• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Has anyone else noticed a large mob of kids riding their bikes into on-coming traffic in Center City?

I've seen this twice already.

vypek

Man how about this wind? Felt like my roof was going to blow off this morning

Yep. Pretty strong. Its recycling day in my area and there is a bunch of stuff all over the street and worse for people a few blocks from me who live on a steeper incline had their containers completely over and all the stuff on the road

The Llama

Anyone notice how badass the FMC tower looked in the rain and fog recently? It's pretty awesome.
I'm not normally a fan of signs/logos on building but the red FMC sign looks pretty badass, especially in the fog. And yeah the building generally is pretty sweet.

Well, update guys, didn't get the job with the city... So I'll be searching elsewhere.
Aw sorry to hear that man. You'll find something, keep your head up!

Aurizen

I'm not normally a fan of signs/logos on building but the red FMC sign looks pretty badass, especially in the fog. And yeah the building generally is pretty sweet.

Aw sorry to hear that man. You'll find something, keep your head up!

Thanks! I'm trying! Doesn't seem anyone is hiring at all.

PPD tweeted this

C11raCJW8AEX9e7.jpg

related, from today:

2:18 p.m.: President Trump claimed in his speech that the murder rate in Philadelphia had been "terribly increasing." That's not true. Homicides in the city – measured by either yearly murder totals or the murder rate (the number of murders per 100,000 people) – have actually been largely decreasing. The data from crime reporter Chris Palmer:
beat it, dude.

Pa. Senate Considering Bill That Would Defund Philly over Sanctuary Status

Disgusting. Philadelphia, Montgomery, Chester, Delaware, and Bucks counties should just succeed from the state. The Philadelphia metro area pays more into state taxes than any other region in the state other than Allegheny/Pittsburgh. They can come with us. The rest of the backwater shit holes are sponging on the revenue created by the Philadelphia area economy. Those cesspits wouldn't even have funding if not for it.

And they want to pass this because of a policy that makes crime go down and costs less to operate under. So much for small government.

Pa. Senate Considering Bill That Would Defund Philly over Sanctuary Status

Disgusting. Philadelphia, Montgomery, Chester, Delaware, and Bucks counties should just succeed from the state. The Philadelphia metro area pays more into state taxes than any other region in the state other than Allegheny/Pittsburgh. They can come with us. The rest of the backwater shit holes are sponging on the revenue created by the Philadelphia area economy. Those cesspits wouldn't even have funding if not for it.

And they want to pass this because of a policy that makes crime go down and costs less to operate under. So much for small government.

Yeah I'd be for this at this point considering the rest of the state made us go red. I might send a message over to my representative to try and stop the defunding.

Deku Tree

Philly should follow California and just stop paying tax revenue to the state coffers. Good thing that has no chance of being signed into law by Wolf.

The Llama

Philly should follow California and just stop paying tax revenue to the state coffers. Good thing that has no chance of being signed into law by Wolf.
Republicans have a vetoproof majority in both houses. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

That said I think this will come close but just fall short of passing.

I'm glad Seth Williams isn't seeking re-election. He even said he was ashamed. There are so many corrupt pols in this city that have the gall to run for office while under investigation that it disgusts me.

Pbae

there should be a philly-gaf meetup like ny gaf does.

Good luck with that!

We're mostly paid Russian plants pretending to live in this city to forward our political agenda.

Wait...or are we all New Jerseyans paid by Soros to make this city more liberal?...

I'll try and show up if it happens. Think it'll be fun.

Good luck with that!

We're mostly paid Russian plants pretending to live in this city to forward our political agenda.

Wait...or are we all New Jerseyans paid by Soros to make this city more liberal?...

Likewise, I would show up to a meeting.

Elwainen

Good luck with that!

Likewise, I would show up to a meeting.

glad to know people are interested, plants or otherwise. I want to take full advantage of the fact i now live in a place with its own gaf thread.

royalan

So, I was totally standing in a lunch line next to the mayor on Friday and had no idea until a friend I was facetiming with was like, "...is...is that Major Kenney behind you?"

I'm a bad Philadelphian. :(

So, I was totally standing in a lunch line next to the mayor on Friday and had no idea until a friend I was facetiming with was like, "...is...is that Major Kenney behind you?"

I'm a bad Philadelphian. :(

Lmao this genuinely made me laugh. It's alright, I probably wouldn't have noticed either.

yeah i go to college here (Pennsylvania academy of fine arts)

Oh nice, how are you enjoying your time here?

Elwainen

Oh nice, how are you enjoying your time here?

I like Philly mostly. I used to visit a lot to see my grandmother so i was kinda familiar when i came here. Only thing i don't like is theres not enough trees. I miss nature a bit.

I like Philly mostly. I used to visit a lot to see my grandmother so i was kinda familiar when i came here. Only thing i don't like is theres not enough trees. I miss nature a bit.

Yeah that's one of the drawbacks to city life, but compared to many cities I've been too Philly has a pretty good amount of green space.

Fairmount park is one of the largest urban parks in the country. Head up to the wissahickon trail/forbidden drive come spring. Or check out Belmont plateau. There's a ton of green here, and it's not too bad a hike to get there.

Really not excited to have to go back to work tomorrow after the omg amazing weather this weekend. Too much daydrinking though...

Consider yourself lucky you got the holiday off. The warm weather is coming back this week though. Time for some weeknight al fresco drinking Thursday, followed up by a lovely Friday of unseasonably warm weather induced thirst.

I'm getting pretty excited because the dog park in the Spring Garden neighborhood is almost finished.

JLynn

It's been one month since I moved back to Philly. In the span of the month I've been hired by PGW and am currently in training. Now to find an affordable apartment within city limits.

tommyguns

Might be a shot in the dark....But does anyone here in Philly GAF have a switch pre ordered in store that they no longer want? Really trying to secure one and thought it might be worth a shot here!

Might be a shot in the dark....But does anyone here in Philly GAF have a switch pre ordered in store that they no longer want? Really trying to secure one and thought it might be worth a shot here!

Just cause Paulie caused us to lose all of our money doesn't mean we're gonna give our Switches to you, not even for a fight.

bigkrev

So early results of the Soda tax are in, and it's not coming close to brining in the money expected, and people are loosing jobs
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/S...0-percent-losses-from-soda-tax.html?mobi=true

The 1.5-cent-per-ounce tax on sweetened and diet beverages is funding nearly 2,000 pre-K seats this year as well as several community schools. The city hopes it will bring in $92 million per year for the education programs and to in part fund renovated parks and recreation centers.

To hit its annual target, the city needs to collect $7.6 million a month in tax revenue. The first collection was due Feb. 21 but collection information won’t be available until next month. Early projections from the city's quarterly manager's report predict only $2.3 million will come through in the first collection. Dunn says that figure is expected to rise and the city still anticipates hitting its goal for the year.

The city predicted a 27 percent sales decline industry-wide as a result of the tax but early returns from some beverage sellers show higher losses, fueling a resurgence of the anti-soda tax coalition that fought vigorously against the tax last summer.

Bob Brockway, chief operating officer of Canada Dry Delaware Valley, which distributes about 20 percent of the city’s soft drinks, said sales were down 45 percent in Philadelphia. The company will lay off 20 percent of its workforce the first week in March.
The distributor is a subsidiary of Honickman Affiliates, owned by Harold Honickman, who helped lead the opposition to the tax last summer.

Jeff Brown, CEO of Brown's Super Stores, which manages six ShopRite stores in the city, said beverage sales were down 50 percent from Jan. 1 to Feb. 17 compared with the same period in 2016. More concerning, he said, is a 15 percent dip in overall sales at city stores.

“People didn’t change what they drink," Brown said. "They changed where they’re buying it.”

Since January, Brown said, he has had to cut 6,000 employee hours, he said. He said he suspects he will lose about 300 people, which amounts to one-fifth of his total workforce voluntarily and through layoffs in coming months

Day’s Beverages, an independent soft-drink distributor, has seen a steep decline in Philadelphia offset by a 50 percent boost in Camden, Wilmington, and Bensalem, owner David Day said.

Day also distributes to 18 other states, but Philadelphia makes up 30 percent of his market.

His carry-out business has ballooned since the tax, he said.

Day is a registered distributor with the city and required to remit a monthly payment on any taxed beverages that go on to be sold in Philadelphia. He sent payment in last week for deliveries he made throughout Philadelphia. But Day doesn’t tax people coming in to buy soda directly from his warehouse.

“We’re one block out of Philadelphia, in Delaware County, and you can’t imagine how many stores are coming to our warehouse and picking up our soda. I don’t care what they do -- they're coming here as a cash-and-carry. Our doors are open to everyone,” he said. “We don’t police where it’s going.”

Top Bottom