PlayStation Store codes for full games will no longer be provided to retailers

Shagger

Neo Member
Mar 23, 2019
Fife, Scotland
Honestly, this doesn't bug me because I would not go to a store to buy a code, I'd buy a physical copy instead. I wanted a digital copy, I'd buy it from the digital store.

With all due respect to anyone who dose buy these things, they are a pointless waste of time.

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
Sounds like that makes sense to me.

Well, if you are Sony, this is a good thing. But as a consumer, which I guess you are... Then you get crippled by not being able to find it cheaper anywhere on the web.

It's like gamestop had monopoly on selling physical games.

Making sense from a business view or making sense as a customer are two very different things. I guess Sony is on a roll of making anti consumer practices, and wants to see how far they can go.

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
Well, if you are Sony, this is a good thing. But as a consumer, which I guess you are... Then you get crippled by not being able to find it cheaper anywhere on the web.

Making sense from a business view or making sense as a customer are two very different things. I guess Sony is on a roll of making anti consumer practices, and wants to see how far they can go.

I just can't make myself care about that though. I get what you are saying. Maybe because I've bought enough games on PSN during sales, that I don't feel like I'm losing out.

Shin

Feb 4, 2013
Official statement via Eurogamer:

"We can confirm that as of April 1, 2019, Sony Interactive Entertainment will no longer offer full games through SIE's Global Digital at Retail program. This decision was made in order to continue to align key businesses globally. To support full games and premium editions, SIE will introduce increased denominations at select retailers. DLC, add-ons, virtual currency, and season passes will still be available."

demigod

Apr 17, 2007

So which PS4 games did you buy at B&M digitally that's cheaper than the PSN store?

TimFL

Nov 3, 2013
Germany
Who actually goes in-store to buy a digital game? Never heard of this before. PSN credit I understand, and that's still available.
Stores usually have them cheaper (promotions etc) and some love the convenience of digital copies. I'm fully digital myself and I always hop on a code deal when it happens and is substantially cheaper than the PS Store (which isn't hard).

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Lord of all gifs and memes
Oct 20, 2015
Sydney
Stores usually have them cheaper (promotions etc) and some love the convenience of digital copies. I'm fully digital myself and I always hop on a code deal when it happens and is substantially cheaper than the PS Store (which isn't hard).
I didn't know they existed. Also I always thought the convenience of digital is actually not having to go to in-store :D