• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CharlieDigital said:
BTW, regarding the whole terrorist thing.

My mom called me this morning regarding one of her friends who is as big a liberal treehugger as you're going to find. A Wiccan vegetarian living in NJ, no less. My mom said that she talked to her friend and her friend said that she was leaning McCain because she had heard that Obama was a terrorist.

:(

My mom said that she tried to set her straight, but seriously, this is so depressing to hear that it's gaining traction. Especially here in NJ.
That doesn't even make sense. If you're a terrorist you use dramatic shows of violence to push your cause because you are not part of the political process and they are all you have. It does NOT mean you use the legitimate political process with a major poltical party with wide popular support to enact your platform!

Unless, of course, they mean "terrorist" as in "of terrorist decent."

Tyrone Slothrop said:
one thing i've learned during this election is that liberalism and stupidity aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm more concerned that people are buying into the terrorist/Ayers/ACORN bullshit that they are willing to vote McCain despite their core principles.

Hitokage said:
That doesn't even make sense. If you're a terrorist you use dramatic shows of violence to push your cause because they are all you have. It does NOT mean you use the legitimate political process with a major poltical party with wide popular support to enact your platform!

Unless, of course, they mean "terrorist" as in "of terrorist decent."

Yah man, I hear ya. But she is a crazy one :lol I'm just putting it out there that there are otherwise liberal folks in liberal states who are buying into it. I don't see the logic either, but somehow, it's working.

GhaleonEB

reilo said:
Waaaaait. Ohio moved to "leaning Obama"?? When? And holy shit at Florida being solid blue! Colorado, too!
http://www.pollster.com/polls/oh/08-oh-pres-ge-mvo.php

Eight of the past ten polls in Ohio have Obama ahead. The two polls that had him behind were by one and two points.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What the hell kind of plan is that? :lol
It's the "throw shit at the wall and hope something sticks" plan. Lots of stuff in there to try and solidify the senior vote.

reilo said:
Shouldn't you be in school youngin'?
lol? Didn't you start high school at around 7:25 in the morning and got out at 2:18?

GhaleonEB said:
Thank you, GHAL.

*Looks at Reilo condescendingly*

Tamanon

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
What the hell kind of plan is that? :lol

Ambinder actually ran the numbers and McCain's plan would actually cost MORE than Obama's, and it seems to depend a lot more on "trickle-down" stuff.

new gallup numbers

9uoitylbz0y99zk4kxxtcq.gif

tijpo8sddewitwtp-3vyca.gif

yuvfulkvtuwnlbtb9sdzwg.gif

p4lgkyr7yesuede1ecwjaw.gif

ah1r9oea1eaaotvjkynfxq.gif

Our time for change has COME!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dax01 said:
lol? Didn't you start high school at around 7:25 in the morning and got out at 2:18?

Thank you, GHAL.

*Looks at Reilo with a condescendingly*
Back in my day, high school started at 9AM and finished at 2:45PM.

*shifty eyes*

You youngin's got it easy these days.

are there any state or senate polls scheduled for this afternoon/evening release? i know the LATimes national poll comes out at 2pmPDT, and shows McCain as quite the underdog, but after this mornings poll dump of fun, i was curious if maybe another pollster had some polls in the field they'd also like to share...

reilo said:

*shifty eyes*

completely OT, but...
eh? his is 7:25-2:18, yours was 9-2:45, so you started an hour and a half later than he and got out 30 minutes later....he has an hour longer worth of school

Brannon

Imm0rt4l said:
" I don't like the fact that he thinks us white qeople are trash"

Okay, I know this is late and so far from the most recent post, but QEOPLE?

Q and P are nowhere near each other! And that is all.

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
What quality! I would vote for you, Ghal.

2012?
Just last night I was telling my wife, "I hate people."

Think that would work as a campaign slogan?
kkaabboomm said:
are there any state or senate polls scheduled for this afternoon/evening release? i know the LATimes national poll comes out at 2pmPDT, and shows McCain as quite the underdog, but after this mornings poll dump of fun, i was curious if maybe another pollster had some polls in the field they'd also like to share...
PPP has Missouri coming up today.

Chichikov

lawblob said:
'Guaranteeing all savings during the next six months,' what does that even mean?
I think it means removing the limit on FDIC insurance.
But since it does nothing for inter-bank lending, it only goes to cover people who are stupid enough to have more than 250K in one bank account.

GhaleonEB said:
Just last night I was telling my wife, "I hate people."

Think that would work as a campaign slogan?

PPP has Missouri coming up today.

thats been an everpresent motto of mine for years now, so i'd vote for you.

and missouri....interesting

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
kkaabboomm said:
completely OT, but...
eh? his is 7:25-2:18, yours was 9-2:45, so you started an hour and a half later than he and got out 30 minutes later....he has an hour longer worth of school
You're not really this dense, are you? Did you miss the day they taught sarcasm in class?

reilo said:

*shifty eyes*

Pffft.

