• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I feel like these NPD threads are going the way of the Lion King. Aqua disappeared like simba but just when shit's most dire (holiday NPD threads), she'll come back with a golden mane, eyes on the prize.

Seik

Banned
I feel like these NPD threads are going the way of the Lion King. Aqua disappeared like simba but just when shit's most dire (holiday NPD threads), she'll come back with a golden mane, eyes on the prize.

To be honest I'd just like to know if Aqua will be OK, even if there's no numbers...

That last post Aqua left showed a lot of stress, left me worried. :(

Ah, so it's 20.1 million shipped in 14 months then. That's a little easier for Sony to make, I'd think.

They can make 20 million shipped fairly easily if they can manufacture them and they don't mind stuffing the channels for a little bit. Now 20 million sold will be quite different, and with the Wii the majority of those shipped consoles were sold as well.

To be honest I'd just like to know if Aqua will be OK, even if there's no numbers...

I honestly think that she won't be leaking anything when she comes back. The past couple months plus her posts make it seem like the NPD has had enough with the GAF leaks (mainly because of how quickly they spread to everywhere else), and I don't see any reasonable way of stemming that tide by more than a couple minutes or so.

I think she'll be fine but just needed time away (hence the self ban). She'll be back before you know even if she doesn't leak anything else. Her wisdom of all things sales is very much appreciated around here.

I honestly think that she won't be leaking anything when she comes back. The past couple months plus her posts make it seem like the NPD has had enough with the GAF leaks (mainly because of how quickly they spread to everywhere else), and I don't see any reasonable way of stemming that tide by more than a couple minutes or so.

The only real "solution" I can see is if the leaks themselves wait and wait and wait.

Screw a couple hours or a day. Wait a week to post leaks in these threads or anywhere. By the way Aqua talked about it, NPD seems very concerned when leaks spread quickly right after a NPD report is published so this would offset that naturally by a bit as well as likely lessening interest by some lurkers simply because leakers could randomly choose to start the leaks 3 or 4 or 5 days etc. after the thread goes up and lurkers would be far lessened I think.

upcoming things of interest:

Microsoft Q1 report: 10/23 (why does MS's year run from July to June?)
Nintendo Q2 report: 10/29

(someone correct me if I'm wrong with this, also Sony's is coming around the same time but I don't know the date)

edit: right, only Nintendo still has the courage not to combine systems together to make the numbers look more impressive
or maybe because doing so wouldn't help anyway

upcoming things of interest:

Microsoft Q1 report: 10/23 (why does MS's year run from July to June?)
Nintendo Q2 report: 10/29

(someone correct me if I'm wrong with this, also Sony's is coming around the same time but I don't know the date)

I believe Sony is Oct 31st??

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/calendar/index.html

Code:
October 31, 2014[Fri]16:30 (JST)  -  Q2 FY2014 Earnings Announcement

Presenter:  	EVP and Chief Financial Officer, Representative Corporate Executive Officer  	Kenichiro Yoshida
SVP, Corporate Executive  	Hiroki Totoki
VP, Senior General Manager, Corporate Control Department

ascii42

The only real "solution" I can see is if the leaks themselves wait and wait and wait.

Screw a couple hours or a day. Wait a week to post leaks in these threads or anywhere. By the way Aqua talked about it, NPD seems very concerned when leaks spread quickly right after a NPD report is published so this would offset that naturally by a bit as well as likely lessening interest by some lurkers simply because leakers could randomly choose to start the leaks 3 or 4 or 5 days etc. after the thread goes up and lurkers would be far lessened I think.
Probably would also be smart to only do hardware numbers. I think they've said in the past that although we care about them, generally it's the software numbers that subscribers care about more. I'll miss the software numbers, though.

edit: right, only Nintendo still has the courage not to combine systems together to make the numbers look more impressive
or maybe because doing so wouldn't help anyway

Yeah it's going to be kind of annoying to read through MS's and Sony's Financials

Maybe at some point Sony will separate PS3 and PS4 but I doubt it would be this early in the gen.

Probably would also be smart to only do hardware numbers. I think they've said in the past that although we care about them, generally it's the software numbers that subscribers care about more. I'll miss the software numbers, though.

Yeah that's probably true. I guess we leave it up to the leakers to decide what they can and can't give us like always :\

donny2112

See the case of CBOAT.

You apparently don't follow CBOAT's history. He went silent for years, came back with his usual way of talking about inside info, got banned for it since the mod didn't know who he was b/c it had been so long since he was active, and it took people from back then who remembered him to get him unbanned. So, cs/a should go silent for years after looking at the case of CBOAT?
;P

That, plus moving the thread to either the Community or Sales-Age forums after a week or so (but before any leaks happen), would probably minimize the visibility for lurkers, but the question is will that be enough to satisfy NPD?

Square2015

Okay guys on a much needed brighter note, let's take a look back at what we were buying this time previous generations...
dS3mCGI.png

[click to enlarge]
The second-year September [non-launch] tends to be a critical one for consoles historically as it sets the stage for Christmas and the next year [its third year] which typically is a slight downer over the all-mighty first two years, at least for Nintendo.
This is the month Mortal Kombat was released [21 years ago] and which dealt that notorious blow to NoA and propelled Sega ahead.

Last Gen:
SEPT 2008
Wii domination continued, nearly 700k sold, an all-time record, and with it sales of the recently released Wii Fit jump to 520k sold (#2) and Mario Kart Wii breaks 3m after just six months. Wii Play is still in the top ten with 6.9m total. Smash Bros. BRAWL fell out of the top 20, about 3.6m had been sold and this after only 7 months. New release this month: Star Wars: The Force Unleased, a non-exclusive, debuting with 220k (#9), while the 360 version is #1 for the month (610k sold). In HW The Wii doubled its nearest competition, the 360, this month. Wii is set to break records this Holiday if NCL can produce enough of them, no Thanksgiving-week killer title needed.

SEPT 2003:
The notorious $99 price drop for Gamecube takes effect. Sales surpass XB for the month- "finally", many gaffers were saying. But can GC compete with Microsoft's annual holiday bundle!? Last Christmas GC failed to do that even with Metroid Prime, RE Zero, and the platinum Cube.

This month's top seller, Soul Calibur II [Link!], fell behind the PS2 version selling 140k (#5) to a total of 320k, still ahead of PS2's SCII LTD at 280k. Nintendo comeback time continues ;)
Sega/Nintendo's F-Zero GX lacks luster. In its second month 51k sell. LTD at merely 120k, doesn't bode well for future NIntendo IPs developed by Sega despite the rave reviews the game is receiving.
No other significant releases except for Wrestlemania XIX with a 90k debut.
BUT just you wait til...
Rogue Leader, Kirby AirRide, and Viewtiful Joe next month! Plus we got Mario Kart: DD!! and Mario Party 5 on their way!

SEPT 1998:
Hype season for Zelda 64 builds however PSX pulls further ahead. It continues to become clear PSX may win this generation despite the N64's explosive first year, PSX has already won Japan and if Zelda can't turn the tide what's will be left to cross out on the chalkboard?
Late-last month's nationwide price drops for both N64 and PSX get gamers out of the summer sun and inside ready for some 1998 gaming :p PSX nearly doubled N64 this month (520k to 260k respectively) as the 60:40 war is becoming more lopsided in favor of Sony. Can Zelda 64 save us!?
The N64 speeds past the 8m barrier this month, PSX LTD is now between 10m and 11m.

After a full year, GoldenEye is the top Nintendo seller this month (#4) with 200k sold, 2.6m LTD! One of the fastest selling games ever (as of '98). The giant summer release, Banjo-Kazooie had a great fourth month with 120k sold nearing 800k. Wrestling was still the rage and last month's WWF War Zone approaches 400k. The late summer release, Mission:Impossible, has done very well with 250k sold already. Waialae Country Club stops short at 150k and the spring release, 1080* Snowboarding nears 650k, Yoshi's Story falls out of the top 50 with a little over 700k sold.

SEPT 1993:
Mortal Kombat month, reports suggest 3:1 or even 4:1 sales gap between the GEN and SNES versions. Possibly 3m between the two console and GB/Game Gear sell in this month alone.
There are estimates to suggest 1.8m sold on GEN and 0.6m on SNES, it's not known how much of an increase Genesis saw but according to NPD, Genesis outsold SNES EVERY month this year through August.
Sega just announced they shipped ONE MILLION of the new Genesis 2 consoles this month alone! in anticipation for the biggest Christmas in gaming history no doubt and an incredible line-up from Sega [see my last month's post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130360538&postcount=2855[/url]. I'm sorry Nintendo but you just do not have the line-up or the hype like Sega does this year. NoA has already flipped out and is madly running commercials promoting its recently announced Super Mario All-Stars promo to counter Sega fever. Get it free in the mail with a Super Set through Christmas! Five Mario games in one!

donny2112

That, plus moving the thread to either the Community or Sales-Age forums after a week or so (but before any leaks happen), would probably minimize the visibility for lurkers,

We can't post in the Sales-Age forums. Maybe if there was a members-only visible forum we could still post in (not the Gaming forum) + Aqua's suggested system...

but the question is will that be enough to satisfy NPD?

