• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

I actually think we'll see a slim PS4 for $300 next year. Alongside (hopefully) GT and Horizon with further Star Wars marketing and potentially a next gen only Destiny I think it should easily top this year.

Javin98

Banned
All is possible.
I personally expect PS4 peak in 2016, but i don't think will be much bigger than 2015, because i think the sales will be bigger for the firsts months, but then, i don't think the holidays sales will be at 2015 level.

PS4 has a pricedrop and the marketing of COD and Star Wars this holidays, which are gonna be HUGE.
Is hard to say now, since we don't know what will be the PS4 holidays line up next year, but as for now, i don't think will be bigger than this year.
I expect PS4 to sell 7.8 million this quarter, probabily 7.2-7.5 million next year.

Then, after 2016, well, nothing to say, since i believe will be the peak year the sales will drop until PS5 release.
I get what you mean, the truth is there are so many variables now that can result in an increase or decline in sales over the next few years. But for me, unless we see a significant decline in sales and PSVR not being successful and just another gimmick, I'm gonna keep my prediction of 120 million PS4's sold before it is discontinued. Also, I think 2017 will be bigger than 2015 sales wise because we might see a Slim revision next year or in 2017, so that will probably increase sales quite a bit.

sphinx

the piano man
regarding when a console peaks, doesn't software determine that?

does that imply that PS4 seeing a strong decline by 2017 means there won't be key software to spur sales from that point on and that in Q4 2016 at the latest, all main software people want for it be already be released with everything else being gravy?

honest question, I'm curious.

I get what you mean, the truth is there are so many variables now that can result in an increase or decline in sales over the next few years. But for me, unless we see a significant decline in sales and PSVR not being successful and just another gimmick, I'm gonna keep my prediction of 120 million PS4's sold before it is discontinued. Also, I think 2017 will be bigger than 2015 sales wise because we might see a Slim revision next year or in 2017, so that will probably increase sales quite a bit.
Thing with PSVR is that does most potential customers already have PS4 or will it be for those who aren't interested gaming with current hardware yet?

EGM1966

regarding when a console peaks, doesn't software determine that?

does that imply that PS4 seeing a strong decline by 2017 means there won't be key software to spur sales from that point on and that in Q4 2016 at the latest, all main software people want for it be already be released with everything else being gravy?

honest question, I'm curious.
If your talking the console itself then peak is normally year the console sells the most units I'd have thought. It might peak in terms of software on a different year.

blakep267

Thing with PSVR is that does most potential customers already have PS4 or will it be for those who aren't interested gaming with current hardware yet?
That would depend on price. Ex. If your asking people to shell out $350 for the console and $300-350 for the headset, that's just not gonna happen

It'll probably attract a niche portion of the existing ps4 userbase

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Another fact which i didn't mention is the decline of the main multiplatform games.
As we know, games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, and others games which were very huge last gen, are in decline. And i think this drop of those main series of last gen will hurt PS4 and XB1 sales... for example, i really can't see COD so strong in 2017 / 2018.
It will still sell millions and millions, but not as much as now.

But like i said, we will see. All is possible.

Javin98

Banned
Yep, this remains to be seen, but I bet if PSVR were big enough, the casuals would buy a PS4 just for it.

Another fact which i didn't mention is the decline of the main multiplatform games.
As we know, games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, and others games which were very huge last gen, are in decline. And i think this drop of those main series of last gen will hurt PS4 and XB1 sales... for example, i really can't see COD so strong in 2017 / 2018.
It will still sell millions and millions, but not as much as now.

But like i said, we will see. All is possible.
Yeah, this is another factor to consider. However, other multiplatform IP's like Titanfall and Destiny could take their place. I'm just saying.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yep, this remains to be seen, but I bet if PSVR were big enough, the casuals would buy a PS4 just for it.

The price needs to be right. If it plus the system ends up being $600 or more then I just can't see it taking off with the mainstream audience.

Yeah, this is another factor to consider. However, other multiplatform IP's like Titanfall and Destiny could take their place. I'm just saying.

Every gen there are popular series from the previous gen that start to fade away and be replaced. I definitely think that Destiny and Titanfall will be series that are looked back upon near the end of this current gen in a similar way that people looked back at COD last gen.

Javin98

Banned
The price needs to be right. If it plus the system ends up being $600 or more then I just can't see it taking off with the mainstream audience.

Every gen there are popular series from the previous gen that start to fade away an be replaced. I definitely think that Destiny and Titanfall will be series that are looked back upon near the end of this current gen in a similar way that people looked back at COD last gen.
About the PSVR, yep, I agree. I can see the headset being $249 but Sony will bundle a PS4 and a PSVR headset for $549 when it launches, I think. Also, the experience has to be absolutely game changing and immersive for the causals to gain interest. As for Destiny and Titanfall, that's what I meant.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

True. But i don't think will happen. As we know, games like AC, FIFA, and COD, are continued to increase years after years.
AC peaked in 2012, FIFA peaked in 2012, and COD in 2011. ( at least launch, dunno about LT sales).

I don't think will happen again. Titanfall 2 will probabily sell more than Titanfall, but only because the PS4 version. The game is death in the others platform, and i don't think will be bigger on XBOX. Maybe, just maybe, a bit bigger, but only because XB1 will be at >20 million userbase compared to the < 5 million of March 2014, and who will buy Titanfall already has a XB1.

Destiny, and Watch Dogs... eh, i don't know. The lauch of those games was pretty strong.
Destiny sold 6.3 million worldwide in September 2014, nearly 3 million only in the US, and Watch Dogs around 4 million first week.
After many bad reviews, and the huge hype of the launch... i think those games have already peaked.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like Halo bundle launch it couldn't manage to sell more than UCC bundle at Amazon.

True. But i don't think will happen. As we know, games like AC, FIFA, and COD, are continued to increase years after years.
AC peaked in 2012, FIFA peaked in 2012, and COD in 2011. ( at least launch, dunno about LT sales).

I don't think will happen again. Titanfall 2 will probabily sell more than Titanfall, but only because the PS4 version. The game is death in the others platform, and i don't think will be bigger on XBOX. Maybe, just maybe, a bit bigger, but only because XB1 will be at >20 million userbase compared to the < 5 million of March 2014, and who will buy Titanfall already has a XB1.

Destiny, and Watch Dogs... eh, i don't know. The lauch of those games was pretty strong.
Destiny sold 6.3 million worldwide in September 2014, nearly 3 million only in the US, and Watch Dogs around 4 million first week.
After many bad reviews, and the huge hype of the launch... i think those games have already peaked.
I don't think Destiny peaked yet... TTK launch was even bigger than Destiny vanilla.
In UK the games sells over 8k per week yet.

Elandyll

Banned
Amazon monthly has updated after more than a week without a refresh.

October NPD is going to be Mightily Interesting (tm), whichever way it ends up going imo :)

#23: XB1 Halo 5 Bundle
#25: PS4 UC Collection Bundle
#28: PS4 Battlefront LE bundle - November
#38: PS4 TLOU Bundle
#46: PS4 TTK Bundle
#51: PS4 COD Bundle - November
#99: XB1 GeoW Bundle

Looks like the 5 days the XB1 took the top spot (on the hourly) pushed it ahead, but it has been over since Sunday now.

Interesting indeed ... :)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
So far Uncharted bundle is doing better than Halo bundle in the hourly, so, unless a final comeback, Uncharted bundle is gonna be first for the monthly.
They will be pretty close too.

The problem is that XB1 Halo bundle has a lot of pre orders from August... hard month to predict.

AniHawk

About the PSVR, yep, I agree. I can see the headset being $249 but Sony will bundle a PS4 and a PSVR headset for $549 when it launches, I think. Also, the experience has to be absolutely game changing and immersive for the causals to gain interest. As for Destiny and Titanfall, that's what I meant.

i think the mistake is assuming that 'casuals' are people who like any sort of 'gimmick'

instead of considering the past success of the ds, wii, and kinect based on 'gimmicks', instead consider the ease of use and affordability. a casual gamer is someone who simply plays a video game when they're bored or maybe a couple of times a year with a friend. they're not the traditional enthusiast market or the mainstream market, generally. if something is quick to understand, and relatively inexpensive, then it's probably worth checking out. a dance game, a fitness game, a sports game, or a brain training game could all fit into those molds. with mobile, you don't even need to have to buy the console or individual physical copies of software - you can just have those experiences on a device you already own.

the ps vr may retail for $199.99. by the time it's out, sony may be able to bundle it with the ps3 for $499.99. is that a low enough price for a mass market? is it enough of an impulse buy like the kinect, wii, or ds in the last decade? part of it will be software too - what experiences are there that will make it more than a one-off novelty like the 3ds? can people who play games mostly on mobile devices be able to comprehend the dual shock layout?

i think sony's better chance at improving late ps4 sales will be revisions of the ps4 itself, maybe in the new 3ds sense too. as it stands i feel like ps vr is going to more or less be sony's sega cd, which is an important step forward into making this a big part of dedicated gaming. it needs to be the focus of the console though, where software is developed specifically for it from major studios.

Ancedotal info
Lady at my local gamestop said Halo 5 had ~80 preorders.
For comparison, she said that Cod had ~200, and Fallout had ~120 (across all platforms).

Just thought it was interesting enough to share even though I don't think we could pull any reliable projections from it.

Boke1879

looks like people are going to be reminded just how big Halo actually is...

Halo will always be a big software mover. I really hope no one denies that. I'm curious as to how much hardware it'll help move. Halo 3 helped push over 500k console the month it launched. I'm wondering if Halo 5 can do that. I doubt it but we'll see.

I don't think (or at least I hope) anyone actually thinks Halo is not big.

But how much hardware will it move is the more pertinent question. It'll be interesting to see where the brand is with all the changes that it has undergone.

donny2112

I still think it'll be less than Halo 1-4's opening months, but 2+ million is an easy guess. 3+ million in the first month (really week) is where it's iffy, even with digital.

RexNovis

Banned
I am very curious to see what sort of effect the other big FPSes releasing this year have on Halo's population. Will it be a short decrease on their release or will the numbers slowly bleed out never to return? I suppose the drip feed of new content 343i is planning might help bring players back into the fold following other big releases but I doubt seriously that Halo will weather this storm of Black Ops and Battlefront without any population impact.

That said, XB1 will probably edge it out this month. The win will likely be tight (less than 50k) considering the sales gap last holiday but it will be a win. Despite, in all likelihood, selling less systems on release than previous entries Halo certainly seems to have pulled it weight in the hardware sales department. I will admit that it far exceeded my expectations. I definitely underestimated the continued strength of the Halo brand in the states. Clearly the recent debacles with the franchise have done much less to diminish the fervor that fans have for the series than I personally felt it had. I suppose my impressions could still end up being true if the game proves to have the shorter legs of its predecessor but, for whatever reason, that seems unlikely to me at this point.

Rymuth

Pachter predicts the holidays will be very close but leans towards Sony taking it.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it - Microsoft wins by a large margin.

Chobel

I say XBO will win with at least 100K difference (October NPD). Halo 5 is just too big and I doubt a $50 price cut is gonna increase the sales of PS4 that much. Plus many people will wait for the good PS4 bundles (SWBF bundles).

Pachter predicts the holidays will be very close but leans towards Sony taking it.

He probably doesn't know MS will cut the price by $50 this Holiday, so yeah MS will win and it won't be close.

RexNovis

Banned

The whole holiday season? Or do you just mean October?

Edit: Oh nvm durrr the old Opposite of Pachter meme. Man I need to sleep. Damn PGW for keeping me up last night.

Fat4all

Banned

giphy.gif

Conduit

Banned
Amazon monthly has updated after more than a week without a refresh.

October NPD is going to be Mightily Interesting (tm), whichever way it ends up going imo :)

#23: XB1 Halo 5 Bundle
#25: PS4 UC Collection Bundle
#28: PS4 Battlefront LE bundle - November
#38: PS4 TLOU Bundle
#46: PS4 TTK Bundle
#51: PS4 COD Bundle - November
#99: XB1 GeoW Bundle

Looks like the 5 days the XB1 took the top spot (on the hourly) pushed it ahead, but it has been over since Sunday now.

Interesting indeed ... :)

Probably there will be the update one more time before next NPD prediction thread.

onQ123

Posted?

PS4 console sales now 'well over 25 million'

PS4 console sales now stand at "well over 25 million", SCE Worldwide Studios VP Michael Denny has revealed.

Denny's comments follow three months after Sony announced that PS4 had crossed the 25m milestone, although the platform holder has remained quiet on providing an updated figure since.

"I don't think there's a better time to buy into PlayStation - PS4 particularly," Denny told GamesIndustry.biz at Paris Games Week. "Our installed base now is well over 25 million. That gives us a massive community of gamers, supported by a lot of new community features. We've got great games out there, more coming through. We're looking forward to 2016, it's an exciting time."

Sony officially knocked £50 off the price of PS4 last week, dropping the price of a 500GB console to £299.99. It also has plans to launch a new range of limited edition consoles with Black Ops 3 and Star Wars Battlefront next month. The company expects to sell 16.5m PS4 consoles between April 2015-March 2016.

Microsoft, meanwhile, hasn't provided an update on Xbox One sales figures since November 2014, when it revealed the console had shipped almost 10 million units. Last week, the firm reportedly told Game Informer that it would not be using console shipments as its primary metric for success going forward, instead focusing on Xbox Live engagement.

The head of Xbox also admitted that he didn't know whether Microsoft could overtake Sony this generation, acknowledging that "they have a huge lead and they have a good product" in an interview posted earlier this month.

allan-bh

I still think it'll be less than Halo 1-4's opening months, but 2+ million is an easy guess. 3+ million in the first month (really week) is where it's iffy, even with digital.

In just 5 days I think that definitely will miss the 3m mark on NPD and probably will miss including digital too.

In the next monthly update the uncharted bundle will be ahead of the Halo bundle. Also two there are two more bundles in the top 100 for PS4. I think the desicion to not make a 350 dollars halo bundle hurt MS in the long run. I still think Sony takes the month but it will interesting to see if MS does indeed drop the price if Sony will just simply introduce a 300 vanilla PS4 to counter.

Tubie

The hourly has been something like this for the past 24 hours:

#10 PS4 UC Bundle
#21 XB1 Halo 5 Bundle
#22 PS4 LE Star Wars Bundle
#23 PS4 LE Call of Duty Bundle
#58 PS4 Star Wars Bundle
#61 XB1 Gears of War Bundle
#69 XB1 Madden Bundle
#73 XB1 Forza 6 Bundle
#86 PS4 Non-Bundle (wtf?)

Out of those only the UC Bundle counts for PS4 for October. It's gonna be very close imo.

As far as November, I only see those Star Wars bundles and even that CoD bundle just selling at insane rates the closer we get to their respective release dates. Xbox would need a price cut to compete imo.

allan-bh

As far as November, I only see those Star Wars bundles and even that CoD bundle just selling at insane rates the closer we get to their respective release dates. Xbox would need a price cut to compete imo.

I don't think CoD bundle will have insane sales because it's $429. Star Wars standard bundle will lead and should have crazy sales like Xbox One AC bundle last year.

Top Bottom