• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel-Art in video games, not just some squares.

Holammer

One year later and Pocky & Rocky: Reshrined comes to PC (previously on PS4 & Switch).
I tried it briefly with an emulator and have waited for it since. Do Ninja Warriors Once Again next!

Finally got around to try a new free [as in free beer] pixel art metroidvania called Bloody Hell. It's a surprisingly good top down shooter with bullet hell elements, essentially Enter the Gungeon without the randomly generated stages. It could have easily sold, but it's a school project developed by 3 Dutch students.

Holammer

Four Toaplan arcade games got PC releases. Truxton, Zero Wing, Out Zone & Twin Cobra. They are previously available on Switch & PS4

Also came across this new pixel art Metroidvania with a biomechanical theme. Developer is unknown to me, but I'll keep an eye at it.

Con-Z-epT

Pretty excited for this.

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Con-Z-epT

Never heard of The Last Spell until i saw this trailer today. Looks like a wild genre mix wrapped into a very challenging roguelite. This has me very intrigued.

Did anyone in here played it and has some impressions?

Last edited:

Holammer

Never heard of The Last Spell until i saw this trailer today. Looks like a wild genre mix wrapped into a very challenging roguelite. This has me very intrigued.

Never tried it, not the kind of roguelike I usually enjoy. It was an Early Access game for almost two years and had its full release recently. 91% user score average on Steam, so it's prolly good.

Here's a game I have my eyes on, it was mentioned in the Hidden Gems thread and Maiden Voyage made a thread for it. It's still in Early Access, but it will have console versions eventually and a Switch version is under development according to the Twitter account.
Top-notch art and presentation.

Stumbled upon this Korean action platformer awhile ago. 2023 release and there's a demo for it.

Another interesting indie game I found on WhatsOnSteam, looks like some of the isometric platformers that used to be popular in the 80s, but with modern mechanics. Can't really nail down the palette and style, kinda looks like an MSX title?

Ar¢tos

Oh no... I should have never opened this thread...
Another game to add to my (extensive) backlog.
The animation looks great!

Con-Z-epT

Oh no... I should have never opened this thread...
Another game to add to my (extensive) backlog.
The animation looks great!
It sure looks cool. Overwhelming, micromanagement, hard and satisfying are some keywords that appeared after some quick research.

I'm tempted to jump in...

Holammer

Found a dew fresh new game on WhatOnSteam, it looked so dumb & charming I had to try it.
Super Crane Bug is a puzzle game where a small bug operates a crane to lift and move blobs to form a match 3. Seems simple enough, but occasionally round blobs spawn, when they are matched the crane changes how it operates mechanically. This is Puyo Puyo with a bunch of twists.
IMO, the developer should make a 16-bit version with a story mode.

The interesting bit is that it's written in PICO-8, a virtual machine/game engine meant to resemble early 80's hardware. With deliberately low 128x128 resolution and 16 colors. There's even a demoscene for this virtual device.

Con-Z-epT

Greatly enjoying my time with "The Last Spell". It's a lot to take in at first but the game does a good job of slowly getting you into it. There is so much to consider while playing but i can take all the time i want since there is no time limit for anything. You can also pause and quit the game anytime and come back later which makes it good to play in short bursts.

I feel like this game will be incredible once you unlocked all the aspects it has to offer. Can't wait to dive deeper!

52742609381_fcdceac058_b.jpg

52743100438_83ae261310_b.jpg

52743100528_b3aab94f8b_b.jpg

52742094362_6c3aa76b1a_b.jpg

Top Bottom