• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play announced

Zannegan

Personally, I really like the direct format. It gives companies the time to hoghlight smaller titles and takes the pressure off of E3 as the one and only place for surprises.

Here's hoping Sony delivers.

Pipe Dream Prediction: they announce a new gen wireless PSVRwith those patent controllers, and then either heavily hint or outright announce that this headset will be forward compatoble with their next console.

Dabaus

Banned
Realistically I expect:

-Dreams release date, probably August.

-Midevil release date, probably June or July.

-Updates on VR games, maybe a new one announced.

-New trailer for crash team racing and maybe some exclusive dlc

-A new days gone trailer

-MAYBE a death stranding tease.

-No mention of the Last of us 2 because it would over shadow days gone.

Saber

Very cool. Hope they have more to show about Medievil.

You better have good games to show...or else >=)

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't know why people think this isn't going to be good. It's the very first one so they'll want to impress and they're not going to E3 so don't need to hold back announcements or footage. They'll start with a bang in my opinion.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Episode?
I don't think this what people think it is

Dabaus

Banned
Episode?
I don't think this what people think it is

My guess is this one will be a trial run and will leave a lot to be desired. They'll probably have another one around e3 that's more in line with peoples expectations.

dottme

I’m just expecting update on game we are already aware of. Hopefully, some news about Ghost of Tsushima.

Sodapops

Neo Member
Man people on this site love to complain don't they?

Sony is silent? Complain
Sony announces a direct style showing to update us? Complain and say it's going to suck regardless, based off of nothing.

I actually like Nintendo's take on these! Directs get me so pumped, especially when they come out of nowhere every few months. I love that Sony is going to do this. I do love E3 and miss it, but lets be honest, Sony's last E3 wasn't the greatest. The company is focusing on a smaller number of games but going for high quality. Which I do love the higher quality aspect, I just hope they start taking risks and experimenting with new studios and IPs.

Sparda

Banned
Man people on this site love to complain don't they?

Sony is silent? Complain
Sony announces a direct style showing to update us? Complain and say it's going to suck regardless, based off of nothing.

I actually like Nintendo's take on these! Directs get me so pumped, especially when they come out of nowhere every few months. I love that Sony is going to do this. I do love E3 and miss it, but lets be honest, Sony's last E3 wasn't the greatest. The company is focusing on a smaller number of games but going for high quality. Which I do love the higher quality aspect, I just hope they start taking risks and experimenting with new studios and IPs.
I like Nintendo direct too but i consider many of them useless. 2 direct at year would be ideal

Last edited:
Sorry but no. When you're one of the most major gaming companies, and we're not even talking about EA or Ubisoft, but a console maker, this is fucking cheap and wack AF.

I'd be so sad if Sony lost their way and the PS5 was crap, which is starting to become heavily a possibility given all the negative signs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No news is bad news.

News news is bad news.

Us gamers are fickle and an ornery bunch, and that isn't fake news.

Last edited:

nowhat

Sorry but no. When you're one of the most major gaming companies, and we're not even talking about EA or Ubisoft, but a console maker, this is fucking cheap and wack AF.
Hello time traveler - would you mind giving the lottery numbers for tomorrow? I'll split the jackpot with you.

(I know this is an outlandish idea, but how about waiting until the first installment before judging it? Also, conceptually this seems pretty much like Nintendo Direct or Inside Xbox - are those "fucking cheap and wack AF" too?)

bitbydeath

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is there way of announcing PS5. They obviously want it to be a surprise when they announce it so can’t pull the same we’re holding an event like last time as people are expecting that.

Barakov

They've been definitely on the quiet side of late so this will definitely be a good way to tell people "Hey, we've got more stuff coming". It has worked real well for Nintendo and it should for Sony.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is there way of announcing PS5. They obviously want it to be a surprise when they announce it so can’t pull the same we’re holding an event like last time as people are expecting that.
That makes a lot of sense. But I think for something like the PS5, they want to make a bit more noise.

Javthusiast

Banned
This will be like a regular nintendo direct with couple small announcements, days gone promo and that's it. Huge game updates on last of us 2, death stranding etc. will have bigger special state of plays and there will probably be some big ps5 reveal event down the line.

Romulus

Looking forward to PSVR announcements. I bought it and its been the most surprising thing I've played all generation. Games like Borderlands 2 feel incredible, and you actually feel like you're inside that world coupled with the AIM controller.

CyberPanda

Banned
According to an insider at the communist gulag, don't expect much. He is an industry insider after all. So, let's all temper our expectations. Mmmkay?

TLZ

Good. All of them should go the Nintendo Direct route. Get straight to the point and show games. F all that unnecessary boring bloat.

nowhat

Naw, they will have their own conference for that.
I'm still calling it - reveal at PSX2019. No special invitation so nothing spoiled beforehand, but lots of hardcore fans who'd absolutely lose their shit (makes for great footage to spam all over the net, and the fans will do most of it for them) and also lots of press to report it immediately.

rəddəM

Drop us a Cell Broadband'esque type teaser for the PS5, Sony:

PDtRtZO.jpg

Romulus

Drop us a Cell Broadband'esque type teaser for the PS5, Sony:

As a Sony fan, that's hilarious, especially when you think about how it wasn't even "smartly" designed enough to oust 360 multiplatforms. Or maybe it was too smart!

EDMIX

If they had anything interesting to show they'd be there at E3.

Or they have 1 big AAA title to show thats new that clearly wouldn't warrant the cost of E3 to them. Most of us watch those Press Events online anyway, look at Cyberpunks gameplay reveal in Germany. That Youtube video has millions of views and it being at any press event wasn't going to change that. I think Nintendo and Sony have a point in just having some sort of video of all their trailers until they have something bigger to show as all it does is build up unnecessary hype or force their hands to announce something that isn't even near done for announcement (Metroid 4.....) and cost a bunch of money.

They way social media is today, it makes sense that you see some publishers just announce titles on Youtube and maybe save those press events for console announcements or when they have lots of IP to announce.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If we get this and an update on Dreams, I'd be happy.

I'm 80% certain that Dreams is going to get a release date here. It's their very first and they'll want to make it as good as possible and there are many people waiting on a date for both the EA and the full game.

Last edited:
Rebranding the previously failed attempt? I'm down. Nintendo Direct style is a million times better than the traditional route, so hopefully it flourishes this time around. Let's give it another shot, Sony.

Top Bottom