• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Slurpy said:
From what Ive heard so far, the shit-stains have not had the decency or humility to give Obama a shred of credit for his win, and acknowledge what he's accomplished, even if only for the historical aspect, and nothing else. Its fucking pathetic. They can't give him one day of praise, without coming out with the outright attacks and mockery, then promptly trying to tear down the whole electoral process and discredit his win, a win who most objective people have expressed was a triumph of democracy. Nevermind that this was such a long journey, and such an emotional and moving moment for millions of Americans, who have never had this sort of passion towards a candidate that this guy has brought forth. No, these tools dont have the shred of humanity to at least respect the more than 50 million who worked for and voted for him, and the fact that he got an electoral blowout of epic proportions. It seems like for a few hours yesterday, everyone was coming together and it looked like there may be potential for progress on the unity front. But hey, its a new day, and these partisan shits have already started spewing their mocking vitriol. They're not worthy to lick the dirt off Obama's shoes, they they have their daily pulpits of hate where they can spread their vitriol and continue to divide this country and its decency.

This country will always be gridlocked, so long as the right wing is dedicated to tear anyone down who isn't on their 'side', at any cost.

amen

Its a good day but its sad that the right are going to continue with their bullshit.
I've about had it at work with all the Obama attacks.

bunch of sore cry baby losers.

Tamanon

Banned
Dax01 said:
Who's Emanuel, and what roles does the chief of staff do?

He's a Rep from Illinois. Chief of Staff is basically the guy that wrangles the votes together to support the President's plans.

Tim-E

And now, some more Facebook statuses:

"Chuck is sick, and ontop of it all, now has to be concerned about americas future."

"Marco figures that with a Democratic President and a completely Democratic Congress, it's a bad time to work for a living. "

"Michael is praying for our nation and the new direction that it has decided to take. May God help us now."

"Kenneth is glad his state didn't let him down." (West Virginia)

greepoman said:
Can someone give me a quick rundown on Jindal, I don't know much about him other than he's injun.

He does exorcisms.

Barrett2

Dax01 said:

He's basically Chief Operating Officer of the White House, he sort of runs the show for the Prez, coordinating people, implementing the President's policies throughout the President's staff, etc. It is an extremely powerful position. He is responsible for taking the President's vision for his cabinet and the agencies and making sure that vision turns into action.

Emanuel was chosen because he has a reputation for being extremely tough and very aggressive, and getting shit done.

Buttchin

when i think of blowout of epic proportions in terms of the electoral college i think of reagan versus Mondale (1984)...

Every state except for minnesota and D.C. voted for Reagan... now thats a blowout.

Obama won without a shadow of a doubt and definitively. Blowout of epic proportions? I just wouldn't call it that.

And yes I did vote for him im not some conservative dipshit just trying to put him down.

EDIT LINK: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=17

Fixed name i originally said dukakis

lawblob said:
He's basically COO of the White House, he sort of runs the show for the Prez, coordinating people, implementing the President's policies throughout the President's staff, etc. It is an extremely powerful position.

Emanuel was chosen because he has a reputation for being extremely tough and very aggressive.
He's also the brother of talent super-agent Ari Emanuel, the inspiration for the Ari Gold character in Entourage.

Dax01 said:

He's the guy that basically runs the White House operations day to day. He has a good amount of input into the president's agenda and his responsible for controlling access to the president.

Watch and episode or two of the first few seasons of the West Wing. It gives a good sense of how one chief of staff/potus relationship can work, plus Josh Lyman's character is based off of Emanuel.

I imagine Emanuel and Obama will make a great good cop bad cop duo.

besada

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Before the big scandal broke I was hoping for Spitzer. Now...Lawrence Lessig would make an awesome one.

I would wholeheartedly endorse Lessig, but I vibe that he might be controversial with certain corporate groups.

Tim-E said:
And now, some more Facebook statuses:

"Chuck is sick, and ontop of it all, now has to be concerned about americas future."

"Marco figures that with a Democratic President and a completely Democratic Congress, it's a bad time to work for a living. "

"Michael is praying for our nation and the new direction that it has decided to take. May God help us now."

"Kenneth is glad his state didn't let him down." (West Virginia)

He does exorcisms.
Looks a lot like my facebook page. I'm always amazed that the democratic party apparently hates all forms of work and workers.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Buttchin said:
when i think of blowout of epic proportions in terms of the electoral college i think of reagan versus dukakis (1984)...

Every state except for minnesota and D.C. voted for Reagan... now thats a blowout.

Obama won without a shadow of a doubt and definitively. Blowout of epic proportions? I just wouldn't call it that.

And yes I did vote for him im not some conservative dipshit just trying to put him down.
True.

Tim-E

crowphoenix said:
Looks a lot like my facebook page. I'm always amazed that the democratic party apparently hates all forms of work and workers.

Here's another one:

"Chuck is fuck son of a bitch, i won't take my McCain sticker off my truck for fuckin years!"

besada

Banned
TDG said:
As the [seemingly] only Kerry fanboy on PoliGAF, I would love to see Kerry get a nice spot in Obama's cabinet. Sec. of State would be especially nice, and it would piss off the Republicans in a major way.

For me, the only question is getting the most qualified candidate. I can't see that Kerry is that guy, and I'm not interested in appointments just to piss people off.

And I like pissing off Republicans.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Buttchin said:
when i think of blowout of epic proportions in terms of the electoral college i think of reagan versus dukakis (1984)...

Reagan vs Mondale you mean!

tsk tsk!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
besada said:
For me, the only question is getting the most qualified candidate. I can't see that Kerry is that guy, and I'm not interested in appointments just to piss people off.

Word. Exactly how I feel. Fuck pissing off Republicans. They're perpetually pissed off anyway and the next 4 year for 'em ain't helping.

Get qualified people. Don't care if its a Democrat or not. Get someone good. Someone competent. Don't stack up with the same old shit. CHANGE IT UP.

Barrett2

Buttchin said:

I think the reason people are using the term 'landslide' is because historically in electoral politics when a candidate wins by > 5% of popular vote, that is considered a 'blowout.'

But yeah, Reagan's destruction of Mondale in 84 was also hugely impressive. Bams is good, but not 49 states good. :lol

Calcaneus

A little anecdote, after the win was announced, I went in a mad rush checking every blog, website, or forum that either had an opinion I cared about or at least is usually very loud about their views. I decided to check out the Stormfront forums (the internet beacon of racist white-supremacist "Hitler wasn't so bad" idiots) and see how many Neo-Nazi's committed suicide after the announcement.

The damn forum was shut down.:lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NullPointer said:
I feel so... spent.

Happiness fatigue? Hopium hangover? I took today off work and I'm just napping.

Its a good day.
Yeah, I ended up sleeping in to get a couple more hours of sleep from just three or four and I'm still fairly fatigued.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I really hope Poligaf stays alive. I'd imagine that there a lot of people, like myself, who are now addicted to the political game and will be following it for quite awhile.

jmdajr

Calcaneus said:
A little anecdote, after the win was announced, I went in a mad rush checking every blog, website, or forum that either had an opinion I cared about or at least is usually very loud about their views. I decided to check out the Stormfront forums (the internet beacon of racist white-supremacist "Hitler wasn't so bad" idiots) and see how many Neo-Nazi's committed suicide after the announcement.

The damn forum was shut down.:lol

:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hitokage said:
Yeah, I ended up sleeping in to get a couple more hours of sleep from just three or four and I'm still fairly fatigued.

In NYC 90% of people are either dead tired or not at work.

Barrett2

norinrad21 said:
Has the GOP been dismantled yet?

Next week they meet for their CPAC meeting where they will drink cyanide-laced Koolaid while waiting for the Hale Bop comet to carry Palin onto a magical throne in the sky where they can use her pretty face to placate the masses while Romney, Gingrich and Bill Kristol control her with puppet strings to implement their utopian vision of 0% taxes and gold coin piss raining down from heaven.

norinrad21 said:
Has the GOP been dismantled yet?
Well, based on the reactions of the Rush fans I have next to my cube, no, no it's not.

Just you folks wait. Not everyone is convinced that he was eligible to run. I want to see that birth certificate.

Diablos

lawblob said:
Next week they meet for their CPAC meeting where they will drink cyanide-laced Koolaid while waiting for the Hale Bop comet to carry Palin onto a magical throne in the sky where they can use her pretty face to placate the masses while Romney, Gingrich and Bill Kristol control her with puppet strings to implement their utopian vision of 0% taxes and gold coin piss raining down from heaven.
This is the best post ever.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AstroLad said:
In NYC 90% of people are either dead tired or not at work.
Speaking of people getting up early, newspapers were sold out throughout town. The supermarket next to UNC Charlotte had their newspapers sell out by 7am.

I managed to score one at 1pm though. :D

Baker

Banned
angelfly said:
Did anyone else besides me go out and buy a bunch of newspapers as collectors items?

The receptionist at the training center I'm at (in Chicago) has been trying all day to find a newspaper with Obama on the cover to send to her parents in Italy and they're sold out everywhere she looks.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I just went over the map on CNN and I had no idea that most red state voter population is pretty small. I'm talking 12 of the total 21 red states where neither candidate accumulated more than 1million votes. I had no idea so many of those gigantic red states were so damn empty. Without Texas the GOP would barely even be a strong political party anymore.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
lawblob said:
Puppet strings would never work. She's way too maverick for that.

besada said:

I agree. As much as it would piss off Republicans, Obama shouldn't make the same mistakes that Bush made and expend his good will with bullshit picks. Make choices based on merit and qualifications, not party affiliation and ideology.

He needs to extend his goodwill towards the moderate Republicans and conservatives who he'll need to get things done.

Tamanon

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
I just went over the map on CNN and I had no idea that most red state voter population is pretty small. I'm talking 12 of the total 21 red states where neither candidate accumulated more than 1million votes. I had no idea so many of those gigantic red states were so damn empty. Without Texas the GOP would barely even be a strong political party anymore.

It's their California. And they REALLY need to get the Hispanic vote tipped back their way otherwise it will turn purple in the coming years. I don't think they realized how much the way they ran immigration reform as anti-Mexico instead of pro-laws hurt them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom