• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorian

Banned
There won't be any big difference between 10 and 12TF console assuming rest of the hardware is similar, one will run in 3840x2160 and the other in 3200x1800 or with (one tier) lower shadow quality/AO while keeping resolution. It's much smaller difference than what we have this gen in both X1/PS4 and Pro/X1X situations.

Whitecrow

10 TF at good use is better than 12 TF wasted.
10 TF is good enough for a console. Good power and affordability. PS4 have been a huge success because of that. Dont forget.

onQ123

There won't be any big difference between 10 and 12TF console assuming rest of the hardware is similar, one will run in 3840x2160 and the other in 3200x1800 or with (one tier) lower shadow quality/AO while keeping resolution. It's much smaller difference than what we have this gen in both X1/PS4 and Pro/X1X situations.

It's not even that big , 3200x1800 to 3840x2160 is around 40% but 10 to 12 is only 20%

onQ123

I wounder if PS5 will use ReRam

Western Digital show a time line of it being used as Ram & Storage in 2020

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1056...-storage-class-memory-for-specialpurpose-ssds

wd_fms_678_678x452.png

https://scholarsarchive.library.albany.edu/honorscollege_nano/2/

II. Project Summary

Technical Abstract

The driving force behind the semiconductor industry is twofold:

(1) Develop new material systems which exhibit novel or superior properties which can be exploited in various applications and devices.

(2) Decrease the size of constituent devices in order to make them more powerful and accessible to society.

The industry is currently facing barriers which will stall the scaling of memory and storage. In order to overcome these barriers, new materials and methods must be considered. Modern computers allocate separate space for information storage and information processing, the hard-drive and RAM respectively. Computer quality is directly related to the performance of these elements.

Resistive Random Access Memory, or ReRAM, shows superior switching speeds, requires less power, exhibits high endurance, and is compatible with current CMOS manufacturing processes. This proposal describes a method for the fabrication of ReRAM cells for use within single-site information storage and processing elements. By taking advantage of indefinite retention times, ReRAM can be used to store information. A read mechanism which does not alter the logic state of the ReRAM cell allows for information processing. The Phase I research program details the fabrication of hafnium oxide based ReRAM which will enable Single-Site Storage and Processing (S3P) technology.

Anticipated Results/Potential Commercial Applications

The scaling of both memory and storage elements has facilitated advances within aerospace, medicine, defense, and consumer electronics for several decades. These advances can be attributed to augmented processing power and product mobility as well as decreased power consumption. Companies are currently redirecting research efforts toward ReRAM for next generation Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) due to superior switching speed, lower power requirements, indefinite retention, and CMOS processing compatibility. The technology described in this proposal exploits these same characteristics in order to achieve Single-Site Storage and Processing (S3P). S3P technology as enabled by ReRAM will result in a drastic increase in electronic performance. Consolidation of the hard-drive and RAM eliminates the need for load times (programs will be executed at the site of storage), removes parasitic power losses associated with transferring information between the two elements, and decreases the amount of packaging required to house a chip. This translates as high speed, low power, and high mobility. S3P technology will be geared towards highly mobile and performance dependent tasks, such as those present in on-site medical treatment, military expeditions, and remote information processing. Applications will also be found in consumer electronics, particularly those centered on gaming and telecommunications. The proposed research program will focus on component development. The final product of Phase I will be a Process of Record (POR) which will be incorporated into the design of the S3P proof-of-concept to be developed in Phase II.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Why would Sonys launch line up consist of a 2016 port of gran
Good to see random japanese insider confirm the GTA 6 release window has moved up 2 years since the previous "leak" from the random swedish insider a few weeks ago.

I guess Rockstar is keeping all the other devs up to speed with weekly status meetings. Sounds like things are progressing well.

Got a link to this Swedish leak? I don't know if ive seen that one. Thanks!

Shin

Banned
Why would Sonys launch line up consist of a 2016 port of gran

Got a link to this Swedish leak? I don't know if ive seen that one. Thanks!
Not even worth giving the click, Rockstar wouldn't cannibalize RDR2 which just got released so yeah.
Even for possible made up lie it's beyond stupid to be believable.

Polyphony might be believable this time as Kaz said the car models could be used for future systems or something along those lines.
Then Sony goes on to showcase GT Sport at 8K and at 120Hz or was it 120FPS? I forgot, anyway all in all it would serve as an appetizer IMO until GT 7 is ready.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Not even worth giving the click, Rockstar wouldn't cannibalize RDR2 which just got released so yeah.
Even for possible made up lie it's beyond stupid to be believable.

