• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Deku Tree

I'm not talking nationally, just locally. There's a multitude of reasons like this in many states, but I think this could have been a factor here. Not saying she'd have won if this worked out, but the strike played into the hands of what rural pennsyltucky republicans have been saying about Philly for so long that it seems significant to me.

I agree that the SEPTA strike didn't help. Any animosity that people had towards overpaid unionized workers striking to make more money was certainly put on display right up to election day.

Agree that there were also a large number of very carefully crafted local efforts to win different local regions individually.

The Llama

Meh, Clinton's margin of victory in Philly and the suburbs was 20k higher than Obama's margin was in 2012. It wasn't Philly's (or the suburbs) fault.

Deku Tree

Meh, Clinton's margin of victory in Philly and the suburbs was 20k higher than Obama's margin was in 2012. It wasn't Philly's (or the suburbs) fault.

That must be because Philly came out strong for Hillary. When I was watching cable news on election night they were pointing out how the Philly suburbs lower Merion etc voted a lot more for Trump than they did for Romney.

Aurizen

Septa Travel Wallet drops today. So I'm still not getting how transfers work. The way they write it I don't understand. Do you tap once on one bus and then when you leave you tap again on the same bus then go on the next bus?

vypek

Are those the passes you scan at those red outlined screens? I saw someone use them at some point but didn't ask about it.

I'll probably never try new SEPTA stuff until it becomes supported by the company that mails my pass

Aurizen

Welp, just an update, a spot opened up and I just might be working in City Hall :D a buddy of mine recommenced me and I hope they hire me!

Deku Tree

I'm at 30th st station getting in a train in a bit. They tell me the only place where you can currently get a key card with travel wallet is 1234 market st. It's currently only in beta I guess.

Dont you dare say anything bad about Langhorne PA. That is the best place in the universe.

My old landlord lived in Langhorne. Israeli immigrant. Nice enough guy but not the fastest at fixing shit. The final straw was when we had a rat and he was slow to act about it. That motherfucker was huge, and smart as shit. It never took bait and ran to the basement which I didn't have access to any time anyone was near it.

The Llama

I'm at 30th st station getting in a train in a bit. They tell me the only place where you can currently get a key card with travel wallet is 1234 market st. It's currently only in beta I guess.
You can use the travel wallet with any key card but 1234 Market Street is the only place you can put money into the travel wallet currently.

Aurizen

2 interviews coming up! one at city hall one at university of science! So exited! Anyone here did IT for the City? how was it I'm leaning closer towards them.

Amish cart
Amish bakery
Amish everything

Dinic's roast pork. Beiler's donuts. Hot apple dumpling at Dutch Eating Place. Reuben/Corned beef special at Hershel's. Wursthaus Schmitz has some damn good sausage and schnitzel. Go hungry.

Just make sure to get an apple fritter at Beiler's, the donut place in the northwest corner. Probably the best $1 you can spend in that place, maybe the city. The line will be long but stick with it. It moves quick.

Hey PhillyGAF,
just came back from eating at Reading Market Terminal.
I got there late sunday afternoon so Beiler and Dutch Eating Place was closed but i grabbed the Rueben/Corned beef special at Hershel's while i recommended my friends Dinic's roast pork (i had it last time but didn't even know the name)

YVXnhaZm.jpg
qVAiQa9m.jpg
I0SwKm2m.jpg
415I5ZOm.jpg

thanks all again for the recommendations prior. it really helped to have all your posts recommendations on my phone to know what to look for =)

^^ Glad you had fun.

A Four Day Feast in Philadelphia

The surmounting culinary triumphs combined with the graceful ambience left us all in agreement: We would be back again and again, if only we lived in Philadelphia … and why, exactly, didn’t we live in Philadelphia?

Good question author, why aren't you living in the best city in America?

Autumn Colors
Another great Cory J Popp video. Why in hell is Visit Philadelphia not hiring him for their commercials? Would love to see what he could do with a real advertising budget.

Deku Tree

Wonder how the sanctuary city fight will play out. Watching the news is the most depressing that I ever remember the news being in my lifetime.

Wonder how the sanctuary city fight will play out. Watching the news is the most depressing that I ever remember the news being in my lifetime.

It's tough. While I understand wanting to step up to the plate to fight for the rights of immigrant workers to an extent, it seems to me that sacrificing the federal funding that so many minority citizens in the city rely on would be self-defeating. Can we really go to the black community in Philadelphia and say "Hey guys, we're going to stand up for illegal immigrants and that means none of you will get the federal funding necessary to keep you getting the benefits you rely on to live." It's ultimately the Republican parties fault that we're in the circumstance, but there's a choice there to be made by local leadership, and should the choice be solidarity with their belief, even if it prioritizes a smaller group over the lives of a much larger group of citizens?

The Llama

It's tough. While I understand wanting to step up to the plate to fight for the rights of immigrant workers to an extent, it seems to me that sacrificing the federal funding that so many minority citizens in the city rely on would be self-defeating. Can we really go to the black community in Philadelphia and say "Hey guys, we're going to stand up for illegal immigrants and that means none of you will get the federal funding necessary to keep you getting the benefits you rely on to live." It's ultimately the Republican parties fault that we're in the circumstance, but there's a choice there to be made by local leadership, and should the choice be solidarity with their belief, even if it prioritizes a smaller group over the lives of a much larger group of citizens?
Given the inevitable cuts to the programs most reliant on federal funding like Medicare/Medicaid/etc. it's a total lose lose situation for everyone. Though my understanding is that a not insignificant portion of federal funding we get goes to the police department, so cutting that off would be a bit ironic.

Just going off my general impression of things, my guess is they'll fight to preserve sanctuary city status as long as possible, including possible litigation. But if push comes to shove (or if most other cities have given up the fight), I think we'll drop the fight. It'll be an interesting time...

ACE 1991

Welp, someone was walking on the tracks in my backyard (I live between the Wayne and Strafford stops of the Paoli Thorndale line in Wayne) and got hit and killed. There were police in my backyard for a while during the day. Fuck.

The Llama

LOL was just coming to see if this had been posted. Fortunately no, it was not me! He's a coworker of mine but he's in a different department and I don't think I've ever met him or talked to him.

Doesn't really surprise me that someone in city government would get caught up in something like this though, the whole office was like a funeral home for days after the election.

esms

Fellas, let's talk about something uplifting.

The Wawa on 20th and Market opens tomorrow. It's going to magical to be within spitting distance of that.

LOL was just coming to see if this had been posted. Fortunately no, it was not me! He's a coworker of mine but he's in a different department and I don't think I've ever met him or talked to him.

Doesn't really surprise me that someone in city government would get caught up in something like this though, the whole office was like a funeral home for days after the election.

My wife said people were openly crying in her office. She works in non-profits.

Welp, someone was walking on the tracks in my backyard (I live between the Wayne and Strafford stops of the Paoli Thorndale line in Wayne) and got hit and killed. There were police in my backyard for a while during the day. Fuck.

Wow, that sucks! A buddy of mine has a lot of people that work for the railroads and he said incidents like these really screw up the train engineers.

Pennsylvania U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey urged President-elect Donald Trump to take immediate action against Philadelphia and other sanctuary cities for not cooperating with federal immigration authorities.

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...to-cut-funds-to-philly-other-sanctuary-cities

He want's Philly to fry for not voting for him lol.

Frankly, I'm almost more upset that that scumbag Toomey got re-elected than Trump at this point. He's such a scumbag, and is representative of everything that's wrong with Pennsyltucky.

Fellas, let's talk about something uplifting.

The Wawa on 20th and Market opens tomorrow. It's going to magical to be within spitting distance of that.

I'll probably go on Friday night! Getting my haircut after work on Friday so I'll be just two blocks away from this and I may as well hop in there.

I heard about that, didn't know it was in that area. We used to live in Strafford, just West of the train station. We just moved to Devon in April.

Was it accidental or was it a suicide? Terrible either way

Top Bottom