• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

wondermega

I've gotten back into Rez Infinite for some reason. Back when I got it, I beat the 5 levels and played Area X but I never really delved further into it until now.

I can't believe I didn't know about the Overdrive. I was charging those up and never using them this whole time. I also didn't know until just now that you can play with a Move controller. This whole time I thought it was dualshock only. I've been so clueless with this game for some reason haha
what! both of those things are news to me..

Anyone with ultrawings can tell me if it gets better past training? The music sucks and it doesn’t feel like Pilotwings at all. Right now regret getting it over operation warcade. Can you do refunds on the PS store like steam? I did actually get nauseous dive bombing my ultralight into the ground 😂 that eagle in Paris game looks good too but ultrawings had the best reviews of the three.

Last edited:
Anyone with ultrawings can tell me if it gets better past training? The music sucks and it doesn’t feel like Pilotwings at all. Right now regret getting it over operation warcade. Can you do refunds on the PS store like steam? I did actually get nauseous dive bombing my ultralight into the ground 😂 that eagle in Paris game looks good too but ultrawings had the best reviews of the three.
I can't tell you about Ultrawings but I bought Operation Warcade after noticing a physical copy on Boxing Day and although the depth of it all only goes so far, its pretty fun, just something simple and fun to pickup and play whenever with the PS Aim controller.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Played some Firewall yesterday after a break, and met many new players with low levels. The game is continuing to sell to new PSVR owners and there was never a problem with empty lobbies, they immediately got full.

There is also a new free map out if someone missed it.

That word of mouth is spreading. I also bought it due to all the good talk on this site.

Shmunter

Played some Firewall yesterday after a break, and met many new players with low levels. The game is continuing to sell to new PSVR owners and there was never a problem with empty lobbies, they immediately got full.

There is also a new free map out if someone missed it.

Just want to add, the new map comes in a game update. Just in case anybody goes crazy looking for it in the store, you won’t find it.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Just wish I could find a cheap AIM controller. Would love to hop into Firewall and a few other AIM-used games - but I can't justify the price atm.

8bitGamer

Neo Member
So I got a PSVR for Christmas. And so far I've tried 3 of the "must play" games...

First I tried AstroBot after all the hype and praise it's got recently as a defining game for VR. I was wowed by the 3D effect. Just turning my head 360 degrees and seeing behind me was amazing. But then the camera started moving and I got nauseous. After an hour I thought OK i'm just playing a mario clone. I only played 2-3 stages, but I feel like it could be played in 2D at this point.

Second I tried SuperHot - What an incredible experience! Independence of my arms(the weapons) with the move controllers, ducking behind objects, etc. This feels like what VR was made for! I beat it in three short play sessions. But it was so much fun.

Third I played RE7 - Another game you play with regular controller. I played for an hour and there was minimal action. Just one enemy? Mostly just walking around a stage with very little to do. OK I get that it's scary to feel you're in a ghost house, but would it be so much different on a large projection screen?

At this stage it feels like games played with the regular dualshock the VR effect is nice but something I might grow tired of. Games like SuperHot where you physically need to move your arms and duck under bullets make the VR aspect much more realistic and satisfying as a new gaming experience.

Anyone else feel the same? What other games would you recommend for me given my experience?

Wonko_C

So I got a PSVR for Christmas. And so far I've tried 3 of the "must play" games...

First I tried AstroBot after all the hype and praise it's got recently as a defining game for VR. I was wowed by the 3D effect. Just turning my head 360 degrees and seeing behind me was amazing. But then the camera started moving and I got nauseous. After an hour I thought OK i'm just playing a mario clone. I only played 2-3 stages, but I feel like it could be played in 2D at this point.

Second I tried SuperHot - What an incredible experience! Independence of my arms(the weapons) with the move controllers, ducking behind objects, etc. This feels like what VR was made for! I beat it in three short play sessions. But it was so much fun.

Third I played RE7 - Another game you play with regular controller. I played for an hour and there was minimal action. Just one enemy? Mostly just walking around a stage with very little to do. OK I get that it's scary to feel you're in a ghost house, but would it be so much different on a large projection screen?

At this stage it feels like games played with the regular dualshock the VR effect is nice but something I might grow tired of. Games like SuperHot where you physically need to move your arms and duck under bullets make the VR aspect much more realistic and satisfying as a new gaming experience.

Anyone else feel the same? What other games would you recommend for me given my experience?

Having your hands inside VR completes the experience.

-Beat Saber: ('nuff said, get it nao)

-Blasters of the Universe: You have a customizable gun on one hand, a shield on the other. Enemies attack by bullet curtains that you have to dodge and weave (or shield) through.

-Knockout League: It plays almost exactly like Punch-Out!! but with you physically dodging, ducking, blocking and punching. It also has a gym that's a pretty good workout.

-PixelJunk Dead Hungry: Zombies are approaching your food truck and the only way to stay alive is by preparing them fast food and throwing it at them. This one is often overlooked but it's a lot of fun to play IMO and fun to watch others frantically fumbling to make the food as fast as they can.

-Mortal Blitz: It's basically Time Crisis in VR, but instead of letting your foot off the pedal to pop from cover you have to physically lean or crouch behind cover, and you have a sort of laser whip that stuns enemies in the air so you can finish them off with your guns, Bulletstorm-style. Lacks scenery variety though, I'd recommend get it on a sale.

That being said, seated dualshock games can still be cool, especially Astro Bot. It will get better and keep surprising you the more you progress, it has some really cool gadgets that use your tracked controller so it does have its ways to take advantage of VR.

Last edited:
PSVR Demo Collection 3 is out now on PS Store!

Bad news: Majority old games from the previous collections or standalone demos previously available :messenger_pouting:

Astro Bot, Superhot, Headmaster, RE7:The Kitchen, Job Simulator, Moss, The Persistence, Thumper, Battlezone.

I think the only new one is Superhot, all the others are old.

Buuu!!

After having it borrowed from a friend, I bit the apple on the January Sale for Skyrim VR... It is SO ugly... but goddamn, is it awesome to double wield the sparks-spell and grill a motherfucker like the emperor himself XD.

SlowSophisticatedFanworms-small.gif

Also got Raw Data and tested one level with the Ninja Lady Character... that swordplay is immensly fun!

I just platinumed Astro Bot.

I usually don't enjoy extra challenges in games, but in this game it made me want to play more. Reminded me of the time trials in the Crash Bandicoot games.

Last edited:
Just a quick post for me but I caved and picked up Ace Combat 7, I'm aware like Gran Turismo its not a full PSVR game but I couldn't stay away. I know it won't warrant the price tag for everyone for the 45 mins worth of VR missions but I've been playing and replaying for abit and this is an entirely new amazing experience for PSVR. Its the Star Wars X-Wing mission heightened, theres nothing like dog fighting and flying through the clouds using them camouflage, only to have your canopy glass covered in droplets of water from the condensation from the clouds . Its very fast paced, completely open in maneuverability and not for the faint of heart for those people who don't do well with heavy movement in VR.

I've gotten very comfortable with being in VR with heavy movement for as long as I want but when first playing it threw me abit, I was ok with it once I adjusted but this game is as heavy as it gets for movement in PSVR, if you can handle this you can handle anything and if you manage to hang in alright, you're treated to one of the most amazing VR experiences yet.

RavageX

I really, really wish they would make something in the vein of this and GT in FULL VR.....I bet we will see that in the PS5. Probably already working towards it.

Just a quick post for me but I caved and picked up Ace Combat 7, I'm aware like Gran Turismo its not a full PSVR game but I couldn't stay away. I know it won't warrant the price tag for everyone for the 45 mins worth of VR missions but I've been playing and replaying for abit and this is an entirely new amazing experience for PSVR. Its the Star Wars X-Wing mission heightened, theres nothing like dog fighting and flying through the clouds using them camouflage, only to have your canopy glass covered in droplets of water from the condensation from the clouds . Its very fast paced, completely open in maneuverability and not for the faint of heart for those people who don't do well with heavy movement in VR.

I've gotten very comfortable with being in VR with heavy movement for as long as I want but when first playing it threw me abit, I was ok with it once I adjusted but this game is as heavy as it gets for movement in PSVR, if you can handle this you can handle anything and if you manage to hang in alright, you're treated to one of the most amazing VR experiences yet.

How is the flat screen content? Maybe worth a buy if the regular game is also good?

Wonko_C

I've only played the demo and curiously I flew like a madman doing lots of rolling, turning, etc. and nothing fazed me... Except for the part where you're taxiing in the aircraft carrier, before taking off. That always feels weird, like it could give me nausea if it lasted a bit longer.

Last edited:
How is the flat screen content? Maybe worth a buy if the regular game is also good?
To be honest I haven't tried the flat screen gameplay yet, I've had friends visiting from out of town as I throw on Highway to the Danger Zone in the background on Spotify and play, the thing is nobody else wants to try out of fear of getting sick with all the movement. I personally haven't played an Ace Combat game probably since the PSone era, so Ace Combat 3? but judging by the layout of the missions in VR and storyline of what I played in VR its hits all the right notes of what made what I used to play fun. I will give the flatscreen content a chance but for now I'm too into the PSVR content in this game.

If people can't warrant the regular price tag put this one at the top of your list to watch for a price drop as it should be a part of your PSVR collection at some point.

Makariel

I just picked up Fisherman's tale and beat saber. Started playing with the latter and after a few levels I'm already sweating as if I'm doing a workout :D fisherman needs to wait until I cool down a bit ;)

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I just picked up Fisherman's tale and beat saber. Started playing with the latter and after a few levels I'm already sweating as if I'm doing a workout :D fisherman needs to wait until I cool down a bit ;)

It is a great game to get you moving. The only thing I don't like about the game is the "limited movement" missions. Basically you have to move as little as possible and it suuuuuucks.

Makariel

Just completed the Fisherman's tale. Cute little puzzle game with nice use of scale. The tracking was not the greatest though and I really would have preferred free movement over warping around. If you have any experience with old fashioned adventure games this won't take you long to get through.

Most puzzles are very simple, just a few times where I scratched my head for a few seconds, but solutions are generally quite obvious. So don't get this for the challenging gameplay, only get if you're in the market for a whimsical adventure game that won't last much longer than 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Makariel

Completed red matter today and it is also my first platinum trophy. Just to show how easy of a platinum this is :D

The game looks incredible, I'm a sucker for old timey Sci fi and the art style here is right up my alley. You are sent onto a moon near saturn to infiltrate a research base in an alternative history cold war setting. Quite quickly it is clear something is rotten on the moon of Saturn and you'll spend a few hours figuring out what is going on. I'm not going any further, I don't want to spoil the experience.

Played immediately after the fisherman's tale the difference in quality is striking. Everything just works that bit smoother, the tracking is way better and some of the puzzles got me thinking for a bit, even though they are still on the easy side for most of the game.

The price is also a bit higher than the fisherman's tale but I think its more worth the 25 quid I spent on it than the fisherman was for a tenner. If you're not the biggest fan of retro sci-fi or adventure /puzzle games I'd recommend waiting for a sale.

Now I'm waiting for mage's tale to be released.

Shmunter

Completed red matter today and it is also my first platinum trophy. Just to show how easy of a platinum this is :D

The game looks incredible, I'm a sucker for old timey Sci fi and the art style here is right up my alley. You are sent onto a moon near saturn to infiltrate a research base in an alternative history cold war setting. Quite quickly it is clear something is rotten on the moon of Saturn and you'll spend a few hours figuring out what is going on. I'm not going any further, I don't want to spoil the experience.

Played immediately after the fisherman's tale the difference in quality is striking. Everything just works that bit smoother, the tracking is way better and some of the puzzles got me thinking for a bit, even though they are still on the easy side for most of the game.

The price is also a bit higher than the fisherman's tale but I think its more worth the 25 quid I spent on it than the fisherman was for a tenner. If you're not the biggest fan of retro sci-fi or adventure /puzzle games I'd recommend waiting for a sale.

Now I'm waiting for mage's tale to be released.

Yourself and Ian from EG seem to be quite impressed, added to list. Thank you.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been so out of the loop on new VR games for a while. I had never even heard of Red Matter, but that looks pretty sweet. I still can't pry myself away from RE2 atm. If only they had put VR support into RE2...

I've been so out of the loop on new VR games for a while. I had never even heard of Red Matter, but that looks pretty sweet. I still can't pry myself away from RE2 atm. If only they had put VR support into RE2...
Here, get a like, but goddammit please no... not in that game!
tenor.gif

Makariel

Every game should have VR support :D

Oh yeah. still have RE7 on the shelf, might have a look at that next... wish me luck...

Wonko_C

Man I almost wish I didn't play RE7 flat a full year before playing it in VR, It still is amazing looking being inside the Baker's estate but I can't get scared/anxious/tense at all because I've gone through it already.

Then again, if I didn't play it before I wouldn't have dared to touch the game in VR. :p

Grinchy

Banned
Oh man I played RE7 without knowing anything about it in VR right away. It was the most intense and scary game I've ever played.

Makariel

I've read that the resident evil 7 Demo is not part of the actual game, is that correct? If yes, should that be played first or does the sequence not matter?

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member

Stick with astrobot, I felt the same when I started - that it was just a pretty but bog standard platformer. The levels get really creative though and use VR in some really clever ways. It's a cliche at this point but it really does put you in the game. As the levels get more complex you literally platform around yourself.

I've read that the resident evil 7 Demo is not part of the actual game, is that correct? If yes, should that be played first or does the sequence not matter?

There are three demos. I don't believe The Kitchen is part of the game. (never played it tho) The other two are part of the game. (played both)

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
If it's the kitchen demo it's correct. It's just a standalone creepy experience. I played it before the main game and it didn't spoil anything!

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man I played RE7 without knowing anything about it in VR right away. It was the most intense and scary game I've ever played.

I'm actually sitting watching a friend play through it in VR for the first time right now. It's great seeing someone react to the scary bits. The aiming in VR mode was a game changer too, it's an extremely quick and accurate control method.

Top Bottom