• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

GGK4CdT.png

3ajytXa.png

flK0ZMG.png

LMAO

I don't really consider any of the fights of the past arc (I count Zou as the same arc as this one, so I'm talking about Doflamingo) good examples of fight anymore. They always feel rushed to the ending, unless it's a Luffy fight.

Zoro fight with Pica was, what, 3, 4 pages and the the double spread with him cutting the guy? Really lame. Same with Senor Pink vs Franky.

It feels like Oda don't develop the fights anymore and just want to get them to the point. And fights were the reason I always liked One Piece. Seeing them being rushed in one chapter is pretty bad, but I understand that he wants to end his manga.

Sanji vs Judge, Pedro vs Tamago, all of them suffer from what I'm saying. After the time skip, he just makes the fights more and more less detailed, more to the point.
Senior pink vs franky and zoro vs pics was broken up into several chapters not 3-4 pages. The alliance members got their own chapter(and I remember ppl complaining they were the ones taking out mingos crew) sanji vs judge wasn’t even a fight and it still got its own chapter

Senior pink vs franky and zoro vs pics was broken up into several chapters not 3-4 pages. The alliance members got their own chapter(and I remember ppl complaining they were the ones taking out mingos crew) sanji vs judge wasn't even a fight and it still got its own chapter

Yep what oda does now break the fights apart more compare to before.
Sucks if you reading by week but by vol or if you re read the arc it's easy to notice.
I remember some people on AP saying luffy vs don't fight was short but it was long if you take out everything else.

Sucks if you reading by week but by vol or if you re read the arc it's easy to notice.
I remember some people on AP saying luffy vs don't fight was short but it was long if you take out everything else.
Pretty much in all honesty if katakuri wasn’t so cool I’d be complaining about luffy fighting him I don’t really care for a fight in this arc wasn’t the plan,they’re out numbered,tired, and apparently not quite ready. Sanji fighting ichiji would damper this arc, oven or daifuku has to be done incredibly well for me to like it otherwise Ima question why they’re risking their families lives to fight him

One Piece fans be like:

Oh yeah, the chapter. I thought it was good to okay.

We already assumed that Katakuri was awakened. This is good confirmation since it lays the groundwork for Luffy to learn/figure out how to awaken his powers.

And it's obvious now what Oda's doing with Brulee and the subordiantes hyping up Katakuri in this fight. He's laying all these amazing things about Katakuri so that when Luffy finally beats him, it'll make it look like a HUGE achievement.

Germa Boyz (and Girl) are back. I'm going to assume that Niji can do voice impressions, right?

Geg

How could Luffy even practically use awakened powers though.

Just like... make people he's fighting bounce around on the floor or something?

Also I wonder if Crocodile being able to dry out stone and the ground and shit to the point that it turned to sand was the result of awakened powers or if that was just a natural application of his fruit's normal powers

caliph95

Also I wonder if Crocodile being able to dry out stone and the ground and shit to the point that it turned to sand was the result of awakened powers or if that was just a natural application of his fruit's normal powers
I think Crocodile was just him being good and creative with his powers otherwise it would have been mentioned if he was awakened

I don't really consider any of the fights of the past arc (I count Zou as the same arc as this one, so I'm talking about Doflamingo) good examples of fight anymore. They always feel rushed to the ending, unless it's a Luffy fight.

Zoro fight with Pica was, what, 3, 4 pages and the the double spread with him cutting the guy? Really lame. Same with Senor Pink vs Franky.

It feels like Oda don't develop the fights anymore and just want to get them to the point. And fights were the reason I always liked One Piece. Seeing them being rushed in one chapter is pretty bad, but I understand that he wants to end his manga.

Sanji vs Judge, Pedro vs Tamago, all of them suffer from what I'm saying. After the time skip, he just makes the fights more and more less detailed, more to the point.
I see what you mean, but man. "Too rushed and straight to the point" is not a criticism I thought I'd ever hear of Dressrosa.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

My first thoughts on Luffy's awakened powers is just him being able to turn the ground into rubber so he can bounce back at an enemy if they knock him into the ground or it cushions his fall.

