• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing RE2, Mr. X is the worst part of this game.

Moses85

I played RE since 96, I'm assuming you were born in 85 so I doubt you played it that year.

You are right twice. Played RE1 DC on my PSOne in 1997 and it scared the shit out of me.

I can’t understand the criticism in regards to Mr. X Overall, sorry. IMO, if this is the biggest negative of the game, Capcom made nearly a perfect game. For me, it is beside the length a amazing remake I was sure Capcom won’t be able to bring such a amazing remake to (most) of their fans.

RE2 Remake was the First RE Game I made the platinum trophy too.

Beside the missing enemies (Spiders, Ravens) length I am happy with the game.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned a mod that removes him from the game on PC, is there a mod that just makes him less present? I don’t want to remove him but if I could dial him back a few notches that would suit me well.

I’d buy again on PC for this

Arachnid

He was great. He wasn't even in it for much of the game. Half the RPD section, never in the sewers, and only a few min in the lab.

I do wish they fleshed out his mechanics, but he was plenty nerve wrecking on the first playthrough. Now he's not even a nuisance because of how easy he is to play around.

OldGamer

Well, Xr. X in the original is basically the prototype for Nemesis and he was interesting because he was more terminator-esque. Very rarely did he display any emotion or monster-like tendencies. He was like a the original Terminator w/o guns.

Back when the game came out, I though it was and awesome new thing, and I never found him that annoying since iirc he only appeared during either Leon's or Claire's game, not both. I played first without Mr X

Also, I think it also had something to do with the original FMV of Mr. X being so hype.

Meted

H
The only time I got stressed was when trying to do the clocktower puzzle. Other than that, It was easy to manipulate his A.I
He doesn't follow you into the clock tower room, unless you mean the part beforehand in the library

Barakov

It was a bit scary to deal with him at first but once you learn his behaviors it's pretty easy to deal with him.

Simply_Bry

I play horror games for jump scares and to feel uncomfortable. This is exactly what Mr. X does in this game. So many games are way too forgiving these days, so I actually really liked it. Besides, if you progress through the game at normal speed it doesn't take very long before you can continue at your own pace. The next few Mr. X encounters are also very short, usually at the ending of a mission to add some tension.

Tbh I don't even remember having a really hard time with him at all.

Last edited:

93xfan

Thought he was the best part of the game. Had to have a plan wherever you go, but makes the game so much more intense.

Most of y'all are not grizzled survival horror vets like me, I guess.
I've played through and finished games like Alien Isolation. Xenomorph, at least, reacted to its environment by attacking other hostiles and you could distract it via various means. Mr. X is none of that. He just walks over to you and tries to punch you. He was stressful in first 10-20 minutes and just became a major annoyance. Even his footsteps are auditory misophonia at this point because you can constant hear it.

Last edited:
Well, Xr. X in the original is basically the prototype for Nemesis and he was interesting because he was more terminator-esque. Very rarely did he display any emotion or monster-like tendencies. He was like a the original Terminator w/o guns.

Back when the game came out, I though it was and awesome new thing, and I never found him that annoying since iirc he only appeared during either Leon's or Claire's game, not both. I played first without Mr X

Also, I think it also had something to do with the original FMV of Mr. X being so hype.

Now this is one problem with the game is removing Mr X's intro cut scene, he just appears all of a sudden, if you had never played the original RE2 you'd be very confused as to where the hell he came from.

Same issue with the Lickers, they just appear out of the blue, with no cool cutscene to set them up.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I found him really annoying in some parts, but I try to envision the game without him and I just don't think there'd be the same level of tension that really made the game special to me. I think the game is pretty fair in terms of safe zones that he can't enter. Also sections of the game where he isn't present at all.

I will say though that
I can't remember if this was during my Claire B playthrough or my Leon A playthrough, but he popped up underground where you use that scanner and need to charge the electric panels to open the door, and it was really freaking annoying, because I had little ammo at the time and there was only a narrow corridor to run to, so it's not like I could lose him through several doors and rooms and stairs. I was basically forced to try to run right past him and then quickly charge the panels with him breathing down my neck.

But other than that I think the pros outweighed the cons.

demigod

Now this is one problem with the game is removing Mr X's intro cut scene, he just appears all of a sudden, if you had never played the original RE2 you'd be very confused as to where the hell he came from.

Same issue with the Lickers, they just appear out of the blue, with no cool cutscene to set them up.

You’re right, normally monsters get revealed.

I found him really annoying in some parts, but I try to envision the game without him and I just don't think there'd be the same level of tension that really made the game special to me. I think the game is pretty fair in terms of safe zones that he can't enter. Also sections of the game where he isn't present at all.

I will say though that
I can't remember if this was during my Claire B playthrough or my Leon A playthrough, but he popped up underground where you use that scanner and need to charge the electric panels to open the door, and it was really freaking annoying, because I had little ammo at the time and there was only a narrow corridor to run to, so it's not like I could lose him through several doors and rooms and stairs. I was basically forced to try to run right past him and then quickly charge the panels with him breathing down my neck.

But other than that I think the pros outweighed the cons.

What scanner? Are you talking about Ada? I found her run REALLY annoying. Pretty sure i got hit by him before opening the fan.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Oh no. I was just about to buy RE2 until I saw this thread. Now I’m concerned. Question: is there a difficulty level option, and if so, does setting the difficulty on EASY vs HARD change how Mr X is?
Man, there’s a difference between difficult and annoying, and of course I’d rather play a difficult game than an easy game....but, I’d also rather play an easy game than an annoying game. So again, does RE2 have a difficulty level in the settings, and if it does, does that setting affect Mr X?

Shotpun

Oh no. I was just about to buy RE2 until I saw this thread. Now I’m concerned. Question: is there a difficulty level option, and if so, does setting the difficulty on EASY vs HARD change how Mr X is?
Man, there’s a difference between difficult and annoying, and of course I’d rather play a difficult game than an easy game....but, I’d also rather play an easy game than an annoying game. So again, does RE2 have a difficulty level in the settings, and if it does, does that setting affect Mr X?

He is not hard, I don't think anyone has a problem with that and I think some of the people who like Mr. X around here don't realise that. It's that people find it annoying having to run around the department every time the relentless bastard catches up to you.

If the game seems good to you you should absolutely get it, even if you do find him a bit frustrating he is not that big of a problem especially during the first run.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
And honestly if you're having trouble with him, it's extremely easy to cheese the AI by just running into a safe room and leaving when he does.

There's the thing, a lot of people AREN'T having trouble with him. He barely touched me throughout the campaigns, I personally just found the solution to his presence to be archaic in 2019. Running in loops around rooms or down coridoors into random rooms until you can't hear him anymore. That kind of thing should have stayed back in the days of 8bit gaming.

Its almost as if Capcom put him in the game then forgot to tell the player how do deal with him until the game was due to be released....

Programmer 1: "Oh shit, I forgot to code in X's death sequence when the player blows him away"

Programmer 2: "Ah fuck it, just make him run in circles for five minutes"

There's the thing, a lot of people AREN'T having trouble with him. He barely touched me throughout the campaigns, I personally just found the solution to his presence to be archaic in 2019. Running in loops around rooms or down coridoors into random rooms until you can't hear him anymore. That kind of thing should have stayed back in the days of 8bit gaming.
You kinda just described survival horror. Despite the copious amount of ammo that the game gives you on Standard, you're not meant to blow everything away in a survival horror game. On Hardcore (and other classic RE games), it's about picking and choosing your battles, and in the case of Mr. X, it's about avoiding that battle in the most efficient way possible. It's kinda like picking and choosing who will be crimsonheads in REmake - you're strategically formulating routes throughout the mansion (or police station) where you can avoid enemies more efficiently. In Mr. X's case, it's more dynamic because the fucker can chase you almost anywhere, but it really isn't that much different in concept IMO (i.e. use resources on lesser enemies that may become an obstacle later, clear out rooms you will be visiting frequently, etc.).

GenericUser

Is there a specific room or event that triggers his appearance, that can be delayed until later in the game?
Yeah of course, but I thought that would be obvious to anyone who plays the game. He does not appear till a specific scene (that scene differs from a to b scenario) and disappears again shortly after.

Ivellios

Yeah of course, but I thought that would be obvious to anyone who plays the game. He does not appear till a specific scene (that scene differs from a to b scenario) and disappears again shortly after.

I actually never played the game, but i will in the future, so i would like to know beforehand to avoid him as much as i can.

voidenberg

He is like the alien in alien isolation. Scary for a few minutes. Then he just becomes an annoyance. Instead of going from point A to B you need to take a detour to lose Mr stompy feet.
I don't hate him. But i'm not a fan.

Grinchy

Banned
I actually never played the game, but i will in the future, so i would like to know beforehand to avoid him as much as i can.
If you've never played it, maybe the best course of action would be to find out if you actually hate his existence first. Why are you convinced you need to avoid him as much as you can already? Because someone on the internet didn't like it?

evanft

Agreed. I dropped RE2 after a couple hours because of him. I'll probably just use cheat engine and disable him entirely. Really bad design choice in an otherwise great game.

Ivellios

If you've never played it, maybe the best course of action would be to find out if you actually hate his existence first. Why are you convinced you need to avoid him as much as you can already? Because someone on the internet didn't like it?

Because i like to explore at my own pace, and it seems he is really annoying more than anything

kingbean

I like him in retrospect. (was stressed as all hell my first play through) Though I do wish downing him kept him down for like 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds or w/e. I'd gladly use a few magnum bullets to have some freedom during the later parts of the game.

Top Bottom