• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

So I got plenty of GameStop GC's for Xmas but I'm going all digital on my PS4. Do I have no use for Gamestop or do they sell digital codes for full games?

anddo0

PSN won't even load my friends list. Worst yet when I try to send messages it brings up someone else's list of friend names.

How do I disable or adjust the volume of the controller?

I'm playing Killzone and every time I pickup an audiolog it blasts sound out of the controller. I play with headphones on so I don't disturb my son while he's sleeping, and it was quite a surprise when I picked up my first audio log.

Is there any way to have it just go through my headphones, like the rest of the sound?

I checked out the in-game audio options and couldn't find anything.

Smokey

Can't play NFS Rivals. Just stuck on connecting to EA servers with a popup that says Sony Entertainment Network is currently busy in the upper right hand corner. Good to know when the network goes to shit I can't play my games.

Fun stuff

Hold down the PS button and then go to Adjust Devices. There you can select the volume and whether or not you only want to hear chat or also game audio through the headset connected to the DS4.

*sigh*

System settings! *facepalm*

I guess that should have been pretty obvious.

Thank you!

Mt friends list won't show up neither can I send messages, but oddly enough I can play BF4? And it's working so smoothly too. Better than when the network is up and running. Idky.. Weird.

Knight77

Two questions my friend:

1. If I am already PSN Plus member and I use the code given with the console, what happens? Does it works? Add more days to the deadline of mines?

2. I found the first two Assassin's Creed technically good but boring and repetitive in the gameplay, do you think I could like Black Flag? Is it true that its different from the others?

Thanks!

Well finally, got to play my PS4 at Christmas and I am pretty impressed. It is a top rate piece of hardware, just like the Vita.

Interface
Very streamlined and slick. Easy to get to grips with and downloading when in stanby is especially useful. For me, it seems to exit the games when in standby, which is rather annoying. Wish it functioned like the Vita with this issue.

Controller

Comfortable. I had no real problems with the PS3 controller but this seems a little more weighty and the touchpad is actually a really nice addition. It is especially useful for combat wheels. Should be great for the Witcher 3!

Games

Killzone
Overall it seems a very solid launch effort. Objectives can be a little confusing and the game is a lot more fast paced than previous games in the series to me. Not so much cover shooting. I think it has gone a little too much the other way, a bit twitchy. No aim assist takes a little getting used to, but it is probably for the better. Graphics are really good as expected. It can be surprisingly garish at times, and a little cartoony, but textures, AA, effects, they are all there. When it comes together it very impressive. Narrative and transitions between locations should be more seemless. Also hopefully no prerendered cutscenes in the future (although I know they mask loading). They look the same as gameplay sure, but I want seemless transitions.

Knack
Solid game in my opinion. Old school game with no frills and little character, but it is fun enough to play and the visuals are pretty nice, though lacking in fancy effects and the environments are a bit simple (though they have some great geometry).

Assassins Creed IV
This is clearly a cross gen game but it is pretty impressive nonetheless. Premise and setting make for a more interesting gameplay scenario than previous AC games, and freedom afforded by the sailing element is something i have always wanted in these types of games. Visuals are very clean and attractive though still clearly rooted in the previous gen. We are at the stage, however, where even these enhanced ports look pretty darn impressive.

Overall, very pleased with my PS4 and not really concerned about the drought over the next few months since I won't be able to play it for a few months. Next time I have the opportunity I will be able to pick up Infamous.

StoopKid

Mt friends list won't show up neither can I send messages, but oddly enough I can play BF4? And it's working so smoothly too. Better than when the network is up and running. Idky.. Weird.

Just now noticed that I'm playing 2k and connected to there servers.

But can't check my friend list.

Pretty embarassing Sony is having these network issues. They need to upgrade the numbers or servers asap. It's only going to get worse when more and more people keep buying PS4s plus having to have the network up for PS3 users as well.