Edit: Ummm, I have about an hour more of school, so, owned!

So what problems (if any) does PoliGAF have with McCains new economic plan?

Barrett2

Chichikov said:
I think it means removing the limit on FDIC insurance.
But since it does nothing for inter-bank lending, it only goes to cover people who are stupid enough to have more than 250K in one bank account.

Yeah, I don't understand how this would benefit anyone. People with > $250,000 in liquid assets already have them distributed across various instruments. Its not like there are tons of people who literally have millions of dollars stuffed under their couch, just waiting for the FDIC to guarantee unlimited deposit amounts.

Once again, you gotta love GOP proposals that only benefit a tiny % of super rich people, but being sold as a populist program.

Dax01 said:
Pffft.

Edit: Ummm, I have about an hour more of school, so, owned!

So what problems (if any) does PoliGAF have with McCains new economic plan?

What do you think or do you not know enough on how economics work?

EDIT-Thanks kkaabboomm

Cloudy

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-franken/lipstick-on-an-election_b_134590.html

Lipstick on an Election

It's time to go out on a limb and consider the possibility that the Obama/Biden ticket might win the election.

The reason to go so boldly where no one has gone before...almost...is that Democrats need to start thinking about giving credit to those who are most responsible for their victory. Those would be the women.

Say what you will about a superior campaign organization, the huge fund raising advantage, the cratering economy: The two guys who will be taking over (I think) owe their success to the females. Think about where they would be were it not for

* Sarah Palin? She was at first considered a master-stroke (pun intended) by the nihilists who ran John McCain's operation. For while, Sarah stopped Barack/Joe in their tracks, and breathed new life into the McCain campaign with her combination of looks, TV sports anchor moves, Hockey Mon shtick and oh yeah, gender. But it didn't take all that long before all those so attracted to her lowest-common-denominator fresh face realized she was little more than a cynical ploy and a vacuous one at that. The responsibility for that goes in large part to

*Kate Couric. Katie did her fundamental job. She just asked questions and then followups. We are not talking off-the-wall topics. They were the most rudimentary ones imaginable, offering Gov. Palin an easy shot to demonstrate she was not a bubble head. Alas, Sarah didn't do well. Of course Ms. Couric had the advantage of being a "Ms.", which meant that none of the Republican opportunists could play their flim-flam sexism card. That ploy became so quickly transparent it disgusted the most frustrated Hillary supporters and sent them racing back to the Democratic ticket. It also provided tremendous material for

*Tina Fey. Palin's act was so astonishing that Fey needed to rely only on her brilliant impressionistic talent. The actual material wrote itself. Tina Fey got laughs by merely channeling Sarah Palin. In the process she exposed the Palin routine as the act of a Republican party desperate to make people stop pondering whether John McCain would simply extend the Bush presidency. Rarely, if ever, has this nation been so consumed by a desire for change, at least not since the 1700's. It is so intense it has overridden the disappointment over thwarted ambitions that is still burning inside

*Hillary Clinton. Even though her career of public service is still in front of her, she can already take satisfaction for ending, once and for all, any debate about whether a woman can lead this country. The effort to exploit female progress with anti-female tokenism fell with a thud thanks, in large part, to the example set by Hillary. She went toe to toe with Obama and the other candidates during the long long primary season. No gimmicks required.

We're seeing a huge amount of history in this campaign. We'll be seeing a lot more, including, we can ony hope, the glass ceiling with its 18 million cracks, shattered once and for all. We won't elect a woman President in 2008, but any sane person can see there's no reason not to. To a large degree they set the agenda this time around. Now it's time for them to claim full equality, to be judged strictly on their qualifications. It's time for all those who use subterfuge to undermine this reality to step aside or be run over by progress.

Pending the election outcome, I totally agree. I firmly believe that the Couric interview was the beginning of the end for Palin

If the Republicans get spanked (and I hope that most of them do), then I truly hope that it will force the core groups and think-tanks to reevaluate their policies and pursue some innovative ideas. I think the worst thing that could happen after this election is a deeper more dogmatic ideology from the Republican party. I think that their inflexibility is what has hurt this country and their party so much over the past 8 years.

I think unlike most people here I don't hate Republicans because they are Republicans, but I think that a majority of the party turned away from sound policies and ideas. They moved from the visionary revolution of the Republican controlled congress of '95 to the power-hungry, do anything to win neoconservatives of the Bush administration. I sincerely hope the thrashing the Republicans receive will lead to a better Republican party and a better America.

Tamanon

Banned
Cutting capital gains taxes makes no sense. Especially since it defeats the argument that the McCain camp was trying to make about Obama's retirement withdrawals plan. It basically encourages people to sell out of their positions now, if they even have any gains.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
lawblob said:
Yeah, I don't understand how this would benefit anyone. People with > $250,000 in liquid assets already have them distributed across various instruments. Its not like there are tons of people who literally have millions of dollars stuffed under their couch, just waiting for the FDIC to guarantee unlimited deposit amounts.

Once again, you gotta love GOP proposals that only benefit a tiny % of super rich people, but being sold as a populist program.
I think the idea is to prevent a silent bank run that helped nail the coffin on Wachovia. But if FDIC insurance didn't stop that, guaranteeing all deposits for a limited time won't do that either.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
The Georgia surge continues
The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported recently on disproportionate voting from African-Americans. Georgia doesn't appear to be in play in the presidential election, but it tracks early votes contemporaneously (and online), so it may be a useful bellwether for what's happening elsewhere.

If it is, the news continues to be extremely good for Obama. Early vote totals have now reached 499,582 -- more than 75,000 more than were cast early in all of 2004, according to Matt Carrothers, a spokesman for the Secretary of State. (The state is also newly encouraging early voting this year, so that's a major factor in the overall increase.)

Most striking: The ratio of African-American voters remains extremely high. 37% of the early votes were cast by black voters, who make up just 29% of the state's electorate.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Tamanon said:
Cutting capital gains taxes makes no sense. Especially since it defeats the argument that the McCain camp was trying to make about Obama's retirement withdrawals plan. It basically encourages people to sell out of their positions now, if they even have any gains.

Not to mention it does nothing for the poor and middle class.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
And as my wife said last night, who the heck is earning capital gains right now? They could be ZERO right now and it wouldn't matter for most of us.
Fox318 said:
Whats the deal with Ohio? Is it going towards Obama, or are the character attacks going to turn the state for McCain?
Just look at the polls.

belvedere

Junior Butler
BigGreenMat said:
If the Republicans get spanked (and I hope that most of them do), then I truly hope that it will force the core groups and think-tanks to reevaluate their policies and pursue some innovative ideas. I think the worst thing that could happen after this election is a deeper more dogmatic ideology from the Republican party. I think that their inflexibility is what has hurt this country and their party so much over the past 8 years.

I think unlike most people here I don't hate Republicans because they are Republicans, but I think that a majority of the party turned away from sound policies and ideas. They moved from the visionary revolution of the Republican controlled congress of '95 to the power-hungry, do anything to win neoconservatives of the Bush administration. I sincerely hope the thrashing the Republicans receive will lead to a better Republican party and a better America.

I don't hate Republicans for being Republicans, in fact, these "Republican conservatives" aren't conservative it all these days. Everything they used to stand for has all but evaporated. This is where I get lost though.

I remember when W. was running in 2000 and one of his primary talking points was acting out against nation building. He talked this up in the debates, on the road in and in interviews.

So I have to ask, who/what changed these views? Was it Cheney, congress?

It seems like a lot more than just the President needs to change if we're going to truly take this country in a different direction.

Fox318 said:
Whats the deal with Ohio? Is it going towards Obama, or are the character attacks going to turn the state for McCain?

The hillbilly Youtube stuff is mostly from the Appalachian parts, SE Ohio near W. Va. This is also the least populated part of the state. Ohio is still in play.

Chichikov

lawblob said:

It's not even going to help the rich people, I guess it make as much sense as removing the IRA MRD.
But hey, when McCain was a POW he didn't even have a checking account, so there!

NEW POLLS

US: Obama 53, McCain 40 (GWU 10/08-09, 10/12-13)

By PH Staff

GWU/Battleground
Tarrance Group (R)/Lake Research (D)
10/08-09,10/12-12, 08; 800 LV 3.5%
Mode: Live Telephone Interviews

Huffington Post said:
McCain Transition Chief Aided Saddam In Lobbying Effort
The Washington lobbyist John McCain has named to head his presidential transition team aided an influence effort on behalf of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to ease international sanctions against his regime.

The two lobbyists who McCain aide William Timmons worked closely with over a five year period on the lobbying campaign later either pleaded guilty to or were convicted of federal criminal charges that they had acted as unregistered agents of Saddam Hussein's government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/mccain-transition-chief-a_n_134595.html

Posted already?

if I see that breaking news gif again I am going to break my monitor

this is just the battleground poll from this morning, right? It flails around like a ritalin addict trying to hit a pinata.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What do you think or do you not know enough on how economics work?
I'm essentially the Sarah Palin of PoliGAF, as much as I hate to admit it. On a large level, I understand the issues, but if you ask me to go into specifics, I probably won't be able to give you a very knowledgeable answer (i.e., healthcare, what needs to be done specifically to get the economy going again). The only knowledge of economics I have is what I learned from my Civics and Economics class I took last year, so not that much.

I can tell when people don't know what they are talking about, though, as can most of the kids I regularly talk to in my school (i.e., SARAH PALIN).

The differences between Sarah Palin and I is that I admit when I don't know enough about something to give a knowledgeable answer, and I am not governor of a state, so even though I should know a lot about what problems are on Americans' minds, how to deal with those problems, I don't.:lol

I just wanted to know what PoliGAF thought of McCain's plan because I don't know enough yet to form an informed opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom