• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play announced

FranXico

Looks like Sony are going to have their own Inside / Direct thing for marketing.

First broadcast is on 25th of March.

EDIT: Here it comes (thanks for the links Shin Shin ).

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
From the point of view of someone who has to write about these things, I absolutely hate them. The pace of the announcements/trailers is brutal.

ethomaz

Banned
I do prefer E3 events :(

Let's see how it turn out before compare with the boring shows of the competition but knowing Sony it will be boring like.

Last edited:

EGOMON

This is going to disappoint many, they are just reacting to the people complaining about Sony silence

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
So how much of the show will be wasted by musical instruments instead of games?

Ar¢tos

But... But... SONY doesn't communicate! They are supposed to leave us in the darkness in panic feeding of our own fears!
Those 2 threads lied to me!

The Xbox ones have been trash for the most part. Hopefully they are better next gen when there are more things to talk about.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
From the point of view of someone who has to write about these things, I absolutely hate them. The pace of the announcements/trailers is brutal.

Umm ok. It's March. It's close to the 31 which is the end of the fiscal year and the beginning of the fiscal year for the industry.

They chose to close out the fiscal with just a great year and then start the fiscal year with good news. You end high and start high.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
First one ever mean it's likely to produce interesting stuff. We know there's an unannounced game coming because Colin mentioned it. That could be there. We know that WiLD has suddenly come to light again so that could be there too. It's likely we'll see new footage of Dreams too. Those three alone would make it worth watching.

Dabaus

Banned
As a playstation fan, I hope this event sucks and get a lot of negative feedback. Sony needs a good kick in the ass with how complacent thieve been the last year. That way if/when theres another one of these they can have a banger in response.

meirl

Banned
PlayStation is a shadow of itself. Only doing what other companies do. Next gen they will fall very hard.

iconmaster

Banned
giphy.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

What do you mean by "pace of the announcements"? Do you want more or less of these? I'm trying to understand your point of view.

Tekkie

PlayStation is a shadow of itself. Only doing what other companies do. Next gen they will fall very hard.

I don't think they're a shadow of itself. Sony has traditionally been a very reactive company. That has its pros and cons, just like how Nintendo has always been chasing that lightning in a bottle, which can lead to great profits if it works out and great depths when it goes wrong.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
What do you mean by "pace of the announcements"? Do you want more or less of these? I'm trying to understand your point of view.

I mean they come so fast and thick that unless you have a team of 15 people ready to write each one, it's *really* hard on those who have to report about the whole thing.

I'm sure most won't relate to this, and it's fine. Just a personal rant.

Write up a 2000 word hit piece on Trump now.

Not my cup of tea. I don't write for Kotaku.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Good for them. Anything that brings the soulless shell that is e3 to an end is good in my book. I await the day all companies do it like this so that it’s more about showing you actual stuff as opposed to stuff years away to get a “pop” from the crowd.

Jigsaah

I don't like Inside Xbox. I don't have high hopes for this. Something about these shows feel very...phony? Is that the word? It's hard to describe.

It's just Xbox employees praising literally everything that is coming down the pipe, which I guess should be expected...but it feels like some people are not genuinely excited, they are just playing a role.

Sony does it too...especially noticeable at the E3 2018. Sony employees basically showing enthusiasm for literally every game. It's like these shows don't value independent thought and constructive criticism. I suppose it makes sense because it's a marketing tool, I dunno, I just feel myself asking in the back of my head "does this guy really play this game"?

mejin

I hope it is nothing like those pre-show they made for E3. It was boring as much as inside xbox.

peter42O

I’d wait until after this thing before defending its contents. Do you remember their last E3?

Sony's 2018 E3 was excellent from a games standpoint. Sure, the presentation and format sucked but who cares? TLOUP2 literally crushed everything that was shown up to that point which kicked off the showcase. Ghost of Tsushima, Spider Man and even Death Stranding were great for what was shown. Also, Nioh 2, Control and REmake2 were revealed for the first time.

The intermission was horrible BUT at the same time, they showed COD BO 4 and Destiny 2 expansion which were both going to be shown anyway so to get them both out of the way early was awesome for me. After that, it was one awesome game after another.

Sony is QUALITY.
Microsft is QUANTITY.

Don't know about anyone else but I easily prefer QUALITY over quantity.

As for this video showcase, im assuming that it will be for the few upcoming games and release dates for them. I'm not expecting anything major coming out of the show but unlike so many others here (and other sites), im perfectly fine with Sony being quiet and if anything, prefer it because 2019 for them is the calm before the storm which will be 2020.

Sony and PlayStation 4 is absolutely crushing all and have done so since 1995 so why any PlayStation fan is worried or concerned or whatever is simply beyond me. When they lose a few generations in a row, then there will be cause for concern and worry but until then, it's one high quality exclusive after another from Sony since Bloodborne.

Fake

I guess it is only fair. Nintendo copied Sony’s PSVR, so Sony is gonna copy their Nintendo Directs.
Is streaming news about game exclusive of Nintendo? Or VR exclusive of Sony?

Anw, can't wait. I prefer this actually.
edit: Lol at some comments here. And people still say sonygaf.

Last edited:
I know I always get over hyped for these type of shows and usually get let down.

So here I go over thinking this:

We were hoping for some leaks following GDC about next gen consoles.

Sony has a show directly after GDC to reveal the PS5 for a 2019 Holiday release.

None of that happens I get totally let down again and start waiting for the next show.

Clear

I think Sony are potentially playing this masterfully.

They obviously knew about Google's announcement timing, and if MS go hard on similar cloud type offerings at E3, why bother with anything big for this part of the year?

They can sit back, let their product do the talking, and come hard with their heavy-hitters and next platform announcements once things have quietened down.

Judging by the tech in Google's Stadia server blades, they will have their hardware specs pretty much finalized by now and have devkits with their tier 1 development teams and partners. This way they will have real next-gen stuff to show for their next big presser and have some major cross-gen titles close to release.

It seems obvious to me that Playstation's trump-card is going to be continuity; i.e. full forwards compatibility meaning that if you buy TLOU2, GOT, or DS "now" for PS4/Pro, its going to still be playable and even more visually stunning whenever PS5 launches.

mejin

I expect some new footage of Days Gone, Dreams launch date, another Remake/Remaster (maybe Demons Souls), new info on WiLD, new trailers from games already announced.

This is gonna be a whole lot of nothing.

I think that theyre starting to feel some pressure from google announcing a game streaming service, to MS doing their xbox shows every month and xclould talk, plus nintendo doing some of those direct feeds, you have to stay relevant "in peoples minds", and you dont do that by disappearing and staying quiet

Top Bottom