• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play announced

Ar¢tos

All I need is Medievil release date for it to be worth it (although I have no intention to watch it, I'll read what's new online the next day).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rebranding the previously failed attempt? I'm down. Nintendo Direct style is a million times better than the traditional route, so hopefully it flourishes this time around. Let's give it another shot, Sony.

Actually it's not. E3 has been around for over 20 years and has proven to being better than a random Nintendo Direct. This doesn't mean Nintendo Directs aren't or can't be great. Because sometimes they are.

FranXico

Actually it's not. E3 has been around for over 20 years and has proven to being better than a random Nintendo Direct. This doesn't mean Nintendo Directs aren't or can't be great. Because sometimes they are.
It would have been better for Sony to do both this and E3. This kind of promotional videos give products more visibility than a few trailers nobody sees 15 minutes before the press conference.
But it is what it is, looks like this is all there is right now.

Last edited:

Clear

You really have to wonder how many people watch full E3-style keynotes on Youtube or whatever, weeks after the fact when all the component trailers and announcements are also individually watchable?

I just think those sort of long-form presentations are kinda redundant in today's market.

mckmas8808

You really have to wonder how many people watch full E3-style keynotes on Youtube or whatever, weeks after the fact when all the component trailers and announcements are also individually watchable?

I just think those sort of long-form presentations are kinda redundant in today's market.

That's a good thing. There aren't many things today that people watch LIVE because of the internet (besides Sports). E3 and other events create excitement and gives people the "sports" type feel of being at an event with your friends and other gamers. It's super fun.

And then for anybody that missed it and only want to see some highlights, they can find that stuff out days or weeks later.

klosos

to be fair it does make sense for PS to abandon E3 and go for more of this style presentation , because E3 is so huge, that a lot of interesting games and experiences get lost and buried under the mounds of information and other revels. so this does make a lot of sense

Last edited:

mckmas8808

to be fair it does make sense for PS to abandon E3 and go for more of this style presentation , because E3 is so huge, that a lot of interesting games and experiences get lost and buried under the mounds of information and other revels. so this does make a lot of sense

Maybe for a year. Maybe......but not for good. Sony is too big to act as if they will get overshadowed by E3.

klosos

Maybe for a year. Maybe......but not for good. Sony is too big to act as if they will get overshadowed by E3.

I see your point mate , however look at it this way . at the moment gaming news is pretty dead , most publishers/Developers are keeping there lips sealed with E3 just around the corner, if PS show some interesting stuff later tonight ,for a good few weeks that's all the gaming community will talk about ( media , youtube videos , interviews with the devs so on ). the buzz and publicity this might produce might outweigh anything they could get from E3.

mcjmetroid

I'd rather a 30 minute direct than a boring 2 hour presentation like we just saw for Stadia and we see from Microsoft and Sony year after year. Why waste money trying to put together a show.

Ryu_Joestar

This. I'd like more a 20-30 minutes presentation rather than a 2 hours shitshow focused in 4 games like the last Sony E3 conference

Ellery

I bet this is one of those "I have zero expectations going into it" but then you are still disappointed events.

So I guess we are getting a Days Gone trailer and some Indie games announcements and maybe a new color for the DualShock 4 controller.

Ryu_Joestar

2l8kpbk.jpg

mckmas8808

Yeah the innovative PSVR, one of the best console features called "shareplay" and share button Nintendo copied are all things they got from others lol Don't pay tht troll mind.

This actually isn't true at all. What is wrong with people?

When did the new guy Shawn Layden start heading Playstation? Does anybody know?

basically tho in 2014 a lot of stuff in 2015 and 2016 was in works from 2014 and previously

so hes responsible for the lack of new announcement along with kodera. they are both looking into the cloud and streaming and all that bullshit

basically tho in 2014 a lot of stuff in 2015 and 2016 was in works from 2014 and previously

so hes responsible for the lack of new announcement along with kodera. they are both looking into the cloud and streaming and all that bullshit

The problem is not lack of games, but that they revealed a lot of games to early.

mckmas8808

The problem is not lack of games, but that they revealed a lot of games to early.

Yeah kinda like they front loaded the E3 channels in previous years and now they don't have anything new to talk about. I'd personally say that worked for Sony in the years when it mattered most. Their E3 of 2017 wasn't even that bad. It was above average to me.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'd rather a 30 minute direct than a boring 2 hour presentation like we just saw for Stadia and we see from Microsoft and Sony year after year. Why waste money trying to put together a show.

Often times Nintendo Directs are just as boring. I rather watch whatever I filter out and watch on YouTube.

Gonna be interesting seeing people praise the same things that they chastize on the inside Xbox events.

I’m not really expecting a lot to be honest...I think most of their other major first party stuff is still probably 1-2 years away which leaves vr and smaller indies/first party titles

I think it will feature a fair bit of dreams stuff and days gone and then filled out with the small stuff and a tease at the big major games

Isa

I don't mind, I want Sony to be present and take pride in their offerings. Hell there are plenty of third party titles that could get the limelight too, as there have been quite a few quality indies and jrpgs that could use some love. Regardless I'm hyped for the show and look forward to seeing it grow over the years and as hopefully learn what works and what doesn't. I'd love to see a few surprise stealth releases if possible, and maybe a reveal of whatever that hidden exclusive in development is.

right. how dare us get more than big exclusives per year?

we got 1 god of war game, compared to two last gen, we got 1 infamous game. compared to two. 1 uncharted game. compared to three

they just dont care about making many games because that PS+ money is rolling in. "oh games take so long to make now its not our fault"

just get more fucking studios you wankers.

Yeah kinda like they front loaded the E3 channels in previous years and now they don't have anything new to talk about. I'd personally say that worked for Sony in the years when it mattered most. Their E3 of 2017 wasn't even that bad. It was above average to me.

Disagree. People got tired of seeing the same games year after year. 2017 and 2018 were really bad and 2019 is cancelled because of this.

They should have had the announcements no more than 2 years before release and then also have focused on smaller games, indies, third party and VR.

right. how dare us get more than big exclusives per year?

we got 1 god of war game, compared to two last gen, we got 1 infamous game. compared to two. 1 uncharted game. compared to three

they just dont care about making many games because that PS+ money is rolling in. "oh games take so long to make now its not our fault"

just get more fucking studios you wankers.

We got 2 Uncharted games this gen and concerning: "oh games take so long to make now its not our fault".... well its true so I have no idea why your acting like a spoiled baby.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

anyone else feel like everyone is going to be massively dissapointed by this? Sony aint going to E3. They are gonna hold one of these. I dont think a lot of people will watch it and they wil defenitly not get the same amount of views as they would at e3. I dont really expect a big announcement or a big trailer for like death stranding or last of us. probably some indies, smaller titles, maybe more days gone and vr announcements.. They only showed 4 big games at last e3 so they might have plenty of smaller titles to show now

zwiggelbig

We got 2 Uncahrted games this gen and concerning: "oh games take so long to make now its not our fault".... well its true so I have no idea why your acting like a spoiled baby.

lmao that guy is also forgetting how long it takes to make a game. God dam god of war 4 took a long time to make man.. hes probably trolling
the last two ps conferences at e3 combined with the last psx were disasters

literally not a single new game announcement

why do u ened new game announcements for it to be good? The last e3 showed more in depth footage of 4 games. long gameplay video of spiderman, ghost of tsusjima and last of us. I thought that was a great e3 showcase...

mckmas8808

Disagree. People got tired of seeing the same games year after year. 2017 and 2018 were really bad and 2019 is cancelled because of this.

They should have had the announcements no more than 2 years before release and then also have focused on smaller games, indies, third party and VR.

I think me and you agree actually. Having a bad E3 last year didn't hurt them. I think more gamers remember the "Year of Dreams" Playstation E3 from like 2015, more than last year's bad E3 for Sony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom