• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

rCIZZLE

Well my party chat is suddenly broken and KZ is crashing regularly. No clue why the problems start now. They don't even seem Christmas-rush related.

Are there any good AR games for the camera on the PS Store? I can't find anything. My 4 yr old loves the little robots in Playroom, and I was hoping to find something a little more involved.

PSN is getting slammed right now, it's almost as bad as it was on launch day.

I'm not going to try and renew my Plus until after the New Year when it dies down a bit.

Vizzeh

Banned
Food for thought anyone trying. . My 2012 (top end model) supports black level high and well fully calibrated looks and runs great BUT.. it seems to respond and look better/smoother in limited/calibrated ofc. Best way to describe it is that it seems "native"

Oh, that actually isn't Sony's fault. Hardware components sometimes fail inexplicably and without warning. May have been a defective Blu-Ray drive.

It's actually happening to a lot of people, I searched the error code and seems others are having the same issue. I'm sure the issue won't be brought up here though.

Got a PS4 today and while I am absolutely in love with the system so far, I am having some horrible technical issues with it.

Played Resogun for 10 minutes when I first got the console....fan suddenly went loud and then the system turned off. Must have tried a few times after that with the same result. Then I tried Killzone and it didn't even make it through the intro cutscene before the console switched off.

Tried rebuilding the database to no avail, also tried doing the initialise ps4 (reinstall system software) but for whatever reason the console isn't recognising my USB stick so even that is going against me.

Anything else I can do to possible fix this or is there an issue with the system fans?
Going to ring up the retailer that I got it from tomorrow and potentially even Sony if they cant help me.... :(

wapplew

VPN? Any suggestions?

Netflix doesn't work as well. Blah.

I use DNS, you can get free or paid DNS service. I use Unotelly, and can get 1 year free if you share them on social network.

Everything is working for me, netflix, BBC, Huluplus, Vidzone except Music unlimited and Video unlimited.
For Netflix, you need a active netflix account though or else it will say not available for your region even you changed DNS.
All PSN account can access those app too.

Zoe

Got a PS4 today and while I am absolutely in love with the system so far, I am having some horrible technical issues with it.

Played Resogun for 10 minutes when I first got the console....fan suddenly went loud and then the system turned off. Must have tried a few times after that with the same result. Then I tried Killzone and it didn't even make it through the intro cutscene before the console switched off.

Tried rebuilding the database to no avail, also tried doing the initialise ps4 (reinstall system software) but for whatever reason the console isn't recognising my USB stick so even that is going against me.

Anything else I can do to possible fix this or is there an issue with the system fans?
Going to ring up the retailer that I got it from tomorrow and potentially even Sony if they cant help me.... :(
Have you tried moving it to get more space?

So I got a PS4 today, set it all up and turned it on. Nothing comes up on the screen and the system has a flashing blue light. Turn it off and on and eventually starts to work. I was playing Assassin's Creed for a while then left. Turned it back on later and it worked, I was browsing the main menu a bit then the screen started tearing and it just went black. Now it's back to the pulsing blue lights when I try and turn it on. Can't even get into the safe mode. So is my PS4 fucked or am I doing something wrong?

So I got a PS4 today, set it all up and turned it on. Nothing comes up on the screen and the system has a flashing blue light. Turn it off and on and eventually starts to work. I was playing Assassin's Creed for a while then left. Turned it back on later and it worked, I was browsing the main menu a bit then the screen started tearing and it just went black. Now it's back to the pulsing blue lights when I try and turn it on. Can't even get into the safe mode. So is my PS4 fucked or am I doing something wrong?

If you're using the hdmi cable that came with the system i would try using another cable.!

subrock

I have a morbid curiosity about how many people got a ps4 today, only to plug it in and have it be bricked. I got a couple games today but just had to set them beside my cold and dead ps4

I have a morbid curiosity about how many people got a ps4 today, only to plug it in and have it be bricked. I got a couple games today but just had to set them beside my cold and dead ps4

Seems like the people with this issue all got them from Amazon. I honestly blame UPS and their shitty service. Seriously why the fuck can't Amazon use Fedex? Seems like a ton of people got PS4s for Christmas though, There is about 17k more players on BF4 right now than yesterday.

I asked for a controller for Xmas as I'm getting a PS4 in March/April and I thought I could use the controller in the meantime as a 2nd PC controller. I open up the box and it comes with no charging cord.

Wat.

Shit. Sounds like your system is drawing too much current or thermal management is shutting it off. Sorry man.

It took a few hours to get used to, but the DS4 has now replaced the 360 pad as the best controller ever made in my opinion. I have a silicone skin on it for extra grip and it is pure bliss to play games with.

It's incredible for shooters too. There something about these analog sticks. I feel significantly more accurate in KZSF multiplayer (which has no auto-aim) than I did in any shooter with auto-aim on X360 or PS3.

Very excited for the future of this console and what this gen has in store.

AmyS

I've had PS4 since Nov 15th, started playing on the 16th, Haven't had a single problem with the hardware. Sooo glad I didn't get mine from Amazon. Decided just on a whim to walk into a GameStop in Waukegan, IL (about 40 miles north of Chicago) the afternoon of the 14th without a preorder.

Got the GS 1 yr warranty just to be safe though.

So I just went to swap over an Xbox One game I ended up with two copies of over christmas and also put some extra money down on my PS4 order due for early feb. Lady said I can take one home today, which I did!

Didn't buy any games though. Killzone doesn't interest me so it will just be PS+ stuff until Infamous or Driveclub comes out.

So I just went to swap over an Xbox One game I ended up with two copies of over christmas and also put some extra money down on my PS4 order due for early feb. Lady said I can take one home today, which I did!

Didn't buy any games though. Killzone doesn't interest me so it will just be PS+ stuff until Infamous or Driveclub comes out.

Resogun is amazing, and it comes free with PS+

Vibranium

Banned
I got a PS4 for Christmas finally and Shadow Fall. I still have to hook it up with my new TV tomorrow hehe.

And AC4 and Resogun are the other targets on my games list for the time being I guess. Can't wait to jump in.

Azriell

I have a couple of strange problems, maybe GAF can help. First, my d/l connection is only showing at ~500 kb/s, while my up is ~2.5mb. I did a speedtest just to see, and it shows my PC at 85mb/s down. I tried setting DMZ, tried port forwarding, tried wifi instead of wired. Nothing changes. I'm hoping this has something to do with the servers getting slammed today, but it's still pretty worrisome.

Second problem: I played CoD for about an hour. Matches varied, but for several of them my connection seemed fine. During the last one I got slaughtered repeatedly and lost just about every encounter I had. That's not the second problem, sorry! The second problem is that after I turned CoD off, I went onto PSN to download my PS+ games.. only for some reason it doesn't seem to show me as having PS+. I click on PS+ in the store under "games", and it just takes me to the buy screen. I have PS+ on my Vita. I obviously have PS+ on my PS4, because I was playing online moments before going on the store. Is it possible I set my account up wrong? I'm somewhat new to the new Sony infrastructure, but my account looks like the same one as my Vita (trophy number looks right, same avatar). Any thoughts?

Edit: I checked my profile, it shows the PS+ icon by my name, but still PSN doesn't reflect this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
ugh...guess i forgot to turn off auto-renewal for Music Unlimited and the 30-day trial just ended and renewed me. Sony's x-mas present to me I guess.

Could have sworn I had turned it off when I first signed up as that and removing my CC from my account is what I normally do. But yeah it guess it is my fault. I might have misinterpreted this description that and I had my $10 credit in there:

Automatically Add Funds to Renew Subscriptions or Pay for Pre-ordered Content (Set to No)

If I call them up tomorrow are they pretty good about refunding money to your wallet or is that a no go?

ugh...guess i forgot to turn off auto-renewal for Music Unlimited and the 30-day trial just ended and renewed me. Sony's x-mas present to me I guess.

Could have sworn I had turned it off when I first signed up as that and removing my CC from my account is what I normally do. But yeah it guess it is my fault. If I call them up tomorrow are they pretty good about refunding money to your wallet or is that a no go?

That's how they get you bro. 30 days trial with a CC mandatory and a lot of people get trapped.

RedAssedApe

Banned
That's how they get you bro. 30 days trial with a CC mandatory and a lot of people get trapped.

Haha...didn't have my CC in there though. It just took $10 from my PS Wallet. CC would have actually been better as I can dispute those type of things with my CC company and just get credited by them.

Danj

ugh...guess i forgot to turn off auto-renewal for Music Unlimited and the 30-day trial just ended and renewed me.

Where do you check the Unlimited subscription things? I don't think I've subscribed but with the amount of people reporting this I better check.

RedAssedApe

Banned

pubba

I got my US launch PS4 from Amazon shipped to me here in China, and haven't had any hardware problems. I was a bit worried because the people who packed it placed the protective air-filled baggies on just one side of the box. The other side of the box was up flat against the box wall.

To the folks who are having loud fan issues, how is your PS4 sitting? My PS4 was super loud during Killzone when it was sitting vertically, but much less so when I lay the PS4 horizontally.

Resogun is extremely challenging. For me anyway. Has been years since I have played any arcade style game like it though. Quite a neat little game.

I opened Contrast to check it out and quit after about 10minutes, I just don't like to look of it. Not for me.

Downloaded Warframe and will check it out for something to play with a friend despite being primarily a PC gamer, but it's free so why not.

Bring on InFamous and DriveClub already!

UI is very fast compared to X1. Loading trophies, friends, settings etc doesn't have an annoying load time in between each one which is very nice.

Hurley

I posted this in the hardware thread but hopefully someone here can give me an idea of what is going on and if it's a serious hardware problem

Just had my PS4 turn off during a game for the first time.

I was playing Zen Pinball 2 and the screen went black with the the little loading circle then turned off.

Turned it back on and it went into safe mode, rebuilt database then restarted still safe mode. Turned it off at the wall this time and unplugged it for about a minute, turned it back on, beeped twice really quickly after the playstation logo, then went into the os and did like a scan thing or error checking, can't quite remember but after that it went to the home screen. Seems to be okay now though. Just worried it's something serious.

JHM

I was going to buy Xbone but MS messed the release date in my country. So ended picking up PS4 Killzone bundle as Christmas present for myself. Haven't played much yet but loving Resogun already.

FranXico

I posted this in the hardware thread but hopefully someone here can give me an idea of what is going on and if it's a serious hardware problem

Just had my PS4 turn off during a game for the first time.

I was playing Zen Pinball 2 and the screen went black with the the little loading circle then turned off.

Turned it back on and it went into safe mode, rebuilt database then restarted still safe mode. Turned it off at the wall this time and unplugged it for about a minute, turned it back on, beeped twice really quickly after the playstation logo, then went into the os and did like a scan thing or error checking, can't quite remember but after that it went to the home screen. Seems to be okay now though. Just worried it's something serious.

One other thing to watch out for in addition to overheating is current spikes, they can cause a console to shut itself down abruptly. Not much one can do about it, I guess, except perhaps use a UPS.

def sim

PS3 digital code for Black Flag is at $35 on Amazon. I'm glad I did not jump on it the other week! Upgrading to the PS4 version makes it only an okay deal, but whatevs.

arimanius

Is anyone playing multiplayer over wifi? How well does it work? My Ps4 didn't like my tuner so moved it to the bedroom where I don't have a network drop.

Top Bottom