• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation State of Play for March 25, 2019 5pm EST 2pm PST

Will they change venues like last E3?

• Total voters

Clear

This is factually not true. If you don't believe me, then ask Kagey K Kagey K if I'm a Sony hater or not.

Spoiler Alert: I'm not.

Why did you assume I was addressing you?

I cannot believe that people are overreacting to this, I mean if you watched the show you'd know that this is going to be an ongoing thing, so expecting a giant full-year info dump was never on the cards.

Why did you assume I was addressing you?

I cannot believe that people are overreacting to this, I mean if you watched the show you'd know that this is going to be an ongoing thing, so expecting a giant full-year info dump was never on the cards.

It sounded like you were generalizing the outrage as "just sony haters being sony haters". My bad if that's not what you intended with the post. With that being said, the State of Play was a complete disappointment, by any standard.

rəddəM

I thought it was a smart move. They started it with what the majority of 'gamers' don't care about and the whining in this thread proves the point.
C'mon fellow gamers, you're better than this. Just because it wasn't what you wanted or cared doesn't mean it's bad.
It's valid to direct the spotlight towards the indie/VR side of the stage for a little bit. It just show the diversity of the PS ecosystem.
There will be others State of Play with a different focus, we just have to be patient.
The next one probably will focus on our announced and unannounced AAAs.

chinoXL

I thought it was a smart move. They started it with what the majority of 'gamers' don't care about and the whining in this thread proves the point.
C'mon fellow gamers, you're better than this. Just because it wasn't what you wanted or cared doesn't mean it's bad.
It's valid to direct the spotlight towards the indie/VR side of the stage for a little bit. It just show the diversity of the PS ecosystem.
There will be others State of Play with a different focus, we just have to be patient.
good to see someone that thinks this way..it wasn't groundbreaking but i dont think it was their intention to. cool to see VR getting so much love. i'm looking forward to the next show, i expect some heavy hitters to be shown closer to E3 time

Be careful using words like "scums"; that kind of talk got me banned once already on this site. You don't have to be too harsh with that kind of language to get your point across.

I'm not targeting anyone but a type of attitude that the vast majority agrees is toxic and stupid. Unless there are 10 years old kids on GAF and I'm unaware of that.

DanielsM

Banned
I didn't expect anything and i'm still shocked how bad it was.

I'm shocked that people are shocked, they're winding down PS4, ramping up PS5 and trying to get more people interested VR.

Right now sounds like a late 2019 to mid possibly late 2020 PS5 release. Sounds like when the hardware is available which can go out is when you get PS5. Holding titles and other titles that need some more time in the oven before reveal.

MLB The Show 19 - March 2019
Days Gone - April 2019
Dreams - 2019
Concrete Genie - now Fall 2019
The Last of Us II - probably winding down on development, I would not be surprised if they're partially onto another title now (hold title)
The Ghost of Tsushima - 3+ years into full development, maybe longer (might be hold title)
God of War II - probably looking at 2021-2022
Horizon II / Killzone / Something Else - they're probably two years into its next product, also massively increasing headcount from 250-400, and they said they want to release games faster, expecting two games with the next in the 2020-2022 range. (my guess, Horizon II and probably a much bigger Killzone)

Japan Studios - pretty quiet since Knack 2, the rumor was a 3 game contract with FromStudio back in the Bloodborne days - Bloodborne, Deracine, and ?
Polyphony Digital - GT
Bend Studios - probably already in pre-production on next title (over 100 employees now)
San Diego Studio - lots of hiring there, rumor was floated that in addition to MLB possibly an Uncharted game??
Bluepoint - lots of rumor there i.e Demon Souls (maybe wishful thinking), we'll see... they're in year 2 of whatever it is... I think up over 100 people now.

Give it 6-12 months and its going to be non-stop for about 3 years. I think its just a matter if Sony slots another big game in summer/early Fall of this year i.e. The Last of Us II. You figure most of these titles might be on PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5.

Last edited:

I think it's painfully obvious they don't have anything to show since they haven't announced their next console. VR focus isn't out of the blue, PS5 will feature VR and they're trying to sell it. Don't expect any unannounced AAA game until the PS5 announcement.

rəddəM

I think it's painfully obvious they don't have anything to show since they haven't announced their next console. VR focus isn't out of the blue, PS5 will feature VR and they're trying to sell it. Don't expect any unannounced AAA game until the PS5 announcement.
I'm optimistic about PS5 having BC (patched/updated PS4 games) and that the PS4 will have new AAAs alongside PS5 reveal/launch/first year on market. Sony needs to do this so that they can have the excuse of not supporting anymore due to generation difference, then everybody would theoretically more easily upgrade.
100M PS4s and just killing it without any form of support (BC, new games) would be very dumb.
I don't think Sony is just gonna strong-arm us to PS5.
I think it'll probably be a more friendly XBox One S - XBox One X approach, but the S being PS4 and the X PS5.

Last edited:
I'm optimistic about PS5 having BC (patched/updated PS4 games) and that the PS4 will have new AAAs alongside PS5 reveal/launch/first year on market. Sony needs to do this so that they can have the excuse of not supporting anymore due to generation difference, then everybody would theoretically more easily upgrade.
100M PS4s and just killing it without any form of support (BC, new games) would be very dumb.
I don't think Sony is just gonna strong-arm us to PS5.
I think it'll probably be a more friendly XBox One S - XBox One X approach, but the S being PS4 and the X PS5.

I could see something like you're mentioning being true, it would be smart for Sony and the architecture probably allows it so why the heck not. It would allow for "smaller" scale games being sold across multiple platforms and that's ideal. But I just don't see them announcing anything before the next console, it would get in the way for the hype. They need big games for the launch-ish window. Look at the Switch and how well it did in its first year basically on the strength of two titles. Maybe Death Stranding could be the PS4/PS5 BOTW in that you could play either way but it's more closely associated with the newer console. But they need their Mario Odyssey, something that makes the fanbase go like yeah I need to buy a PS5.

Think about it this way. Let's assume Bloodborne 2 is in the works and how close we are to the PS5 being announced. Don't you think it's more likely they'll wait for the PS5 and announce Bloodborne 2 together with to get people hyped for the new thing? That's way more likely than announcing it now and then having a footnote like yeah you could play that on the PS5.

I'm happy, release dates for Everybody's Golf VR, Vacation Simulator and Blood & Truth (finally) the only thing(s) that could of been better was less shitty music thrown over top of the Mortal Kombat 11 footage and maybe a release date for the early access of Dreams. Other than that, it was on point with my expectations. Iron Man was unexpected, we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
This is factually not true. If you don't believe me, then ask Kagey K Kagey K if I'm a Sony hater or not.

Spoiler Alert: I'm not.

I really don’t understand why you love singling me out in these conversations. I don’t know if you want me to be your best friend or your frenemy.

I will agree you are not a Sony hater by any stretch of the imagination (I think your giant man crush on Kojima dictates you must love everything he is associated with,) so I will admit I was surprised to see you run so hard against the presentation they showed.

I do agree what they showed seemed, lacking.... but we as gamers always want the moon when they promise nothing and shoot for the stars when they announce even less.

We are coming into the end of a generation, there aren’t many guns left to fire.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the CTR remake news, seems like there’s going to be a lot of content especially on the PS4.

peter42O

Underwhelming show but my expectations were very low so it was fine for me. No interest in either but Blood & Truth and Concrete Genie looked great for what they are. Days Gone is my number one most anticipated game since E3 2016 but not a fan of them showing off more details of the story. Would have preferred them to not talk about that at all. MK 11 had a great trailer.

Overall, underwhelming but I do prefer the Nintendo Direct style format of game after game after game as opposed to Inside Xbox which I don't like at all.

odhiex

This is a bit below my expectations (my initial expectation was pretty low already). It has good news for VR owners, a bit low on non-VR exclusives. Overall it is an okay first show.

But hey... it's a good start. To be honest, you will never satisfy everyone with any kind of presentations these days. I hope Sony is taking some notes on what works and not to improve the next one.

I still believe the best ones are yet to come.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Still poor wording, but yes it looks like PS4 will have an “exclusive track*” and maybe some skins*

*They may not be exclusive anymore, depending on when you are reading this, and welcome new gaffers from 1 year in the future.

Also, exclusive karts.

Neolombax

Was honestly hoping new games being announced which arent PSVR. I get that PSVR has a following but man cant help to feel a bit underwhelmed. I'm happy NMS is finally getting VR, the fans have been asking for quite some time .now

LMJ

I have to say, if Sony spaces these out throughout the year I think this is a really smart idea...(take a page out of the Big Ns playbook)

Sur I'll miss the big shows hopefully they will return at some point, but it's kind of cool getting a Mini E3 like show here and there...

Hopefully they have a big one planned for around E3, showing off a lot of gameplay

Awesome they showed the PSVR love, concrete genies looking amazing, may finally get No Man's Sky now considering how big it is, and blood and truth looks awesome.

Was already going to get Days Gone so nothing new there lol

but what is the point of this? they are literally just taking previous announcements. putting out trailers we already seen. and then gathering a couple indie devs for announcements that they would just have been youtube videos and making an event out of it

they aren't making a nintendo direct. they are literally making an event out of thin air just for the hell of it.
The structure is exactly like Nintendo Direct. It was their first one.

Top Bottom