• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play for March 25, 2019 5pm EST 2pm PST

Will they change venues like last E3?

• Total voters

Romulus

As a Psvr owner the stream was awesome, but as a ps4 only player I understand the letdown

And most people have no idea what they're missing either. I'm still shocked that in 2019 so many people(gamers included) haven't tried VR yet. Source: Frequent VR parties at my house.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
The PS VR is extremely outdated tech from 2015. Honestly games with barely ps3 level visuals in VR world at 720p and waggle controls is cool and all but it’s 2019. Kinda intense they are supporting PS VR way more than they did PS VITA.

Also this doesn’t bode well imo, big no no considering GOOGLE dropped a bomb on everyone, and APPLE just teased a jump into gaming as well. So Sony doesn’t even respond afte rmicrosoft said expect a huge E3?

Not cool Sony.

Yep, got to love that Google bomb of shitty tech that barely works. This wasn't their E3, mate and it was never hinted at being so. Not sure why you were expecting something major out of this.

So many times before it was Sony is doomed because they are silent.

Now they are doomed because Sony didn't reveal the PS5 and PSVR2 in a 20 minute show.

There is plenty to criticize Sony for. Their needless hostility with Japanese devs, idiotic censorship, lack of crossplay, etc - this 20 min update video? Not one of them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The PS VR is extremely outdated tech from 2015. Honestly games with barely ps3 level visuals in VR world at 720p and waggle controls is cool and all but it’s 2019. Kinda intense they are supporting PS VR way more than they did PS VITA.

Also this doesn’t bode well imo, big no no considering GOOGLE dropped a bomb on everyone, and APPLE just teased a jump into gaming as well. So Sony doesn’t even respond afte rmicrosoft said expect a huge E3?

Not cool Sony.

You are way way overstating the bombshell drops by Google and Apple and comparing hot air about a future event which may be great or not to a 20 minutes short PS catchup online event. C’mon...

McCheese

I must be out of touch, I thought that was rather decent. Continued PSVR support is fantastic, blood and truth will be an absolute blast. They even had a couple of flat-game announcements I'm interested in. That competitive dungeon looter looks neat, and that game with the lovely looking Concrete Genie.

Five Nights at Freddies VR seems like an obviously great idea, but no way in hell I'll be able to play it.

Days Gone however looks troubled, the quality shift between cutscenes, boring looking gameplay. Really not sold on that yet.

I'm sorry but I had not seen any of the footage shown tonight on anything there.

oh just because you haven't seen that concrete genie specific trailer means you don't know what the game looks like or what it plays like. please. we've seen what the game is. multple times. I dont need a voice overed trailer to be called "new content"

its not

Not cool Sony.
And that is why PSVR is affordable, and yes they are supporting it ready for next gen when it finally (IMO) comes out of BETA.

Vita died because Nintendo and phones, it could not compete (and the price of the fucking cards..) they did their best to keep it going for as long as they did.

StormCell

As a not-dyed-in-the-wool Sony/PS4 owner (I don't consider myself a fan), that was an acceptable presentation. I saw some good stuff in it. I think they could tone down the vulgar music/lyrics since I assume these videos are meant for gamers of all ages (I could be mistaken, though). I saw some Crash Nitro Kart, and then 10 minutes later they were dropping bombs on my moms and some f-bombs... Yeah, ok.

I give it a solid B. I feel ever the more temped to get my hands on the PSVR.

FranXico

Having watched every show of Inside Xbox I have to admit I liked this format a lot more.
How is the Inside Xbox format and how does it compare to this one?

Note that people are mostly complaining about how light it was in actual content that they wanted, the format is actually fine.

Last edited:
oh just because you haven't seen that concrete genie specific trailer means you don't know what the game looks like or what it plays like. please. we've seen what the game is. multple times. I dont need a voice overed trailer to be called "new content"

its not
VR for NMS was solid and something every fan of VR been asking for, Ironman is also MANY people had been asking for.
Mortal Kombat footage was excellent and actually sold me on the title.
It was worth it for me just for those, learn from your mistakes, if this did not appeal to you then do not watch them in the future, but you will.. and you will piss and moan in the next one.

Fbh

hyperbole? have you seen E3 2017, PSX 2017 and E3 2018?

As someone who owned a PS1 PS3 and PS3 and (for sometime a ps4) they are making me consider that.

Not much will change.
TLOU 2, Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding.
That's whats left for Ps4 as far as exclusives go.

These videos will continue to be crap until they finally announce the Ps5 and have new things to show.
People that were expecting new footage or info on these big new games have an understandable reason to be disappointed. But people who go into these expecting some big first party reveal before the Ps5 is oficial are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Sony is in dire need of new management. That was abysmal.

All of these changes that they have been making in skipping things left and right , this weak state of play, fewer games getting made, and the Japanese gaming censorship is I won't go so far as saying have destroyed the momentum they have built up but definitely slowed it, since they still have so many AAA exclusive big hitters to keep the playstation momentum going. These decision makers for Sony need to be changed.

Last edited:
IT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

No new announcements whatsoever, a plethora of unknown (and unwanted) indie games, and an underwhelming conclusion to the "episode".

DanielsM

Banned
I don't like these type of things, two big shows a year is plenty, let the games do the talking... the gaming industry has become 99% talk.

One good thing from the show, Days Gone continues to look better and better every time they show it. I'm still sticking with a high 70s - mid 80s MC score, but to me that has mini-hit written all over it.

Last edited:

Petrae

I missed it, but hearing that it was mostly VR crap, nothing of value was lost for me.

That said, it’s nice to see Sony applying itself with VR for a change, as opposed to how it basically torpedoed the Vita due to a lack of effort. The mass market doesn’t (and won’t for at least awhile) give two shits about VR, but I give Sony credit for continuing to try.

Not much will change.
TLOU 2, Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding.
That's whats left for Ps4 as far as exclusives go.

These videos will continue to be crap until they finally announce the Ps5 and have new things to show.
People that were expecting new footage or info on these big new games have an understandable reason to be disappointed. But people who go into these expecting some big first party reveal before the Ps5 is oficial are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

thats why fuck the new management at playstation. thats not why I got into the whole brand it wasn't always like this

Fbh

thats why fuck the new management at playstation. thats not why I got into the whole brand it wasn't always like this

I definitely think someone at Sony really screwed up with the timing of some announcements. Every single one of the games they have left were announced WAY too soon. And since they are the final big releases for the system it has left them in a position where they have nothing to show or announce.

The lineup itself seems fine which to me is what counts and why I won't write off the Ps5 just yet. But hopefully they do a better job with their communication next gen

McCheese

Not cool Sony.

You had me thinking you might have actually tried VR, but then you went and mentioned waggle controls. ;)

Folks who are disappointed by this are forgetting the PS5 is like 12 months away, almost all of their resource right now is beavering away on that and nobody will give a shit about mobile games and streaming when they reveal what God of War, the next GTA, Final Fantasy 7 remake etc look like on it.

Until then I'm happy plodding along with indie games and cool new PSVR experiences.

I definitely think someone at Sony really screwed up with the timing of some announcements. Every single one of the games they have left were announced WAY too soon. And since they are the final big releases for the system it has left them in a position where they have nothing to show or announce.

The lineup itself seems fine which to me is what counts and why I won't write off the Ps5 just yet. But hopefully they do a better job with their communication next gen

but then they'd have like 1 announcement per year. that would be pretty bad to have 2 HOUR LONG E3S to show off 1 game. why not just acquire more studios to match previous generation output

But who cares right? am expecting consoles to be consoles. not a cheap PC. thats what they are now. Consoles and PC share 99% of games. 1% are exclusive. 99% are pc games why even bother with consoles anymore? beyond me. the small amount of exclusives don't justify it for me

the fact is that they are making all their money from online spending. PS+, PS Now games like fortnite. microtransactions. they are no longer consoles in the traditional terms. even PS3/XBOX had a good amount of exclusives to justify owning them

but PS4/XB1. and future consoles? they will just be an easy conveniently PC for parents to buy to their kids.

Psykodad

Banned

Well, this post is kind of ignorant and narrow-minded.
You do realize that what you're complaining about is due to limitations of the console-hardware, right?

Fnord

And most people have no idea what they're missing either. I'm still shocked that in 2019 so many people(gamers included) haven't tried VR yet. Source: Frequent VR parties at my house.

I'm less surprised that there are so many people that haven't tried it than I am that so many people angrily write it off as "not real gaming" without having tried it. Hey, I don't particularly care for online competitive games, but I don't go around shitting on them because they're not my thing.

DanielsM

Banned

That's pretty much the normal for a while there, Crackdown 3 for example was announced in 2014. Zelda was announced in 2012 for the Wii U.

Days Gone was announced to me a year too early in 2016.
The Last of Us II was okay, everyone knew it would be a while, announced in 2016.
Ghost was announced in late 2017 officially, to me about right.
Death Stranding was probably announced a year early at E3 2016.

The extra time for Days Gone made sense, meaning Spiderman, God of War and Detroit. My guess is Sony is stacking games at this point or getting close to it - already going on year three for Guerrilla Games (full production for Horizon was a little over 3 years) as well, and whatever Bluepoint is working on is now year 2. Japan Studio has been quiet for some time. I would say Death Stranding was shown too early but it was obvious why that was. Basically, Sony is setup for 2 big games, and 1 middle tier game... and a few smaller games every year. Its load up time for end of PS4 and PS5 time now.

The amount of games coming from Sony over the next 30 months is going to be quite large, even by their standards.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Awesome first episode. I can't wait for Blood and Thruth, Jupiter & Mars, Everybody's Golf and Trover Saves the Universe. Iron Man VR looks cool too, and guess I will finally give No Man's Sky a shot now that's in VR.

All I need now is a Gravity Rush VR announcement, just a patch for the remaster of the 1st game would be more than enough.

Fox Mulder

VR is nice for people that love it, but I just tune it out.

I also figure they're saving for next gen and they feel like they've shown everything else enough. Kudos to anyone that has played every major exclusive and has nothing else to play though.

Last edited:

Tumle

If you don’t own a psvr I can understand why you would be a little disappointed..
But I’m fucking thrilled at seeing all these vr announcements!
Can’t wait for NMS Vr support!

The amount of hyperbole in this thread because they show something you don’t like is pathetic and very childish..
Next time there is a nintendo direct please remind me to jump in there and tell everyone how trash it is, since I have no interest in Nintendo games ;)

They showed some neat new titles for flatscreen too, but I understand it’s just indie games and they are not for hardcore gamers like you..

Was the showing the best ever? No

Was it just trash after trash announcements? No definitely not either..
Please put on your big boy pants and act like an adult, if nothing they showed interested you..
it’s ok to be disappointed, it’s another thing to act like sony ruined your life with this 20 min showing..

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm less surprised that there are so many people that haven't tried it than I am that so many people angrily write it off as "not real gaming" without having tried it. Hey, I don't particularly care for online competitive games, but I don't go around shitting on them because they're not my thing.

Yeah, its kinda the age old thing of "I don't own it, so it must suck and you shouldn't like it either." lol

They say opinions can’t be wrong, but you’ve just proven they can be terrible.

Clear

The haters are only out in force on this because, lets face it, Sony's opposition are doing even less!

I mean c'mon, Xbox is hardly putting pressure on them in terms of content.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Weird that on top of being another mega seller with tons and tons of first and third party games (one of the great PlayStation releases) that again won by far and large the market... we are at the point that we would not “write PS5 off just yet” instead of thinking at how PS5 would raise the bar next time (or not... but I would think there is far more positive to be thought about than negative... Wii U owners were far less negative thinking about NX lol) ;)...

Sony fanboys are becoming the same scums as Nintendo Wii U era fanboys...this says a lot...

Damn, still can't believe my next console might be a Xbox

Romulus

It's funny that some people are triggered about this. State of Play can't have one show out of the year that's heavy on PSVR? I guess all of them have to be regular PS4 games or "the base" will get upset.

Sony fanboys are becoming the same scums as Nintendo Wii U era fanboys...this says a lot...

Damn, still can't believe my next console might be a Xbox

Be careful using words like "scums"; that kind of talk got me banned once already on this site. You don't have to be too harsh with that kind of language to get your point across.

Last edited:
Top Bottom