• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POKEMON GETTO DAZE! (Japan lines up)

timbe

What do you guys think, will D/P be able to exceed Red & Green?

According to ioi's site Red & Green sold 10 million copies approx.

Now in a few hours D/P has already sold 2 million.

Amazing.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Koren said:
And two consoles, since some evolution can only be obtained when a pokemon is traded, IIRC ? :lol
Why of course, but you already have at least a white and a black DS, if not also an ice blue and a navy blue, don't you?

Holy crap if true. Wonder how online is holding up? I remember it buckling when MP:H was released, so I can only imagine the strain it's under now.

Matt_C said:
Off topic

I wonder she will go to his Mysterious Dungeon in the after hours.

Source and higher rez pic please.

Congrats on the sale and I hope I get my copy of Perl at the end of the week (it was already shipped). Now I need to find a cheap wifi stick.

here is the source, while you're at it check out the Chocobo trailer to, just don't look at the 2 chicks, makes you wanna buy rubber !

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2006/09/27/chocobo-and-the-magic-picture-book-trailer/

Aurora

Chibbi Brady said:
Holy crap if true. Wonder how online is holding up? I remember it buckling when MP:H was released, so I can only imagine the strain it's under now.
From what I've heard the online is going great.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Chibbi Brady said:
this is my main issue about this game.

Im not getting this game.

It's popularity has no effect on me, nor should it on anyone else's. Yet for some reson it appears that whats popular in Japan is the main point of interest for most of you on this board.

Thats cool i guess, but i like thinking for myself (sorry if you find this idea of individuality odd)

Neat hats tho.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Tarjeta Prepagada said:

It's popularity has no effect on me, nor should it on anyone else's. Yet for some reson it appears that whats popular in Japan is the main point of interest for most of you on this board.

Thats cool i guess, but i like thinking for myself (sorry if you find this idea of individuality odd)

Neat hats tho.
holy **** can I suck your cock!

Pokemon holds zero interest for me as well, I do like to witness me a good cultural phenomenon though, no need to be a dick about it.

Ronok

I got Pokemon today..... I decided I would line up in Ikebukuro at Bic Camera. I was 31st in line at about 9:30..... By about 10 opening time there was about 100 people...... Plenty of copies for everyone by 12 when I got a copy for my girlfriend....... I didn:t look at the rest of the thread so bleh.... Thats it. :)

Tarjeta Prepagada said:

Neat hats tho.

Oh yeah, we're exciting about Pokemon solely for the fact that it's popular in Japan. Am I missing sarcasm here?

Koren

jamesinclair said:
Can you imagine DS hardware at 700,000, maybe even 800,000 this week?

Id assume it would be the highest DS hardware sales ever.

Saoh said:
fix´d. i think the top for the DS has been 600k

Does we need the DS here ? Has a console ever sold 800k+ units in one single week, even during launch windows ?

(out of launch windows, i'm nearly sure its unprecedented... should check for FF VII release week in Japan, but I'm sceptical).

EktorPR

Are those numbers even real? If so, wow...it would be insane and the official victory of the DS in the portable wars.

Tarjeta Prepagada said:

Neat hats tho.

Says the guy who said this in the media-create thread:

Tarjeta Prepagada said:
I love it when Sony finishes #1 ^_^

Stop being a damn hypocrite and just say you don't like the effect of Pokemon because it's not to SONY's benefit.

Speevy

Banned
EktorPR said:
so, wow...it would be insane and the official victory of the DS in the portable wars.

There don't seem to be any factors keeping Nintendo from winning this generation of portable wars anyway.

Magicpaint said:
Says the guy who said this in the media-create thread:

Stop being a damn hypocrite and just say you don't like the effect of Pokemon because it's not to SONY's benefit.

Don't discute with him. It could be a trap.
Anyway, hate it or love it, it is a fact that Pokémon is a storm every time that a new version is out.

Provider

Where's that graph with the PSP/DS Hardware numbers that points out games/new colors releases for the spikes of the graph??... the one on most of the MC threads.

It shows how DS broke the record for highest selling non-launch weeks twice in like a month (in 2005).

Magicpaint said:

If such an obvious joke post goes over your head i really don't know what i can tell you.

Stop taking the internet so literally maybe?

A games popularity has no effect on me, im a free spirit. I dont ejaculate to weekly media create like the majority here, im not bashing them for their ways im just pointing out that their little world doesnt reflect reality.

Sales dont effect quality, most of the time whats popular is not the best option.

I dont want to derail this thread,so please just take my words as they are meant to be taken. Advice, not critisism; also dont bother responding becuase i wont post in this thread again.

Snaku

Banned
r1952857411vq6.jpg

"PSP still has a healthy lead, nothing to see here."

Jiggy

Aurora said:
Meh, I might aswell translate it correctly:

Japanese sources have announced a shortage in stock for Pokémon Diamond/Pearl in the majority of retailers. Despite the 2 million copies allocated to shops for today (1 million per game), this was not enough to meet the demands.

Moving on to the DS Lite; 500,000 units were sold in just a few hours. Nintendo had predicted such a demand and so stocked retailers with 1 million DS Lite units.
I would have had my 2.35 million first-week sales prediction no problem (though it probably would have gone over) if the stock had just been there.

RevenantKioku said:
Any other Gaffers importing? (Or JGaffers getting?) I'm trying to decide which version to buy.
Already preordered both. :D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
so are the rumours that Pokemon D/P sold 2m in the first day and DSL sold 500k at the same time? o_0

Jiggy37 said:
Already preordered both. :D
And besides you are many other Gaffers. I wonder, why they are importing a japanese Pokemon game. I mean it's still a RPG, although I know Pokemon is very basic and not so much about the story. But still...I'm at least a little impressed how many of you don't care about the language barrier...

Aurora

slaughterking said:
And besides you are many other Gaffers. I wonder, why they are importing a japanese Pokemon game. I mean it's still a RPG, although I know Pokemon is very basic and not so much about the story. But still...I'm at least a little impressed of how many of you don't care about the language barrier...
You can easily finish the game without the faintest knowledge of Japanese. But I think a lot of us importing at least know some katakana and stuff.

Aurora said:
You can easily finish the game without the faintest knowledge of Japanese.
Yeah, I can easily believe that. I played all the other versions and like I said its very simple and linear. But I imagine it's still an uncomfortable experience to not understand what exactly is going on. I couldn't ignore that.

donny2112

Provider said:
Where's that graph with the PSP/DS Hardware numbers that points out games/new colors releases for the spikes of the graph??... the one on most of the MC threads.

It shows how DS broke the record for highest selling non-launch weeks twice in like a month (in 2005).

Here's an older version.

JPNHandhelds.png

The most up-to-date version is here, though. I'm anticipating changing the scale for next week's numbers. :lol

Aurora

slaughterking said:
Yeah, I can easily believe that. I played all the other versions and like I said its very simple and linear. But I imagine it's still an uncomfortable experience to not understand what exactly is going on. I couldn't ignore that.
You're quite right. It's obviously not going to be the same as playing it in English - but what can we do, we want to train our Pokemans now!

threeball

Banned
Not trolling, but is there even a PSP title that has sold 2 million? If not, Pokemon sold more in one day than any PSP title has sold in its lifetime.

GTA:LCS, RR and Everybody's Golf are the only PSP games to reach over 1million sales WORLDWIDE.

In Japan alone, no PSP title has got over 1 million yet

I kinda feel bad for Square Enix and FF3, it could have easily passed 1 Million if it wasn't for production shortage due to the Pokebomb, the same goes with the LE DSs which instead were stockpiled too.

Futher evidence that the Wii will be sold out in Japan come December....

So what's the general consensus? All other DS games (FF3, NSMB, ACWW, etc.) resurge on Pokemon's coattails? Or the Pokebomb flattens all, and the charts fall off from 1,000,000 down to 20k?

Aurora

BulletSmoke said:
I kinda feel bad for Square Enix and FF3, it could have easily passed 1 Million if it wasn't for production shortage due to the Pokebomb, the same goes with the LE DSs which instead were stockpiled too.

Futher evidence that the Wii will be sold out in Japan come December....
Don't feel too bad. FFIII has already surpassed S-E's predictions and they've confirmed more FF goodness for us all to enjoy. Plus, it's likely that FFIII will have good legs, so while people can't grab Pokémon they'll get FFIII instead.

Mr. Pointy said:
Wait, POKEMANS comes in a cardboard box?

you can choose between regular version and version with action figures. Probably the card box is the action figure version or DSL special edition, regular version comes with normal plastic case

cicero

Tarjeta Prepagada said:

Neat hats tho.
You are on Team Meanie, aren't you.

Top Bottom