Maedhros

It always suck.

Water 7 had chapters almost entirely dedicated to one fight. Since Marineford, I feel like One Piece got worse and worse on this aspect.

The rest still ok, but I got on the point where I read it just to see the ending, like Naruto after Pain or Bleach after Soul Society...

I see what you mean, but man. "Too rushed and straight to the point" is not a criticism I thought I'd ever hear of Dressrosa.

Fights. I'm talking about the fights.

Cwarrior

Personally am not a fan of this arc I feel it's several steps down from the return to form of dressrosa, it feel rushed there no time for any fun, hype moments, full on fights , action, twist or secondary/villain shine moments.

The way the straw hats are escaping near defeat feels a little unearned and makes the big mama pirates look weak as hell, 80% of them ain't even doing nothing, how the hell is luffy & Brooke still in the fight but cracker & snack aren't.

Wake me up when oda decides to slow the fuck down, am tired of this offscreen nonsense I would of liked to see the vinesmokes get beat on screen or at least have Brooke vs big mama on screen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It always suck.

Water 7 had chapters almost entirely dedicated to one fight. Since Marineford, I feel like One Piece got worse and worse on this aspect.

The rest still ok, but I got on the point where I read it just to see the ending, like Naruto after Pain or Bleach after Soul Society...

Fights. I'm talking about the fights.

Dress rsa had some long and boring fights. I don't eve agree then. The match ups outside of Franky's were awful.

Maedhros

Dress rsa had some long and boring fights. I don't eve agree then. The match ups outside of Franky's were awful.

Examples of long fights in Dressrosa, please? Two, three panels aren't really long for me. Long would mean four, five chapters in one fight.

The fights are very spread out, so you never get to see what happened to make the fight get to that point. An example on this arc would be Brook vs Big Mom... we never seen how he hurt Poseidon or whatever, only the ending result. I find this very boring. It works for the reader to get the point (they fought and it here's the result), but I actually want to see them.

Gear 4 is gunna be like super Saiyan after trunks shows up.

Super powerful then becomes the bottom of the barrel. Tho I have faith they won't since power creep has been very well handled

Solid chapter. We're definitely heading for a big showdown on Cacoa Island. I'm betting the Germa and Capone's forces are going to hold of BIg Mom's fleet while the cake is getting prepared.

It makes logical sense that most Devil Fruit users Luffy faces now will have awakened powers. While I don't see Gear 4 necessarily beating Katakuri I can see Luffy knocking him on his back at least once by the end of this arc with it.

I have no idea what Luffy's awakened powers could do if he received said ability. People have mentioned making the environment all rubber but I don't see what that'd do for him in a fight.

Gear 4 is gunna be like super Saiyan after trunks shows up.

Super powerful then becomes the bottom of the barrel. Tho I have faith they won't since power creep has been very well handled
Got that impression with cracker but than tank man happened where he couldn’t do shit so who knows now gear 4th probably has more in store

Ray Down

Banned
Solid chapter. We're definitely heading for a big showdown on Cacoa Island. I'm betting the Germa and Capone's forces are going to hold of BIg Mom's fleet while the cake is getting prepared.

By the time anyone reaches the island (besides Pound) the cake would have been done hours ago, I guess the other stuff in the cake theory could come into play.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Examples of long fights in Dressrosa, please? Two, three panels aren't really long for me. Long would mean four, five chapters in one fight.

The fights are very spread out, so you never get to see what happened to make the fight get to that point. An example on this arc would be Brook vs Big Mom... we never seen how he hurt Poseidon or whatever, only the ending result. I find this very boring. It works for the reader to get the point (they fought and it here's the result), but I actually want to see them.

I eman I understand that but One Piece is a 20 year old manga. Unless we ru under the assumption of Oda radically changing the story to accomodate this addig all these fights in properly detail could easily increase the length by another decade One Piece has a massive cast. It's what the anime should fill in but it hasn't been doing such a great job these days outside of a few exceptions.

