• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.

yurinka

PSX 2019/Early 2020 official teaser.
E3 2020 Reveal.
November 2020 release.
This. I'd personally bet on a Q1 2020 official teaser, at CES, GDC or at an event made in February just for this. The more time they give devs to work on the initial demos and games shown there, and the more time they give to the engineers to work on the specs, the better.

In addition to this, if PS5 announcement somewhat affects PS4 sales they may want to wait as much as possible to announce it, specially if as I think PS4 continues on fire with its sales due the huge amount of great/big seller games announced to be released in PS4 during 2019.

Sony is skipping E3 this year. Which kind of shows that PS5 at minimum will be announced this year and my bet it holiday 2019 release.
Sony said they'll skil E3 2019, very likely because at this point they won't have any big announcement to make. Most remaining big PS4 exclusive games have been shown one or twice so wouldn't make sense to show them again at E3. This pretty much confirms that PS5 won't be released during 2019 because if it was the case they would be at E3 2019 showing it.

Sony said they'll skip E3 2019, not E3 2020. So Sony can come back to E3 in 2020 to showcase PS5 and its first games.

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

PS5 will probably be announced at PSX later in the year.

I tend to think this is the case. Sony has gone on record saying they are not attending E3 nor are they planning any event in / around that time frame. "Sony has confirmed that it will not be attending E3 2019 at all. That means there’ll be no annual press conference or show floor presence from the platform holder at all. Speaking with Game Informer, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark said that it “will not activate or hold a press conference around E3”. That means no similar event during the same summer timeframe, like EA hosts for example. "

IF Sony had plans to release this year you can be certain they would have some kind of event or presence associated with E3 timing. My guess at this point is Sony will do a tease reveal at their PSX event late 2019 so as not to hamper / hurt any PS4 sales over the holiday. It will hold a full reveal event early 2020 with an eye on a holiday 2020 launch window mirroring in many ways what they did with PS4.

Darius87

But Sony was at E3 the year the PS4 was released. This year they aren't going to be at E3. Did you forget it's 2019 right now?
Why would Sony "NOT" want to show the games more than once? If the PS5 was coming out this year, why would they want nobody at E3 that covers games to talk about it? Are you guy even thinking about any of this or are yall hung over from last night's drinking session?
Maybe because they want major titles to be shown at PS5 event rather then showing same titles again at E3 and it's clearly that E3 is not on time to reveal PS5 maybe earlier? or later? do you really think that they gonna show again TLOU2, the samurai game(forgot name), death stranding gameplay? and then have to show them again on PS5 event?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They’ll likely hold their own conference sometime between now and E3.

If they announce any mysterious conferences in the near future we can be sure to know what it’ll be about.

I’m thinking they’ll be going for a March conference instead of Feb this time around since there’s been a few rumours around launching in March next year.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I really don't believe Sony will announce this year and release next. Last time they did that was PS3 and they won't want to tempt that fate.....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Maybe because they want major titles to be shown at PS5 event rather then showing same titles again at E3 and it's clearly that E3 is not on time to reveal PS5 maybe earlier? or later? do you really think that they gonna show again TLOU2, the samurai game(forgot name), death stranding gameplay? and then have to show them again on PS5 event?

I think you are forgetting that we are in 2019 right now. If they reveal the PS5 after E3, that only gives them like 3 months to tell/show the world their new console.

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!
2020/21

With the way AMD pricing their latest card there's no way PS5 with Navi gona hit $400 price point

$500 is the most reasonable price

bitbydeath

I really don't believe Sony will announce this year and release next. Last time they did that was PS3 and they won't want to tempt that fate.....

PS5 would either be coming end of 2019 or early 2020.

The recovery seen in March 2021 could not be achieved in a 5 month timeframe. (Nov 2020).

DdxU-htVAAQNgt0

Where as Playstation typically starts off in the negative each gen.

images

Maybe subs have changed it but I would not expect it to be as drastic as seen in the first graph after 5 months on shelves.

Darius87

I think you are forgetting that we are in 2019 right now. If they reveal the PS5 after E3, that only gives them like 3 months to tell/show the world their new console.
i don't get you? you think sony is on somekind of deadline to reveal ps5? maybe they reveal before e3 or after does that matter? maybe they release ps5 late this year or early next year what difference that makes? they have everything planned.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

i don't get you? you think sony is on somekind of deadline to reveal ps5? maybe they reveal before e3 or after does that matter? maybe they release ps5 late this year or early next year what difference that makes? they have everything planned.

- My point is if they show it before E3 in their own Press Conference like in March, they'd also show up to E3 to talk more about it.
- If they show it for the first time after E3, like in August, then it'll be dumb to release the console only 3 months later. It'll be a terrible way to advertise your brand new console that they'll want to be around for at least 6-8 years.

PS5 would either be coming end of 2019 or early 2020.

The recovery seen in March 2021 could not be achieved in a 5 month timeframe. (Nov 2020).

DdxU-htVAAQNgt0

Where as Playstation typically starts off in the negative each gen.

images

Maybe subs have changed it but I would not expect it to be as drastic as seen in the first graph after 5 months on shelves.

I would put all my money on late 2019 out the two options if I was a betting man. Remember December 3rd is PlayStation's 25th birthday and Sony just released PlayStation classic on the 24th birthday.

I just can't see them skipping a holiday season, either.

mckmas8808

I would put all my money on late 2019 out the two options if I was a betting man. Remember December 3rd is PlayStation's 25th birthday and Sony just released PlayStation classic on the 24th birthday.

I just can't see them skipping a holiday season, either.

So when do you think they will introduce the PS5 to the world?

Darius87

- My point is if they show it before E3 in their own Press Conference like in March, they'd also show up to E3 to talk more about it.
They don't have to show anythink at e3 they won't be there!!! :messenger_grinning_smiling: it's their decision why you think that they'll suddenly have to appear at e3?
- If they show it for the first time after E3, like in August, then it'll be dumb to release the console only 3 months later. It'll be a terrible way to advertise your brand new console that they'll want to be around for at least 6-8 years.
why you think that they have to release ps5 3 months later after reveal? and i'm the one having hangover :messenger_grinning_smiling:
If they show around march they release late this year, if they show after e3 they release early next year, that my guess.

Dontero

Banned
They are skipping E3 because there is no reason for them to share event with MS which also will be announcing their stuff.
If they will announce it on PSX which would be in summer then all spotlights would be on them instead of Nintendo or MS.

They did exactly same thing with PS4.

It was announced at separate event from E3. And back then PSX experience wasn't a thing so they had to go to E3 to present their games. Now they can announce it and do show on PSX experience at the same time.

So when do you think they will introduce the PS5 to the world?

If by introduce you mean reveal then either early in the year (like PS4) or later like September (like Pro). If you mean release then holiday of the year of release. I think/hope it will all happen this year but the same time frames apply for 2020 unless evidence (or legit leaks) indicate otherwise.

LSWilson

We want to first start off by saying this post is in no way an official endorsement by NeoGAF or it's Staff when it comes to this information since we cannot verify the source. So as such, all information that @OsirisBlack has, and will share moving forward should be treated as rumor and speculation.

This was shared to one of our staff members on Oct, 30th:

@OsirisBlack you are free to share any other information in which you have when you see fit.
Doesn't that gpu clock look petty low

Dontero

Banned
I seriously wonder why people assume that PS5 will be released before XboxTwo.
It is MS that don't have anything to lose by releasing their console earliest.
In case of Sony they would want to release their next console in next 5 years if they could because they are at the top.

Bergoglio

I don't think MS wants to go first this time, they are not interested to be "first". They want to reach billions of people around the world with different strategies. VG Netflix, xbox live, xbox pass, more power etc.

Shin

Banned
I don't think a new gen will be as exciting as it previously was but more along the lines of "oh a new phone from x brand".
This is due to the continuation that's BC, higher specced machine but not nearly as exotic as the old days with crazy features.

Fake

I don't think a new gen will be as exciting as it previously was but more along the lines of "oh a new phone from x brand".
This is due to the continuation that's BC, higher specced machine but not nearly as exotic as the old days with crazy features.
BC is the most hyped feature, so IMO yes, next gen is exciting 'IF' BC 100% confirmed. Another aspect was, if BC can be done, so release an update to add resolution increase/support (just like ps4pro/XboxX have being receive) on next machines.

Well I don't think the jump from PS3 to PS4 was that big of a deal either at the very beginning. I mean we will never have PS1 to PS2 jump again, especially now with mid gen upgrades. But still, I remember playing BLOPS 2 on PS3 and then Ghosts came out and I got my launch PS4 with it. I felt like I was playing a PC version on max because after 6 years you could tell the consoles were struggling to keep up, blurry textures, lot of games were 720P etc. So Im kind of expecting the same with PS5. Depending what the launch games are, but the hardware upgrade will be big enough to notice what you were missing on the previous gen. Shorter loading times, proper 4K, not this checkered boarding, im ok still with 30fps (not for racing games though). I mean this is how it will be at the start, give it a year or a bit more and amazing feats will happen.

Shin

Banned
BC is the most hyped feature, so IMO yes, next gen is exciting 'IF' BC 100% confirmed. Another aspect was, if BC can be done, so release an update to add resolution increase/support (just like ps4pro/XboxX have being receive) on next machines.
I'm not seeing anything that would indicate otherwise, it's still an X86 CPU and still a GCN architecture GPU (which makes it easier instead of more difficult).
Then potentially 8 cores and thus core for core emulation just adds to the ease, just thinking out loud here as something is only factual after it's confirmed.
Part of why i said that is because Ken Kutaragi is gone, no new disc format, architecture, storage medium or any of that, but a new box/joypad design can easily be as exciting.

Fake

I'm not seeing anything that would indicate otherwise, it's still an X86 CPU and still a GCN architecture GPU (which makes it easier instead of more difficult).
Then potentially 8 cores and thus core for core emulation just adds to the ease, just thinking out loud here as something is only factual after it's confirmed.
Part of why i said that is because Ken Kutaragi is gone, no new disc format, architecture, storage medium or any of that, but a new box/joypad design can easily be as exciting.
Yeah, both architectures are almost the same. I can't see another excuse for not having a BC. Was I talked in my last post, BC yeah I really want but if as a bonus Sony/Microsoft add resolution increase support could be a big win for next gen. Replaying all my PS4 catalogue with better resolution is a nice way to start a generation. So IMO if all this happen so next gen will be more exciting than the ps4/xbox generation.
Hope there is a decent feedback for the new dualshock.

Justin9mm

We cannot sure. Yes, Sony is out of E3 2019, but if this moves work I can't see why not 2020 too.
Only this year we'll know if get out o E3 was a smart idea.
No I know this is true, If you know business, history, logic and common sense, what I said is what will happen, feel fee to come back to this post so I can say I told you so.

Fake

No I know this is true, If you know business, history, logic and common sense, what I said is what will happen, feel fee to come back to this post so I can say I told you so.
I don't normally abuse of old posts or others members guesses like 'I told you so' or 'aha, I was right. Take that'(resetera have a bunch of assholes in the same league) but keep that in mind. I not 100% sure and if you re-read my post Sony getting off this E3 gonna be the final test this year.
Even if I get the right prevision I'll not going into my post history to punch everyone who sayed I was wrong.

bitbydeath

We cannot sure. Yes, Sony is out of E3 2019, but if this moves work I can't see why not 2020 too.
Only this year we'll know if get out o E3 was a smart idea.

Maybe, I think they’re just shuffling conferences due to the upcoming PS5 announcement.

Dontero

Banned
Why are people shocked that Sony would skip E3 altogether from now on ?

E3 was created mainly for suits so they can decide what to stock for their shops because most of them didn't know what the fuck was going on in this business. While most of people here know that there were gaming mags etc. most of people didn't read them only few did. On E3 they could see directly how people react to some games and cut through bullshit PR about "next amazing game" and decide what to stock or not. Which game to get to publish etc.

Everybody was small back then so gathering in one place had positive benefits as shitload of people could walk from booth to booth looking at everyone products. There was enough space for everybody because gaming was not that big back then.

Times have changed and now E3 place is weird.

First of all most of gaming gone digital. There is no reason for most of important suits to even go there to see games, instead of traveling there they can just make phonecalls, look at presentation send over email, talk with managers etc directly instead of standing in booths like idiots.

Second gaming got really big. Back when gaming was small business place like E3 was benefit for everybody but now that gaming got big there is no reason to give competition screen time. There is no reason for big publishers to care for E3 when they want for all people to look at their games instead of competition.

This is why Blizzard is not at E3. Because their fans would see other games and they would play other games.
This is the reason why Nintendo skips press conferences alltogether and instead they release directs.

People learned that constant stream of information is better than one time event.
People learned that in such small space as gaming you don't want for other people to see other games.

Nintendo already bailed ship.
Sony pondered about it with PSX experience and now they are going to skip it possible to not return.
MS will be this year but without both Sony and Nintendo not that much people will care about E3 thus this will be probably their last E3.

Real victims of it will be smaller game developers and publishers because in shadow of those giants they could for a second have whole world watch their games and now they will have to spend massive amount of money just to get noticed.

rəddəM

Why are people shocked that Sony would skip E3 altogether from now on ?

E3 was created mainly for suits so they can decide what to stock for their shops because most of them didn't know what the fuck was going on in this business. While most of people here know that there were gaming mags etc. most of people didn't read them only few did. On E3 they could see directly how people react to some games and cut through bullshit PR about "next amazing game" and decide what to stock or not. Which game to get to publish etc.

Everybody was small back then so gathering in one place had positive benefits as shitload of people could walk from booth to booth looking at everyone products. There was enough space for everybody because gaming was not that big back then.

Times have changed and now E3 place is weird.

First of all most of gaming gone digital. There is no reason for most of important suits to even go there to see games, instead of traveling there they can just make phonecalls, look at presentation send over email, talk with managers etc directly instead of standing in booths like idiots.

Second gaming got really big. Back when gaming was small business place like E3 was benefit for everybody but now that gaming got big there is no reason to give competition screen time. There is no reason for big publishers to care for E3 when they want for all people to look at their games instead of competition.

This is why Blizzard is not at E3. Because their fans would see other games and they would play other games.
This is the reason why Nintendo skips press conferences alltogether and instead they release directs.

People learned that constant stream of information is better than one time event.
People learned that in such small space as gaming you don't want for other people to see other games.

Nintendo already bailed ship.
Sony pondered about it with PSX experience and now they are going to skip it possible to not return.
MS will be this year but without both Sony and Nintendo not that much people will care about E3 thus this will be probably their last E3.

Real victims of it will be smaller game developers and publishers because in shadow of those giants they could for a second have whole world watch their games and now they will have to spend massive amount of money just to get noticed.
If Sony do only theirs events and stick with the internet they could see great marketing and fan interaction improvements.
They could transform PSX into theirs E3 and come up with another one.
I like theirs behind the scenes panels and when studios share their processes of creation.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
PSX is de-facto already their E3.

VGAs also seems like better place to announce big stuff than E3, much wider public will see those.

Some things feel off. The PS5's 6C / 12Th Zen 2 would look awkward next to the PS4's 8C / 8Th from a marketing perspective. 16GB GDDR6 seems like overkill. 60hz is not amazing for VR. Owning both an Oculus Rift and a Samsung Gear VR, the Gear VR makes me feel motion sick with some games whereas the Rift feels more natural visually. The resolution on the PSVR2 also looks awkward.

Just a few things I noticed.

ZywyPL

Banned
16GB GDDR6 seems like overkill.

Minus 4GB for OS would leave 12GB for games, that have to be then split between CPU and GPU. X1X with 12GB does allow for native 4K and 4K textures, but in a large open world games, like RDR2 recently, you can easily tell the sacrifices have been made on the textures quality. And next-gen games will have even bigger, more detailed worlds, more objects, more draw distance, will hit native 4K more often (if not always) etc., and all that will require lot of memory. In a perfect scenario next-gen consoles should have 4GB DDR4 exclusively for the OS, and 16GB GDDR6 just for the games.

Kagero

I think Sony releases first. I don't think they should, but I think they will. If MS released first it will lose. Not enough time between the ONEX and next gen. Next gen systems will have to do better then 4K at 60fps. If they stick to this as a bullet point, it will be bad for all consoles. Games will look identical to how they look like now to the general public. They need to go bells and whistles on graphics detail and advance systems like destruction and physics. Games will need to look like pixar movies. This is my thought, and my wish. Even if it is done at 4k at 30 fps.

In a perfect scenario next-gen consoles should have 4GB DDR4 exclusively for the OS, and 16GB GDDR6 just for the games.

This is something I'm betting on. RAM is seemly becoming such a commodity these days. There are smartphones launching with 10GB RAM, which is utterly bonkers. Sure, it's not the same quality, but it's almost as if these days they've got so much of the stuff it's coming out of their ears.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If Pro is anything to go by then OS/UI might have a separate pool of cheaper RAM (DDR3L or DDR4L/X).
Sure, but some of the fast RAM will be still used by the OS else games will be bottlenecked by the “cheap RAM” and by transferring data back and forth.

Some services will be offloaded to a secondary CPU with its own cheap RAM pool, but some other need main CPU and GPU access to it. Sure, the faster and bigger the cheap RAM pool is and if you have a decently fast connection between the two SoC’s and their memory pools the more you can offload. Some low level components will be handled by the SDK for all the games and they need to run fast.
Not all of the OS memory is web browsers, background music, notifications, and other seemingly wasteful things from a game(r)’s point of view, so while they take some resources away they save time, resources, and money to devs that do not have to reimplement everything on their own for each title they make (see PS2 vs PS4 from a programmer’s point of view).

With that said, dedicating 5-8 GB of the fast memory pool dedicated to the OS is a bit much indeed and unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Minus 4GB for OS would leave 12GB for games, that have to be then split between CPU and GPU. X1X with 12GB does allow for native 4K and 4K textures, but in a large open world games, like RDR2 recently, you can easily tell the sacrifices have been made on the textures quality. And next-gen games will have even bigger, more detailed worlds, more objects, more draw distance, will hit native 4K more often (if not always) etc., and all that will require lot of memory. In a perfect scenario next-gen consoles should have 4GB DDR4 exclusively for the OS, and 16GB GDDR6 just for the games.

Xbox One X dedicates a portion of those 12 GB to the OS though. Only 9 GB, initially it was supposed to be 8 GB, are available exclusively to games to do as they please.

llien

With the way AMD pricing their latest card there's no way PS5 with Navi gona hit $400 price point

Navi 10 is smaller than Polaris (and is using GDDR6, according to leaks) poised to allow aggressive mid-range pricing.
Vega 7 with 16Gb of HBM2 ($300-ish only for me + interposer I was told) is a totally different fruit.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
The Youtube trope of "What's up? / What's going on!" in a loud voice seems to very much bother me.

Why are you asking me a question? I can't answer you. Also, calm down with that volume.

LordOfChaos

2020/21

$500 is the most reasonable price

Radeon VII is just an opportunistic card for being the first to 7nm, plus it's shared with the M150 accelerator so wasn't too much unique work. It's awkward already at the 700 dollar price tag at that, the 16GB of HBM2 putting a hard lower limit on pricing. Navi is supposedly launching middle first, like the 480 did, in 250-300 dollar cards.

Would be pretty comparable to what the PS4 was launching with in 2013 in that range, upper mid range card for the time.

Last edited:

Clear

PS5 will be announced this year, no doubt.

There's no downside to a full reveal in say December as it won't impact sales too badly in the holiday season. The only question for me is whether they'll tease anything before that, which I suspect will be down to whatever MS shows at E3.

Dontero

Banned
There won't be any reveal in December. IT is not how marketing works.
They have to announce it around April-June max July and then drum up PR campaign to sell it in December.
Imho Sony will do their own press conference like they did for PS4 in April or May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom