• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

Well, i cut it into really thin strips and deep fried it, and they came out terrific, other then the fact that they stuck together bigtime, and also curled up and didnt keep shape. I then made them into small cubes, dumped them in the deep fryer, and bam! Perfect. Crispy, tasteless little cubes. I put them in a 2 bags, one with cinnamon and splenda, the other with parm garlic sauce. Both came out amazing. Having something so low carb and so crispy is really a treat, crispy is missing in a lot of keto foods.

It's a nice alternative if i ever feel like i need a snack.
Hush brown tofu
Going to try it tonight

Anybody have experience with "ricing" cauliflower?

I don't have a food processor so going to have to go with a cheese grater haha.

I want to make fried fried but with cauliflower to avoid all the carbs.

Girlfriend makes a lot of good cauliflower recipes. Use a blender. Much easier.

- Cauliflower crust pizza
- Cauliflower fried rice
- Cauliflower mac and cheese
- Cauliflower mashed potatoes

No carbs and tastes like the real thing. I've dropped 18 pounds since January 4th.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Just completed the Chicken Parmesan from the protein chef recipe/website. It was not as good as the meatloaf but it was still damn good.

Azulsky

Alright I think the lack of carbs on workout days is starting to make the time in the gym more of a waste. By the 3rd exercise I was practically dead today and deloading on everything.

Time to go buy some brown rice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I think the lack of carbs on workout days is starting to make the time in the gym more of a waste. By the 3rd exercise I was practically dead today and deloading on everything.

Time to go buy some brown rice.

What's going to be the excuse when you have the occasional low energy day despite eating carbs?

Azulsky

What's going to be the excuse when you have the occasional low energy day despite eating carbs?

Low quality of sleep.

Gonna try adding some carbs in on days I am working out. See how it goes for a few weeks. Experiment a bit. Bought some brown rice and sweet potatoes.

Irobot82

Bish,

With your keto cake you said you used powdered stevia. Is that the pure extract? The stevia I have says to use 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of sugar.

ILoveBish

Bish,

With your keto cake you said you used powdered stevia. Is that the pure extract? The stevia I have says to use 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of sugar.

The one I used is trader joes powdered stevia. I've since stopped using it and switched to liquid sucralose, just to experiment. What is wrong with the one you have?

Irobot82

The one I used is trader joes powdered stevia. I've since stopped using it and switched to liquid sucralose, just to experiment. What is wrong with the one you have?

This is what I used

So the cake was super bitter at first then it had a very strong artificial sweetener taste. The first bitter taste was like overbearing cocoa flavor I think. I'm not sure if I didn't use enough stevia or if I just don't like stevia. I was thinking of trying the granulated splenda.

ILoveBish

This is what I used

So the cake was super bitter at first then it had a very strong artificial sweetener taste. The first bitter taste was like overbearing cocoa flavor I think. I'm not sure if I didn't use enough stevia or if I just don't like stevia. I was thinking of trying the granulated splenda.

That stuff looks a lot stronger then what I used. But what I would do is try it with coffee or tea and see if you like the flavor. Some people just don't like stevia.

Splensa is fine but adds a bit of carbs.

Irobot82

That stuff looks a lot stronger then what I used. But what I would do is try it with coffee or tea and see if you like the flavor. Some people just don't like stevia.

Splensa is fine but adds a bit of carbs.

It could be the stevia. I'm going to try again without the coffee extract. Maybe just at touch of vanilla. Thanks for the advice!

So, what's the real word on almonds and if they are healthy?

I have an uncle who has run a pecan company since I was born and he has always been on about the health benefits of nuts. I've also heard that 1oz of almonds a day a great for you...

It's not way I started eating them. I like them and it's a great small snack for when you are super hungry. So my new diet right now starts with 2oz of raw almonds in the morning for about 350calories. I like it and I don't get hungry again before lunch.

A few days ago my mother went off and said I was killing myself and my cholesterol was probably high (it isn't)

ILoveBish

It could be the stevia. I'm going to try again without the coffee extract. Maybe just at touch of vanilla. Thanks for the advice!

Sounds good. I'm literally eating the cake as we speak, so good.

I have a new recipe for brownies using chia seeds. Tried it out yesterday and it blew my mind. Like a hot fudge volcano brownie. Except it's low carb.

Azulsky

So, what's the real word on almonds and if they are healthy?

I have an uncle who has run a pecan company since I was born and he has always been on about the health benefits of nuts. I've also heard that 1oz of almonds a day a great for you...

It's not way I started eating them. I like them and it's a great small snack for when you are super hungry. So my new diet right now starts with 2oz of raw almonds in the morning for about 350calories. I like it and I don't get hungry again before lunch.

A few days ago my mother went off and said I was killing myself and my cholesterol was probably high (it isn't)

Monounsaturated fat is a safe fat. Poly's need to be eaten in balance and saturated either is okay or perfect depending on your cult.

Nuts are mostly monounsaturated. I eat almonds semi-often, they are tasty and help me meet my fat macro goals.

Monounsaturated fat is a safe fat. Poly's need to be eaten in balance and saturated either is okay or perfect depending on your cult.

Nuts are mostly monounsaturated. I eat almonds semi-often, they are tasty and help me meet my fat macro goals.

Sounds good. Now I just need to stay on this diet. I'm eating way less so it's a pain but I'm a week in and I'm used to it now. The really hard part is getting offered food and still finding some room to drink a bit because I need to have a beer when I play pinball.

Thanks,

Sadetar

Sounds good. I'm literally eating the cake as we speak, so good.

I have a new recipe for brownies using chia seeds. Tried it out yesterday and it blew my mind. Like a hot fudge volcano brownie. Except it's low carb.
I am begging to have this recipe! I love brownies and I have loads of chia seeds. :p Pretty please.

Irobot82

OK I just used the stevia in my coffee. It's a bit stronger aftertaste than splenda but not awful. So that leaves me two thoughts.

1. The 1/2 C of cocoa powder was too bitter
2. Coffee extract was too bitter.

ILoveBish

OK I just used the stevia in my coffee. It's a bit stronger aftertaste than splenda but not awful. So that leaves me two thoughts.

1. The 1/2 C of cocoa powder was too bitter
2. Coffee extract was too bitter.

I use almond extract, never tried it with the coffee extract.

Servbot24

Banned
Do you guys have recommendations for good shakes? The current one I make is tasty but probably has way too much sugar:

Spinach
Banana
Pineapple
Grapes
Protein Powder

I am currently fairly content with my fitness, but I would like to get more defined abs, so I'm guessing I need to get away from all that sugar.

Sadetar

I should be getting everything I need but yet my nails just break constantly. Also the back pain is bothering me again.

My friend asked me to try out Opti MSM. I haven't never even heard of it before but she gave me little to test it. Is anyone in here using it or even know what it is?

Irobot82

I use almond extract, never tried it with the coffee extract.

I was looking at liquid sucralose and I realized something. When people use sugar in baking goods, it affects the structure of the cake. So when there is no sugar there is less mass and whatnot, so does your cakes structure and texture come out different since you are using a liquid sweetener?

ILoveBish

So lots of changes in my diet are going to happen soon. I love my chicken pasta meal i have now, but i'm going to eat the last of it i have now, and switch to a new dish. The new one is Stir Fry using cauliflower rice. I did a test run and it was a huge hit. I'm also going to make more adjustments to my cake recipe i'll share soon. In addition, i made a chia seed brownie that was incredible, but i'm going to tweak it a bit this weekend and come up with my own spin on it. Also a Coconut Macaroon cake that came out AMAZING, but will need to tally it up to see if its feesable. Oh, and just for experimentation, the new meal plan is dairy free. No specific reason at all, i just want to try it since my meal wont revolve around cheese anymore.

I was looking at liquid sucralose and I realized something. When people use sugar in baking goods, it affects the structure of the cake. So when there is no sugar there is less mass and whatnot, so does your cakes structure and texture come out different since you are using a liquid sweetener?

Absolutely. But when dealing with low carb recipes in the first place, texture is always different then normal flour. Its different. But i honestly enjoy how the stuff comes out so no issues on my end. End result is the macros and food i can eat all the time, and its beyond reasonable result wise.

Oh and all the vitamix pictures have gotten to me, thinking of picking up a refurb next time they're on sale.

Have you got the recipe for that new cake you mentioned in the Fitness thread ILB?

Edit - Should have looked there first. :)

I threw away some of the containers already LOL, so i dont have exact. But rough around the edges:

12oz bobs red mill unsweetened shredded coconut
8 egg whites
19oz can coconut cream
4 tablespoons almond flour/meal
sweetner of choice (i used a lil bit of liquid sucralose from walmart squeezable)

Blend it all together, bake @ 350 and check when done with toothpick, then put on broiler and crisp the top of it. Here is a pic of the finished product. Each square is ~~230 calories and 4g net carbs (sliced into 16 pieces, the pictures show it cut into 24 piece size).

dumus5L.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I remade this recipe tonight and it came out very different. Used different coconut flakes and got my egg whites from actual eggs and it was a bit thicker. Still delicious.

https://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ

Really good ted talk on carbs, really worth the watch.

Good stuff. Really shows just how completely insane the conventional treatment is for type II diabetes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Keeping people sick but alive is where the money is at. Several industries all working together to keep you as you are. Truly insane.

What's insane about it to me as that there are medical professionals actively taking part in it. I find it hard to believe that with the knowledge of the mechanism that causes diabetes, they are all happy to continue taking part in keeping their patients sick and medicated. It can't just be ignorance, though, can it?

ILoveBish

What's insane about it to me as that there are medical professionals actively taking part in it. I find it hard to believe that with the knowledge of the mechanism that causes diabetes, they are all happy to continue taking part in keeping their patients sick and medicated. It can't just be ignorance, though, can it?

I honestly think a lot of them mean well but just don't realize what they're doing. There is a lot of money involved to let you stay as is, paid studies by these same people. The companies banking will put out false info that is skewed to show that keeping you sick is the best way to go and the doctors tell you that.

It's really crazy.

Barrage

My main issue right now (besides continuing to motivate myself to hit the gym) is to reach the 1G of Protein per day goal.

I weigh about 210, and it just seems like such a daunting goal.

An example of a day of food (now that i'm eating healthier):

Protein Shake (Almond Milk+ Greek Yogurt+Frozen Fruit+1 Scoop Whey Protein)=?? Calories, 20G Protein

6-inch Chicken Breast Sub=(320 Calories, 4.5G Fat, 23G Protein)

6-inch Chicken/SalmiSub=(450 Calories, 16G Fat, 31G Protein)

500mL Chocolate Milk=(400 Calories, 11G Fat, 16G Protein)

8 Crackers W/Peanut Butter=(300 Cal, 14G Fat, 10G Protein)

1 Bowl of Bean Medley=(375 Cal, 3G Fat, 23G Protein)

Total=1,845 Calories, 48.5G Fat, 123G Protein

How do I add 80G protein to that without spending a ton/being sickly full all the time?

(And yes,I know my diet needs a LOT of work.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. Just try to get around 100g of protein per day and adjust from there.

Azulsky

Its not hard to get protein, you are just avoiding it in most of these meals.

1 scoop of whey should have 20-25g all in itself
If you get good greek yogurt it has about 20g protein per cup.

10oz of white meat chicken is 80-90g of protein. A single Sanderson Farms chicken breast is 12oz .

I assume all this stuff you are eating is to bulk? You are going to have to deal with feeling bloated if you are trying to eat more than you need.

Yes your diet is something else.

Mimosa97

Can a diet fuck up your sleep schedule ?

I have been on a no-carb diet for almost two months now. It's been going great, only had 1 cheat day and I lost more weight than I thought I could in that time-span. I've been running almost every morning before work for 3 weeks now. It's been very hard during the first week but I found my rythm and this week I felt like I was flying. Only problem is that I haven't been sleeping all week ... The first days were okay but then the migraines started. I take one advil and they're gone and I feel good again. I really don't understand what's happening. I went on a 45 minutes run this morning and I felt fine, even though I had only slept from 5 to 8 a.m ...

I don't know what's going on. Had my blood tested on thursday and my doctor told me everything was perfect. I haven't had trouble with my sleep schedule in years and it was only because I was in college and I stayed awake at night and slept during the day. Nothing to do with my health.

I think I'm going to need one more month of dieting to hit my ultimate goal. I want to feel great during the summer. I don't want to stop my diet right now but maybe I should.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say I've ever had such problems.

What are you eating?

Any major stress issues?

ILoveBish

My main issue with sleep is i have way too much energy. Its nuts at this point. I can do 24-36 hour stints every day without a worry but i obviously cannot since i have a normal job. So i have to sleep early and toss/turn for hours to train myself to sleep better. Its really rough honestly. Most of the time i take meletonin, or if its really bad, then an ambien. Also are you drinking enough water and getting enough sodium, potassium and magnesium? You need to check and see how much of each you're getting. If you're short on them like i was at one point, i use the Emergen-C electro mix, its like 0 or 1 carb and it has most of what you need.

despire

Cross post from the Fitness thread:

Had to go to a doctor for a check up as part of my job. Also included some lab testing for the normal stuff. Cholestherol and the rest were within the normal range. Creatinine was 97 when the normal range is 60-100 but apparently if you lift weights and eat protein your number will be higher.

One thing that was puzzling was that my blood pressure was 150/84. Apparently a bit higher than the "normal range". Don't know what to think about that.. Anyway I need to take a few more measurements during the next two weeks to see if it's right or if it was high for some other reason. Anyone got any advice to getting it down other than the normal stuff like eat less sodium?

Top Bottom