Pretty sure NPD wants nothing less than for there to be no leaks whatsoever.

allan-bh

You apparently don't follow CBOAT's history. He went silent for years, came back with his usual way of talking about inside info, got banned for it since the mod didn't know who he was b/c it had been so long since he was active, and it took people from back then who remembered him to get him unbanned. So, cs/a should go silent for years after looking at the case of CBOAT?
;P

I believe CBOAT provided wrong info about Titanfall textures on Xbox One and was banned, no?

Even with Respawn saying that was not true, he insists.

Anth0ny

As of September 2014, Wii U sells for $299.

At the same point in Gamecube's life, it received a price drop to $99. And it was doing way better than Wii U in every way imaginable.

I'm baffled that the thing isn't cheaper yet. I'm sure it'll get some solid Black Friday bundles, but this thing should be $199 MSRP at this point. At LEAST $249.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I believe CBOAT provided wrong info about Titanfall textures on Xbox One and was banned, no?

Even with Respawn saying that was not true, he insists.
And he took his lumps for that. That still doesn't negate the years of inside info he has provided including things particular to the next gen systems. Also, why hasn't EviLore just requested a report and then GAF raise money to pay for it?

StevieP

Banned

At the same point in Gamecube's life, it received a price drop to $99. And it was doing way better than Wii U in every way imaginable.

I'm baffled that the thing isn't cheaper yet. I'm sure it'll get some solid Black Friday bundles, but this thing should be $199 MSRP at this point. At LEAST $249.

Consoles can't be made that cheaply anymore nor can they be cost reduced that far as to still remain profitable. Speaking of profitable, reducing the wii u to 200 would put it firmly into taking a loss again. That's not how the company wants to operate.

Mikey Jr.

Reading the thread, it's hard not to think that if Aqua was under that much stress / pressure and Cream was about to lose his source then we were nearing the end of the age of NPD leaks no matter what we would have done to hide the data.

The only shame is that we've lost a good poster (great poster, actually) for a while because of it. Made me laugh that it happened at the same time as Cream losing his source because I always personally suspected that Aqua and Cream were the same person, despite having no real reason to believe it. I'm sure mods would know if that was the case and stop it / disclose it, but it was always a suspicion I had, and now we've lost both at the same time. I mean - has anyone ever seen them in the same room? j/k

I appreciated Aqua's valiant attempts to hide the data and keep the party bumping but from the outset it was clear it wasn't going to work as certain users were pulling quotes out of the email field and sharing them immediately. I can't imagine how you'd stop that happening, or educate all Gaffers at once as to both the new system of posting data and the fact that discussing the actual numbers isn't acceptable. We get new users coming in every month screwing it up, as well as stubborn people being difficult (as we regrettably saw in this thread). In truth, once the numbers are on Gaf in any form they are essentially public, as hard as that is to take.

I'm sure we'll get numbers anyway from somewhere else, be it working things out from PR percentage figures compared with past data or a new source. We'll be fine. I'll actually miss Aqua more because no one was faster with an answer to sales data queries in random threads. She must have a hell of a database or be a wizard with thread searching. As for Cream, I just hope he didn't get in any trouble. I enjoyed his style of posting and figuring out the unlabelled pie charts.

I also think that sales threads are a lot less interesting now than they were last year, because as far as I'm concerned the trajectories of console hardware for this generation are pretty well set at this point. It'd take something unprecedented to knock them off their current courses. The software stuff is always interesting, but when we were in the middle of finding out who was going to take the reins of the generation or just how badly the WiiU might flop, that was when things were properly intense. Anyway, thanks to everyone who posts and makes these threads fun.

I honestly think the NPD should be moved to a members only forum. Allow non members to see the first post with all the info, but thats it.

We can't post in the Sales-Age forums. Maybe if there was a members-only visible forum we could still post in (not the Gaming forum) + Aqua's suggested system...

Pretty sure NPD wants nothing less than for there to be no leaks whatsoever.

I think (and I could be wrong) if they really wanted to stop the leaks, they could do so even without finding out the identity of GAF leakers fairly quickly. It's just that in the past, they were willing to be fairly lenient about coming down on GAF (and/or whomever is doing the leaking), and over the past couple months that position has changed. Whether it's changed to the point of "no leaks period" or "at least wait until a week or two after we release the reports" is something that we can't know unless NPD contacts the leakers or GAF directly.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I honestly think the NPD should be moved to a members only forum. Allow non members to see the first post with all the info, but thats it.

That would work minimally, but you would still have asshat members including journalists go into the forum and spread it around. In reality, there is no way to ensure that the leaks we would have gotten wouldn't in some form or way get leaked out to GAF in the end. I just wish GAF wasn't populated by idiot manchildren taking advantage of Cream and Aqua's kindness and ruining it for those legitimately interested in the financials.

I just wish GAF wasn't populated by idiot manchildren taking advantage of Cream and Aqua's kindness and ruining it for those legitimately interested in the financials.

Yea, the NPD research and discussion would remain healthy and well detailed if we didn't have some members lurking to post numbers on their websites or just spreading it to other forums.

I knew right off the bat the stealth leaks wouldn't work because we have members from the press and just general childish behavior that will ruin it. Gaf is well maintained, but we are still doing this through a internet forum.

Well, definitely I don't mind waiting. The important is continue to know some data. Without it, sales talk is finished.

Yup, heck, we could just wait a week to make sure all is clear and then not update the title of the thread, that way it won't be full of people who have no actual interest in the conversation

Cornbread78

creamsugar lost his NPD source, Aquamarine requested a 3 month ban to cool down and NPD fun is over.

That's the official line, but if you know the secret... I have one more info for you... I have one more info for you

Again, this is why we can't have nice things.. I really appreciated it when we got those numbers. However now because there are a few entitled GAFers that wanted to be dicks and not just run with the program she was trying to set up, we all get screwed..

allan-bh

Again, this is why we can't have nice things.. I really appreciate it when we get those numbers. However now because there are a few entitled GAFers that wanted to be dicks and not just run with the program she was trying to set up, we all get screwed..

I'm pretty sure that Aqua will return to the party. She loves it.

She just need a little time out.

I mean, that sort of thinking presupposes that Nintendo desire marketshare more than they do profitability.

If they weren't slowly burning through their launch stock and reaping production economies of scale, or were selling a lot more software than they apparently are to their userbase, they would probably be able to be more flexible on retail pricing.

As it is, it looks like they are focussing on being profitable at the expense of marketshare, and attempting to add value through their software lineup rather than by price cuts.

What did they provide for us?
I thought NPD numbers were officially published.

The only thing NPD officially provided was the chart of the top 10 selling games with platform rankings for the month. The only info we got on systems was from the occasional PR from Sony/MS/Nintendo which isn't guaranteed and often very vague. If we didn't get a PR from the big 3 or a publisher, we would get no exact info on the sales of the systems, or any actual numbers on the software sales.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well at least we'll still get earning reports for hardware numbers. Nintendo and Microsoft gives you all the data you'd need, and with PS3 and Vita practically dead, it's not hard to figure out a ballpark from Sony's combined numbers.

Just have to wait a bit longer to get numbers at the end of every January, April, July, and October.

prag16

Banned
Again, this is why we can't have nice things.. I really appreciated it when we got those numbers. However now because there are a few entitled GAFers that wanted to be dicks and not just run with the program she was trying to set up, we all get screwed..

I'm surprised she let such a small group of posters get to her so much. Though one of them in particular was extremely relentless. Between that and all NPD related shenanigans in recent months, I'm sure it was exhausting to deal with. THREE MONTHS? That's a long time. I hope she comes back refreshed and rejuvenated.

I hope you all are ready for October's NPD.

I'll be sure to provide everyone with the fantastic results of Sunset Overdrive, the recovery of Forza Horizon 2 from a slow start to becoming one of the best selling titles of the month, Xbox One's first win since December last year, and the Wii U's descent to falling behind even the Playstation Vita.

Bright times ahead.
That can't be true, the PS4 has an OS update coming soony.

Well at least we'll still get earning reports for hardware numbers. Nintendo and Microsoft gives you all the data you'd need, and with PS3 and Vita practically dead, it's not hard to figure out a ballpark from Sony's combined numbers.

Just have to wait a bit longer to get numbers at the end of every January, April, July, and October.

Microsoft combined 360 and XB1 shipments last quarterly report. I highly doubt they will break them out this upcoming report. Nintendo should be interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom