kinda answered that a few posts up. The ps4 won handily in all ofof our stores. There were still sales leading into the arkham launch, and then that burst out with great numbers.

The 1tb bundles aren't really doing a whole lot yet. It's more expensive and the value of the storage is lost on a lot of people. I've got no idea outside of best buy, but the gap was significant.

YEah I think it is going to be a big win for ps4 for June, several months of pre-orders are also going into June. 3 PS4 sku's have been ahead of the first x1 sku the last few days on amazon as well as soon as the free game promotion ended.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Haha, I don't know why people are talking about it so much lol!

Anyway, thanks again for another brilliant and insightful post. Always great to get your perspective on things and see what trends you've noticed.

YEah I think it is going to be a big win for ps4 for June, several months of pre-orders are also going into June. 3 PS4 sku's have been ahead of the first x1 sku the last few days on amazon as well as soon as the free game promotion ended.

Yeah the XBO bundles went from competitive to falling off a clif on Amazon. The 500gb bundle is at #89 on the hourly while the PS4 grey/steel arkham bundle sold out and is now at scalp prices for the few they have left courtesy of third party sellers.

Javin98

Banned

I see, thanks for your insight again. If this is the case in Best Buy, I wonder how it was in other retailers. If it was the same, I'm expecting a gap north of 100K.

I'm flattered you guys appreciate my info so much. Haha.

LTTP: We really do appreciate you, I would go so much as to take a bullet (ban) for you. Just so you can live longer here xD

Wish we could get another GameStop Insider though :/ (miss Shogun)

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah the XBO bundles went from competitive to falling off a clif on Amazon. The 500gb bundle is at #89 on the hourly while the PS4 grey/steel arkham bundle sold out and is now at scalp prices for the few they have left courtesy of third party sellers.

That's what tends to happen when you have a limited time promo.
Sales go up (they even went slightly above the PS4 for some time on the Hourly on Amazon), but as soon as the promo ends sales generally fall off the cliff.

The PS4 probably handily won the month (following monthly amazon rankings are before the usual round up update which should happen within a few days).

PS4: #24, #30, #78

XB1: #25, #54, #55

And that's not including the pre orders of the Batman bundles for PS4, which have been going on since March 31st afaik.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Wii U + Best Buy is always so weird xD. I guess if only 2% of Wii U sales are from Best Buy, having like some random %age of stores being sold out of Splatoon may be a good sign? Hahaha.

So when does the June NPD Prediction Thread go up? We need it so I can post these details:

Amazon's June Monthly Ranking (Last Update)

25. PS4 TLOU
26. PS4 Batman
27. XBO AC
53. XBO MCC
54. XBO 1TB
70. PS4 LE Batman

Deals for the month of June

-Best Buy had the trade-in deal for PS4 first week of June
-GameStop had free PS Plus with PS4 second week of June
-Best Buy had the trade-in deal for Xbox One third week of June
-GameStop had Free Bloodborne with PS4 third week of June
-All Retailers had Free Xbox Game for the fourth week of June
-All Retailers had the launch of two PS4 Batman Bundles for the last two weeks of June
(Plus pre-orders from way back in March)
-GameStop had both PS4 & XBO trade-in deals for the last week of June

Top Bottom