I really don't see the point of seeing brook getting his ass kick or seeing semi fodder get beat \ fights that don't matter .
OP has been going on for 20 years i would like to see the ending lol.

At this point OP cast has gotten way to big for that sort of stuff now .
Wano could last for years if Oda show to much .

LotusHD

Banned
I really don't see the point of seeing brook getting his ass kick or seeing semi fodder get beat fights that don't matter .

This, we gotta be practical, just let Oda stick to showing the fights that actually matter.

For the past 5 chapters it feels like we go through the same old same old, Luffy is getting beat up by dogtooth, the his crew is an trouble rinse and repeat. Not saying its bad but it feels like I'm reading the same chapter from 2 weeks ago and the break didn't help much either.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Probably Bleach fans expecting Ichigo to pull three power-ups in a row out of his ass.

Truth be told Kubo trolled the fuck out of that. Never before have I seen a power up hyped to such a degree and for so long to be destroyed before use and never fucking seen again. Bleach still made absolutely no sense, but more so than FT.

Truth be told Kubo trolled the fuck out of that. Never before have I seen a power up hyped to such a degree and for so long to be destroyed before use and never fucking seen again. Bleach still made absolutely no sense, but more so than FT.

Nah FT made much more sense than bleach at least to me .
Everything was explain with power of guild\ friendship and that was that .
Bleach try to hype to much along with explaining stuff .

caliph95

I really don't see the point of seeing brook getting his ass kick or seeing semi fodder get beat fights that don't matter .

While Oda is better than Kubo (Plus he kinda did this in Dressrosa)

Big problem in bleach is because Kubo either ran into a wall or want to stretch things out made us see the fights of every captain and lieutenant or sidekick (hyperbole) and some of them would last ages bloating an arc

LotusHD

Banned
Personally am not a fan of this arc I feel it's several steps down from the return to form of dressrosa, it feel rushed there no time for any fun, hype moments, full on fights , action, twist or secondary/villain shine moments.

This has been extremely enjoyable in comparison to Dressrosa on a weekly basis as far as I'm concerned.

There's been time for everything you've said:

Fun - Extremely subjective, nor do I exactly know what you mean here, but Gangster Gastino revealing himself, Brulee, Carrot's drawing, Capone's Looney Toons gag, freaking Pudding, etc.

Hype moments - Big Mom's attacks, Luffy beating Cracker, Nami's Zeus attack, Brook being the MVP, Helmsman Jinbe, Luffy v. Katakuri, just about everything Katakuri has done, the bomb finally exploding, Luffy's entire reaction to Pedro's death, etc.

Full on fights - Frankly, only thing left I could really bother with is a fight for Sanji. But to each their own.

Action - Already addressed

Twist - Pudding twist, although arguably undercut somewhat now, was easily one of the biggest twists we've had in awhile. Big Mom wanting to betray the Vinsmokes could count too. Oh, and let's not forget the combo of Mother Carmel being evil, quickly followed by a freaking act of cannibalism that Big Mom doesn't even know about.

Secondary villains shining - Practically everything about Katakuri. Perospero has been clutch. Evil Pudding for awhile was amazing while it lasted.

At any rate, I'm certainly satisfied regarding the categories you listed.

For the past 5 chapters it feels like we go through the same old same old, Luffy is getting beat up by dogtooth, the his crew is an trouble rinse and repeat. Not saying its bad but it feels like I'm reading the same chapter from 2 weeks ago and the break didn't help much either.

He's called Katakuri :(

We didn't even see his crew this chapter, and thus chapter revealed what both Bege and Germa are up to. Only thing I can say I'm disappointed about is that Gear 4 is happening next week.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I went through Dressrosa watching the anime, so I might not like it as much as people who were reading the manga back then, but I'm finding this arc way more enjoyable than that one.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Everything was explain with power of guild\ friendship and that was that .

Nah power of friendship is not an explanation it's litterally deus ex machina (it's a just because). Bleach generally tried to explain it's shit, it does so poorly but you can generally find some shitty explaination for whatever crap event regardless how non-sensical that explanation actually was. Fairy Tail never tries but still goes through the exact same motions of attempting to get you to care while ending up with the exat same ending. Hence the cycle of hyping and jobbing.

It's final arc was King. You have an organisation of Jobbers hyped as a world ending threat followed by a Jobber King with litterally no back story. There's even less effort there in explaning anything than even Bleach's Final shitty villain.

Ray Down

Banned

Big problem in bleach is because Kubo either ran into a wall or want to stretch things out made us see the fights of every captain and lieutenant or sidekick (hyperbole) and some of them would last ages bloating an arc

Even then some captains get multiple fights withen the same arc.

I went through Dressrosa watching the anime, so I might not like it as much as people who were reading the manga back then, but I'm finding this arc way more enjoyable than that one.
Do not be fooled dressrosa isnt exactly well loved im an outlier the main point I’ve seen is it drags which is why zou with its short and sweet info dump with basically no fights and action that happened before the strawhats even got there is so loved

LotusHD

Banned

Anime or manga, it doesn't matter, WCI is just flat-out better to me. The unpredictability of the entire thing from beginning to end is probably the arc's best selling point. That said, I like Dressrosa, it just clearly benefits from being able to binge it.

Dressrosa anime, all I really remember was Gear 4, took forever to finish, and almost made me drop the anime due to a bunch of reasons.

caliph95

Everything was explain with power of guild friendship and that was that .
Honestly it's a futile thing to discuss which made more sense but at least FT didn't require convoluted explanation and oddly specific powers and saying this as a Togashi fan

Like Black ninja having the power to change her spiritual pressure to counter someone who can be immune to whatever he choose, even though that's a general useless power that only works for that fight

But that's just me being bored and stopped paying attention

In Dressrosa he did that because it was set up for the SH grand fleet .
Still it was a given that we were not going to see them fight every arc .

Nah power of friendship is not an explanation it's litterally deus ex machina (it's a just because). Bleach generally tried to explain it's shit, it does so poorly but you can generally find some shitty explaination for whatever crap event regardless how non-sensical that explanation actually was. Fairy Tail never tries but still goes through the exact same motions of attempting to get you to care while ending up with the exat same ending. Hence the cycle of hyping and jobbing.

It's final arc was King. You have an organisation of Jobbers hyped as a world ending threat followed by a Jobber King with litterally no back story. There's even less effort there in explaning anything than even Bleach's Final shitty villain.

This is where we don't see things the same way .
A shitty\ non-sensical \ poor explanation is worst than nothing to to me .
Plus it was said early on in FT that emotion \feelings matter a lot in magic .
Also are you mixing up FT final arc villains ?
Cause FT final villains we knew about for years and there back story some what .

Fights have never really been the draw of One Piece for me. I like them, they can be cool, but I still consider it an action/adventure manga.

I like the characters and how they bounce off each other. I like the settings and the larger political workings of the world.

Plenty of One Piece arcs have treated fights as afterthoughts or straight up avoided a "traditional" fight. And I never liked the idea that a character had to fight in order to make a meaningful contribution to the arc despite evidence to the contrary.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In Dressrosa he did that because it was set up for the SH grand fleet .
Still it was a given that we were not going to see them fight every arc .

This is where we don't see things the same way .
A shitty\ non-sensical \ poor explanation is worst than nothing to to me .
Plus it was said early on in FT that emotion \feelings matter a lot in magic .
Also are you mixing up FT final arc villains ?
Cause FT final villains we knew about for years and there back story some what .

We never got an actual back story on the final Villain Aconologia beyond he became a dragon King and wants to destroy all creation for no actual reason. That's insulting lazy. That's my issue bad explanation take some effort. No explanatons and no backstory takes no effort

We never got an actual back story on the final Villain Aconologia beyond he became a dragon King and wants to all creation for no actual reason. That's insulting lazy. That's my issue bad explanation take some effort. No explanatons and no backstory takes no effort
Damn...lmao I never even realized

Top Bottom