• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photos: Obama in Maumee Bay Resort in Oregon, Ohio

capt.b7cd3a278b224ef4b261da356348b3f6.obama_2008_ohjh102.jpg

Tue Oct 14, 2:38 PM ET
Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks during a news conference at the Maumee Bay Resort in Oregon, Ohio, Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2008.(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

r617998082.jpg

Tue Oct 14, 2:40 PM ET
US Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) makes a statement on the economy at the Maumee Bay Resort in Oregon, Ohio October 14, 2008. REUTERS/Jim Young (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

capt.35232113d1b740dcb3ff80874c947627.obama_2008_ohjh103.jpg

Tue Oct 14, 2:41 PM ET
Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., shares a laugh with a supporter at the Maumee Bay Resort in Oregon, Ohio, Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2008.(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

r2774413863.jpg

Tue Oct 14, 2:45 PM ET
A boy reacts to meeting US Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) at the Maumee Bay Resort in Oregon, Ohio October 14, 2008. REUTERS/Jim Young (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

r1490349273.jpg

Tue Oct 14, 2:48 PM ET
US Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) makes a statement on the economy at the Maumee Bay Resort in Oregon, Ohio October 14, 2008. REUTERS/Jim Young (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

Guilt by association only works for the (R) because Obama himself will not engage in it; if he wants to use that angle at all, he is fully reliant on the blogosphere and MSM to do their work.

artredis1980 said:
BREAKING NEWS

oct.jpg

HUFFINGTON POST EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS

McCain Transition Chief Aided Saddam In Lobbying Effort
MEGATON!!!!!!

McCain is CURRENTLY hanging out with a guy who aided Saddam HUSSEIN in a lobbying effort.

THEREFORE

We can not trust McCain AND it means McCain is a bad person.

...And a terrorist

Fragamemnon said:
There are sort of two parts to it. The first part is his call to guarantee all bank deposits for six months, which is something intended to get money back into bank deposits so that their books are nicer, hopefully getting the credit freeze that is going on unthawed. Honestly what the treasury and world governments are doing will work, it will just take some time and during this time there is going to be a lot of pain.

The other part is mostly top-down bread and butter failed GOP shite, designed to allow the ownership class to write off more losses this year so they don't have to pay as much in income taxes and allow them to sell their still-profitable long positions for cash (do we really need MORE flights to cash at this point without hitting taxes). It does nothing concrete to help the middle class, except for the ideas that Obama has also endorsed far earlier (no taxes on unemployment insurance and lower taxes for seniors with lower incomes).

It's the typical GOP fare that McCain has been unable to sell so far, and that McCain will likely not be able to sell to the public again.

Okay, thanks. I would like to read more opinions of PoliGAF if anyone is willing.

TDG

Banned
My god, that story will never gain any traction. Game changer my ass. You guys are being short-sighted AND hypocritical.

Nice . . . the Burnout Obama ad buy is getting secondary media exposure . . .

‘Obama for President’ billboards appear in EA game
Los Angeles Business from bizjournals - from the San Francisco Business Times
After billboards saying “Obama for President” appeared in the Electronic Arts Inc. game “Burnout Paradise” for the Xbox 360, the company confirmed the candidate bought the ads.

Some ads were also paid for by a political web site, voteforchange.com.

Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) is based in Redwood City and has a studio in Los Angeles. The company said it sold the ads as it would have sold them to any qualified politician, but that the company was not expressing a political position.

News reports said this is the first time a U.S. presidential candidate has bought in-game advertising.

Gigaom, a blog about gaming, cited Holly Rockwood, an EA spokesperson, confirming the deal.

“Burnout Paradise” is a racing game.
http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stories/2008/10/13/daily14.html?ana=yfcpc

So yeah, following up on something that came up earlier, Palin was on Limbaugh today, and sure enough Rush:

*) Heaped praises on her
*) Said that she was the only one holding both Obama "accountable"
*) Went and did something that the McCain campaign hasn't done yet, and blamed Obama's campaign as partially responsible for the ACORN stuff.

I'm sure that the McCain camp didn't want her to go there,but she wanted to go there becuase it means she is doing the work that the base wants-smear, smear, smear and fan their fears. She would "go there" with Wright if not for the fact that she'd be pinned in by the media if she did so, and she reallllyyy is afraid of the non-Hannitized press right now.

Chiggs

bob_arctor said:
It only hurts McCain in that it makes his Ayers-fest even more stupid and pointless and now, hypocritical.

I don't know, the allegations of Ayers writing parts of the book is honestly pretty funny.

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:

http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stories/2008/10/13/daily14.html?ana=yfcpc
It's fun to see the somewhat bewildered reaction in the media to this. For a lot of these reporters, it's probably the first time they've ever heard of in-game advertising. First Read had a similar reaction:

The Obama campaign isn't just advertising on television and radio. It's also running ads in Xbox video games.

With hat tips to Andrew Sullivan and Politico's Ben Smith, check out these screen grabs. That's some fascinating stuff.
PPP has Obama up two points in Missouri.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_Missouri_1014132.pdf

Their last poll was a month ago, and it had McCain up by 10 points. Looking at pollster, this is now three straight polls to show Obama ahead there.

TDG said:
My god, that story will never gain any traction. Game changer my ass. You guys are being short-sighted AND hypocritical.

Hypocrisy? I don't see it. More like "Get the fuck off this bullshit topic of Ayers/Rezko/ACORN/Wright already, will ya'? Cuz your candidate has some real shady associations if you really want to go there."

Dax01 said:
MEGATON!!!!!!

McCain is CURRENTLY hanging out with a guy who aided Saddam HUSSEIN in a lobbying effort.

THEREFORE

We can not trust McCain AND it means McCain is a bad person.

...And a terrorist
I was going to make a sarcastic joke here by putting something that the McCain supporters have been shouting out about Obama but I realized someone might not take it as a joke and it could get me in a lot of trouble.

saelz8

Yeah, after reading that story, it's not good enough. It looks good on it's face, but warts up as you get closer to it. It'll probably have some traction on the blogosphere, and maybe a few mentions in the MSM, but that's probably the extent of it. The only reason Ayers really gained any traction is because McCain's campaign kept pushing it, they made it official. Obama won't do the same.

PPP, Missouri, 1009 voters 10/11-10/12:

Obama 48
McCain 46

Good numbers, though I still say that it's another "ground game goes to Obama" state.

speculawyer said:

News reports said this is the first time a U.S. presidential candidate has bought in-game advertising.

i guess my question/point/statement is: duh? when has in-game advertising been for sale before during a presidential election, so that a candidate could purchase some? maybe during this primary, but who would spend precious primary dollars on in-game advertising when competing against a field of 5+ people for the nomination?

so duh, of course this is the first time a US presidential candidate has bought in-game advertising.

Fragamemnon said:
PPP, Missouri, 1009 voters 10/11-10/12:

Obama 48
McCain 46

Good numbers, though I still say that it's another "ground game goes to Obama" state.

compared to...
RAS - O-50, M-47
SUSA - O-51, M-43
ARG - O-46, M-49
RAS - O-50, M-47 (on 10/5)

so this is is right within that range, sweet

PPP's last poll was 8/13-17, O-40, M-50

speculawyer said:
I was going to make a sarcastic joke here by putting something that the McCain supporters have been shouting out about Obama but I realized someone might not take it as a joke and it could get me in a lot of trouble.
I take offense to that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Smiles and Cries said:
I love smart people

I would drink her bathwater right now, what a turn on :D
Sad thing is, there is nothing smart about what she is saying. It should be common sense.

The only reason this is refreshing is because it's coming from someone in the MSM.

speculawyer said:

hey now.

RubxQub said:
Sad thing is, there is nothing smart about what she is saying. It should be common sense.

The only reason this is refreshing is because it's coming from someone in the MSM.
but Nintendo never released Common Sense Training in America so yeah this is very nice to hear

Keep in mind also that if the same grade (not necessarily the huge bump we are seeing now, but an overall increased level) of elevated turnout numbers that we are seeing with African-Americans in Georgia hold true in NC and MO, then both states are probably going to be called in about an hour after the polls close there for Obama.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Palin: Obama must ‘rein in’ ACORN

“Obama has a responsibility to rein in ACORN,” Palin said during an interview with conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh.

Palin said the group is responsible for the “unconscionable situation we are facing now with voter fraud” and attacked the Obama campaign for not addressing the problem after the McCain campaign sent a letter to the Democratic camp urging action against voter fraud in September.

Ugh.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Speevy said:
The October surprise is Mccain discovered the fountain of youth and has returned as his 25 year old, strapping self.

The bad news is that he's now ineligible to run for president.
He's still still eligible for my heart, tho <3

Palin's comments on ACORN are just intentional rabble-rousing now, but if the election tightens up, even just a few points, and the result is a 4-point Obama win with around 310 EVs or so there will be some parts of the base that will say that she (not her, not John McCain who they don't really care about) was robbed and will be chomping at the bit Dino Rossi style for her in 2012.

Fragamemnon said:
Keep in mind also that if the same grade (not necessarily the huge bump we are seeing now, but an overall increased level) of elevated turnout numbers that we are seeing with African-Americans in Georgia hold true in NC and MO, then both states are probably going to be called in about an hour after the polls close there for Obama.
Wait, so you think Obama has a good chance of taking Georgia?

Zeliard

I can't properly put into words how hilarious it is to see Republicans whining about voter fraud. All I can say is I'm enjoying the damage control.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Zeliard said:
I can't properly put into words how hilarious it is to see Republicans whining about voter fraud. All I can say is I'm enjoying the damage control.

I guess they forgot about Ohio 04 and who knows what in 2000.

Kenneth Blackwell

Blackhead

Redarse
Chiggs said:
His memoirs. There are some funny coincidences:

QSUM Test - same sentence length
Nautical references
Similar style

It... it all makes sense now. NOOBAMA!

The allegations didn't even rise to that attempt. It was some seriously stupid shit.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Zeliard said:
This had to be said, and is not being said nearly enough, by either party or anyone else.

Couldn't have agreed more, I am absolutely flabbergasted at the sheer amount of alienation Arabs or Muslims probably feel when stuff like this goes down. I have a friend (and this is in Canada) who gets a bit nervous telling people he's from UAE, and I can understand why because immediately a lot of people will look at him differently.

In general, I think there needs to be a stronger push by the MSM, emphasizing the fact that even if Obama WAS a Muslim, it would not make his campaign any less valid.

Oh and, Fuck Fox News.

TDG

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Seriously dude, it would be all over Fox and Drudge
It would be all over conservative TV, radio, and blogs. Just as this is sure to be all over liberal blogs and radio, and it should make an appearance on Countdown. I don't really see the difference.

Trurl

Banned
speculawyer said:
I've always seen detecting sarcasm as one of GAF's strengths.

TDG said:
It would be all over conservative TV, radio, and blogs. Just as this is sure to be all over liberal blogs and radio, and it should make an appearance on Countdown. I don't really see the difference.

The difference is that the McCain campaign itself would use it in discourse but the Obama campaign won't.

McCain's grand unveiling of his economic plan is being met with tumbleweeds. He's totally going to up the ante on Ayers/Acorn now. It's all that's left in the tank.

tanod

when is my burrito
CharlieDigital said:
Guilt by association only works for the (R) because Obama himself will not engage in it; if he wants to use that angle at all, he is fully reliant on the blogosphere and MSM to do their work.

Guilt by association works if you hired the guy to do something on your campaign.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gary Whitta said:
Haha, Obama's Burnout ad featured on MSNBC.
Is Barack Obama for reckless driving? What are the dangers that lurk deep in the intertubes? Stay with us and follow this exclusive history on Fox News.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Good luck letting Mickey Mouse vote.

It also pisses me off that she speaks as if Obama has control of ACORN, since, you know, he's one of them. "Them" being low-life types who want to steal elections by registering other low-life, low-income riff-raff. By coincidence, all parties involved are invariably people of color. And yeah, I'm probably overly sensitive too such bullshit but it's not that much of a stretch to assume that's the aim of her comments. Or at least such an obvious by-product of them she should watch what the fuck she says. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom