• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ottawa GAF [OT] - Thread of Lurkers, Beavertails, Government Workers. Carleton sux

isny

napkin dispenser
mxmzIyXl.jpg

More to come! But we FINALLY have our own thread!

isny

napkin dispenser
Yay! let's all go to the tulip festival

lol, more like, let's work out a meet-up where more than three people show up!

Ceylonta is the place we decided on, we just need to come up with a time that will work for everyone. Maybe the first week of October?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm in, whatever the place and time.

Where are all the other Ottawa GAFers at? We know there are a lot of them out there...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Subbed!

To start the discussion, I'm kinda annoyed at what they're replacing the Hard Rock Cafe with(another brew pub to add to the million we already have).

isny

napkin dispenser
Subbed!

To start the discussion, I'm kinda annoyed at what they're replacing the Hard Rock Cafe with(another brew pub to add to the million we already have).

The owner who has owned it since it opened has decided to retire and doesn't want to deal with the hassle of selling the place. I ate there in the spring, and one of the managers there gave me the low-down.

Has it closed yet? I should go back one more time before they do...they have some fairly decent food for a chain.

GSG Flash

The owner who has owned it since it opened has decided to retire and doesn't want to deal with the hassle of selling the place. I ate there in the spring, and one of the managers there gave me the low-down.

Has it closed yet? I should go back one more time before they do...they have some fairly decent food for a chain.

Yup it's closed, I think Labour Day was the last day it was open. I mean the food wasn't that great, but the atmosphere was pretty decent, and we don't really need another brew pub, especially in that location.

lol, more like, let's work out a meet-up where more than three people show up!

Ceylonta is the place we decided on, we just need to come up with a time that will work for everyone. Maybe the first week of October?

I'm in! Any day but the 4th is fine with me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Suuup Ottawa Gaf

Can we Start the official Schwarma/Poutine/Taco Wars now?

Because Cedars and Co, 3 Brothers and Corazon De Maiz are supreme.

Since I'm on a low carb kick as of late I've been enjoying Shawarma Station at South Keys. Get a plate with nothing but tabouleh and chicken and they load it up.

For Shawarma...the overall best in terms of quality is probably Shawarma Palace (Rideau, preferably, though I've been happy with the South Keys one as well). Downside is there are no good combo deals and their sides are really expensive. I'd usually get a plate there and make 2-3 meals out of it. Their beef is probably the best in the city. They are terrible for tabouleh + chicken...they just basically take everything else out of the plate and leave you with a tiny portion.

I never ate a fresh shawarma from this place, but Shawarma Castle has some really awesome garlic sauce...they have three varieties (regular, spicy, and oregano) which is a nice change of pace.

I never ate a fresh shawarma from this place, but Shawarma Castle has some really awesome garlic sauce...they have three varieties (regular, spicy, and oregano) which is a nice change of pace.

I've been meaning to go there and try the off menu one they apparently make with all 3 at once.

Maybe tomorrow

GSG Flash

Shawarma Palace probably has the best overall shawarma. Their garlic sauce is realy good and they give you a shitload of it to boot. Although I do like my shawarma meat to be slightly crispy and some shawarma places are better at that than others..

GSG Flash

So Ottawa GAF, anyone know any good restaurants that opened up recently? If I could add anything to this city, it would be more quality restaurants.

Silexx

So Ottawa GAF, anyone know any good restaurants that opened up recently? If I could add anything to this city, it would be more quality restaurants.

I live near Innes where there's constantly new sstuff being built there, but a lot of it are yesterday franchise chain restaurants.

Have you been to the taco place in the market building yet? because it's amazing. Also there's a Cuban place on bank that is pretty good.

astonish

Subbed. I'm glad I'm not the only one that recognizes the shawarma from Cedars & Co. (RIP (in peace!) Darvish Deli)

Subbed. I'm glad I'm not the only one that recognizes the shawarma from Cedars & Co. (RIP (in peace!) Darvish Deli)

You a student?

If so state your allegiance.

edit:

And Exodu5, I did try Castle Shwarma, up there with the Palace (and Cedars) but pricey as hell (6.75 for a small)

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn, that is pricey.

So when's our next meet?

Proposing October 4th or 5th if we want to aim for the first week of October.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hmmmm I might go visit that taco place sometime in the near future.

Also, They've put up so new renders of the renovated Rideau Centre today:

Not sure how I feel about it. I think focusing on the large anchor stores is a bit risky, however, the new food court is definitely needed, and they lucked out so much by having that building crumble to pieces. Hopefully they fast-track the construction and have it done within a year (easily possible if they throw enough money at it.)

I'm more looking forward to Landsdowne. It's really making progress, and will probably be more of a draw for me personally than Rideau (unless they get rid of all of the homeless people around Rideau...)

Not a student, but I haunt the grounds of Carleton campus (Be my O-Train streetpass bff?)

If I wanted to induce depression in myself, I could just look at a picture of Carlton. No need to actually go there.

1ES39J2.gif

I have waited years. Still won't believe it until I buy my first properly cut Le31 shirt. Simon's was rumored to be going in St. Laurent forever.

They really are the best. I have two myself and there's nothing comparable in Ottawa right bow.

edit: the 5th is good. For what it's worth I'd rather have the meet up in a bar/pub more then a restaurant.

GSG Flash

If I wanted to induce depression in myself, I could just look at a picture of Carlton. No need to actually go there.

This doesn't make any sense considering Carleton has a beautiful campus....

Even the most diehard of UofO diehards admit that.

This doesn't make any sense considering Carleton has a beautiful campus....

Even the most diehard of UofO diehards admit that.

Beautiful surroundings. It's large and cold and the most of the buildings look like they were stolen from Belarus circa 1988.

It's a lovely school

Depends on the size of the meetup.

If it's gonna be 12 or more people we pretty much need a bigger place like Heart & Crown or Maclarens. It's a bit of a dilemma for me since I'd just as soon go to a shithole with $12 pitchers then somewhere any respectable adult would rather go to.

That being said The Lunenberg might be a happy medium.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stumpakow lives in Ottawa? :O

Always thought he was a Nova Scotian.

He's a Newfoundlander but is studying in Ottawa.

As for the meet, I wouldn't worry about the size swelling past 12. :p

For pubs, I quite enjoy Clock Tower, but I'm not really sure how cheap their pitchers are...I've only ordered by the glass there. There's Pub Italia which I haven't tried yet as well with quite a selection of brews.

isny

napkin dispenser
He's a Newfoundlander but is studying in Ottawa.

As for the meet, I wouldn't worry about the size swelling past 12. :p

For pubs, I quite enjoy Clock Tower, but I'm not really sure how cheap their pitchers are...I've only ordered by the glass there. There's Pub Italia which I haven't tried yet as well with quite a selection of brews.

Sorry, I've been sick the past few days, and haven't done much besides sleep.

Does someone want to make a decision for us as to where we're going on Saturday? At this point, we've established the meet-up will be Saturday October 5th, and in talking with stump we were thinking of starting around 6-7pm.

Top Bottom