• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

Fistwell

Was traumatized by how many calories are in white bread. Used to eat mountains of the stuff.

Edit: Deep thoughts for top of the page FTFL.

Azulsky

Yeah I know why I used to overeat but the amounts still leave me a bit shocked.

I find for carbs I generally still find a whole cup of rice or quinoa to be pretty filling in the volumetric sense.

Whole grain lasts a bit longer for sure

entremet

Yeah I know why I used to overeat but the amounts still leave me a bit shocked.

I find for carbs I generally still find a whole cup of rice or quinoa to be pretty filling in the volumetric sense.

Whole grain lasts a bit longer for sure

White rice gets a bad rap. I prefer tubers since they have more nutrients, but white rice is great in a pinch.

Azulsky

I think as long as you aren't a diabetic a serving of white rice is fine.

Just given the choice brown has a better nutritional profile.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
White rice gets a bad rap. I prefer tubers since they have more nutrients, but white rice is great in a pinch.

I rarely eat carbs, but when I do, chances are it will come with a heaping portion of white rice + sweet potato mash... or just white rice. It goes so well with everything.

entremet

I think as long as you aren't a diabetic a serving of white rice is fine.

Just given the choice brown has a better nutritional profile.

They actually say parboiled is the best nutritionally. The parboiling process apparently ups the nutritional content

I'm starting to lose a little of my definition since going from 170-180/6'1. Plus, I want to limit my carb intake, like eating Ezekiel English muffins with almond butter everyday.

I'm thinking about replacing the English muffins with canned chunk lite 5 days a week, but I'm worried about mercury poison.

here's what my diet looks like:

breakfast

1 cup oatmeal with sliced bananas, chopped pecans, currents, and scoop whey protein

post gym
protein shake

2 hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese

lunch around 5-6pm

chicken breast, or salmon, or pinto beans
basmati rice, or quinoa, or sweet potato
mixed greens
fage fruit yogurt
granola bar

I eat salmon, chicken, pinto beans two days, then switch to the next and so on. Same with the grains.

couple hours later I eat the English muffin almond butter.

come home from work at night and eat dinner.

as I've said, I want to switch from the English muffin to a more low carb high protein snack that'll help me get more cut and defined again.

I would also like to eat ground turkey with spinach and goat cheese for breakfast as part of a low carb high protein diet, but I'm eating too much meat as you can see, and id be afraid of health concerns in the future.

I might be missing something, but your diet seems to have very little fat in it. You'll be getting a little from the nuts / nut butter, but I'd be interested in knowing how it calculates out (especially on days you have chicken breast instead of salmon).

entremet

I might be missing something, but your diet seems to have very little fat in it. You'll be getting a little from the nuts / nut butter, but I'd be interested in knowing how it calculates out (especially on days you have chicken breast instead of salmon).

Nut butters, yogurt, eggs, chicken breast--it still has some fat even skinless--salmon, which has a lot of fat.

Unless you're ketotic, you don't really need that much fat.

By my quick calculations, that's down in the sub 20% ratio... and fat has shitloads of advantages for the body, especially at low calorific intake.

Of course, if he's eating about 1/4 of a tub of almond butter then I take it back. :)

entremet

By my quick calculations, that's down in the sub 20% ratio... and fat has shitloads of advantages for the body, especially at low calorific intake.

Of course, if he's eating about 1/4 of a tub of almond butter then I take it back. :)

You do need some, but beyond getting your EFA (Essential Fatty Acids) you need much beyond that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to lose a little of my definition since going from 170-180/6'1. Plus, I want to limit my carb intake, like eating Ezekiel English muffins with almond butter everyday.

I'm thinking about replacing the English muffins with canned chunk lite 5 days a week, but I'm worried about mercury poison.

here's what my diet looks like:

breakfast

1 cup oatmeal with sliced bananas, chopped pecans, currents, and scoop whey protein

post gym
protein shake

2 hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese

lunch around 5-6pm

chicken breast, or salmon, or pinto beans
basmati rice, or quinoa, or sweet potato
mixed greens
fage fruit yogurt
granola bar

I eat salmon, chicken, pinto beans two days, then switch to the next and so on. Same with the grains.

couple hours later I eat the English muffin almond butter.

come home from work at night and eat dinner.

as I've said, I want to switch from the English muffin to a more low carb high protein snack that'll help me get more cut and defined again.

I would also like to eat ground turkey with spinach and goat cheese for breakfast as part of a low carb high protein diet, but I'm eating too much meat as you can see, and id be afraid of health concerns in the future.

There's really no reason to be concerned about eating meat over anything else.

Going low carb should necessarily mean high-fat. You need something from which to derive your daily energy. When depriving the body of easy glucose sources, it will start using fat as much as possible. Deprive it of fat, too, and you're just going to end up converting the protein you eat into glucose, kind of defeating the point of the low-carb diet's benefits to mobilizing fat stores. Sure, you've created some inefficiencies, but you're probably going to feel absolutely miserable, too.

Between the cup of oatmeal, cup of rice or quinoa, sweet potato, and the muffin with almond butter, I think I'm eating a decent amount of carbs.

I'm just getting a small little pudge, plus I only have s four pack instead of a defined six pack like I used to.

if I at least eliminate the muffin for chunk lite as an afternoon snack, that'll cut down on the carbs while increasing by protein intake by 25g. I'll get a little stronger and cut some of that pudge.

if I don't want to cut out the muffin, is eating it everyday bad for health in the long run when you look at my diet. As I've said, it's the Ezekiel organic brand.

thanks.

Changing your macros isn't going to suddenly make you lose fat. Cut something out and drop calories, sure, but don't expect to be able to drop a few carbs in exchange for protein and change anything.

Maybe if you go full keto (debate still ongoing on that one), but that's not what you were talking about.

Azulsky

They actually say parboiled is the best nutritionally. The parboiling process apparently ups the nutritional content

Should still be the same as absorption method as you aren't losing anything to the water.

I have been making smoothies and I think my old Blender is about to die. What brands are good for blenders?

entremet

Changing your macros isn't going to suddenly make you lose fat. Cut something out and drop calories, sure, but don't expect to be able to drop a few carbs in exchange for protein and change anything.

Maybe if you go full keto (debate still ongoing on that one), but that's not what you were talking about.

I like keto myself. It's a great way to start a cut since it addresses hunger pangs better than any other diet.

I just never run keto for too long. I just don't don't well on it long term. YMMV. I think Zefah mentions he does well on it.

I've thought about getting fat adapted for endurance efforts, but I love potatoes too much.

Eh I dunno maybe ill stick to what I'm just eating. Well see. I'd be more worried about mercury poisoning if I eat 5 cans of chunk lite a week.

when I went to see the dermatologist today, I was weighed at 182. Has to be water weight and clothes that added the extra two pounds!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like keto myself. It's a great way to start a cut since it addresses hunger pangs better than any other diet.

I just never run keto for too long. I just don't don't well on it long term. YMMV. I think Zefah mentions he does well on it.

I've thought about getting fat adapted for endurance efforts, but I love potatoes too much.

I do it cyclically.

I'll usually do a "carb night" once every week or so (sometimes more frequently if I'm upping the resistance training) where I have a nice big meal that is very carb heavy and usually lower in fat. I try to time it so it's soon after resistance training, but I don't stress it too much as long as it's in the evening hours. That's the time when I indulge in the potatoes and rice. Mmm hmm...

I don't think carbs are the devil or anything, but I do think they need to be used strategically and are not healthy in the amounts that most people typically eat them, especially when glycogen stores are not being depleted regularly, which is absolutely the case for the average mostly sedentary individual.

Having full muscle glycogen stores is excellent if you're doing any kind of heavy resistance training. The benefits from spiking insulin every once in a while are also great, but I suppose carbs aren't technically necessary for that part.

Everyone has to find what works for their own bodies in the end, but I've yet to encounter anyone who hasn't seen dramatic health benefits across the board from going low/no-carb and high-fat. A very limited pool of anecdotal evidence, I know, but the bits and pieces I've learned about human physiology and metabolism definitely backs up what I've observed in myself and others.

Eh I dunno maybe ill stick to what I'm just eating. Well see. I'd be more worried about mercury poisoning if I eat 5 cans of chunk lite a week.

when I went to see the dermatologist today, I was weighed at 182. Has to be water weight and clothes that added the extra two pounds!

Don't get too hung up on the number on the scale. Regular weigh ins are great, but your weight can fluctuate quite a bit throughout any given day.

True. I'm sure if I woke up in the morning and weighed myself, id probably be around 178-180.

but my question hasn't been answered yet in regards to the chunk lite and the English muffin almond butter.

You had an answer. If it's lower calories, it might do something, if it's just for the extra protein, it probably wont do anything.

What are you macros as stands? Total calorie intake, grams of protein / fat / carbs etc?

Azulsky

Between the cup of oatmeal, cup of rice or quinoa, sweet potato, and the muffin with almond butter, I think I'm eating a decent amount of carbs.

I'm just getting a small little pudge, plus I only have s four pack instead of a defined six pack like I used to.

if I at least eliminate the muffin for chunk lite as an afternoon snack, that'll cut down on the carbs while increasing by protein intake by 25g. I'll get a little stronger and cut some of that pudge.

if I don't want to cut out the muffin, is eating it everyday bad for health in the long run when you look at my diet. As I've said, it's the Ezekiel organic brand.

thanks.

This doesn't sound like that many carbs depending on your activity level.

entremet

Lots of people are terrified of refeed / cheat days though, so it's well worth posting science that backs it up.

Exactly. Also this is exactly one of the reason unexperienced dieters crash and give up, especially female dieters.

They go way too low calorie, do lots of cardio, and then rebound and quit. Seen it way too much going to gyms for years.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I've been in dire need of more protein and decided to try out cottage cheese. My mother suggested I eat something along with it like a fruit or even salsa. So I bought some salsa along with it. What an excellent snack!

NateDrake

Anyone have experience with Ensure? I want to add one to my daily plan for the extra calories and protein. It wouldn't replace a meal or anything, it would be a quick snack between breakfast and lunch.

I assume it's a meal replacement drink? In which case it'll be fine for extra calories etc... much the same as people having protein drinks. Just don't rely on them for more than a little top-up.

Depends how I'm eating it. If it's in a recipe, raw. If it's just the chicken breast (roast for instance), then cooked.

Cooked is technically the most accurate way to do it.

Cooked. For veggies I weigh it raw/frozen but I usually just grab itnby the handful and don't usually really track those unless it's like potatoes

ILoveBish

I weigh my chicken raw. I'm cooking up 40lbs of it right now, so i weigh it all, then cook it portion controlled. The label doesn't specify which it is, and it comes raw, so i'd expect it to be raw to track.

xezuru

I'm new to the nutrition game and been thinking of hopping in on the salad train.

No idea where to start but my pops has a history of Kidney stones so that knocks off a good amount of the obvious salad bases, so I have no idea, where to start, would appreciate working up to a chicken salad though, not that I know where to get actual good chicken and other healthperbuck ingredients. I wish it could just be like Subway where I can get just some grilled chicken strips to quickbake except without all the garbage included with the frozen foods norm.

On a side note, any recommendations for Balsamic Vinegar / Olive Oil brands

No idea where to start but my pops has a history of Kidney stones so that knocks off a good amount of the obvious salad bases

How does this work? I assume you'd want to avoid certain leaves, but I would have thought it would just be the ones high in oxalic acid. If that was the case, then almost all lettuces would be fine.

mdsfx

How does this work? I assume you'd want to avoid certain leaves, but I would have thought it would just be the ones high in oxalic acid. If that was the case, then almost all lettuces would be fine.

That's correct. I have to avoid too much spinach or I get them. I can eat most spring mixes and lettuce in large amounts without issue.

ILoveBish

Decided to do a bookmark info dump. There are 3 sets of bookmarks. One is cooking sites. One is my original recipes bookmarks, the last is the newest recipe bookmarks because the other got so huge.

Obviously the majority of this stuff is low carb/keto stuff, some might be a normal recipe i bookmarked to convert into low carb later.

Here ya go:

Cooking Sites (Some links may not work): http://share.xmarks.com/folder/bookmarks/Em6zeBRgjI

Original recipes: http://share.xmarks.com/folder/bookmarks/G5uL3DEQXY

2nd recipes: http://share.xmarks.com/folder/bookmarks/aYV7ZN0tv5

There is no sorting what so ever. Random stuff all over the place.

I lost a shit load of weight. Something like 120lbs.

Ever since I've had a problem with water retention. I can gain 10+lbs in a few days easily.

If course that freaks me out pretty bad. Plus i am relatively constipated, with only twp bowl movements a week. How do I avoid this. I drink about 3 quarts of water a day and my dietary balance is relatively balanced. If I go out to dinner or something shit hits the fan though.

Top Bottom