Polyphony might be believable this time as Kaz said the car models could be used for future systems or something along those lines.
Then Sony goes on to showcase GT Sport at 8K and at 120Hz or was it 120FPS? I forgot, anyway all in all it would serve as an appetizer IMO until GT 7 is ready.

Mind sharing what the guy said?

I wounder if PS5 will use ReRam

Western Digital show a time line of it being used as Ram & Storage in 2020

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1056...-storage-class-memory-for-specialpurpose-ssds

wd_fms_678_678x452.png

As much as that would be cool, I doubt they will, we didn't even get a SATA 3.0 interface in the PS4 from what I could tell (pure SSD drives didn't really yield a drastic increase in load times in the PS4), but I am guessing on the PS5 worst case scenario it will be a Hybrid SSHD Sata 3.0 drive, but I am really really hoping they just go for a NVMe 4x interface from the start, I know the cost will be more in the beginning, but I think in the long term it is the way to go! Or at least have a base model PS5 with SSHD, but also offer a Pro model as well where the Pro model has NVMe, a beefier GPU with ray tracing, etc. I would gladly shell out a little more $$$ to have the stronger system.

onQ123

As much as that would be cool, I doubt they will, we didn't even get a SATA 3.0 interface in the PS4 from what I could tell (pure SSD drives didn't really yield a drastic increase in load times in the PS4), but I am guessing on the PS5 worst case scenario it will be a Hybrid SSHD Sata 3.0 drive, but I am really really hoping they just go for a NVMe 4x interface from the start, I know the cost will be more in the beginning, but I think in the long term it is the way to go! Or at least have a base model PS5 with SSHD, but also offer a Pro model as well where the Pro model has NVMe, a beefier GPU with ray tracing, etc. I would gladly shell out a little more $$$ to have the stronger system.

With ReRam you wouldn't have to load a game because the game would basically be in main memory & there is other benefits & from the look of things Crossbar & others are preparing ReRam for the mass market

https://www.crossbar-inc.com/en/products/t-series/

t-series-ip-cores.svg

t-series-key-characteristics.svg

ReThink Data Storage with 3D ReRAM
Faster Access to Big Data
Crossbar Resistive RAM (ReRAM) T series IP cores are an ideal choice for high-density, low-latency memory applications such as data center storage, mobile computing, consumer electronics and artificial intelligence. They offer high density, low latency, high performance and low power in a non-volatile memory solution.

The data integrity and operational characteristics exceed current 3D NAND Flash. Depending on the business model, the IP cores can be provided to customers as hard macros that can be integrated into SoC or FPGA devices or used as stand-alone memory chips.

Crossbar is enabling a new class of data storage solutions that benefit from the superior characteristics of Crossbar’s 3D ReRAM technologies. Supported densities are from 8Gbits (1GBytes) to 1 Terabyte, or custom sizes.

https://www.crossbar-inc.com/en/products/solutions/

solutions-nvme-ssd.svg

Compared to existing Flash-based NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD) solutions, Crossbar ReRAM technology drastically simplifies the NVMe controller and firmware design by reducing overall internal data management, delivering superior performance at the system level. ReRAM over-write capability without erase operation, small page support and inherently low latencies enable storage architects to develop NVMe SSDs at maximum 10us random read and write latency (10x better than NAND flash SSD), 6.4M random read and write IOPS@512B (10x better than NAND flash SSD).

The ReRAM based NVMe SSD solutions reduce the performance gap between data storage and CPU processing, and serve as the perfect Flash-based SSD replacement with greater endurance, reliability and low power consumption. ReRAM storage solutions are ideal for cloud computing, data center, mobile computing and artificial intelligence applications.

solutions-nvdimm.svg

The ReRAM-based NVDIMM solution is a non-volatile persistent memory solution that combines ReRAM memory chips, controller, firmware into a single memory subsystem. The solution delivers superior performance and non-volatility, enabling instant recovery if power is interrupted. NVDIMMs operate in the standard DRAM memory slots of servers to handle persistent data access at low latency, and high IOPS performance.

Thanks to the intrinsic superiocharacteristics of ReRAM over Flash, NVDIMMs can be dramatically simplified with optimized controller and firmware design. They deliver superior performance with maximum 4us random read and write latency (25x better than NAND flash SSD), 24M random read and write IOPS@512B (32x better than NAND flash SSD), greater endurance, reliability and low power consumption. ReRAM based NVDIMMs are ideal for cloud computing, data center, mobile computing and artificial intelligence applications.

consumer-electronics-key-characteristics.svg

ReThink User Experience with ReRAM
The World at Your Fingertips
Innovations in high-resolution displays drive demand for high-capacity storage solutions. A 4K ultra high-definition TV integrates 4X more pixels compared to 1080p full HD displays. The next generation 8K high resolution displays require 100 Mbytes of storage for a single raw picture. Even with the most advanced compression codecs, the high-definition multimedia content requires huge bandwidth to be written and read without pre-buffering. The end-user experience will suffer from the inherent latencies introduced by the design and physics constraints of optical disks and NAND-Flash based solid-state drives.

Crossbar’s ReRAM provides much faster read and write speeds and high-density capabilities to answer the challenge of high-resolution displays and high-definition pictures by enabling a new category of solid-state drives based on 3D ReRAM. The potential integration of CMOS logic and 3D ReRAM storage in a single die enables great possibilities to build more robust and secure digital right management (DRM) protected media storage solutions.

Read the “Consumer Electronics Application” white paper to learn more:

https://www.crossbar-inc.com/en/applications/mobile-computing/

mobile-computing-key-characteristics.svg

ReThink Mobile Computing with ReRAM
Fast, Low Energy, High Density ReRAM
Smartphones have changed the world and the daily life, work and entertainment of people around the globe. Wearable devices are changing the way people interact with the world. Mobile computing users expect to have smaller, more portable, high performance, low energy mobile devices. The deployed 4G networks and the dawn of 5G networks provide great bandwidth capabilities putting even more pressure on the mobile devices’ storage requirements.

Crossbar’s ReRAM memory technology delivers 100X lower read latencies, 1000x faster write performance, 20x lower energy compared to today’s best-in-class NAND flash memory. Integrating such high performance memory arrays on top of high-end application processors removes external memory bus bottlenecks, re-inventing mobile computing architectures with integrated ReRAM memory plus computing systems. Whether it’s a laptop, a tablet, or a smartphone, Crossbar ReRAM memory solutions are ideal for compact, robust, reliable and tightly integrated storage in mobile computing devices without sapping battery life.

THE:MILKMAN

So Richard thinks we have 2 years yet of current gen.

Scarlett from the off has been 2020 as agreed by all leaks. PS5 started out as 2019 then more recently there's been talk of a delay to 2020 (without a single piece of evidence) and now we find that Sony are locked down to a unheard of level.

Not even the big outlets have any info right now outside of dev kits are out there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So DF have made a new video. Time to temper spec expectations:

Mid-level specs are a given. They're not gonna repeat the 599 debacle.

Thats why the mid-gen refresh consoles were a good idea. Bump up the specs mid-gen to help maintain with what devs are putting out. Otherwise it would be a 7th gen repeat where games look and run like trash on console in those last couple years. The vanilla launch consoles will still pack more per dollar than the pc equivalent tho (which he also says in the video is not a good indicator of spec quality anyway)

Last edited:

onQ123

Ok that ReRAM stuff is otherworldly! O_O

When can we have it?

Study says that it could be competing with SSD as mass storage next year

RRAM was expected to be the first stand-alone technology to compete with 3D XPoint, but it has suffered repeated delays due to technical challenges. We presume that RRAM could return in the race for SCM after 2020, and possibly start competing with NAND for mass storage applications.

https://www.rram-info.com/yole-rram-will-return-stand-alone-scm-race-2020

http://www.yole.fr/Emerging_NVM_Memory_Activities_Webcasts.aspx#.XFDBKtQwjs0

woigemok

Banned
My prediction

XBX price drop to 299$
XB worm - 7.5TF 349$
XB Gorilla - 10TF 499$
Playstation 5 - 8TF 399$
Nintendo Switchless(portable only) - 249$

US market: New XBOX console is going to kick PS5 similar to 360 vs PS3 and Switch is the winner for the 3rd consecutive years in the US
EU market: Despite Playstation popularity in that region the sales are going to be shat in comparison to PS4.
Japan market: Nintendo Switchless will decrease Japanese workers productivity and make them useless.

XB animal = Dude Bro Gaming in a new generation
PS5 = Liberal destination and more censorship for Japanese tits
Switch = No censorship, No Metroid, No direct, No price drop

He clarified his remarks with now its just his guess but at this point it almost has to be totally back compat.

Also, PS4 was the only Sony console that didn't have BC. It is easy to forget that BC was once the NORM for Sony. MS didn't invent that idea, if PS5 has BC it wouldn't be revolutionary, it would just be Sony going back to its PS2 roots.

Gediminas

Banned
My prediction

XBX price drop to 299$
XB worm - 7.5TF 349$
XB Gorilla - 10TF 499$
Playstation 5 - 8TF 399$
Nintendo Switchless(portable only) - 249$

US market: New XBOX console is going to kick PS5 similar to 360 vs PS3 and Switch is the winner for the 3rd consecutive years in the US
EU market: Despite Playstation popularity in that region the sales are going to be shat in comparison to PS4.
Japan market: Nintendo Switchless will decrease Japanese workers productivity and make them useless.

XB animal = Dude Bro Gaming in a new generation
PS5 = Liberal destination and more censorship for Japanese tits
Switch = No censorship, No Metroid, No direct, No price drop

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Justin9mm

He clarified his remarks with now its just his guess but at this point it almost has to be totally back compat.

I don't know why BC is even brought up, it was an issue for the PS4 due to the previous hardware and architecture of PS3 and prior. When you talk PS4 to PS5 it's like saying but will this PC game run on my newer faster PC? As long as it has a disc drive, your physical games can be played. And your digital library will still be downloadable and playable.

Shin

Banned
So who said it's called Ariel, what's the origin of that?
Trying to remember where we got it from, I vaguely remember some MS-DOS / output screen, but wasn't that for Xbox?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Trying to remember where we got it from, I vaguely remember some MS-DOS / output screen, but wasn't that for Xbox?

Essentially, it should make for an awesome PSX presentation: Cerny as Ariel, Yoshida as Sebastian, and Phil Spencer or Reggie guest starring as Ursula (to be fair Bobby Kotick could do it too):

In serious notes not sure why they are going from The Matrix to Disney either (as someone far smarter than I already said)...

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I wonder if Tetsu Sumii will design the PS5 (he's the designer of the PS4, was briefly on stage with Andrew House).
Looking at his career progression within Sony it seems to indicate that, PS4 impressed so much that he got promoted to Chief Art Director.
Timeline would be around the time one would start designing the box itself, not a far fetched idea and is the second person to show "close to home" movement (other being Masayasu Ito).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tetsu-sumii-01011725/

5528f4e3f7.png

LordOfChaos

So DF have made a new video. Time to temper spec expectations:

Very good points on sources. The number of images of terminal windows or official looking documents out there is crazy. No reputable source, assume it's bull.

No, a screenshot of what looks like a terminal window with some words in it isn't a source.

wvnative

I wonder if Tetsu Sumii will design the PS5 (he's the designer of the PS4, was briefly on stage with Andrew House).
Looking at his career progression within Sony it seems to indicate that, PS4 impressed so much that he got promoted to Chief Art Director.
Timeline would be around the time one would start designing the box itself, not a far fetched idea and is the second person to show "close to home" movement (other being Masayasu Ito).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tetsu-sumii-01011725/

5528f4e3f7.png

Oh god I hope he at least does something different. Hate the PS4's "Slit" Design. Getting some USB devices into the tiny slits is annoying and the ports can be hard to see and I generally just don't like the PS4's design language.

onQ123

I been thinking about how GDDR6 prices are a little bit too high for a big jump in memory using just GDDR6 & it has me thinking that Sony or MS might just add a larger cache of 512MB - 1GB to the GPU then use a large pool of slower RAM.

Meh3D

This was from AMDs desktop APU listing that is part of the AM4 platform. Which has nothing to do with either Sony or Xbox consoles.

I came across this in Anandtech who reported this properly.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I been thinking about how GDDR6 prices are a little bit too high for a big jump in memory using just GDDR6 & it has me thinking that Sony or MS might just add a larger cache of 512MB - 1GB to the GPU then use a large pool of slower RAM.

The vengeance of ESRAM :/?

Octo channel DDR5(not GDDR)and massive cache of eSRAM?

PS4 is 8gb GDDR5 and X is 12gb GDDR5.

If next gen was 8gb of GDDR6 + a good cpu bump (like all the rumours say), would that be enough for solid 4k/60 fps gaming?

Of would they need at least a minimum GDDR 6 of ____ gb (fill in the blank) to get high spec 4k/60?

Ten_Fold

Next gen got me all excited, I expect mid to high specs for the new consoles, maybe not the best of the best that’s going to be out at that time which is ok. As long as there’s a nice leap in tech I’m good.

I am willing to bet that they also release two SKUs, I bet one is a 'lite' model that is discless and a 'standard' model that has all the bell and whistles.

Meowzers

Credible sauce?

Is it Sweet chilli or the type of sauce you find at the back of the refridgerator a year after opening?

DanielsM

Banned
It's a devkit, no way is the retail going to have 32GB. I still think its going to be $449, but I'm ok with $499.

Yeah, the dev kit is most probably going to have more than the final product, he is just saying the dev kit has 32.

Why even mention that it can support Game Streaming via the internet?

Kind of like Remote Play was out of the box, meaning tools for the devs to use. There are rumors you'll be able to pickup where you left off from device to device as well with PS. (possibly why it was mentioned?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom