• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

old TV series

dorkimoe

How old are we talking? Some of the old sitcoms are really great. Not sure I could do an old "action" series as technology has come so far.

I like Wings, Home Improvement, NewsRadio, 3rd rock from the sun, Married with Children.

nikolino840

How old are we talking? Some of the old sitcoms are really great. Not sure I could do an old "action" series as technology has come so far.

I like Wings, Home Improvement, NewsRadio, 3rd rock from the sun, Married with Children.
Well no matter how old.... :) Mmmmh... Just before the 90's ...
I've started to Watch old series instead the new ones . i'm watching the jeffersons now

#Phonepunk#

Banned
giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my favorite old tv shows:

Seinfeld
The Simpsons (first 6 seasons)
The Prisoner
Danger Man
Police Squad
Rockford Files
Columbo
Stargate SG-1
Xena Warrior Princess
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Batman
Wonder Woman
Quantum Leap
Star Trek TOS/TNG/DS9
Inhumanoids
The Real Ghostbusters
Dirty Pair
The Avengers
The Addam's Family

Addam's Family is so dope. Morticia is the coolest proto goth ever.

poe7owi9wg39.gif

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I'll also add:

Amazing Stories
6 million dollar man
Bionic woman
Man from Atlantis
Voyagers
Highway to Heaven
The Munsters Today
Beauty and the Beast
Street Hawk
Captain Power
Sledgehammer
Dark Justice

Midnight Caller
G vs E
American Gothic
Raven
Renegade
Total Recall 2070
Space: Above and Beyond
Tour of Duty (I loved that the theme-tune was The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black)

Nearly every TV show I watched as a kid got cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons:messenger_grinning_squinting:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I could probably watch M*A*S*H every day for the rest of my life and be entertained

A lot of good mentions in here. I'll add :

I Dream of Jeannie (The dynamic between Major Nelson, Jeannie and Dr. Bellows was just too funny.)

tumblr_os6oknjt3p1viv4d5o1_400.gif

Gomer Pyle (Like the above, the Pyle/Sgt. Carter chemistry was pure gold!)

tenor.gif

GreenElectricHaddock-max-1mb.gif

I'm rather a fan of classic Doctor Who. Tom Baker had some of the best episodes, but I really liked Sylvester McCoy's later episodes, shortly before they canceled the show. The 60s was a good time for scifi. The Prisoner, Star Trek, The Avengers, Batman, Outer Limits, Lost in Space, Planet of the Apes.

pramod

When I was a kid I never missed an episode of Land of the Lost.

Golden Girls was the king of sitcoms for me. No other show has been able to make me split my sides so regularly.

I was also a big fan of Newhart and the deadpan humor.

As for sci-fi Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica the original ruled the 80s.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I'm rather a fan of classic Doctor Who. Tom Baker had some of the best episodes, but I really liked Sylvester McCoy's later episodes, shortly before they canceled the show. The 60s was a good time for scifi. The Prisoner, Star Trek, The Avengers, Batman, Outer Limits, Lost in Space, Planet of the Apes.

i looove Doctor Who. Tom Baker was my main doctor but i'll watch anything from any era.

also this reminds me i need to finally check out the Planet of the Apes tv shows!

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You ever seen the old Planet of the Apes TV show? They even got Roddy McDowall back for it (he plays Cornelius and Caesar in the original films). Fun show, lasted a season, didn't get its proper ending.

Duellist

Some Canadian classics
Littlest Hobo
Beachcombers(Relic FTW)
Others:
MacGyver
A-team
Knightrider

Last edited:
Before the 90's:

I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched
Batman (Adam West & Burt Ward)
Wonder Woman
Gilligan's Island
Knight Rider
MacGyver
The A-Team
Star Trek: TOS
M.A.S.H.
The Outer Limits
Tales from the Crypt
Unsolved Mysteries

Last edited:

-hal-

Lots of good ones mentioned so far. I also have a thing for westerns.

Gunsmoke... but mainly the original black and white series.
The Rifleman... always thought that gun was badass.
Maverick... a hero that is smarmy, sarcastic, and just a little conceited. What's not to like?

Old comedies; love those too:

Andy Griffith Show... Don Knotts is a genius.
All in the Family... people nowadays see it and get offended, not understanding that the joke's on Archie. A very forward thinking and smartly acted comedy.
I Love Lucy... one of the the all-time greats
Sanford and Son... who doesn't love Redd Foxx?

Gotta mention M*A*S*H* again too. The writing is just superb for many of the episodes. Groundbreaking in many ways too.

Last edited:

lil puff

It is too hard to top what has been said.

Threes Company was my fav show. And Threes a Crowd.

I also liked Kinght Rider, Miami Vice and Love Boat.

I liked Jeopardy and Price is Right and Family Fued because my grandma forced us to watch those after the local news.

Nymphae

Banned
I have been trying to find this kids show I used to watch when I was younger for years, and I can't figure out the name of it. I think it aired on TVO up here in Canada in the early 90's, all I can remember is that there were a couple of kids and maybe some muppet like things as well, and the show mainly took place in this like cabin in the woods, or at least that's all I remember, and the kids were trying to solve some mystery involving this really old school computer in the cabin which gave them cryptic messages. It's actually been driving me crazy for a while, I recently went through a huge list of old tv shows on wikipedia and just couldn't find it, maybe it was a fever dream.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
You have all been reported.

All these lists have some great shows, but not even one with The Twilight Zone??!!??!

You should all hang your heads in shame!

AaronB

The GOATS:
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Get Smart
The Simpsons, seasons 2-10
(UK division)
Fawlty Towers
Mr. Bean
Blackadder

Cartoons from my childhood:
Tom and Jerry
Transformers (gen. 1)
GI Joe
Mask
Dino Riders
Centurions

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yep, Fawlty Towers. The King.

Also,

- Are You Being Served?
- Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em
- Blackadder

70s/80s British comedy shows were the bomb. Not sure what happened.

Before the 90's:

I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched
Batman (Adam West & Burt Ward)
Wonder Woman
Gilligan's Island
Knight Rider
MacGyver
The A-Team
Star Trek: TOS
M.A.S.H.
The Outer Limits
Tales from the Crypt
Unsolved Mysteries
Loved Tales From the Crypt....Never had HBO so I would watch at friend’s house as much as possible!

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
ALF
Married with children
Twilight Zone
Golden girls
A-team
Mission impossible
The prisoner
Tales from the crypt
Get smart
Young ones
Who's the boss
Night Stand
Addams family
Knight rider
Transformers

Amongst others

appaws

Banned
All in the Family was the goat, IMO...until being surpassed by Breaking Bad.

Also, a shout out to Taxi. What a cast, Judd Hirsch, Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, Marilou Henner, Tony Danza.

I think What’s Happening is very underrated.

Dinnell

International:
- Married with children
- Columbo
- A-Team
- Alf

Local (Germany):
- Balko
- Derrick

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
G vs E
American Gothic

Nice pulls. I loved these two shows, and G vs E seems to be impossible to find in any way, retail or online.

If you want pre 90s Detective/Mystery shows you have to go with the classics you didn’t mention in your OP nikolino840 nikolino840

Obviously,
Matlock
Murder, She Wrote
And Hill St Blues.

My fav was The Commish which was a late 80s/Early 90s one featuring Michael Chiklis before The Shield was a thing, (Edit: after checking it looks like this started in 91, but it definitely feels 80’s when you watch Season 1]

Both Murder, She Wrote and The Commish are on Prime Video in Canada, not sure about elsewhere.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I've been watching Ally McBeal lately, my wife being younger that be never saw it. It's been amusing shocking a millennial with some old school shit. Lots of stuff you can't get away with now, and it's bloody awesome.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
been watching Gilligan's Island. there is a "3 hour tour" on MeTV on Sundays. Mary Anne is such a babe.

funny one last Sunday. Mary Anne hit her head and thought she was Ginger. so Ginger has to pretend to be Mary Anne. body swap comedy. hilarity ensues.

all the stock sitcom tropes happen in this show, economically, masterfully. it is kind of a master class in sitcoms. IMO a lot of modern stuff (like Community) gets a bunch of inspiration from here. were i ever hired to write a sitcom i would watch every episode of this show.

Top Bottom