• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ottawa GAF [OT] - Thread of Lurkers, Beavertails, Government Workers. Carleton sux

isny

napkin dispenser
Gave up on Hintonburg, could not find anything that was close to a Grocery store / below 1400$.

Have been looking at Vanier and just found out, thanks to reddit, that its apparently a neighborhood were shit goes down.
Shit being prostitutes, evil things and crack.

Anyone with experience there?
I'm not from Ottawa so all of this is new but the crime reports are pretty clear on it being rather sketchy.
I dont want to move somewhere with a two year old and have him turn into the boomerang boy from MadMax right away.

Don't look downtown unless you absolutely have to be close to work. Look for something in Nepean or Orleans or even in Gatineau and you'll be much happier.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gave up on Hintonburg, could not find anything that was close to a Grocery store / below 1400$.

Have been looking at Vanier and just found out, thanks to reddit, that its apparently a neighborhood were shit goes down.
Shit being prostitutes, evil things and crack.

Anyone with experience there?
I'm not from Ottawa so all of this is new but the crime reports are pretty clear on it being rather sketchy.
I dont want to move somewhere with a two year old and have him turn into the boomerang boy from MadMax right away.

What are your requirements? Where do you work?

I've lived in 2 of the garden homes on Pixley and Renova pvt. Great neighbourhood for young families, and relatively cheap. Many school nearby...close to Hurdman (one of the main OC Transpo terminals in the city), and a 10-15 minute walk from Trainyards (Walmart, Farm Boy, outlet stores, Movati Gym).

Here's two for rent:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-rental...nt/1136538150?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-rental...nt/1136538159?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$1250/mo

Biggest problem will be baseboard heating. It's a 4-plex though so your back and side walls are shared with the neighbors, so that will bring costs down a bit.

isny

napkin dispenser

I've lived in 2 of the garden homes on Pixley and Renova pvt. Great neighbourhood for young families, and relatively cheap. Many school nearby...close to Hurdman (one of the main OC Transpo terminals in the city), and a 10-15 minute walk from Trainyards (Walmart, Farm Boy, outlet stores, Movati Gym).

Here's two for rent:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-rental...nt/1136538150?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-rental...nt/1136538159?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$1250/mo

Biggest problem will be baseboard heating. It's a 4-plex though so your back and side walls are shared with the neighbors, so that will bring costs down a bit.

To be fair a mortgage is only $1200 a month...

Silexx

I lived just west of Vanier (just over the bridge to Centertown / Sandy Hill). Personally I found Vanier a bit run down but not dangerous. I had no problem going there for food or whatever or driving through. However I also didn't have kids so my tolerance might have been higher. Where I lived in particular got a lot of minor police calls and there was a woman in the neighborhood who I am fairly confident was a sex worker. I think whether or not that will bother you depends on your past experience with medium-to-big cities.

In terms of violent crime, it seems to me that the worst place in Ottawa is mostly in the byward market area at night when drunk morons get into escalating fights.

Pretty much this. I worked in Vanier for almost 10 years and while it's definitely on the low-income scale in terms of populace, it's actually become a pretty safe place to live over the years thanks to various community efforts.

The place you really want to avoid is the Heron Gate region. That's where shit goes down.

iddqd

Thanks for all the feedback guys, super nice!

Looked at 3 apartments today in Westboro and they were all fine.
The best one also had the (probably) slightly crazy landlord so there is that.

The needs are less about my job (I work freelance from home in the animation industry) but more for the kid/wife.
The kid needs a neighborhood that has a low frequency of stabbing and the wife wants to be able to walk to a cafe/populated area.

Here's two for rent:

$1250/mo

Thanks for those links!
For the moment, something a bit more central would be easier (we have no car).
The plan is to get a car, then look for a house.

Anyone with a house around Ottawa here? How much fun is it too look for one? I have zero clue about those pitfalls.

Bringing the team downtown is going to make navigating the core on a game day almost impossible, however the benefit of this is that tourism in Ottawa may increase exponentially if we get a Landsdowne type of experience at Lebreton as it'll attract not only sports fans to the city who will come for the easily accessible games to the casual tourist who sees we have a new stadium, a new transit system, a new shopping mall (Rideau's expansion,) etc.

That's a pretty big "may", since there's pretty much zero evidence that spending on stadiums brings in enough revenue to offset the cost of building them. I'd rather they ditched the arena idea entirely and built the area up with housing and some shopping. That would certainly have much more of a benefit for the city than building a giant arena that'll be empty for most of the year.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, super nice!

Looked at 3 apartments today in Westboro and they were all fine.
The best one also had the (probably) slightly crazy landlord so there is that.

The needs are less about my job (I work freelance from home in the animation industry) but more for the kid/wife.
The kid needs a neighborhood that has a low frequency of stabbing and the wife wants to be able to walk to a cafe/populated area.

Thanks for those links!
For the moment, something a bit more central would be easier (we have no car).
The plan is to get a car, then look for a house.

Anyone with a house around Ottawa here? How much fun is it too look for one? I have zero clue about those pitfalls.

My wife and I just bought a new house in Westboro a few months ago, so I can vouch for the neighbourhood being awesome. It's one of the more expensive parts of the city (we could only afford our house because it's right on one of the main streets, plus it's almost 100 years old), but I think it's worth it. It's not too bad if you don't drive -- there's good bus access, and some pretty good shops. Where were the apartments you looked at?

In terms of house-hunting, the market is pretty dead at the moment. The busiest time of the year is May-June, so if you want a decent selection from which to choose, you'll need to wait a few more months. It's definitely more expensive if you want to live inside the Greenbelt, but it's doable if you're persistent. (Vanier is super-cheap, though I'll have to go against what everyone else here says: it's a terrifying, crime-ridden hellhole, relatively speaking.) I don't know what your feelings are on agents, but it's possible to get by without one -- Grapevine and Kijiji usually have a good selection once the market gets going, but be warned that people usually set higher prices there than they can reasonably expect. (We bought our house from a Grapevine seller, but we had an agent, so it was like the best of both worlds.)

iddqd

That's a pretty big "may", since there's pretty much zero evidence that spending on stadiums brings in enough revenue to offset the cost of building them. I'd rather they ditched the arena idea entirely and built the area up with housing and some shopping. That would certainly have much more of a benefit for the city than building a giant arena that'll be empty for most of the year.

My wife and I just bought a new house in Westboro a few months ago, so I can vouch for the neighbourhood being awesome. It's one of the more expensive parts of the city (we could only afford our house because it's right on one of the main streets, plus it's almost 100 years old), but I think it's worth it. It's not too bad if you don't drive -- there's good bus access, and some pretty good shops. Where were the apartments you looked at?

In terms of house-hunting, the market is pretty dead at the moment. The busiest time of the year is May-June, so if you want a decent selection from which to choose, you'll need to wait a few more months. It's definitely more expensive if you want to live inside the Greenbelt, but it's doable if you're persistent. (Vanier is super-cheap, though I'll have to go against what everyone else here says: it's a terrifying, crime-ridden hellhole, relatively speaking.) I don't know what your feelings are on agents, but it's possible to get by without one -- Grapevine and Kijiji usually have a good selection once the market gets going, but be warned that people usually set higher prices there than they can reasonably expect. (We bought our house from a Grapevine seller, but we had an agent, so it was like the best of both worlds.)

Thanks!
I'm going to sign a lease on Thursday, its pretty much the corner of Churchill/Richmond.
Exited to be done with all of this and looking forward to crying big tears when I see the IKEA bills.

The only prayers left are for good neighbors and a son that learns to poop without diapers.
Hello Ottawa!

Cromulent_Chill

Neo Member
Good neighbourhood, Richmond/Churchill. Love visiting Westboro area, if only to go to 'the works' there. God damn those brilliant burgers. Lotsa hipsters of all ages, and hip places around there. Hintonburg maybe more so. Got pretty wasted on a local brew called 'beyond the pale', check it if that's your thing.

Fou-Lu

Looking like Carleton U is probably where I am going to grad school next year. I've never lived further east than Alberta so this'll be interesting! Any tips for a country boy?

neeksleep

Wow, I had no idea there was an Ottawa Gaf! But looks like barely anyone even posts here. Anyone around Kanata/Bells corner?

neeksleep

Sort of. Work in Bell's Corners and live at Woodroffe and Hunt Club.

neat! Are there ever any ottawa-gaf meetups? Wouldn't mind checking out some of the bars and sights around town. I've been here since August but been going back and forth to Toronto almost every weekend since for family stuff. But that won't happen as often anymore, so looking to fill my weekends with shenanigans

isny

napkin dispenser
neat! Are there ever any ottawa-gaf meetups? Wouldn't mind checking out some of the bars and sights around town. I've been here since August but been going back and forth to Toronto almost every weekend since for family stuff. But that won't happen as often anymore, so looking to fill my weekends with shenanigans

I typically organize them but we haven't had much interest. I'd be up for organizing one for April if anyone's interested?

Essay

Wow, I had no idea there was an Ottawa Gaf! But looks like barely anyone even posts here. Anyone around Kanata/Bells corner?

Born, live and work in Kanata, and do a lot of hanging out further into the city. Hit me up and I'll gladly try my hand at acquainting you with the area.

I typically organize them but we haven't had much interest. I'd be up for organizing one for April if anyone's interested?

I'm down like Chinatown. I mean, I'm interested.
I mean: Can it go down again in Chinatown? (Yum)

jred2k

I've only lived here just over a year now so and I still have a lot of the city left to see. If you ever want to check something out and want someone to hang out with, hit me up.

I work nights and weekends sometimes, so I can't promise I can make it, but if you organize something I'll do my best to show up.

isny

napkin dispenser
How about the weekend of April 16th? That should be before exams for most of us and is far out enough for people to take time off for it.

What do you guys think?

Essay

How about the weekend of April 16th? That should be before exams for most of us and is far out enough for people to take time off for it.

What do you guys think?

That's probably the hardest weekend to make work for me in April. Birthday Sunday and I might not be able to avoid a 9-hour shift on the Saturday. Any chance for the weekend before/after?

isny

napkin dispenser
That's probably the hardest weekend to make work for me in April. Birthday Sunday and I might not be able to avoid a 9-hour shift on the Saturday. Any chance for the weekend before/after?

Maybe a few weeks later after exams then?

neeksleep

I'd be down for any weekend in April, and May except the weekend of May 6th-8th.

Any idea's of where we should go? I've gone to Chinatown that had some pretty good restaurants. I've pretty much never had a bad experience at Ginza Ramen if you wanted to go there

neeksleep

So this is probably going to be a hard no, but are there any good places to get some unique stationary/pens/pencils?

I used to order a shit ton from Jetpens, but the exchange rate + shipping is ridiculous now.

I'm specifically looking for mechanical drafting pencils. I checked out Papier paper and the papery downtown and they were kind of a letdown.

jred2k

Is anybody planning to attend the Capital Gaming Expo next weekend? I'd be down to meet and play some boardgames with folks if so.

Essay

For meeting up, pretty much any non-Thursday evening this month, except for Friday the 15th and 22nd could work for me. Ginza Ramen's has me curious too, so I'd bite.

Is anybody planning to attend the Capital Gaming Expo next weekend? I'd be down to meet and play some boardgames with folks if so.

That one's very tempting for the escape room, but it's going to be tricky to pry me away from fighting game meetups next weekend. (The up-to-date version of Guilty Gear becomes available on PS4 tomorrow. <3)

neeksleep

I'd never heard of the capital game expo until now. Seems neat. If you guys were to go, what day(s) would you be going?

jred2k

I'd never heard of the capital game expo until now. Seems neat. If you guys were to go, what day(s) would you be going?
I'll be there on the Saturday for sure. From my experience there isn't enough reason to go multiple days unless you're really in to one of the gaming tournaments.

Silexx

Hey! I know what will pick this thread back up! Ottawa's favourite subject: Massive sinkholes!

sinkhole-rideau-street-downtown-ottawa-june-8-2016.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/sinkhole-rideau-street-downtown-ottawa-1.3621949?cmp=rss

Anyone have any hot tips about the Obama visit tomorrow?

I was thinking to try and see him on the Parliament lawn tomorrow but apparently the Canada Day concert stage is going to block the view. :(

IISANDERII

Visited Ottawa a few weekends ago and forgot what a great city it is! Stayed 3 nights at a condo on Vanier Pkwy(Airbnb) and it's incredible how accessible everything is unlike Toronto which is a massive pain to get around due to distance, traffic or usually both.

It's awesome how you can be in the heart of downtown with an international protest going on blocking traffic, but then 15 minutes later you can be on a country road in the valley surrounded by forest.
One of the days had a marathon going on through the city but it wasn't a major delay either. Love how Ottawa's worst day is still better than Toronto's best day.

We saw a few museums(War Museum was really cool), went to the Nordik Spa, boat and open top bus tours and of course Byway Market. Love how everybody comes together there and it's one big get together with strangers talking to one another, making new friends.

Heard the winters are unkind

I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to play your Nintendo Switch. My commute isn't long enough to make bringing the handheld along worth it. I want to take advantage of the portable feature of the Switch in other places than my bed. Where in Ottawa do you play your Switch?

Dylan

I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to play your Nintendo Switch. My commute isn't long enough to make bringing the handheld along worth it. I want to take advantage of the portable feature of the Switch in other places than my bed. Where in Ottawa do you play your Switch?

Right now go for coffee shops and bars.

As long as you have headphones, any coffee shop wouldn't be that weird for playing a switch, since most other people in Bridghead/Starbucks are on their laptops anyway.

Bars are a bit weirder, but if you are meeting a friend at 9pm, why not show up at 8:30, order a pint, and play Zelda until your friends show up. In 2017 I don't see that being weird either.

Once summer hits, put your switch in a bag, ride your bike to a park, sit under a tree and go for it.

Right now go for coffee shops and bars.

As long as you have headphones, any coffee shop wouldn't be that weird for playing a switch, since most other people in Bridghead/Starbucks are on their laptops anyway.

Bars are a bit weirder, but if you are meeting a friend at 9pm, why not show up at 8:30, order a pint, and play Zelda until your friends show up. In 2017 I don't see that being weird either.

Once summer hits, put your switch in a bag, ride your bike to a park, sit under a tree and go for it.

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely give the coffee shop a try and I can't wait for summer to show up!!

Ryukori

Starbucks and Second Cup are ideal locations. They're the quieter coffee shops and the environment feels really nice.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
We need to revive this thread, so many things going on in our city this summer.

Anyone been to any good restaurants lately?

I went to Fairouz today with my wife, it was amazing. If you like Middle Eastern food and fine dining, you have to check it out, it's like a fusion of all Middle Eastern cuisines and the ambience and service is excellent.

Heard good things about another new restaurant called Riviera, definitely gonna check that one out sometime in the near future as well.

Soooo... How about them Sens, eh boys?

2017 was actually pretty awesome. I saw La Machine, Kontinuum, Mosaica, went to the Grey Cup, watched the skaters at the rink on the Hill, though I only watched the outdoor NHL game on TV.

Here's hoping 2018 gets something cool, even if its just the opening of the LRT (which I still doubt will happen, unless it opens December 31 2018)

TechJunk

Hey OttawaGAF,
I was going to post this on RedFlagDeals but figured GAF has done me right too... ;)
For any fans of The National (we saw them two weeks ago in Montreal, awesome show), here's two free codes for their latest album. I just copy pasted the email info, feel free to use.
Please post once you've redeemed the codes so people know.
---------
Please follow the instructions below to redeem for a digital download of their new album, Sleep Well Beast OR the opportunity to upgrade to a CD or LP for a special price.

1. Go to https://www.MusicRedemptions.com/TheNational
2. Enter your redemption code and choose between digital download, CD or LP
3. Complete the rest of the form and click the "Submit" button. If payment is required you will be prompted to provide your credit card information.
4. You will receive a message confirming your successful redemption.
5. If you have more codes to redeem, simply repeat steps 1 — 3

Your redemption code(s):

5WU-49SLXY

5WU-1PHH5P

Top Bottom