• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing RE2, Mr. X is the worst part of this game.

So how do you turn one of the most recognized RE villains into a major annoyance and less threatening than Nemesis? By constantly chasing you. Slowly. I don't understand what Capcom was thinking to have him as a constant threat but this guy is pretty ridiculous to the point where I'm thinking of picking up PC version and install the mod that removes him completely from the game. I stopped playing the game for now because it became pretty comical how this guy is constantly slow-walking towards me no matter which room I'm in, and for now, he sucked all enjoyment out of this game. I can't even search a single room without him stomping towards me from another side of the police station.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I feel the same way. I never felt him to be very scary or intense. He was just really annoying.

UnusualSether

Neo Member
Horror can be subjective, so I can definitely understand where you´re coming from. He´s pretty scary the first time you encounter him in the game but I felt like they didn´t really do much to make him scarier overtime so he just becomes an inconvience rather than something that you fear after the first shock of encountering him is over.

Although hearing his footsteps is pretty scary especially during a puzzle.

Last edited:

Soltype

He's supposed to make you uncomfortable, you aren't meant to feel relaxed in a survival horror game.

He's supposed to make you uncomfortable, you aren't meant to feel relaxed in a survival horror game.
I concur....
maxresdefault.jpg

brian0057

If I wanted to play a horror game where the main villain chases me for a large portion of the game, I'd play Alien: Isolation.
Resident Evil 2 remake is a fantastic game despite Mr. X, not because of him.

I disagree, I didn't see any problem with Mr X in RE2, I liked the fact that he stayed a constant in the environment rather than phasing in and out of existence like the old days of Clock Tower or Haunting Ground.

Dacon

Banned
I found him to be an inconvience most of the time, and a source of the occasional jump scare.

People make too much of a big deal out of him. Theres way more difficult to deal with enemies in survival horror.

Remember the ghosts in SH4?

Kanojo23

He was made like that so that the game can be challenging, although I agree that it was kind of annoying.

Everyone on youtube makes a meme out of Mr. X so now it became boring that they created a mod for thomas the freaking train.

kunonabi

Mr. X is a funny thing in RE2. If you arent worried about time he's a joke. There is no reason he should ever hit you. In addition, once you understand the optimal routes you should barely even see him at all. What does bug me is having to deal with the ridiculous RNG with some of his spawns when you're hitting the speed runs hard. Sometimes, you're just boned and that's it. Overall, I didnt care for his implementation but it doesnt kill the game for me.

I’ve never really been a fan of constant looming threats in survival horror games. That mansion level in the first Evil Within where Ruvik is constantly popping up and forcing you to hide in closets was a chore.

nkarafo

I thought he was alright.

The sewers however... i did two playthroughs and on the third scenario i got bored of it. It's like, the least interesting environment to play after caves.

I dunno, I usually don't care for these types of things in games but really liked this implementation. It really made you look at the map and organically plan routes while you played, which is something you rarely needed to do in the other RE games. No longer can you always rely on simply walking back the path you cleared put, because if Mr. X is coming that way you are boned.

He sort of fills the role of crimson heads, which is to make your comfortable cleared paths very uncomfortable.

Tesseract

Banned
he's pretty lame, they could have made significant AI strides with him but instead he's basically dumber than halflife's ai (1998)

shame

Meted

Mr x is meant to mix up your return to the rpd, you should know your way around pretty well, don't run or shoot unless you have to and if you do plan ahead and make it to the nearest safe room before mr x finds you. Without Mr x the return to the rpd would just be running from one room to another picking up key items with very little to mix it up

Last edited:
He made me uncomfortable. Especially when you are walking on your tip toes to not alert the 3 lickers and then you hear these metallic footsteps and now you gotta run and all hell breaks lose.

My only complaint is he overstayed his welcome because he was used in both scenarios. Id prefer if it was only in scenario B to really spice things up like in the original. On my second playthrough I was just annoyed that i have to keep running back to the safe room to avoid him so I could go on the route I wanted. Im dreading my 3rd run on hardcore for the S+.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Mr X was one of the best parts in the game, his encounters were all really suspenseful.

Melubas

I'm torn.
I didn't mind the first scenario where he was essentially only in it for the last parts of the police station and a little extra later if you were playing Leon. In scenario B however you can trigger him really early on, like almost the first thing you do, and that sucks. It takes all the fun out of the exploration and mood when you have to constantly be ready to run laps around that lumbering oaf. And going into small rooms and having him follow you is just not fun. I ended up reloading a save where I just started scenario B and did everything else before I went to that trigger point.

Moses85

People which find him anoying didnt understand why he apears,

Let me guess, you started with the RE Series not from RE1, RE4 or the Action based RE5 was your first entry into the Franchise.

If I had to survive in a Zombie invested City or Police Station I had better to do like shooting or runnig. I would try to be as silent as possible.

I met Mr. X in my first playthrough quiet some sometime but in my second it was as *adamodeone* easy like candy from a baby *adamodeoff*

plushyp

More than disturbed or unnerved, I felt annoyed whenever he turned up. Ruins the atmosphere when I see him comically lumbering about and recharging his falcon punch.

Shotpun

This is just one of those personal preference things that divides people. I personally don't like him because I want to be able to play games on my own pace and find it irritating if the game won't let me do that. But I totally get the point of X, he is supposed to be menacing threat that always looms over your shoulder and might catch up at any moment. Some love that, some don't, that's it.

I would have personally done him differently, just make him turn up at certain points like in the original. That would have kept the uneasy paranoia on as the player doesn't know when he does show up without instilling frustration because he just won't let you play the game in peace.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
At the beginning I struggled but with time I sent the fucker to RE3. Believe me he was very frustrating at first

Orta

Banned
I don't buy into the "he's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable" and "this is a survival horror game after all" comments, I just found him to be a complete nuisance. And boring as hell too.

He would have been far more tolerable if he was confined to scripted events but his appearance just pissed me off when I was doing other things in the game.

"Oh ffs, not this twat again" I said to myself so many times.

Last edited:

ghairat

The only time I got stressed was when trying to do the clocktower puzzle. Other than that, It was easy to manipulate his A.I

PocoJoe

Banned

Let me guess, you started with the RE Series not from RE1, RE4 or the Action based RE5 was your first entry into the Franchise.

If I had to survive in a Zombie invested City or Police Station I had better to do like shooting or runnig. I would try to be as silent as possible.

I met Mr. X in my first playthrough quiet some sometime but in my second it was as *adamodeone* easy like candy from a baby *adamodeoff*

I started from original PS1 titles, didnt like 4 after they went full on action, 5 were ok as coop, 6 didnt play, 7 I liked.

I fucking hate this damn stomping bastard whom wont give me the peace to explore areas without having to run around some damn table etc.

maybe 1-2 encounters would have been ok, but after that he ruined big part of the game by always stomping around like a mofo.

When they add immortal enemy that chases you, it is not about survival horror anymore, it is just plain stupid game engineering.

It literally made alien isolation one of shitties games I have played, first I liked it but after I got my first gun and shot 6 rounds point blank into aliens brain, and it didnt die = uninstall.

That is not the way to make survival horror, if enemy that should die from head shots just attacks you like T-1000. Proper way would have been either make it die like in the movies, or just not to give any firearms to player and it would explain why player can kill it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I played the previous RE games but haven't really paid attention to this game.

Why is this game called Resident Evil 2 if it isnt a true remaster? Is it a reboot or something, cus I sure as hell can't remember Mr X from the original Resident Evil 2

Mr Hyde

Why is this game called Resident Evil 2 if it isnt a true remaster? Is it a reboot or something, cus I sure as hell can't remember Mr X from the original Resident Evil 2

It´s called Resident Evil 2 because it´s a remake of the original game from 1998, not a remaster or a reboot. And yes it´s true to the original game (albeit some major changes) and yes Mr X did appear in it. However he only appeared in the second scenario, whereas in the remake he comes straight at you halfway into the first scenario. Maybe you didn´t play, or cared about, the second disc of RE2 back in the day?

Roni

Best thing about the game for me, I'd bet money RE3's remake will feature an even worse version of Mr. X in the form of Nemesis. The game gives us enough to deal with him and he adds that extra, much necessary, tension in the game.

Last edited:

bobone

I 100% agree. I'm trying to take in the scenery and details of the police station and pick up on all the little things that made it over from the PS1 versions; but this asshole won't leave you alone. He also doesn't ever leave ammo for you when you drop him either. He left a ton of ammo in the OG game so it wasn't an issue. There is nothing to do but run in circles around him now.

Completely ruins the immersion and horror experience of the game for me. It instantly brings me back to "o yea this is a video game".
I wasn't aware of the mod to remove him, but I'll definitely look into it for future playthroughs.

kunonabi

I played the previous RE games but haven't really paid attention to this game.

He was in the B game of the original.

goldenpp72

He did his job and I played through twice. He's not even in the game long, I think as claire I only dealt with him for an hour, as long as you know not to trigger him earlier than you have to he's only a partial issue. People act like he's in the entire game persistently.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It´s called Resident Evil 2 because it´s a remake of the original game from 1998, not a remaster or a reboot. And yes it´s true to the original game (albeit some major changes) and yes Mr X did appear in it. However he only appeared in the second scenario, whereas in the remake he comes straight at you halfway into the first scenario. Maybe you didn´t play, or cared about, the second disc of RE2 back in the day?

I only played the first disc. So disc 2 made the game harder with Mr X in it? Can you play the new game without him?

Shotpun

I only played the first disc. So disc 2 made the game harder with Mr X in it? Can you play the new game without him?

Disc 1 has Leon's campaign and Disc 2 has Claire's campaign. When you start a new game with either disc you get that characters A scenario that doesn't have Mr. X at all. If you finish the A scenario then you can save the game and get the opposing characters B scenario, so if you finish Leon's A you can then play Claire's B scenario and vice versa. The B scenario is tiny bit more difficult and has some differences, like Mr. X who shows up a few times during the game.

Shifty

Run through the 1F east office near the main hall
Go up the fire escape stairs
Run back west through the waiting room to the main hall
Voila, you've lost Mr.X

demigod

I played RE since 96, I'm assuming you were born in 85 so I doubt you played it that year.

I thought it was great. Hearing his stomping always caused me to stop in my tracks and listen so I could get a good grasp of exactly where he is and what was the best route to avoid bumping into him.

And honestly if you're having trouble with him, it's extremely easy to cheese the AI by just running into a safe room and leaving when he does.

Top Bottom