• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ottawa GAF [OT] - Thread of Lurkers, Beavertails, Government Workers. Carleton sux

kennah

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I get in tomorrow afternoon. Down to hang with any gaffers Friday and Saturday during the day. Show call is at 6:30 every night.

isny

napkin dispenser
Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I get in tomorrow afternoon. Down to hang with any gaffers Friday and Saturday during the day. Show call is at 6:30 every night.

Which show are you here for? I actually work in the theatre business too.

Also, Saturday works for me, or Friday from 11:30-2 for lunch?

I

Food-wise, I'd recommend The Black Tomato, Chez Lucien, the Side Door, or Murray Street in the Byward Market area or if you're willing to go downtown then the Whalesbone, El Camino, The Manx, Scone Witch, Union 613. For a truly Ottawan experience, Shawarma Palace is just east of Byward. Corazon de Maiz. If you have a car I'd recommend getting Suzy Q donuts in Hintonburg.

All great spots, Castle Shawarma is the true Ottawa spot for my money though. Also Vietnamese food on Somerset is good for cheap eats.

Exodus probably knows the best pho place.

isny

napkin dispenser
My Burger Rankings for Ottawa:

#1 Chez Lucien
#2 Works on Bank
#3 Local (Landsdowne)
#4 Hintonburger
#5 BFF

Missing Dicks! =p

Had a burger from BFF the other day that was pretty terrible. It was just dry and overcooked. Is this not the norm?

Dylan

Missing Dicks! =p

Had a burger from BFF the other day that was pretty terrible. It was just dry and overcooked. Is this not the norm?

I've never actually tried the Ottawa Dick's. I should!

When BFF first opened, it was pretty good, but the last time I had it I was also unimpressed, so maybe it has gone downhill after the initial excitement died down.

It's also the least pleasant place on that list as far as atmosphere. It has the feeling of a McDonald's crossed with a hotel lobby.

isny

napkin dispenser
I've never actually tried the Ottawa Dick's. I should!

When BFF first opened, it was pretty good, but the last time I had it I was also unimpressed, so maybe it has gone downhill after the initial excitement died down.

It's also the least pleasant place on that list as far as atmosphere. It has the feeling of a McDonald's crossed with a hotel lobby.

Yeah it always has people of Walmart type people in there eating, definitely makes it feel like a McDicks.

I also had a good first experience there when they opened up, but this last time was completely different, they probably don't sell through as much product so it's not as fresh as it could be.

kennah

Ok Ottawa GAF - I'm gone tomorrow, and I have one last question

What's the best pizza I can get near byword market

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Anyone check out the Alstom Citadis Spirit model at Landsdowne that they're going to use for the LRT?

I wanna go check it out but the weather is incredibly shitty today.

Cromulent_Chill

Neo Member
Look at that, Ottawa people. Hi Ottawa people!
Im a bum who spent too many years on the couch playing videogames,
then decided to go to CU for a Sociology degree so I could understand the world
outside my apartment. I hear GAF are the vanguard of esoteric videogame secret
knowledge... so here I am ... listening... lurking... waiting... breathing heavily.

How are you?

GSG Flash

So the Communism memorial petition almost has 3000 votes now https://www.change.org/p/government...nk&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

And I just saw the rendering of the front of the memorial for the first time today:

image.jpg

I can't believe the conservatives want to put that hideous and depressing monstrosity in our downtown, is a huge mural showing dead people really what you wanna see on a family outing with your kids downtown?

On top of that, they have a statue of a dead person right in front as well

It has just become necessary to stop this thing from being built at all costs.

Look at that, Ottawa people. Hi Ottawa people!
Im a bum who spent too many years on the couch playing videogames,
then decided to go to CU for a Sociology degree so I could understand the world
outside my apartment. I hear GAF are the vanguard of esoteric videogame secret
knowledge... so here I am ... listening... lurking... waiting... breathing heavily.

How are you?

Welcome! Always good to see new Ottawa people :D

Cromulent_Chill

Neo Member
lol. What a crazy project. So political, so very ugly and big. Just put bronze statue of Harper there instead so I can dress it up like a clown.

jred2k

Hey Ottawa-GAF I'm going to be moving to your fine city after Easter weekend. This thread doesn't seem to be too accurate lately, but hopefully now that its spring a meet up might be arranged sometime.

Quick question, though. Does anyone have suggestions for Ottawa-specific job ads? I've been keeping an eye on the big sites like Indeed and the Canada Job Bank, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

Thanks.

Essay

Hey Ottawa-GAF I'm going to be moving to your fine city after Easter weekend. This thread doesn't seem to be too accurate lately, but hopefully now that its spring a meet up might be arranged sometime.

I'm all for a spring meetup! Feels like I've been holed up here in the suburbs too much this winter. Gotta remedy that.

Quick question, though. Does anyone have suggestions for Ottawa-specific job ads? I've been keeping an eye on the big sites like Indeed and the Canada Job Bank, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

Thanks.

Have you tried Peter's New Jobs? That gave me a few decent leads when I was looking last.

GSG Flash

Regarding the Future Shop closure today, the majority of the Ottawa stores are converting to Best Buy:

CBC Ottawa (@CBCOttawa) tweeted at 11:24 AM on Sat, Mar 28, 2015:
@FutureShop says stores in Kanata and on Merivale Rd. will close. Orleans, South Keys, Barrhaven stores become Best Buy.

Thanks.

Charity Village is good, since there are a lot of NGOs in town. Also, if you're interested in government work, there's jobs.gc.ca.

isny

napkin dispenser
Regarding the Future Shop closure today, the majority of the Ottawa stores are converting to Best Buy:

The Kanata and Merivale locations closing makes sense, they literally had a FS next door. The Gloucester store closing though is pretty big, the next closest store is the Best Buy over by the baseball stadium. Granted it's not THAT far by car, but getting there by public transportation is more of a pain in the ass.

I'm still shocked that this is happening so suddenly. It's too bad, as similar as the two stores were, Future Shop was much more Canadian and has a long history in Canada, it's sad to see institutions like FS and Zellers go.

What sort of large Canadian stores with American competition will go next? The Bay? Harveys? I'm struggling to come up with any examples here, lol

GSG Flash

Huge crash on the 417 westbound this morning, they closed the 416 northbound at the ramp on to the 417.

Google was reporting a commute time of 2 hours this morning :S

GSG Flash

Also in other news, apparently there was a police chase this morning involving a stolen milk truck with milk flying everywhere on to the streets.

The guy hit a police car as well:

CCzNKoXW4AIeR1E.jpg

This has been a really crazy morning

isny

napkin dispenser
Meetup sometime in the next few weeks? My exams finish next week...would love to get a spring meetup in before I possibly leave the country again for the summer.

Anyone interested?

jred2k

Meetup sometime in the next few weeks? My exams finish next week...would love to get a spring meetup in before I possibly leave the country again for the summer.

Anyone interested?

I'd be game for a meet up whenever. It'd be cool to get out and meet some Ottawa GAFfers and check out a new pub or whatever.

TheExodu5

Banned
Been quiet in here. I'd be down for a meetup sometime in the near future.

BTW, my girlfriend and I are organizing a run in partnership with the Ottawa Craft Beer Festival. The Ottawa Craft Beer Run. It's a charity run, 5K along the rideau canal. Come join us if you're interested and want to check out the Ottawa Craft Beer Festival as well. If you want to share this info with friends that would be awesome. Hoping for a good turnout!

astonish

Anyone know a place in town that sells Sanwa parts, especially sticks? My buddy wants to build a stick. He's finding the shipping from starburst and Canada joysticks high...

isny

napkin dispenser
It's been four months since anyone has posted here!

Hellloooo Ottawa GAF! How ya'll doing?! Time for a meetup maybe?

GSG Flash

Sooooo some pretty big developments for our cozy little city today. There were two really good bids to develop Lebreton presented today.

If you haven't seen it, here's the Rendezvous(Melnyk/Senators) bid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0hkcd0Syo0
http://illuminationlebreton.ca/

And here's the Devcore(Desmerais/Laliberte) bid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWZnbNz8Xw
http://lebretonreimagine.ca/

What's everyone's thoughts on both bids?

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either bid, I like elements of both. I think the Devcore group might have to trim some of their proposed attractions, like the skate park and one of the museums(seems like a bit too many attractions concentrated in one area), but their bid is definitely more fun and ambitious. The Rendezvous group has the obvious advantage of owning the Sens, though there are rumours that the Devcore group may make a play to purchase the team, I'm not sure I would wanna leave something like that up to chance, I really want the Sens to move downtown.

isny

napkin dispenser
Sooooo some pretty big developments for our cozy little city today. There were two really good bids to develop Lebreton presented today.

If you haven't seen it, here's the Rendezvous(Melnyk/Senators) bid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0hkcd0Syo0
http://illuminationlebreton.ca/

And here's the Devcore(Desmerais/Laliberte) bid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWZnbNz8Xw
http://lebretonreimagine.ca/

What's everyone's thoughts on both bids?

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either bid, I like elements of both. I think the Devcore group might have to trim some of their proposed attractions, like the skate park and one of the museums(seems like a bit too many attractions concentrated in one area), but their bid is definitely more fun and ambitious. The Rendezvous group has the obvious advantage of owning the Sens, though there are rumours that the Devcore group may make a play to purchase the team, I'm not sure I would wanna leave something like that up to chance, I really want the Sens to move downtown.

Melnyk won't sell the team. Not gonna happen.

Bringing the team downtown is going to make navigating the core on a game day almost impossible, however the benefit of this is that tourism in Ottawa may increase exponentially if we get a Landsdowne type of experience at Lebreton as it'll attract not only sports fans to the city who will come for the easily accessible games to the casual tourist who sees we have a new stadium, a new transit system, a new shopping mall (Rideau's expansion,) etc.

I'm torn. The Desmarais lead plan is probably better financed then Melnyk's struggle plan (memories of Petsmart in the keystone retail shop), but a hockey arena is the cornerstone that makes the whole thing work and the team isn't being sold in the next five years.

I don't think either proposal is really a disaster considering the push to move the hockey arena from the middle of nowhere to the middle of somewhere (two transit lines!). There was some worry that they would want to bring the massive ocean of parking along with it, and that seems to not be on the table which is nice. One of them is even planning to add a grocery store to the area, which is great since there's nothing around there now.

However, the lack of real communication with the public from the NCC on this (two whole days to look at some pretty pictures), the lack of real options (basically just "HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY and some other shit"), and NCC's history of just fucking up everything, I don't really have a lot of faith that this is going to turn out well.

Like right now all we have is concept renderings -- what happens if they go whichever option and oh all the retail they proposed backed out, the housing market went to shit, and all we're left with is a tacky hockey arena in the middle of the barren warzone that is the current state of Lebreton? Another 50 years of hoping something new will come along?

iddqd

Looking for apartments in Hintonburg is great.
Saw one yesterday that barely had a closing door and probably dead chickens in the corner and it was "a steal" for 1400 a month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looking for apartments in Hintonburg is great.
Saw one yesterday that barely had a closing door and probably dead chickens in the corner and it was "a steal" for 1400 a month.

Can you really put a pricetag on being within walking distance to Hintonburger and Suzy Q?

isny

napkin dispenser
Can you really put a pricetag on being within walking distance to Hintonburger and Suzy Q?

The correct answer to this is no.

I don't think I've been to Hintonburger in forever, man, that place is great...but Dicks is also top tier Ottawa burger...mmm...now I want a burger! Damn you living near In and Out...

astonish

As a former Hintonburg resident, it is pretty rad there.

I'm certainly down for a meetup, but work is crazy until March for me.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'll probably plan something for the end of Feb/early March. Will post some more info next week :)

iddqd

Gave up on Hintonburg, could not find anything that was close to a Grocery store / below 1400$.

Have been looking at Vanier and just found out, thanks to reddit, that its apparently a neighborhood were shit goes down.
Shit being prostitutes, evil things and crack.

Anyone with experience there?
I'm not from Ottawa so all of this is new but the crime reports are pretty clear on it being rather sketchy.
I dont want to move somewhere with a two year old and have him turn into the boomerang boy from MadMax right away.

Top Bottom