• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG Palin is on Rush Limbaugh! :lol i thought it was one of his cooks calling in at first. are they purposely trying destroy any chances they have left?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
lawblob said:
I suppose a Palin 2012 run would actually be good for us, it would be evidence of how whacked out and marginalized the GOP becomes in the next four years.
I've thought about that but I really don't want to give Palin the glory of being the nominee even if it means an easy Obama win

Fox318

Steve Youngblood said:
If McCain loses, and Palin is a legitimate contender in the 2012 Republican primaries, I'll eat my hat.
To be honset I think its going to be between Huckabee, Romney, Newt. I don't even think Palin will run.

Tamanon

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
OMG Palin is on Rush Limbaugh! :lol i thought it was one of his cooks calling in at first. are they purposely trying destroy any chances they have left?

The base is all they have left.

lawblob said:
I suppose a Palin 2012 run would actually be good for us, it would be evidence of how whacked out and marginalized the GOP becomes in the next four years.
I'm not making a value call on whether or not I do or don't think she should run, I'm honestly just saying that I don't see it happening. It's been my assertion all along that once the poll numbers started to drop for McCain, and the "Palin Effect" had run its course, that was the end of her relevance in national politics. She was thrown up there for the novelty she brought to the ticket, and if McCain loses, then that means the gambit failed and she's back to being a nobody. Aside from rallying the base, she brings nothing to the table. The idea that she's a rising start is absurd.

Justin Bailey said:
There's no way in hell the national GOP ever gets near Palin again after this election.

I doubt this. McCain and his staffers are going to get the blame for their defeat. Palin has already been stumping for 2012 with the base, and delievering the message they want to hear even if it isn't necessarily the message the McCain camapign wants to send out.

Aside from rallying the base, she brings nothing to the table.

Except winning primaries, which is a really big deal.

saelz8

GOP Strategist: McCain Put Country at Risk With Palin

Add Matthew Dowd to the growing list of senior Republican advisers rebuking Sen. John McCain.

Dowd, chief strategist for President George W. Bush’s reelection, fingered Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s nomination as a turning point in McCain’s slide.

“They didn’t allow John McCain to pick the person he wanted for Vice President,” Dowd said, referring to Sen. Joe Lieberman, which undercut his experience argument and tethered McCain to the GOP base.

“He knows in his gut he put somebody unqualified on the ballot,” Dowd stressed, “and put the country at risk.”

Dowd also said the Palin pick, in contrast to Sen. Barack Obama’s choice of Sen. Joe Biden as his running mate, showed voters which candidate was “serious” about governing.

The sharp assessment was issued at a Tuesday panel at the TimeWarner summit, a two-day gathering of politicos and reporters in Manhattan. (I also spoke at the conference.)

Dowd was rebutted by Mark McKinnon, a former strategist for Bush and McCain, who said no one knows what is in McCain’s head regarding his V.P. pick.

Dowd also knocked McCain’s strategic acumen, arguing that the campaign is “very tactical and not strategic,” flatly saying, “I don’t get the narrative.”

Since his time campaigning for Bush, Dowd went public with his opposition to the Bush administration’s record and the Iraq war.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, Drudge has officially used more headline space on the Dem Rep sex "scandal" than he ever used on Troopergate. I am shocked at this development:p

Barrett2

Fox318 said:
To be honset I think its going to be between Huckabee, Romney, Newt. I don't even think Palin will run.

If I were Palin I would run out the clock on my Governorship term and then cash in with a show on Fox News. That allows her to stay in the limelight without the uncomfortable dilemma of learning / developing policies.

But then again, people thought Reagan was a joke in the early 70s, but by sticking with it he eventually picked up a broad base of support. Who knows what the future brings for Palin, I guess anything is possible.

Hellcrow

Hey guys!

Just wondering, has Obama made up his mind on Israel. Will he likely step up against Israel if they start doing seriously stupid shit like a massive attack on Iran or something like that?

I don't think Huckabee is going to really be back and running well in 2012. He'll be older news then, and still has a lot of the same kind of structural problems with his positions and relations with the base that he had in 2008. If Palin is around-and she will be, count on it- his "base" won't even exist.

The GOP will nominate someone "electable" who will then be destroyed by the same sort of ruthless Obama campaign as in 2008, only this time with the advantage of incumbency and a bully pulpit.

Fragamemnon said:
Except winning primaries, which is a really big deal.
Huh? McCain won his primary long before Palin was on the scene.

Or are you talking about the GOP governor's primary? She won that by merely not being corrupt (which is a pretty low bar).

Tamanon

Banned
Hellcrow said:
Hey guys!

Just wondering, has Obama made up his mind on Israel. Will he likely step up against Israel if they start doing seriously stupid shit like a massive attack on Iran or something like that?

During the election everyone supports Israel 100%, once he's elected I expect that support to dampen quite a bit, like every President before him.

Barrett2

Hellcrow said:
Hey guys!

Not sure what you mean by "step up," but I wouldn't worry about Israel doing anything crazy. They don't want to jeopardize the sweet relationship they have with us.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
BTW, Drudge has officially used more headline space on the Dem Rep sex "scandal" than he ever used on Troopergate. I am shocked at this development:p
Did he EVER mention the Troopergate report? Last I saw (I only read Drudge when GAF is posting from there) he never mentioned it.

Also noteworthy: Pollster as both Colorado and Florida as "Strong Obama" now, instead of just leaning. His lead in Florida is over six points, and the big media sites still call both as toss-ups (I'm looking at YOU, Chuck Todd). :lol

Not surprising give how the media desperately tried to keep the primary close, but amusing in the face of an avalanche of actual data.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fragamemnon said:
The GOP will nominate someone "electable" who will then be destroyed by the same sort of ruthless Obama campaign as in 2008, only this time with the advantage of incumbency and a bully pulpit.
I chuckled upon reading these words, not sure why...

Hellcrow said:
Hey guys!

No candidate would say anything like that and expect to be elected. He may feel that way but would never say it. And I think Israel realizes it might not be a smart idea to do such an attack. (They'll threaten it but I doubt they would do it . . . this is not the same as their attack on Iraq many years ago.)

Hey, in four years, Palin might know enough about issues outside Alaska to actually be a competent candidate. (Personally, I'm not sold on Frag's assessment of her intelligence yet.)

Tamanon

Banned
Hitokage said:
I chuckled upon reading these words, not sure why...

He really does run a pretty ruthless campaign, but it's ruthless like Rachel Maddow, smiling cheerfully and laughing as he sticks the knife in your candidacy.

Steve Youngblood said:
Maybe. But I honestly don't think she's going to be anywhere near as popular if and when McCain gets destroyed on November 4th.

The GOP base isn't blaming her for the campaign's problems-really only the party aristocracy and intelligensia are talking about how bad of a pick she was, and to be honest there's a huge part of the GOP base that hates them as much as they hate Democrats.

If anything, she's delievering the kind of smearing, guilt-by-association attacks that the GOP base is clamoring for at the very time John McCain isn't. They won't forget that.

Imm0rt4l

MobiusPigeon said:

Dude, all they've got left is the base.

rush is a liar, hypocrite, and an idiot. i don't even know why i listen because it just ends up frustrating the hell out of me with some of the bs he spews. he can shove his golden EIB microphone up his ass. BUT i think this just about confirms that the last debate is going to be dirty as all hell. wouldn't be suprised if McCain calls him B. Hussien Obama. bo bo bo that's his name! does anyone even know mccain, palin or biden's middle name? :lol

speculawyer said:
Huh? McCain won his primary long before Palin was on the scene.

Or are you talking about the GOP governor's primary? She won that by merely not being corrupt (which is a pretty low bar).

I was referring to Palin's ability to win GOP presidential primaries, which I think she would be in very good shape to do in 2012-she'd put it away in South Carolina like Dubya did in 2000.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tamanon said:
He really does run a pretty ruthless campaign, but it's ruthless like Rachel Maddow, smiling cheerfully and laughing as he sticks the knife in your candidacy.
Crushing the opposition, seeing their surrogates flee before you, and hearing the lamentations of the talk radio hosts ...doesn't necessitate ruthlessness. :D

What scares me is that McCain still has a double-digit lead on terrorism. I worry that if OBL tries anything, the voters will respond as they did to his tape in fall 2004.

3rdman

Fragamemnon said:
This was the most absurd line out of McCain in weeks. When your opponent has multiple paths to 270 and you have, well, pretty much none, that's not 'right where you want them'.

It's delusional and everyone knew it.
Delusional is the right word...I just had a thought concerning the McCain supports. Imagine if you've gotten all your news from Fox and Fox alone. Not only would you be convinced that Obama is the devil incarnate and has terrorist ties, but that you are truly on the path of righteousness. Ultimately it is the fault of their viewing public to not get themselves educated on the issues, but I must admit, as I write this, I feel a bit of pity for them.

On a personal level, my entire family is voting Obama except for my brother. Somehow he's convinced himself that Iraq is a noble cause and the free market will cure all and did I mention he voted for Bush twice? We've only had a couple of conversations about Obama and that's enough....he saw my copy of "Audacity of Hope" and began to tell me that he though Obama was an "empty suit" which is (obviously) bereft of validity when you are holding the freekin' book he penned himself. Sadly, I think he'd fit in with that crowd. :(

Tamanon said:

It's brutal rope-a-dope (ask Bill Clinton about it, he got ROLLED by their team) mixed with a media strategy that makes it nearly impossible to get anything to stick to him. Which means you have to keep trying something new, which in turn makes your campaign look like it is flailing.

Oh, and then you get brutally outspent while at the same time getting your ass handed to you by the Obama ground game "field goal" unit.

And all the while you have to watch Obama's big crowds and huge smile. Is there any wonder why John McCain is so pissed off?

Tideas

Banned
Hellcrow said:
Hey guys!

if we dont step up to protect Georgia, what makes you think we'd protect Israel?

GhaleonEB

Father_Brain said:
What scares me is that McCain still has a double-digit lead on terrorism. I worry that if OBL tries anything, the voters will respond as they did to his tape in fall 2004.
The difference then is Kerry wasn't ahead when it happened, he was already behind. No candidate has ever come from this far behind this close to the election in US history.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Fragamemnon said:
I doubt this. McCain and his staffers are going to get the blame for their defeat. Palin has already been stumping for 2012 with the base, and delievering the message they want to hear even if it isn't necessarily the message the McCain camapign wants to send out.
McCain will definitely get the blame, but part of that blame is going to be the fact that he picked an incompetent running mate. I've said it before and I'll say it again - you betcha that the Palin pick is going to be looked at as one of the biggest jokes in modern presidential campaign history.

Trurl

Banned
If Palin gets nominated in 2012 the Republican party is done for. Not in some cyclical sense either, just done.

Brooks wasn't being hyperbolic when he said she represents a cancer on the Republican party.

Barrett2

So how does Mittens rehabilitate his image for a 2012 run? What does he do to keep himself busy the next four years?

Tideas said:
if we dont step up to protect Georgia, what makes you think we'd protect Israel?
Because we have a defense treaty with Israel, we don't have one with Georgia, IIRC.

tanod

when is my burrito
Tideas said:

Isn't Israel in NATO or something?

My opinion: Israel should be able to defend itself with all the nukes and equipment we've given/sold them.

Tideas

Banned
lawblob said:
So how does Mittens rehabilitate his image for a 2012 run? What does he do to keep himself busy the next four years?

Because we have a defense treaty with Israel, we don't have one with Georgia, IIRC.

defense, not offense ;)

Trurl said:
If Palin gets nominated in 2012 the Republican party is done for. Not in some cyclical sense either, just done.

Brooks wasn't being hyperbolic when he said she represents a cancer on the Republican party.

That would be great. That party needs reform, anyway. This shit happens about every 30 years or so.

tanod

when is my burrito
lawblob said:

Scrap the Republican image and go with Conservative Party. Coopt the Libertarian establishment and remake your platform under their ideals.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fragamemnon said:
It's brutal rope-a-dope (ask Bill Clinton about it, he got ROLLED by their team) mixed with a media strategy that makes it nearly impossible to get anything to stick to him. Which means you have to keep trying something new, which in turn makes your campaign look like it is flailing.

Oh, and then you get brutally outspent while at the same time getting your ass handed to you by the Obama ground game "field goal" unit.

And all the while you have to watch Obama's big crowds and huge smile. Is there any wonder why John McCain is so pissed off?
Now that I think about it though, even you bought into it at the time.

GhaleonEB said:
The difference then is Kerry wasn't ahead when it happened, he was already behind. No candidate has ever come from this far behind this close to the election in US history.

I know that it's unlikely, but the terrorism gap is still there. Another OBL tape probably won't be enough to turn the tide this time around, but another attack will still likely make most Americans piss their pants and run screaming for Big Strong Daddy McCain to protect them from the Islamofascists.

Iksenpets

Banned
I think Obama's popularity numbers will determine the Republican nominee more than anything else. If he's popular, no one's going to want to run against him and destroy their career with a huge loss besides crazy fundies who are out there to save the babies. In that situation I think Palin gets sent out as the Republicans' sacrificial lamb since they have no real shot, and she has no career to destroy. If he's unpopular, Mittens runs on a platform of fixing broken Democratic economic policies and Newt runs as a reformer, and one of them takes it. Huckabee has gotten screwed out of his base by the Palin factor, so I don't think he's got much of a shot anymore, except as someone's VP, though I would guess whoever wins will try to take Jindal as their VP to kickstart his national career.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
lawblob said:
He needs to build an image of an actual fiscal conservative. That's really why so many Republicans are disenfranchised today. A real-deal fiscal conservative would energize them like never before.

ToxicAdam

Let's not forget that even Quayle was a presumed front-runner going into 1996. He had the blessings of the arch-conservatives (which is one of the reasons why Bush Sr picked him in the first place.) That was all quickly undone as other, more viable candidates became available.

--

Fiscal conservatism is dead. It's just a talking point to attract a certain percentage of the Republican base. Just like the abortion issue.

Barrett2

ToxicAdam said:
Let's not forget that even Quayle was a presumed front-runner going into 1996. He had the blessings of the arch-conservatives (which is one of the reasons why Bush Sr picked him in the first place.) That was all quickly undone as other, more viable candidates came to available.

Quayle was also one of the founding members of PNAC, so he had street cred with the Neocon whackjobs.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom