• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Deku Tree

The problem is that the soda tax is levied at the distributor level. Of course people buying in bulk to resell it are going to travel slightly further to save a little bit of money.

If it was levied at the consumer level then I highly doubt that people would travel to save money.

Aurizen

Anyone know anything about Tech Impact? It's a nonprofit tech place. I was offered an opportunity to study there. Since I'm still looking for a tech job the person offered to go there since there's training. I wouldn't start till the fall. But I don't see how useful it is since I went to college and would probably be in the same position after the program. Might go with Robert Half agency to hire me for temp work.

The problem is that the soda tax is levied at the distributor level. Of course people buying in bulk to resell it are going to travel slightly further to save a little bit of money.

If it was levied at the consumer level then I highly doubt that people would travel to save money.

Honestly don't think it will be a problem. The revenue collected from the tax actually exceeded the cities own estimates for what it would collect for the month. Sales are typically lower in January as is. If they aren't coming close to the monthly targets warmer months like June then I'd start worrying more.

The Llama

So early results of the Soda tax are in, and it's not coming close to brining in the money expected, and people are loosing jobs
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/S...0-percent-losses-from-soda-tax.html?mobi=true

Honestly don't think it will be a problem. The revenue collected from the tax actually exceeded the cities own estimates for what it would collect for the month. Sales are typically lower in January as is. If they aren't coming close to the monthly targets warmer months like June then I'd start worrying more.

Yeah, in typical City fashion, the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, and they released that dumb report estimating they would receive a lot less revenue than expected about a day before releasing the actual revenue collected... which was much higher than expected.

oBG3fkU.jpg

Somewhere on Cecil B. Moore

Some interesting news today:

The Marshall Project released this

tl;dr: Philadelphia is charging parents of kids that end up in jail.

Hours after that was released, The City released this statement:

So they'll be putting a stop to that practice immediately.

ZOONAMI

So, I potentially have a job offer which would require me to relocate from MPLS.

I would only be making around 40k which is actually a pretty significant pay cut but I'm potentially willing to do it for a career pivot.

What are the best neighborhoods to live in? Are there any 1bdrms apartments for around $1k?

I have a pretty sweet deal in MPLS at $800 for a 1bdrm plus den for $800.

This offer could potentially also be in Boston, but my understanding is that philly is cheaper (and warmer).

Deku Tree

So, I potentially have a job offer which would require me to relocate from MPLS.

I would only be making around 40k which is actually a pretty significant pay cut but I'm potentially willing to do it for a career pivot.

What are the best neighborhoods to live in? Are there any 1bdrms apartments for around $1k?

I have a pretty sweet deal in MPLS at $800 for a 1bdrm plus den for $800.

This offer could potentially also be in Boston, but my understanding is that philly is cheaper (and warmer).

Philly is cheaper and warmer and friendlier. There are a lot of good neighborhoods to live in but your probably gonna have to pay more than $800 a month.... tell us your price range and what kind of neighborhood you are looking for and I'm sure a few people will jump in to give you advice.

The Llama

Can confirm, Philly is noticeably cheaper and warmer and friendlier than Boston. Plus we're a lot closer to NYC and DC, and better beaches (and I don't just mean the Jersey Shore...). You could probably get a 1br in a decent neighborhood (South Philly, Fishtown, maybe Fairmount) for ~$1k a month, but it wouldn't be anything special. Still, if you had to live on $40k in any major city (and I mean no disrespect, my salary isn't a ton more than that!!), Philly is absolutely the one to do it in.

Ozone

Not sure why you would react that way. It's a one-time payment essentially to buy the card (which is also a MasterCard you can choose to activate as a credit card), and all fares on the Travel Wallet get the discount you'd get if you were using tokens. I'm extremely happy with mine.

Deku Tree

Not sure why you would react that way. It's a one-time payment essentially to buy the card (which is also a MasterCard you can choose to activate as a credit card), and all fares on the Travel Wallet get the discount you'd get if you were using tokens. I'm extremely happy with mine.

Transpass is the weekly or monthly pass? Why do they make me buy that to get a travel wallet? Metro card has been free in NYC for at least 15 years. I had to take a cab this morning instead of the bus because I only had a 20 and no change and I didn't want to pay $20 for a bus ride. Ridiculous.

Ozone

Transpass is the weekly or monthly pass? Why do they make me buy that to get a travel wallet? Metro card has been free in NYC for at least 15 years. I had to take a cab this morning instead of the bus because I only had a 20 and no change and I didn't want to pay $20 for a bus ride. Ridiculous.
It's the weekly one, so like I said it's only about $30. Another difference with the Septa Key is it's a solid plastic card and not a disposable paper one like the Metro Card. You just need to buy it once and you can set the Travel Wallet to reload automatically online after that.

The Llama

You don't need to buy a transpass to get a Septa Key as of last week. They're still rolling it out but most stations should have it for sale with just the travel wallet. You need to put at least $10 on it, but that's the only requirement.

Ozone

You don't need to buy a transpass to get a Septa Key as of last week. They're still rolling it out but most stations should have it for sale with just the travel wallet. You need to put at least $10 on it, but that's the only requirement.
Ah, didn't know that. I got mine back in January. Glad to see they're making it more widespread.

Deku Tree

Ok maybe it's time for me to buy one then.

Ron Mexico

My wife and I are thinking of selling this year and getting a larger place. We're really hoping to get $450-500k for our 2b/2ba 1700 sqft place with parking. Apparently the market is insane right now.

If you're even somewhat intent on doing this, I'd look sooner rather than later. Mortgage rates are already up nearly 75bps since October and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trend continues (albeit at a slightly(?) slower pace).

The Llama

My wife and I are thinking of selling this year and getting a larger place. We're really hoping to get $450-500k for our 2b/2ba 1700 sqft place with parking. Apparently the market is insane right now.

The prices in Francisville have gone nuts for the past year or so. Wouldn't blame you at all for selling tbh, even if they stay at the current level I doubt we'll see another year of 10% increases in price...

If you're even somewhat intent on doing this, I'd look sooner rather than later. Mortgage rates are already up nearly 75bps since October and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trend continues (albeit at a slightly(?) slower pace).

Yeah we're looking this spring/early summer. She wants to start trying for a kid this summer so we want a slightly bigger place.

The prices in Francisville have gone nuts for the past year or so. Wouldn't blame you at all for selling tbh, even if they stay at the current level I doubt we'll see another year of 10% increases in price...

Yeah it's pretty insane, given I paid only $265k for it especially.

Deku Tree

"The pay-by-phone app Meter Up will be suspended starting 12:01 am April 12. Cash, coin and credit still available at kiosks.
See PPA website philapark.org.

MeterUp Team"

Just got this email.

Wow I just signed up for this app last week. Now it's going away tomorrow. RIP was a good week for parking.

MJPIA

Subaru cherry blossum festival was enjoyable and went well.
According to a friend who is a staff member this year had the highest ever attendance so far in it's 19 year history at over 15K visitors.

Kisaya

Hi Philly-GAF. I'm planning on being in your city Memorial Day weekend, and I wanted to know if any special events happen during that time. I was really lucky during my first trip to Philly a few years back, and it fell under 4th of July weekend, Philly First Friday and Taste of Philly. Anything helps!

Deku Tree

Omg the NFL draft is already a traffic nightmare and it's happening next week.

Hi Philly-GAF. I'm planning on being in your city Memorial Day weekend, and I wanted to know if any special events happen during that time. I was really lucky during my first trip to Philly a few years back, and it fell under 4th of July weekend, Philly First Friday and Taste of Philly. Anything helps!

Lots and lots and lots

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
So the Draft is Thursday...trying to decide should I walk there after work or skip the hype and watch it from the bar.

I think Sportcenter will be at City Hall for those 3 days.

So the Draft is Thursday...trying to decide should I walk there after work or skip the hype and watch it from the bar.

I think Sportcenter will be at City Hall for those 3 days.

If you are a football fan it is a great event. My buddy and me used to go every year and it was always a lot of fun, it also seems like it will be much bigger this year then another other year. I would give almost anything to be able to go.

Top Bottom