• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall:

May retail game sales are up 4% year over year.

Hardware was down 10% year over year.

Retail game sales were up 18% year over year.

Software:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4) - It's either the best or second best selling Uncharted game. I think the text is implying second best after Uncharted 3, but I can't tell 100%. Either way it's a relatively large number.
  2. Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  3. Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  6. Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  9. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  10. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
Notes:
- “New launches were a major driver of the growth seen in May 2016 compared to May 2015,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said in a statement. “Collectively, May 2016 new launches sold nearly double in unit sales and 108 percent more in dollars as new launches last May. These May 2016 launches represented 51 percent of overall new physical software sales for the month.”
- “Uncharted 4 also marked the best first month of sales for any game in the Uncharted series after Uncharted 3, which is remarkable given the fact that it launched during the holiday period in November 2011,” said Callahan. “The success of Uncharted helped Sony rank as the leading software publisher for May 2016.”
- "Doom ranked second for May 2016 sales on a unit basis and had the best first month of sales for any game in the franchise when combining sales across platforms — exceeding sales of Doom 3’s launch on the PC in August 2004,” said Callahan. “Overwatch was the third best-selling game for May with only a few days on the market. When comparing Overwatch sales for days in the market, this title doubled the sales of Doom.”

Hardware:

“As we head into E3 2016, it is encouraging to see such a healthy install base of the Xbox One and PS4, which currently have 43 percent higher cumulative unit sales than their predecessors at the same point in their lifecycles,” said Callahan.

3DS up 148% year over year (or 38% month over month) due to 2DS price cut.

Other Info:

Sony PR: No Comment

Nintendo PR: No Comment

Microsoft PR:

“In May 2016, gaming hours on Xbox One more than doubled compared to last year, driven by the launches of Overwatch and Doom as well as the addition of Call of Duty: Black Ops to the catalog of Xbox 360 titles playable on Xbox One,” Xbox marketing vice president Mike Nichols said in a statement provided to GamesBeat.

Dinjooh

BPXYwQx.gif

idlewild_

Thought OW would be 2, probably skewed more for PC. Surprised at BB getting 4th.

First time PS4 has led for Minecraft?

if you took the digital copies of Overwatch into account I wonder how much it has sold. I think it would certainly handily be no. 1

Tankard

Doom over Overwatch has me very happy, i don't have anything against Overwatch, just happy to see Doom doing well over a game that seems to be selling a lot.

AmuroChan

I'm glad Battleborn didn't bomb. Hate seeing talented devs lose their jobs.

Also, MLB with some pretty good legs.

“In May 2016, gaming hours on Xbox One more than doubled compared to last year, driven by the launches of Overwatch and Doom as well as the addition of Call of Duty: Black Ops to the catalog of Xbox 360 titles playable on Xbox One,” Xbox marketing vice president Mike Nichols said in a statement provided to GamesBeat.

Battleborn couldn't even make the desperate PR statement.

Battleborn not flopping is a huge surprise.

Homefront though is not.

I wouldn't be so sure Batleborn didn't flop. I always figured this month that UC4, Doom and Overwatch would sell quite well. I also think that 4-10 is a fight between a bunch of games that likely didn't sell very many copies at retail this month, everything other than Battleborn is a title that's been out for months.

May game sales were up 4% year over year and the overall retail game sales are up 18% year over year, so sounds good to me. Sucks about the hardware though, I blame the declining PS3/360/WiiU/3DS and to some extent, Xbox One hardware.

Top Bottom