Artorias

Banned

Was just about to ask and make sure others are having trouble too. It won't load up my trophies, it has a - next to plat/gold/silver/bronze. It's freakin me out!

I'm nervous to play a game because I'm not sure my trophies will be counted. It's also not showing my avatar. First time I've seen this but I haven't played it in like a week.

Was just about to ask and make sure others are having trouble too. It won't load up my trophies, it has a - next to plat/gold/silver/bronze. It's freakin me out!

I'm nervous to play a game because I'm not sure my trophies will be counted. It's also not showing my avatar. First time I've seen this but I haven't played it in like a week.

I believe trophies are saved system side and then synced to online so there should be no issues with that...

Been on hold for 30 min with sony customer support to get my ps4 repaired. They should give me a free game for waiting this long!

You know what, ask and see what they say. Ask to speak to a supervisor and see what else they can do for the inconvenience. I want to hear what happens.

Just now noticed that I'm playing 2k and connected to there servers.

But can't check my friend list.

Yeah same here. Can play BF4 but can't see friends.

I haven't tried trophies but I'll try and see what happens.

Edit: Nope, server issue.

After hearing someone elses PS4 while playing games I'm fairly sure mine is broken or something. The fans just gear up way too easily and it's easy to hear.

Might take it to a Sony store.

Omiee

quick question

i live in holland, if i order ghosts and black flag from amazon.co.uk

can i upgrade them from the dutch store or do i need an uk account

will dlc from the dutch store work or only from the uk store?

Dunlop

knock on wood, my PS4 has run flawlessly...but I picked up Lego Marvel for my kids and that game has bugged out half a dozen times now

Havent touched my ps4 since beating KZ two weeks ago, I knew what I was getting into with a lacunch console but I want to play some games on it, looks like Ill be waiting for Theif and psn+ Dont Starve.

NahNever

Banned
Why the hell are the UK prices for games still so fucking expensive?

Looks at these prices on Amazon (who are usually the cheapest) -

KZ:SF: £48.00

Battlefield 4: £48.00

AC: 4: £49.00

CoD: £45.00

Need for Speed: £48.00

Even Knack is £40.00 for goodness sake. And then when you compare all of these to the US prices just simply adds further insult. I simply refuse to buy any further games till the prices come down.

Hasney

Why the hell are the UK prices for games still so fucking expensive?

Looks at these prices on Amazon (who are usually the cheapest) -

KZ:SF: £48.00

Battlefield 4: £48.00

AC: 4: £49.00

CoD: £45.00

Need for Speed: £48.00

Even Knack is £40.00 for goodness sake. And then when you compare all of these to the US prices just simply adds further insult. I simply refuse to buy any further games till the prices come down.

Just buy them from Amazon.com like a lot of us are doing then. No point in paying UK prices for anything anymore.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Do you g uys know if the Official PS3 Headset that came with Socom Confrontation works on PS4?

Dunno if this is the right thread, sowwy.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wish the DS4 wasn't glossy near the face buttons and d-pad. Gets smudg-y and dirty and when you wipe it down even with a soft lens cloth it starts showing scratches. my ocddd

Do you g uys know if the Official PS3 Headset that came with Socom Confrontation works on PS4?

Dunno if this is the right thread, sowwy.

Is that the bluetooth headset? If so...I don't think so.

I wonder if this is messing with Remote Play. I cant connect to my PS4 through internet or directly. I tried to add the device again and when I input the code on screen it says it cant do it. About to go on a vacation and would love to have this setup before I leave.

Melchiah

So, made some PS4 avatar badges for the community. I can't actually remember if I've seen PS avy badges on GAF before, so thought I'd make some.

They come in two sizes, and all 4 corners.

Regular size:

ps4-badge-med-bldvulr.png
ps4-badge-med-brt7uz9.png
ps4-badge-med-tlbnu0k.png
ps4-badge-med-trpmuxv.png

Smaller size:

ps4-badge-small-tlf5uq2.png
ps4-badge-small-trjrugb.png
ps4-badge-small-blhyuzu.png
ps4-badge-small-brnkusu.png

Examples:

ps4-badge-demo-baconss7uh5.png
ps4-badge-demo-stalli27u84.png
ps4-badge-demo-yadojkud5.png

Have fun :) If Amir0x wasn't banned I might have suggested linking here in the OP, haha.

For anyone without an image editing app, the online Pixlr image editor is decent. Open both your avatar and the badge from URLs or files then Ctrl+A to select all, and copy/paste the badge on top of your avatar. Easy as anything.

Thanks for the badge. =)

Just ejected BF4 and went to put in another disc and it won't take it. Every five or so seconds the drive sounds like it is trying to eject a disc. Still happens even after I shut it off and turn it back on. Anyone else seen this? Am I screwed? I'm assuming I won't be out of pocket getting this fixed, it is barely a month old.

satam55

Banned
Hmmmm...

PlayStation 4, Xbox One Christmas Sales Show Sony Winning The Holidays

Posted: December 26, 2013, by David Cornell

PlayStation-4-Xbox-One-Christmas-sales-665x385.jpg

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and the last generation consoles were all big sellers over the Holiday season. According to retailers, the PS4 outsold the “Xbone” almost two to one. It seems Microsoft just made too many mistakes to even outsell the console that reinvented the launch hardware failure.

As previously reported by The Inquisitr, the recent Killer Instinct tournament showed us all that Microsoft never really did remove the DRM from their games. In the last round of the tournament, all of the players involved had to stop and sign in on Xbox Live just to prove they owned the game before the competition could finish. This may only be on first-party Xbone titles, but it’s enough to show us that Microsoft was at least partially lying about taking out DRM.

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One early adapters have been at each other’s throats for the last month. Xbox One owners are claiming that their next gen console is the only one with any real improvements, citing the Kinect. PS4 owners are pointing out the native resolution difference and even using some infamous semi-math to prove their point. Some have stated, “4 is greater than One,” poking fun at the console name itself.

Until the Steam Machine hits the shelves sometime this next year, we won’t have a clear winner. Some are already calling it the only real next gen console in the making because it’s being made with actual PC specifications, allowing gamers to freely swap out parts to upgrade performance.

Sony built the PlayStation 4 to allow users to swap out the hard drive easily, something you will need to do eventually; also previously reported by The Inquisitr. With games clocking in at up to 50 GB each and the operating system itself reportedly using a large amount of the hard drive, the 500 GB device just isn’t going to be enough if you plan on buying more than a few games. PlayStation 4 beats Xbox One over the hard drive in the Xbox One vs PS4 Holiday battle.

Microsoft seems to be playing their own game of “eventually” giving Xbox One owners everything they’re asking for, but the question is whether it will come at the same time as their vision of “the future.” We remember that line after the May reveal, when it looked obvious that the Xbox One was focused on almost everything except playing video games. Yes, the console can be used as a central media hub, but do we really want to trust Microsoft after they broke their DRM promise?

Where both consoles fail is the actual console value per dollar. Both the PS4 and Xbone are worth less for their total parts than the console actually costs the gamer, a first in the history of either one. As a result, neither one really feels like enough of an improvement to warrant being called a next gen console.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Christmas sales seem to be pointing to a definite win for Sony.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1074260/xbox-one-vs-ps4-playstation-4-xbone-christmas-sales/

Just ejected BF4 and went to put in another disc and it won't take it. Every five or so seconds the drive sounds like it is trying to eject a disc. Still happens even after I shut it off and turn it back on. Anyone else seen this? Am I screwed? I'm assuming I won't be out of pocket getting this fixed, it is barely a month old.

My disc drive just went to shit also, got my console on launch. I think this is a bigger problem than people think. Sony is sending me a box for repair.

Top Bottom