• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingT731

I hope screenshots don‘t take 10 seconds anymore and they have a proper low power CPU this time around that can do background downloads while in standby.
It takes the SS when you press the input. The notification is slow as all hell.

TimFL

It takes the SS when you press the input. The notification is slow as all hell.
It sure as hell does not. Whenever I take a screenshot of something and check on it after the notification pops up, it's always a blurry mess showing a scene that happens 5-10 seconds after I pressed the button. I guess my Pro is borked then.

And by background task downloading I mean the original promise they gave on their initial reveal event: a secondary CPU that is low power and does all the standby downloading etc. Said chip ended up being far too underpowered to do proper downloads, so they ended up using the main APU to do downloads (fans kick on etc).

It sure as hell does not. Whenever I take a screenshot of something and check on it after the notification pops up, it's always a blurry mess showing a scene that happens 5-10 seconds after I pressed the button. I guess my Pro is borked then.

It does sound like there's something up with your Pro. My 3 year old base PS4 takes screenshots instantly. Maybe try rebuilding the db / restart in safe mode. If all else fails, backup everything and do a system reset.

TimFL

It does sound like there's something up with your Pro. My 3 year old base PS4 takes screenshots instantly. Maybe try rebuilding the db / restart in safe mode. If all else fails, backup everything and do a system reset.
I take them in the higher quality format though, maybe that‘s it.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, when they allocated less resources to the OS without actually re-writing the OS to use less resources, it has become a clunky, slow mess. I used to like taking screenshots and videos but now it's such a hassle. Almost all functions of the OS have gotten worse after one of the major firmware updates.

FranXico

Yeah, when they allocated less resources to the OS without actually re-writing the OS to use less resources, it has become a clunky, slow mess. I used to like taking screenshots and videos but now it's such a hassle. Almost all functions of the OS have gotten worse after one of the major firmware updates.
When did they reduce the OS reserved memory?

Grinchy

Banned
When did they reduce the OS reserved memory?
lol I dunno if it really happened I just remember reading that they were "optimizing" it or something and giving resources back to developers. And suddenly the OS sucks donkey dicks.

It probably varies on a game-by-game basis. The new COD makes the rest of the PS4 run like a Packard Bell.

LordOfChaos

And by background task downloading I mean the original promise they gave on their initial reveal event: a secondary CPU that is low power and does all the standby downloading etc. Said chip ended up being far too underpowered to do proper downloads, so they ended up using the main APU to do downloads (fans kick on etc).

I'm hoping the ARM subsystem is powerful enough this coming round to not only do background downloads without touching the APU (and thus fan and power consumption), but also eliminate the 1.5(ish) x86 core OS reservation on the present PS4.

Particularly with shared cache and MC contention and such, the benefits of dedicated the Ryzen cores solely to the game could be slightly in excess of just 1.5/8ths.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I'm hoping the ARM subsystem is powerful enough this coming round to not only do background downloads without touching the APU (and thus fan and power consumption), but also eliminate the 1.5(ish) x86 core OS reservation on the present PS4.

Particularly with shared cache and MC contention and such, the benefits of dedicated the Ryzen cores solely to the game could be slightly in excess of just 1.5/8ths.
Its wishful thinking but if soky could use a mid level exynos or snap dragon there wouldn't be a problem. They currently use mediatek in their TVs and Android on the TVs is trash

Its wishful thinking but if soky could use a mid level exynos or snap dragon there wouldn't be a problem.

That would put them at the mercy of Qualcomm or Samsung to provide any security updates and support for those chips. It's an issue that has been blighting Android devices for nearly a decade. Qualcomm develop the entire SOC and if they decide to pull support after X years, you can forget it. Sony might want Qualcomm or Samsung to give 10 years of support to the machines, but those two would rather you buy a whole new device so they can sell you chips.

Put it this way: the Linux kernel in many Android phones is stuck at 3.18, which was released in December 2014, with no way to upgrade. This is very, very important when kernel exploits are discovered and need to be patched.

LordOfChaos

Its wishful thinking but if soky could use a mid level exynos or snap dragon there wouldn't be a problem. They currently use mediatek in their TVs and Android on the TVs is trash

They don't necessarily need them, any off the shelf ARM core from the last year would run circles around the one in the PS4 and costs very little, the current ARM subsystem I don't think is any off the shelf SoC from Samsung or Qualcomm, but just an ARM core with a small subsystem built around it.

Toss even something modest like two A72s in there and it would scream, and hopefully be able to take over the entire OS role from the x86 cores apart from listeners on the x86 cores.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
There seems to be the impression that the OS does mostly background tasks. In reality the OS does a lot of servicies as part of the real time nature of tne game and needs to be highly optimised and responsive for the game to perform.

Networking, sound and the graphics libraries are all part of the OS. Applications feed data back and forth from the operating system which is part of why the reason unified memory is a good idea.

THE:MILKMAN

What append to Osiris? I thought he was supposed to drop some info like a week ago? Did I miss it?

To quote QI: 'Nobody knows'. Osiris is very much around but keeping a low profile. I guess we aren't going to get any info or explanation for the silence.

To quote QI: 'Nobody knows'. Osiris is very much around but keeping a low profile. I guess we aren't going to get any info or explanation for the silence.

I have thought all along he is just making educated guesses based on what everyone else thinks.

The posts he has made should have been done in IMs to the mods and not openly saying he has info and he is going to open the floodgates and when he gets home posting everything he has.

THE:MILKMAN

I have thought all along he is just making educated guesses based on what everyone else thinks.

The posts he has made should have been done in IMs to the mods and not openly saying he has info and he is going to open the floodgates and when he gets home posting everything he has.

I can only assume he did/does work at GameStop because he was Bish verified at the time of his PS4K thread. I was one of a couple of people that questioned parts of that info but got nowhere with it.

In hindsight a lot of the Neo info seems to have been highly embellished and/or fed to him by others as I doubt the kind of info coming out would need to be shared with retail (to give one example)

Skyr

Something else fake to add.

"

67b.jpg

onQ123

What does the '130' read as?

Pressure sensitive (analog) buttons possibly coming back?

It's just showing the buttons as examples of input , ( but in a way the pressure sensors would be like having the analog buttons back but now they will probably find a use for it lol)

DESCRIPTION OF THE EMBODIMENTS

[0017] Referring now to the drawings, wherein like reference numerals designate identical or corresponding parts throughout the several views, FIG. 1 schematically illustrates an input device 100 used for providing commands to an associated processing device. The input device 100 comprises pressure sensors 110 and 120 in addition to input buttons 130. The input device 100 is an example of a controller, as it may be used to control processing performed by an associated processing device, and as such the terms `input device` and `controller` may be used interchangeably in the following description.

[0018] An input device 100 according to the present disclosure may comprise any number of input buttons 130; indeed, this number could be zero in the case of an input device that provides inputs based upon a user's motion rather than button presses.

[0019] The location and number of pressure sensors 110 and 120 are also exemplary; only one of these sensors may be provided, or a greater number could be present on the input device. The sensors 110 and 120 could cover only a front or rear portion of the controller, instead of covering the whole surface of the arms. Rather than being located on the arms of the controller, the sensors may be provided on any region of the controller in which it is convenient for the user to provide a pressure to the sensor.

[0020] Each of the pressure sensors 110 and 120 may comprise a single pressure-sensitive region in the case in which only one sensing element is provided. However, in some embodiments it is considered advantageous to provide a number of individual sensing elements in each pressure sensor 110 and 120.

[0021] This could allow a greater ability to determine which pressure was intended to be applied by the user; for example, it may be possible to determine a direction from which the pressure is applied or it may simply increase the area in which a user may apply a pressure. Alternatively, or in addition, a plurality of sensing elements may be provided for each pressure sensor to allow a user to provide localised pressure inputs in different places that may be interpreted as different inputs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's just showing the buttons as examples of input , ( but in a way the pressure sensors would be like having the analog buttons back but now they will probably find a use for it lol)

Yeah, they were great for racing games prior to triggers and affordable wheel options.

Von Hugh

I just started thinking about the controller, VR, performance, and the price of the console again.

- Pressure sensitivity, depth camera and a touch screen (instead of a touchpad) on the controller are very likely. Not probably with those exact shenanigans, but it is quite certain that they will want to 'crust' the peripheral with all they can to get more profit out of the controller sales. Probably due to the fact local multiplayer just isn't that popular anymore, and they aren't selling that many controllers per console like in the past. And on a more dire note; the controllers are going to be more prone to breaking down due to the tech, and you can bet they will want to cash on that instead of just selling more controllers. No harm in that, though, it's just business. Sony probably also wants to replace the Share and Options buttons + the LED light with the new touch screen.

- VR will be integrated in the console and the controller somehow. Again, trying to drive the sales of peripherals, PS5 will have the basis to have VR. But Sony probably won't shoehorn VR like Microsoft did with Kinect at launch by bundling it 'as a must', an integral part of the console and the experience. But it will be enabled. There will most likely be VR bundles too, sure, but there's going to be a version without it as well.

- The price has to be under 500 dollars. Be it 499 or 399, but somewhere under 500 anyways. You can always pull the argument that people are buying devices such as iPhones every two years anyways, but you still have to take into consideration the value proposition of those devices. PlayStation is just for gaming. With VR or without it.

- What does that price mean for the specs and power of the console? The console might in fact be the monster that was touted in one of the leaks, and AMD knows based on PS4 history that Sony can push some serious mass of the consoles to the consumers. Sony might get a good deal on the hardware, and since the architecture is now somewhat already familiar to both Sony and AMD, the manufacturing processes have matured resulting to cheaper hardware. If economies of scale doesn't still carry that big of a reduction on price, maybe Sony will try to push for a price of something like 449. They certainly have the position to do that in the current markets. Plus, like already said, there's money to be made through peripherals such as VR as well.

Von Hugh

And regarding a mid generation refresh, maybe there won't really be one this time. This would go hand on hand with the new console being pretty powerful. They have learned of how the weak Jaguar processor affected the whole generation, and they don't suddenly have to start catering to the emerged 4K market and its demanding performance requirements this time. 4K is the main native goal this time. Sony most likely wants to keep the generation short and sweet to create a proper generational leap, and a clearer distinction between the current generation as well as the generation after PlayStation 5.

Last edited:

onQ123

I have reasons to believe that PS5 is really 4 PS4 GPU chiplets & really will have GDDR5 memory at a really high bandwidth because the chips will be stacked on the GPU CU's

osirisblack said PS5 had 18 GBs of GDDR5 @ over 800GB/s this sound crazy but if they are 3D stacking PS4 chiplets it could be 1GB of GDDR5 connected to ever 4 CU's.

Bonus the same chiplets can be used for cloud gaming severs to stream PS4 & PS5 games .

MzA3NzU0Mg.jpeg

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I have reasons to believe that PS5 is really 4 PS4 GPU chiplets & really will have GDDR5 memory at a really high bandwidth because the chips will be stacked on the GPU CU's

osirisblack said PS5 had 18 GBs of GDDR5 @ over 800GB/s this sound crazy but if they are 3D stacking PS4 chiplets it could be 1GB of GDDR5 connected to ever 4 CU's.

Bonus the same chiplets can be used for cloud gaming severs to stream PS4 & PS5 games .

MzA3NzU0Mg.jpeg

Oh god now they’re duct taping PS4s together.

ethomaz

Banned
7nm CPU? I am skeptical. Would it really use such a brand new process?
They will definitely use 7nm for APU.

No 7nm = no PS5

It would make it prohibitively expensive, no?
The opposite.

Smaller chip = cheap.

So a 7nm version of PS4 chip will be cheaper than actual 16nm.

But of course for PS5 they will use the addiction space to add power to in the end have a chip similar to PS4 chip with way more power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom