• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your tattoos

All my tats for the moment, sorry for such a big post. I want more.

Sorry, but those are just awful. The tattoo "artist(s)" should be banned.

Real tatoo artist at work.
gaddningcnalb.jpg

SephriJ

Sorry, but those are just awful. The tattoo "artist" should be banned.

I am content with them, they look better than the images from my LG phone in my opinion. 2 of them were from the same Tattoo shop but different artists, all the other ones were from different places and so on.

Wrists: One Ring Inscription
Forearms: Squares the size of Rubik's cubes
Collarbone: Star Wars emblems (Jedi, Sith, Mandalorians, Empire, Rebellion)

IMG_0073_zpse024ff51.jpg

Nice, I really like the placement of the Star Wars symbols. Any reason you decided to just get them all black and not colour?

Holy crap, this is awesome! Definitely keep us updated as it progresses.

Will do. Next session in just over a week.

tumblr_m9mwcmvfkf1r4ly8qo1_500.jpg

Could any artist get anywhere close to this?

Yes. It may not look exactly the same as a tattoo, but a decent tattoo artist could definitely pull this off.

DatDude

Banned
Hi tat gaf, I have some questions for you guys.

I'm considering getting my first tat. I want one forearm to say "Memento Mori", and on the other forearm to say "Memento Vivere" But I have a few questions?

1. Should I bring a image to the artist of what I want, style wise?
2. How do I find the most competent artist? While it's just words, I don't want it to get fucked up and be as if it was some ametuer ghetto tat.
3. How much should I expect to pay? Is it by how long it takes to complete? If so what do you guys imagine would be a fair price to have the mentioned tats^

Thanks.

Drain You

1: If you have a style in mind and an image that shows it bring it. Also don't go to any tattoo artists, talk to a few, express your ideas, look at their previous works. Get a feel for them.
2: Like I said talk to a bunch of them, decent tattoo artists will give you the time of day and talk to you about what they excel at and what they don't. Also if you have friends with tattoos talk to them about their experiences and see who they prefer.
3: This question is kinda hard for me to answer but I generally hear most tattoo artists charge between 75-100$ an hour. I find this part hard to judge because you don't know how much time they devote to sketching and drawing your tattoo before hand. For what it is worth though my artist is a family friend of mine and I usually end up paying 50$ an hour plus a tip.

DatDude

Banned
1: If you have a style in mind and an image that shows it bring it. Also don't go to any tattoo artists, talk to a few, express your ideas, look at their previous works. Get a feel for them.
2: Like I said talk to a bunch of them, decent tattoo artists will give you the time of day and talk to you about what they excel at and what they don't. Also if you have friends with tattoos talk to them about their experiences and see who they prefer.
3: This question is kinda hard for me to answer but I generally hear most tattoo artists charge between 75-100$ an hour. I find this part hard to judge because you don't know how much time they devote to sketching and drawing your tattoo before hand. For what it is worth though my artist is a family friend of mine and I usually end up paying 50$ an hour plus a tip.

Thanks for the reply back!

Clone Outcast

Neo Member
Nice, I really like the placement of the Star Wars symbols. Any reason you decided to just get them all black and not colour?

Not a fan of colour. Colour fades and has to be touched up more. I like simple black or low colour tattoos. Hopefully I'll have some colour tattoos in the distant future but for now I'm ok with all black.

Doomsayer

This is my latest one...

It was really tough to get a picture of on the side of my calf.

I think it came out pretty awesome though. Need to get a few little pieces touched up and then its on to my sleeve!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Had this done somewhat recently, 11 hours of pain, completely worth it. Wraps all the way around my forearm with the body of the dragon on the back.

8qquFoA.jpg

BSSTYDI.jpg

mhnl2NR.jpg

LkRknjh.jpg

MjFrancis

I am curious as to how well this tattoo ages. One of the advantages of good American Traditional and other simple designs is that they should look almost as good thirty years from the day it was etched on your skin. I've heard the incredibly detailed ones like this don't fare as well.

All the same, that is fucking awesome ink.

I would commission a piece from that artist in a heartbeat.

Damn.

What area hurts the most? I was thinking the back because of the bone and shit.

Planning on getting one..someday.

Nice. Gotta ask though, how much did that hurt? I know you have more tattoos elsewhere so you can compare what's hurt the most lol. I've been playing with the idea of getting something in the same place and partly on my stomach to hide some ugly ass surgery scars but not for a long time yet and not if I can forget about the scars after they've become less red. Anyway I'd be too much of a chicken to get anything that big there :D Also I'm ticklish there so I can imagine twitching and jumping during the tattooing and punching the artist in the head as a reflex. Back tattoos were easy.

Around the eyes and nose was the worst bit suprisingly, but it confirms the theory that the more it tickles the more it will hurt. Closer to stomach was worse. Very sharp sting mixed with the nerve reactions associated with tickling.
The rose area was fine, bit boney there but it was a nice sensation, relaxing compared to the rest of it, honestly like a 2 painwise, maybe I was just a bit numb by then, it was a cold day.
The artist thought the top of the skull would be the worst, but after having my sternum done nothing really worries me anymore, lol. That still rates as more painful.
Healing pretty quick, full-blown itch happening today.

You can't make your ink choices based on pain.. it's really not that bad, you'd be silly to miss out on doing what you really want and having something that flows beautifully with your body and lasts a lifetime. You settle into it after a few minutes, just relax and enjoy the experience, helps if you get along well with your artist.

Does it not bother some of you that your tattoos aren't perfect? I mean, this is permanenet shit on your skin, and often obvious to the public. I love tattoos, and some of them are amazng... but when I see half assed or cliched designs with wiggly lines and poor styling, I cringe. If I ever get one, Im spending a lot fo money to get it right.

Übermatik;57301050 said:
Does it not bother some of you that your tattoos aren't perfect? I mean, this is permanenet shit on your skin, and often obvious to the public. I love tattoos, and some of them are amazng... but when I see half assed or cliched designs with wiggly lines and poor styling, I cringe. If I ever get one, Im spending a lot fo money to get it right.

It bothers me. The problems I have with mine can easily be addressed with a touch up. I've just been too lazy and cheap to get one and my ink doesn't look bad anyway so I've put it off. In the future, I have every intention of sparing no expense and making sure my next tattoo is done by someone with an outstanding portfolio. Simply working in or owning a tattoo parlor isn't enough for me to pull the trigger.

It bothers me. The problems I have with mine can easily be addressed with a touch up. I've just been too lazy and cheap to get one and my ink doesn't look bad anyway so I've put it off. In the future, I have every intention of sparing no expense and making sure my next tattoo is done by someone with an outstanding portfolio. Simply working in or owning a tattoo parlor isn't enough for me to pull the trigger.

There's a feq questionable designs around too... like no offence to the guy that got it, but a few pages back someone had a Moogle from Final Fantasy tattooed on their arm. Isn't that awkward to explain? And as 'cute' as it is, that's there forever... if I get one, it's going to be a design that means a lot to me - something, perhaps, that I design myself so I can wear it with pride. My own crest or symbol or something.

*Edit* Just as another point too, I love the idea of getting a Hindu Om symbol on my upper back or something - but I wouldn't because it's a religious graphic and I'm not Hindu. Does that make sense? It looks cool, I guess, but it represents something that I am not.

Übermatik;57301590 said:
There's a feq questionable designs around too... like no offence to the guy that got it, but a few pages back someone had a Moogle from Final Fantasy tattooed on their arm. Isn't that awkward to explain? And as 'cute' as it is, that's there forever... if I get one, it's going to be a design that means a lot to me - something, perhaps, that I design myself so I can wear it with pride. My own crest or symbol or something.

*Edit* Just as another point too, I love the idea of getting a Hindu Om symbol on my upper back or something - but I wouldn't because it's a religious graphic and I'm not Hindu. Does that make sense? It looks cool, I guess, but it represents something that I am not.

I have a Star Wars tattoo, so I can understand where you're coming from in regards to mulling over the permanence of such a procedure. I made a conscious decision to get the tattoo in a place typically covered by a shirt and I picked an image that could really only be identified as a Star Wars image by fans of the series. There have been a few times where I told a girl it was simply tribal (I know, I'm a tool) and they ate it up. This has made the permanence factor practically a non-issue. It's also situated in a place where the human body contains very little fat, so I don't run that high a risk of it becoming distorted if/when I ever get fat or wrinkly something.

But because Star Wars is so important to who I am (it shaped what I believe, what I value, what I'm interested in, what I want to do with my life, and the way I perceive social hierarchies) that I don't necessarily care what anybody else thinks about it. When you get your first tattoo, that should be the mentality you have. I'm not saying nobody's advice is valuable, but ultimately, you have to feel passionately about what you're putting on your body. Hindu imagery might look cool, but like you said, it's not really you in a sense. Consider designing something yourself (which you also mentioned) or wait until you come across an image that you really feel strongly about, not just because it looks cool, but because it's an extension of yourself. Tattoos can be a very unique form of personal expression.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Übermatik;57301590 said:

I'm not perfect, I certainly don't expect my tattoos to be either. Of course I don't want them to looks like a dogshit but if a line isn't quite right or a proportion is slightly out of wack, it doesn't bother me. I'm out of wack and my proportions are a little fucked up too. As long as they are for the most part well done and convey/represent what I intended them too.

As for certain symbols, everything means something different to whomever is getting it. You may not feel comfortable getting an Om, but I have one because I was born in India, and raised in Asia, despite not being Hindu or Asian. Those cultures are a part of who I am and growing up there built a large part of my identity.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I should really get around to getting another tattoo and filling in my current one. Been too lazy and lack of funds don't help.

I'm thinking the Sheikah symbol from Zelda somewhere around my back. Who knows, I'l give it more thought.

Salsa

yeah ive been wanting to get another tattoo for a while now, probably Blade Runner-themed

either paper unicorn or owl, but I dont really trust artists around here to pull off a convincing looking robot-eyed owl

MooseKing

Banned
I love this. Wonder if someone can draw up an Aztec warrior in the same style.

The style is called American Traditional. You can do pretty much anything in it.

Although it looks simple, it is not easy to do at all. It has a clear definition of what it is, and if it's done wrong, anyone who knows tattoos will think you look like an idiot.

tumblr_lvhkjfIdOA1qc86yco1_500.jpg

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
So, this is a tattoo that I immensely enjoy. I don't want to just straight copy it, but I wouldn't mind something similar to it. Please pardon the footer, I hate myself for even finding it on that site, but its the only one I could find.

i9kF6Tb.jpg

So, this is a tattoo that I immensely enjoy. I don't want to just straight copy it, but I wouldn't mind something similar to it. Please pardon the footer, I hate myself for even finding it on that site, but its the only one I could find.

i9kF6Tb.jpg

I've seen ships on an arm in this style. Gorgeous.

Raptor

Badass tattoos all around.

I have various ones not so great, I have the StarWars logo with a roman III on teh background on my upper arm, a self made sun on my leg, my wife's name on my other arm, not se great either was my design but the friend that made it was drunk I think, that was 15 years ago.

Top Bottom